Name the 6 most unique players in a UConn uniform | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Name the 6 most unique players in a UConn uniform

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jeremy Lamb was pretty unique… guard with 6’11” wingspan and one of the best floaters I’ve ever seen in college.

View attachment 82260
He was the most stealth/under the radar player just because of his low-key demeanor and lanky easy athleticism. At the end of the game I would look at the box, score and see how many points he put up and be low-key surprised. He snuck up on you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tony Hanson -- just to get his name in here...
Well, if we’re doing that, I’ll throw in Walt Dropo.

Somebody in here referenced some woman’s players, certainly Paige Bueckers is one, but the one that I think of is Gabby Williams. She came in as a guard, but had such freaking athleticism that they played her as a power forward or center. I can’t even tell you how many times a game my draw would drop just seeing the things that she did. She was “Jackson – like” in many respects.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
He was the most stealth/under the radar player just because of his low-key demeanor and lanky easy athleticism. At the end of the game I would look at the box, score and see how many points he put up and be low-key surprised. He snuck up on you.
He made some plays ensconced in Huskie lore.

Reaction Score
Hasheem Thabeet is my #1, definitely a unique player
Tim Coles, at 6'5", one of our best rebounders
Khalid El-Amin, hard to describe how he got his body into spaces
Scott Burrell & Andre Jackson, great athletes
Shabazz Napier, limited in many ways, no one got more out of his body
As to KEA, I remember thinking "what the h_ll" when it was announced we had signed a 5'11", 220 lb., Point Guard........

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s a really subjective Category. No order.
  • Andre Jackson. Athletic, crazy speed with the ball For his size, great vision, weird shot, strangely not good scoring layups.
  • Lyman DePriest. So good on D you played him despite bad offense. One of the very early guys who could guard 1-4 (when 4s were big)
  • Scott Burrell. Tremendous athlete, good at everything. Before his time a bit. Today he’s exactly what every team wants. Like Jaylen Brown.
  • Cliff Robinson. Another guy ahead of his time. A perfect modern 4, with a handle, shot blocking and 3 point shooting ability at 6’10. Unique at the time.
  • Khalid. Stocky, short, looked out of shape, but played like a 23 year old as a Freshman and just knew how to score and make people better.
  • Marcus Williams. Just a passing machine. Every time we talk about players being really good passers and having great vision, they pale in comparison to Marcus. Just astonishing. So good at it he was a first round pick despite being too slow for the NBA and a mediocre shooter.

Reaction Score
Very few people mentioned Cliff Robinson. I’m really surprised. He was literally the first acknowledged stretch 4 in college and the NBA. We’re going back to around 1988. He was 6’10” could shoot the three, post, drive, etc. incredibly unique for the time, and even fairly rare now.
khalid and AJax are the other two who really stick out to me as unique.

Reaction Score
Unique can mean so many things. If you mean what they could bring to a game, I'd go with.

1.Andrew Jackson
2.Donyelll Marshall
3.Doron Sheffer
4.John Gwynn
5.Emeka Okafor
6.Nadav Henefeld

Though a mile apart athletically inclined, I think Jackson and Henefeld had the same affect on their teams. They made everybody around them better and could make an impact without scoring. Not to say "The Dove" couldn't score, but he could impact a game in other ways with just as much meaning.
I still miss Sheffer and his ability to drop dimes from 60 feet away with pinpoint accuracy.
Donyell was just a freak and I loved to watch Okafor work. Sanogo reminds me of him in the way he will just outwork and outwill an opponet at times.
Finally, Gwynn was just instant offense and despite his size could do a few different ways.

There are others who were unique in their own ways. It's hard to go wrong here. What about Toraino, Thabeet, Taliek (the one man fastbreak) Brown, DePriest, C. Smith, Allen, Caron Butler....etc.

I still don't think the Walker, Lamb title team gets enough credit for their defense during the tourney. People talk about how bad the teams the faced had horrible shooting nights. That team was not real big, but they had surprising length. Lamb and Oriakhi had unusually long arms... to the point where if you ever faced someone like that, it's a nightmare. You are constantly adjusting your shot mid-shot which is not good usually. Walker was a great on the ball defender.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Wes Bialosuknia​

Wesley John Bialosuknia (June 8, 1945 – October 23, 2013) was an American basketball player. He was a 6'2" (1.88 m) 185 lb (84 kg) guard, and played collegiately for the University of Connecticut Huskies. An accurate and prolific medium- and long-range jump shooter, Bialosuknia still holds the University of Connecticut season and career scoring average records: his 1966–67 average of 28.0 PPG ranked 5th in the nation. He also holds the UConn records for career scoring average of 23.6 pts per game and consecutive foul shots made (43). In 1967, he was the MVP of the annual North–South College All-Star Game.
efore he came to UConn.
He was selected by the St. Louis Hawks in the 4th round (37th pick overall) of the 1967 NBA draft and by the Oakland Oaks in the 1967 ABA Draft.

He played for the Oakland Oaks (1967–68) for 70 games and was variously nicknamed "The Mad Bomber" or "The Typographical Terror"; Bialosuknia finished 2nd in the league in 3-point shooting percentage, and his 9 consecutive 3-pointers made is tied for the most in ABA history.

Bialosuknia died at the age of 68 on October 23, 2013.[1]

So glad someone remembers Wes. Known as the "Poughkeepsie Popper" before he came to UConn. Played high school ball at FDR High School in Hyde Park, NY. He was a legend in the Poughkeepsie area.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
How is Thabeet not #1 on this list? Dude is 7'3. He single-handedly deterred guards from driving into the lane.
About to say the same. We literally had a defense that was let your man go by you and funnel him to Thabeet.

I’m with @tcf15 ’s list cuz dham also was up there in term’s of uniqueness. We’re not going to see another player like dham, Jackson, or thabeet. It’s not just a question of then being really good and it being rare to see someone as good. The specific package of skills and athletic talent is just not something you see.

Most of these are just lists of great players.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Any list that doesn't include Tony Hanson can only mean the poster never saw him play. It also means they can't appreciate the remarkable similarity between Andre Jackson and Tony Hanson in terms of that special combo of power, grace and athleticism.
I saw his Holy Cross team lose to Fitch in a great state tourney game in '73. That really good Fitch team turned around and lost to a Hartford Public squad with Dwight Tolliver -- it was an awesome tournament. Tony H. was the best player on UConn teams that struggled to compete in the early days of the Big East. He really was a phenomenal athlete.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Unique can mean so many things. If you mean what they could bring to a game, I'd go with.

1.Andrew Jackson
2.Donyelll Marshall
3.Doron Sheffer
4.John Gwynn
5.Emeka Okafor
6.Nadav Henefeld

Though a mile apart athletically inclined, I think Jackson and Henefeld had the same affect on their teams. They made everybody around them better and could make an impact without scoring. Not to say "The Dove" couldn't score, but he could impact a game in other ways with just as much meaning.
I still miss Sheffer and his ability to drop dimes from 60 feet away with pinpoint accuracy.
Donyell was just a freak and I loved to watch Okafor work. Sanogo reminds me of him in the way he will just outwork and outwill an opponet at times.
Finally, Gwynn was just instant offense and despite his size could do a few different ways.

There are others who were unique in their own ways. It's hard to go wrong here. What about Toraino, Thabeet, Taliek (the one man fastbreak) Brown, DePriest, C. Smith, Allen, Caron Butler....etc.

I still don't think the Walker, Lamb title team gets enough credit for their defense during the tourney. People talk about how bad the teams the faced had horrible shooting nights. That team was not real big, but they had surprising length. Lamb and Oriakhi had unusually long arms... to the point where if you ever faced someone like that, it's a nightmare. You are constantly adjusting your shot mid-shot which is not good usually. Walker was a great on the ball defender.
Don't forget Roscoe Smith ("the rebounding machine") Here he is with the black eye and stiches

1671883757626.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom