Mythical Foul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mythical Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
Definitely. Also, having a coach who's incapable of drawing up late-game plays doesn't help.

(Are we allowed to criticize Ollie yet, or is he still untouchable around these parts?)

On the previous two possessions, out of timeouts (one we called at about 2:45, and then a media TO at 2:00), he drew up plays for Bazz - one resulted in an open 20-foot two pointer since he stepped on the line, and the other resulted in a foul as Bazz got open, gave an up fake and got landed on. We only had one timeout left after that. In hindsight, we should have called one on the second to last possession and maybe drew something up to try to get a better look, but I'm not going to kill him for that since many coaches don't like to call their last one too soon. Instead, we kept the ball away from our weaker ballhandlers/decision makers and put the ball in our best player's hands. Obviously, the evidence shows that it didn't work, so if people want to call it a mistake, hard to argue. Part of me understands the fear of swinging the ball around and seeing DD get trapped or Kromah forced to put it on the floor (or OC if he's in).

But "give it to Bazz" has been largely ineffective in the last minute all year so we could use something more unpredictable.

Reaction Score
On the previous two possessions, out of timeouts (one we called at about 2:45, and then a media TO at 2:00), he drew up plays for Bazz - one resulted in an open 20-foot two pointer since he stepped on the line, and the other resulted in a foul as Bazz got open, gave an up fake and got landed on. We only had one timeout left after that. In hindsight, we should have called one on the second to last possession and maybe drew something up to try to get a better look, but I'm not going to kill him for that since many coaches don't like to call their last one too soon. Instead, we kept the ball away from our weaker ballhandlers/decision makers and put the ball in our best player's hands. Obviously, the evidence shows that it didn't work, so if people want to call it a mistake, hard to argue. Part of me understands the fear of swinging the ball around and seeing DD get trapped or Kromah forced to put it on the floor (or OC if he's in).

But "give it to Bazz" has been largely ineffective in the last minute all year so we could use something more unpredictable.

Plus, there were nine seconds left on the clock following the made free throws to put Houston ahead, so it isn't as if we would have had time to draw up a play (I know you're referring to a different possession, but a lot of people are wondering why a timeout wasn't called with nine seconds left). I actually like the decision to force the issue following the made free throws rather than allowing Houston to set up their defense. As a senior, Shabazz has to know that taking it all the way to the basket there as a six foot guard probably isn't the best course of action - drive to the paint and either take a mid-range jumper or kick it out.

Reaction Score
champs99and04 said:
Plus, there were nine seconds left on the clock following the made free throws to put Houston ahead, so it isn't as if we would have had time to draw up a play (I know you're referring to a different possession, but a lot of people are wondering why a timeout wasn't called with nine seconds left). I actually like the decision to force the issue following the made free throws rather than allowing Houston to set up their defense. As a senior, Shabazz has to know that taking it all the way to the basket there as a six foot guard probably isn't the best course of action - drive to the paint and either take a mid-range jumper or kick it out.

Yeah - I agree with you. We might not be able to get the ball in Bazz's hands if we called one. They could have run two guys at him, ignored the inbounds passer and made someone else bring it up. Since the ball went into Bazz and he had a head of steam, let him go. If we call a timeout, we might be taking it out of his hands for the last time.

Bazz had a window for a Kemba vs Nova-type floater or a pull-up from 10-12 feet, or he could have maybe tried to draw contact if he went all the way to the rim. Frankly, if we had drawn something up in a timeout and got Bazz on a cut going down the middle - basically open for a short window - with such little time to work with, I'd have signed up for that and said great play design.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
No excuses for losing that game. Should not have come down to the wire.
Now that I got that out of the way, I've always thought that Olander is the king of the phantom foul. There seems to be more garbage fould called on him than any other player. Maybe it's my untrained eye, but it sure seems that way. On a side note, my untrained eye also says that he gets his shot blocked more than any other player in the country.

Reaction Score
No excuses for losing that game. Should not have come down to the wire.
Now that I got that out of the way, I've always thought that Olander is the king of the phantom foul. There seems to be more garbage fould called on him than any other player. Maybe it's my untrained eye, but it sure seems that way. On a side note, my untrained eye also says that he gets his shot blocked more than any other player in the country.

Wolf was the King and TO is the heir to the throne………Amidah gets a couple here and there too……..guess you need to establish yourself with some referee's usually meaning the crappy one's. And there's plenty who have no right carrying a whistle!

Reaction Score

That was the same play ran twice with different players. Bazz set the down screen for the SF to cut to the far corner and the PF came up to set the screen for the screener one step in from the foul line. I like the play, and think it can be our best option for getting Bazz open in late game situations. It should be a multi threat play once teams scout it and bring a defender to meet Bazz coming off the double action screens.

As far as late game coaching, I'll leave that to KO as I'm sure him and JC have discussed it at length.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He essentially started his dribble by grabbing the ball with both hands and throwing it forward. When he got to the ball at the other end, he grabbed it with both hands again. Had he dribbled it when he got to it instead of putting both hands on it, he would have been fine. Since he grabbed it first, he discontinued his dribble HD then continued it again, which is illegal.

I believe Bazz felt he didn't have posession when he pushed the ball ahead and then was free to start his dribble when he chased it down. And there are no doubt a few officials who might have interpreted it the same way. But it looked like a double dribble to me.

There was one where Boat made a beautiful crossover though, and got called for palming. Like most crossovers, there was probably a little palming involved. But not nearly as bad as maybe 30 other instances in just about every game that aren't called palming.

Reaction Score
I believe Bazz felt he didn't have posession when he pushed the ball ahead and then was free to start his dribble when he chased it down. And there are no doubt a few officials who might have interpreted it the same way. But it looked like a double dribble to me.

There was one where Boat made a beautiful crossover though, and got called for palming. Like most crossovers, there was probably a little palming involved. But not nearly as bad as maybe 30 other instances in just about every game that aren't called palming.

The carry call was awful and right after one they called on Houston, seemed to me a make up call to me. If the guy doesn't get an advantage they should never call it, or shall I say never START calling it. The carry is allowed more than ever, it's the one where the guys take 2 steps with their hand under the ball which amaze me. Ever watch Bria Hartley handle the ball - she is a human carrying machine! LOL

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The carry call was awful and right after one they called on Houston, seemed to me a make up call to me. If the guy doesn't get an advantage they should never call it, or shall I say never START calling it. The carry is allowed more than ever, it's the one where the guys take 2 steps with their hand under the ball which amaze me. Ever watch Bria Hartley handle the ball - she is a human carrying machine! LOL

Hell, Magic did it his whole career, when he was walking the ball up court un-guarded.

Reaction Score

Or Michael Carter Williams everytime he touches it. Either call it everytime it happens or none at all.

Reaction Score
He reached into the cookie jar a little. I don't think he even came close to touching him, but he gave the ref the opportunity to imagine it. With a guy in the process of taking a garbage shot, there's no need.

refs never call that though, usually at end of a tie game, you need to get hammered for them to blow the whistle. This was a guy moving away from the basket, with a defender having one hand near his back and no clear foul contact. Complete and utter crap call, to decide the game, thanks refs

Reaction Score
refs never call that though, usually at end of a tie game, you need to get hammered for them to blow the whistle. This was a guy moving away from the basket, with a defender having one hand near his back and no clear foul contact. Complete and utter crap call, to decide the game, thanks refs

Again was an awful call, pitiful quite honestly and I have no idea what he was thinking but it's not on them KC, it's on our guys in the first half. No blame goes anywhere but the Huskies and maybe the staff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom