Naismith women’s basketball coach of the year candidates | The Boneyard

Naismith women’s basketball coach of the year candidates

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've said before that Moren should win and deserves it.

Not having Geno on this list with what he had to deal with this season is a joke. I guess they look at it like he's won plenty. Schaeffer? Dealt with a lot of injuries I hear and briefly fell out of the top 25

Joe T won BE COY yet Charlie has them on the bubble and maybe not making the tournament. I guess upsetting UConn puts one on the list. I would have given BE COY to Dillon.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think it should be Moren or Brooks. BUT, with 10 candidates to choose from, it is absolutely a joke Geno isn't there. I didn't expect him to win, but not to be recognized with what he went through this year is a slap in the face. Lets win this thing and finish what we started.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course Geno is NOT on the list.....he has been way too successful and shouldn't be recognized anymore, per the media. My suggestion, since he has been "retired" from winning any more COY , either from the Big East or Nationally, they should just name the awards, The Geno Auriemma Coach of the Year Award(s).

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Of course Geno is NOT on the list.....he has been way too successful and shouldn't be recognized anymore, per the media. My suggestion, since he has been "retired" from winning any more COY , either from the Big East or Nationally, they should just name the awards, The Geno Auriemma Coach of the Year Award(s).
No, I think the National Championship trophy should be named after him.

Reaction Score
And you know he won't be on it next year either because everyone will say a senior laden team that has Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Nika, Aaliyah, and Caroline is expected to go 39-0 and win the national championship.

Reaction Score
And you know he won't be on it next year either because everyone will say a senior laden team that has Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Nika, Aaliyah, and Caroline is expected to go 39-0 and win the national championship.
The Monster ...lol

Pilot B52

Pilot B52
Reaction Score
I believe the committee has overlooked Washington State's Camille Ethridge. With a 9-9 conference record they beat four higher ranked teams and won the Pac 12 tournament championship. WSU is a school that no one notices and does not attract any of the top HS players. So, Camille beat the bushes and brought in Five international players no one heard of from around the globe from New Zealand to Africa and got them ready at tournament time. WSU girls had never won any conference or tournament championship. Never. very impressive and refreshing.

Reaction Score
Mulkey has turned a mediocre program into a contender in her second year. That is something. Dawn Staley has everyone back from the NC last year so she not likely to win this year. Ivey from ND is and interesting one though. She has done a really good job of taking over a program from a legend and making it work. I would support her getting some recognition. Vic absolutely not. To me though I would have to go with Roberts from Utah. She beat a lot of ranked teams with a team that not too many expected great things from this season. Before the last week of the season I would have said Moren but she had a loaded team coming back and I think she could win but most likely will finish 2.

As far as Geno. 5 losses to him is like 12 to anyone else. He always talks about the expectations at UCONN for a player are very high, will they are for him too. He did a good job this year for sure but no worthy of COA consideration. But then again neither is Vic.

Reaction Score
What a travesty! To leave Geno off this list is simply unbelievable! Sure, he doesn’t have to win (though I think he should) but to not even include him is ludicrous and shameful! I doubt any of those other coaches could lose the players UConn has lost and still be regular season and tournament conference champion and a 2 seed for the NCAAs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As far as Geno. 5 losses to him is like 12 to anyone else. He always talks about the expectations at UCONN for a player are very high, will they are for him too. He did a good job this year for sure but no worthy of COA consideration. But then again neither is Vic.
UConn has 29 wins. How many other teams in the top 25 have that many victories? UConn has done that while winning 11 games against top 25 NET teams and playing the toughest schedule. How many other teams have that many wins against top NET teams? UConn won the regular season conference title as well as the conference tourney. And Geno has done it with a cobbled together half a team at times and without his best players. If Geno can't win it this year, then when can he?

Reaction Score
I believe the committee has overlooked Washington State's Camille Ethridge. With a 9-9 conference record they beat four higher ranked teams and won the Pac 12 tournament championship. WSU is a school that no one notices and does not attract any of the top HS players. So, Camille beat the bushes and brought in Five international players no one heard of from around the globe from New Zealand to Africa and got them ready at tournament time. WSU girls had never won any conference or tournament championship. Never. very impressive and refreshing.
Definitely deserves more credit for what she's done to compete in a tough PAC12 conference. She had to get creative, relying on international recruits and beat some great programs at the same time, including Utah. The Athletic chose her for their Coach of the Year, which was nice to see.

Reaction Score
I think the race is between Dawn (obviously), Teri Moren and Kenny Brooks who came through through like a thief in the night the past couple months.

I think the omission of Geno is insane, losing three seniors, without your best player for the season and second best for half the season, still a Top 10 team. He should be there over Schaefer.

I’d also argue that Brenda Frese should be here. A mass exodus in transfers, no true post-players, but still put together a very successful season.

Whoever wins, I’m sure it’ll be well deserved.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid list. There is always a host of other coaches that get left off these lists sometimes.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wonder when the votes were collected for this award? If the votes were taken before the tournament, I can understand how Camie Ethridge was overlooked in lieu of the work Lynn Roberts did at Utah during the regular season. However, if the vote was taken after the tourney, I have no idea how Ethridge could be overlooked.

My vote goes to Teri Moren, who lost three starters from a very good team last year and replaced them with one sub from last year, a freshman from Israel and a transfer. She then lost her floor general for weeks and excelled anyway. Well done.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My top 5
1. Moren
2. Roberts
3. Brooks
4. Staley
5. Mulkey

Schaefer, Tartemella, Ivey and Dillon do not belong on the “National” list As they haven’t achieved anything “Nationally noteworthy“

Reaction Score
My top 5
1. Moren
2. Roberts
3. Brooks
4. Staley
5. Mulkey

Schaefer, Tartemella, Ivey and Dillon do not belong on the “National” list As they haven’t achieved anything “Nationally noteworthy“

I think you are wrong about Ivey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom