Name your 6 | The Boneyard

Name your 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East has decided to go to 12 in football. We are at 6 now, so what are your 6 additions?

I will assume that Boise will not happen for whatever reason.

My choices:

1) Temple - all sports - one of the best hoops programs available, solid football, Big East wants Philadelphia, Villanova is not realistic.

2) Navy - football only

3) Air Force - football only

4) SMU - all sports - big endowment, high interest in program, great market, commitment to winning.

5) Houston - all sports - great market for both hoops and football, A&M does NOT have this market.

6) UMass -football only - largest anchor school available is right in our own backyard. Big alumni base, lots of students, wealthy state. Our opposition to this school makes us gigantic hypocrites.

UCF and ECU just do not bring enough new markets or quality to the league to justify their inclusion. I can live with UCF, but it is not the best choice available.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'll take your first 5 then swap UMass with UCF.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
UCF
Houston
Air Force
Navy

drop-off

East Carolina
SMU/Temple

If possible, Boise would fill in one of the last two slots.

Reaction Score
The Big East has decided to go to 12 in football. We are at 6 now, so what are your 6 additions?

My choices:

1) Temple - all sports - one of the best hoops programs available, solid football, Big East wants Philadelphia, Villanova is not realistic.

2) Navy - football only

4) SMU - all sports - big endowment, high interest in program, great market, commitment to winning.

5) Houston - all sports - great market for both hoops and football, A&M does NOT have this market.

6) UMass -football only - largest anchor school available is right in our own backyard. Big alumni base, lots of students, wealthy state. Our opposition to this school makes us gigantic hypocrites.

UCF and ECU just do not bring enough new markets or quality to the league to justify their inclusion. I can live with UCF, but it is not the best choice available.
Good choices all, I wonder if SMU and Houston would eventually use the Big East to move to the Big 12 ala TCU. I would choose: Temple, Boise State, Navy, UMass, UCF and Memphis. Memphis and Temple for basketball as well; 12 football, 16 basketball schools.

Reaction Score

My choices:

2) Navy - football only

Opposing UMass because they will kill our BCS status is not the same as BCU opposing UConn. Not even remotely close.

In a previous post you suggested the BCS status was about markets. I suggest you read the link I gave you. It mentioned top 25 finishes and other on the field results, but nothing about markets.

In order of preference
BSU
UCF
BYU
Navy
SMU
Houston

I believe it will look more like:

UCF
Temple
Navy
Air Force
Houston
SMU

Reaction Score
I'd want Boise but also have a feeling it won't happen. I'll still put them on my list though. I'd like to see

1. SMU - Quality academic school with huge endowment in a great TV and recruiting market. Has a successful football history even though some is notorious, it will still generate interest.

2. Houston - Another school in Texas with some past football history, huge TV market and solidfies Big East pressence in TX for recruiting purposes.

3. UCF - Solidifies Big East in recruiting rich Florida and makes USF more relevant by giving them a truly high intensity in conference rivalry now upgraded to BCS level. Good sized TV market and huge fast growing school.

4. Temple - Solid basketball tradition in large market within traditional Big East footprint. Easy roadtrip and the program is getting better. Budding rivalry with UConn and sure to have rivalry with RU as well.

5. Boise State - good football school to strengthen the football conference as a football only member. Geography puts them near the bottom of my list though.

6/7. Navy and Air Force a wash for me. Service academies bring prestige and national following but they don't have a huge upside in my opinion. Will always be very limited for recruits as all players actually are cadets. I wouldn't mind seeing us add both and Boise State but thwith my other choises that would put us at 13 FB members.

Obviously we'd need to add another because 13 doesn't work unless we lose a couple of teams, which is very possible. Doesn't really matter between ECU and Nova. ECU is better for football but Nova is cheaper since they are already in for bball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UCF
Temple
Navy
Air Force
Houston
SMU[/quote]

This is my preference where Temple gets in for all sports. Navy and Air Force said they were a package deal so any lists with one or the other can't happen. I like the idea of two teams in Florida and Texas. If any of those four teams can establish themselves that would go a long way to giving the BE a bump.

Reaction Score
i think you have to assume Marinatto is trying to hold together the entire BE, bball and fball both included, with that said:

1. Memphis-i'm surprised so many people haven't included Memphis in their top 6. how can you want to take UMass before Memphis? use them to replace Pitt in all sports

2. i think Temple is a no brainer at this point if you're adding 6 teams, they have great location, good school, and Bill Cosby. use them to replace Cuse in all sports.

3. UCF could replace the theoretical spot of TCU

4. Nova upgrade. definitely not my top choice, but if you're trying to hold together this big mess of a conference, it'd be an easy warm body.

5-7 the service academies for football only. the travel to colorado isn't a big deal if it's just for football. i think the best chance of getting them is as a package, and while they're not the greatest teams, they've ranged from good to decent lately, and they'd be VERY attractive to Bowl games. i'd take any 2 of them, or 3 if Nova pusses out, which they probably will. Army and NAvy would be the ideal, but AFA is fine.

now that TCU is out of the picture, i don't really think SMU/Houston/whoever else over there makes sense. TCU didn't even sit at the table and has moved on. any school out there will never fit. the only exception would be AFA if we had Army and Navy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UCF
Temple
Nova

Football only -
Navy
AFA
Army

Not the strongest football configuration. But I figure UConn will eventually get out anyway, so go for the mostly eastern flavor.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter, they'll eventually go to super conferences and get rid of the BCS anyway.

Reaction Score
Assuming the current 6 remain:

UCF
Temple
Nova (longshot)
Houston
SMU
Navy (FB only)

If Ville &WVU bolt:

Air Force (FB only)
ECU

Can't see Boise coming - too far off the map.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UCF
Temple
ECU
Navy (football only)
Army (football only)
Appalachian State (football only)

Tighten up that footprint when we lose the AQ and have to bus to games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Top 3 for all sports inclusion:
Central Florida
Temple
Houston
---
Memphis
SMU

Football only:
Navy
Air Force

I wonder if and Navy would be able to compete week in and week out in a BCS conference. I definitely respect their programs (strictly talking football) but an upset here and there is a lot different than facing teams every year and being prepared for the option, etc.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
UMASS, are you serious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sneezy, Bashful, Doc, Sleepy, Grumpy, & Happy. We already have Dopey-he works out of Providence.

Just curious, how do you think "Dopey" could have saved the conference from this raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom