Name one UConn player in history to add to this team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Name one UConn player in history to add to this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Andre Drummond.
This is definitely one of the more interesting suggestions yet. While he was certainly underrated at UConn, given that we have Brimah, I'm not sure if I'd rather take him than sharp-shooting Giffey to play the stretch four.

Reaction Score
Charlie V. was only second team, so I'd take him.
if thats an a option, then yes. sorry roscoe, though he would fit well with his athleticism too at the 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Drummond or Sellers in a second. Sellers is still the greatest warrior we've had, except maybe Caron.

Reaction Score
We need a closer/vet. Alot of youngins on this team we need someone who can calm them down and get them back in line when they get erratic. I hope Purvis FTs improved because we need a guy that can hit his FTS under pressure. JA is probably our best closer.

Reaction Score
The team needs a 1st team all conference 4. Otherwise what is the point? We have enough other guys, we need a star, preferably one that scores in the post and rebounds.

True but then the thread would be filled with Ok4 or Donyell. This keeps it fun.

Reaction Score
I would love to add UConn legend from Bogalusa, Louisiana John Thomas. Monster on the boards in mid 70's. I think at that time played center at about 6 ' 8", but would be the perfect power forward for this team. I believe in his senior year he was in the top 5 in the country for rebounds per game at around 11 -12. Not a great scorer but did finish strong around the hoop.

Reaction Score
Why I picked Scott Burrell:

He played the 2 and the 3 at 6'7. We don't have a proven 3 or backup big 2.

I have no doubt Burrell could also help as an effective stretch 4, with his size and athleticism. ... and 750 rebounds ain't bad for a 2/3 guy either.

He was 3 time all Big East (2nd or 3rd team.)

Scott was an amazing defensive player with 6oish steals his freshman year despite mid-season surgery (300 for his career)...and he blocked shots... Including Shaq ...he used to run down guards on the breakaway, then match their stride then block them when they rose up to finish.

Heck he even jumped over a guy's head.

Reaction Score
I don't have the energy to go back more than a few years, so I would go with DeAndre (was he all conference?) or Giffey. Somebody like Giffey would be perfect on this team.

Reaction Score
We need a closer/vet. Alot of youngins on this team we need someone who can calm them down and get them back in line when they get erratic. I hope Purvis FTs improved because we need a guy that can hit his FTS under pressure. JA is probably our best closer.
Purvis was close to 80% from the stripe the second half of the season.

Reaction Score
Why I picked Scott Burrell:

He played the 2 and the 3 at 6'7. We don't have a proven 3 or backup big 2.

I have no doubt Burrell could also help as an effective stretch 4, with his size and athleticism. ... and 750 rebounds ain't bad for a 2/3 guy either.

He was 3 time all Big East (2nd or 3rd team.)

Scott was an amazing defensive player with 6oish steals his freshman year despite mid-season surgery (300 for his career)...and he blocked shots... Including Shaq ...he used to run down guards on the breakaway, then match their stride then block them when they rose up to finish.

Heck he even jumped over a guy's head.
His freshman year, he primarily played the 4. I also saw him face down Alonzo Mourning when Mourning was trying to be intimidating during a game. Good pick.

Reaction Score
This is a weird question, nobody has acknowledged how much the style of play has changed or even how players are just way more athletic from 2000-2017 than the previously. the OP should have asked what role player over the last ten years could we use, and if thats the case i gotta take giffey or scoe. Giffey is the best role player in uconn history so thats not a hard choice, but we could use scoe's ranginess. ( i did say charlie v originally, that would also be perfect but the guy would be the best player on the team BY FAR).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Nice post.

I'm thinking we don't need much help at the guard spot. Adams, Gilbert, Purvis, and Vital should be OK.

Now the 4/5 spots are also solid. I don't think it makes much sense to add a center or low-post power forward to this team. Amida provides defense and energy, Facey can hopefully rebound and defend, and Enoch we will hope to maybe see him get some looks down low and defend better than last year. Durham and Diarra hopefully rebound and anything offensively is cake. There isn't much room down there for another big. We can rotate Larrier and Jackson in there too if need be.

I think the 3 we could use some help. If, and its a big if, Larrier proves to be the rebounder we expect him to be, I would have no issue sliding him to the 4 and picking up another 3 that can shoot from the arc. Jackson is a question mark, especially after the endurance exposures we've seen in practice - but he's young and its early. He'll be fine.

So I'm going with two hybrid 3/4's starting with Larrier, then rounding out my 5 with Brimah, Purvis, Adams, and DeAndre Daniels.

Gives us interior scoring, a 3-pt threat, and a post-presence on offense and defense. A pick and pop guy which this team currently lacks, unless Larrier proves he can knock down the 3.

Reaction Score
Nice post.

I'm thinking we don't need much help at the guard spot. Adams, Gilbert, Purvis, and Vital should be OK.

Now the 4/5 spots are also solid. I don't think it makes much sense to add a center or low-post power forward to this team. Amida provides defense and energy, Facey can hopefully rebound and defend, and Enoch we will hope to maybe see him get some looks down low and defend better than last year. Durham and Diarra hopefully rebound and anything offensively is cake. There isn't much room down there for another big. We can rotate Larrier and Jackson in there too if need be.

I think the 3 we could use some help. If, and its a big if, Larrier proves to be the rebounder we expect him to be, I would have no issue sliding him to the 4 and picking up another 3 that can shoot from the arc. Jackson is a question mark, especially after the endurance exposures we've seen in practice - but he's young and its early. He'll be fine.

So I'm going with two hybrid 3/4's starting with Larrier, then rounding out my 5 with Brimah, Purvis, Adams, and DeAndre Daniels.

Gives us interior scoring, a 3-pt threat, and a post-presence on offense and defense. A pick and pop guy which this team currently lacks, unless Larrier proves he can knock down the 3.

Surprised nobody else thought of this. Genius. DeAndre would be that perfect stretch 4 which would allow Larrier to play his natural position (the 3).

Reaction Score
Might have a little recency bias here but I was thinking Shonn Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member