Naismith women’s basketball coach of the year candidates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Naismith women’s basketball coach of the year candidates

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is exactly why Dawn shouldn’t be on the list this year; she had too much returning talent to NOT win. I’d also say Mulkey has not played a schedule worthy of COY and she even admitted she made an easy schedule based on who she thought she had coming in/back this year.
So should Geno have not been a finalist for the award during all of his undefeated seasons? He always had far more talent than anyone else.

It's mind boggling to me that someone would suggest Staley hasn't done a top 10 coaching job this year while leading her team to an undefeated season.

Reaction Score
So should Geno have not been a finalist for the award during all of his undefeated seasons? He always had far more talent than anyone else.

It's mind boggling to me that someone would suggest Staley hasn't done a top 10 coaching job this year while leading her team to an undefeated season.
No, he shouldn’t have. Dawn is a tremendous coach and so are Geno and Kim, but Dawn brought back the core of last year’s national championship team and brought in some extra talent, too. Kim played a subpar schedule, so her win-loss record is somewhat deceiving. I don’t think Geno should’ve won in 2016 (2015-16 season) when he had Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck coming back plus the freshmen and sophomore classes he had that year. That year was an embarrassment of riches and there were likely other candidates that did more with less. That’s who should win COY—the coach that exceeds any/all expectations given their circumstances. That’s what Geno did this year given the injuries before and during the season. To say Staley deserves the award this year to a huge disservice to what Geno was able to do this season despite so much adversity on and off the court. Staley absolutely is a great coach, but top 10 this year? That’s a stretch.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
No, he shouldn’t have. Dawn is a tremendous coach and so are Geno and Kim, but Dawn brought back the core of last year’s national championship team and brought in some extra talent, too. Kim played a subpar schedule, so her win-loss record is somewhat deceiving. I don’t think Geno should’ve won in 2016 (2015-16 season) when he had Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck coming back plus the freshmen and sophomore classes he had that year. That year was an embarrassment of riches and there were likely other candidates that did more with less. That’s who should win COY—the coach that exceeds any/all expectations given their circumstances. That’s what Geno did this year given the injuries before and during the season. To say Staley deserves the award this year to a huge disservice to what Geno was able to do this season despite so much adversity on and off the court. Staley absolutely is a great coach, but top 10 this year? That’s a stretch.

With that logic Geno also misses out on literally half of his COY awards (2016, 2009, 2002, and 2000) and you could make a case he shouldn't have any at all considering he's consistently had more talent than anyone the past 3 decades. If you go undefeated, you usually haul in the hardware regardless if you were preseason #1 or not. 13 past recipients have won Naismith Coach of the Year for leading their teams to undefeated records through the regular season.

The award isn't who has exceeded expectations or overcome the most adversity, it's who has done the best job. Dawn's team has dominated in a year filled with parity, going undefeated vs the #3 SOS in the country. To say 10 coaches have done a better coaching job than her is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
UConn has 29 wins. How many other teams in the top 25 have that many victories? UConn has done that while winning 11 games against top 25 NET teams and playing the toughest schedule. How many other teams have that many wins against top NET teams? UConn won the regular season conference title as well as the conference tourney. And Geno has done it with a cobbled together half a team at times and without his best players. If Geno can't win it this year, then when can he?
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up! For this team, after what it’s been through, to have two conference titles, at least a two, maybe even a one seed for the big tournament, and a legitimate shot at it’s 15th consecutive final four, is simply incredible! I’d like to see another coach who could do the same! Obviously people can have different opinions on who should actually win, but to not even include him on the list of most deserving coaches is, in my view, a travesty!

Reaction Score
We're talking about two different things here: who should be on the list of 10 finalists, and who should win the award. I don't believe Dawn Staley should win, but I absolutely agree that she should be on the list of finalists. Auriemma, by the way, has won the most awards (8), but didn't win when Connecticut went undefeated in 2010 and 2014. Auriemma not being in the top 10 is as much a fiasco as Angel Reese being left off the 15 Wooden finalists.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
We're talking about two different things here: who should be on the list of 10 finalists, and who should win the award. I don't believe Dawn Staley should win, but I absolutely agree that she should be on the list of finalists. Auriemma, by the way, has won the most awards (8), but didn't win when Connecticut went undefeated in 2010 and 2014. Auriemma not being in the top 10 is as much a fiasco as Angel Reese being left off the 15 Wooden finalists.
Worth noting, both winners in 2010 and 2014 coached their teams to undefeated seasons entering the NCAA tournament, so the award still went to an undefeated coach.

Reaction Score
Worth noting, both winners in 2010 and 2014 coached their teams to undefeated seasons entering the NCAA tournament, so the award still went to an undefeated coach.
So your argument is that a coach who is undefeated in the regular season (Nebraska actually lost in the Big 12 tournament, which may have happened after they voted) should win if they are the only one?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Supposedly, talent wasn't the reason Reese was not on the list. It could have been character or academics.

Reaction Score

The Wooden Award has a list of criteria and Reese didn't meet the components. She is listed as a semi-finalist on the Naismith awards for Player of the Year. She's getting her due.

Supposedly, talent wasn't the reason Reese was not on the list. It could have been character or academics.

It's not supposedly, it's definitely that talent wasn't the reason. Both LSU's Athletic Department and Coach Mulkey confirmed she didn't meet criteria. Mulkey even referenced GPA being the likely reason.

Reaction Score
With that logic Geno also misses out on literally half of his COY awards (2016, 2009, 2002, and 2000) and you could make a case he shouldn't have any at all considering he's consistently had more talent than anyone the past 3 decades. If you go undefeated, you usually haul in the hardware regardless if you were preseason #1 or not. 13 past recipients have won Naismith Coach of the Year for leading their teams to undefeated records through the regular season.

The award isn't who has exceeded expectations or overcome the most adversity, it's who has done the best job. Dawn's team has dominated in a year filled with parity, going undefeated vs the #3 SOS in the country. To say 10 coaches have done a better coaching job than her is ludicrous.
None of what you said negates my points. The coach with the most talent—especially returning talent—should not be given the award just because they went undefeated. Going undefeated means next to nothing besides (assuming we’re talking undefeated in both the regular and post season) a national championship. Is it difficult? Clearly it is, or more teams would’ve done it. Is it impressive and the signs of a great coach? Absolutely, and that’s how that coach should be remembered. Is it worthy of COY when that coach has the reigning POY and almost all key contributors back? No, it’s not. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

Again, Staley is an outstanding coach; no one’s denying that. However, she had the best team coming into this season by nearly every measure and that has rarely been in question. To say that there aren’t 10 other coaches that dealt with more adversity, defied expectations, and/or did more with less this season is outright wrong and you know it.

How is exceeding expectations in the face of adversity not a sign of a great coach? You’re really saying a coaching job like what Geno has managed this year despite injuries and other issues doesn’t deserve to be on this list over Dawn? Why? Because he didn’t go undefeated? COY should go to the coach that did the best job that year. That’s why it’s called coach of the YEAR and not “coach that won the most” or “coach that did what they were expected to do”. It’s literally about who did the best coaching job given their situation that year. Saying anything else is just nonsense.

Reaction Score
The award is supposed to be for the season. Some teams might underachieve seriously in the season then get a Cinderella run through the tourney. Would the coach deserve Coach of the Year for six games?
YES! they would deserve it... its getting ready for march that the season is all about :)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So your argument is that a coach who is undefeated in the regular season (Nebraska actually lost in the Big 12 tournament, which may have happened after they voted) should win if they are the only one?
I’m pointing out that if there is a team (or teams) that are undefeated through the regular season or entire season, their coach almost always takes home the NCOY hardware. By my count there have been 14 seasons since 1995 where a team went undefeated through the regular season, and 13 of the NCOY awards went to a coach of one of those undefeated teams.

Based on that precedent, to suggest Dawn shouldn’t even be a top 10 finalist after leading her team to an undefeated season is crazy considering that history says someone in her position is probably a lock for the award. I have no problem if she doesn’t win since others have had great coaching seasons too, but she absolutely deserves to be in the top 10. If I had a vote it’d be a toss up between her and Moren.

Reaction Score
I’m pointing out that if there is a team (or teams) that are undefeated through the regular season or entire season, their coach almost always takes home the NCOY hardware. By my count there have been 14 seasons since 1995 where a team went undefeated through the regular season, and 13 of the NCOY awards went to a coach of one of those undefeated teams.

Based on that precedent, to suggest Dawn shouldn’t even be a top 10 finalist after leading her team to an undefeated season is crazy considering that history says someone in her position is probably a lock for the award. I have no problem if she doesn’t win since others have had great coaching seasons too, but she absolutely deserves to be in the top 10. If I had a vote it’d be a toss up between her and Moren.
Then why even have a vote on the award? Just give it to whatever coach whose team has the best record.

Reaction Score
This is a good topic for debate, with lots of great opinions. Now, if I had the opportunity to nominate and vote, I’d replace Kim Mulkey with Geno. And my main reasons would be — a) strength of schedule, regardless of conferences, and b) performance. UCONN has endured an injury-filled season, and has done a masterful performance, thus far.

Reaction Score
Geno has won HOW MANY TIMES ? I agree this year was, at the end , spectacular coaching.
Schaefer (sp?) was good to be on this list. MULKEY---IT PAINS ME-- Did well.
STALEY--yes, she'll win it all--but GREAT COACHING??---5 experienced (probably more), INJURIES?? , the obviously most effective player in this years class--didn't take much coaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom