Myrtle Beach | The Boneyard

Myrtle Beach

Reaction Score
I've never been there, the kids want to go, any thoughts of where to stay.

It's hit or Miss with online travel guides

Reaction Score
...went there several times with the kids...stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park for 4 years in a row, and rented Ocean Villas. Not luxury, but lots to do for kids on the grounds - pool, lazy river, etc...and it has its own private beach, so never too crowded. You can stay in a high rise hotel on the beach, too, but this seemed much more chill. Of course, there's golf everywhere...plus lotsa mini golf, shopping, lotta decent restaurants, and a water park or two. Another option, might be AirBnB...

Reaction Score
I would look at Surfside Beach, just south of Myrtle. I usually rent a condo. I really like Ocean Isle NC, about 40min north of Myrtle as well. I try to not stay in Myrtle itself.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I would look at Surfside Beach, just south of Myrtle. I usually rent a condo. I really like Ocean Isle NC, about 40min north of Myrtle as well. I try to not stay in Myrtle itself.
Agreed. However for kids, I don't know. Never looked. All I know is it was lined with bars. Most stretching out to the Ocean. Patios, Decks, outside bars. Had a friend who lived there. Has a house, paid a total of $600 a year in taxes. Anyway, I always stayed on South Ocean Blvd. Everyone is different, Wife was into country so we headed to the Alabama theater a few times, House of Blues.It all depends what you like.

Reaction Score
Why Myrtle Beach?

Their friends from school I guess. We've been everywhere else, VA, MA,MD, FL, RI, CA. It's kind of the only place we haven't done beach wise.

It's sort of last minute, trying to juggle vacation with upcoming summer camps and music concerts.

All of the big names tour the east coast in June and July, it's really hard planning anything with our schedules.

Anyway, thank you all for the advice. I'll keep checking.

We might just hit Newport, always a favorite place.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
<Typical Boneyard post> I don't know anything about Myrtle Beach but I think you should check out Virginia Beach.</Typical Boneyard post where person gives recommendation that has nothing to do with the OP>

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Been to Myrtle a ton (live in Charlotte). Its fun but honestly stay in Litchfield or Surfside Beach. You can drive into the pandemonium in downtown Myrtle if you want but the beaches are way nicer and you'll be around a much better clientele.

I second renting a condo. Theres tons of condo/golf deals if you're into that sort of thing. If you insist on a hotel, Marriott OceanWatch Villas Grand Dunes is a great place.

Can't stress enough how badly being in downtown Myrtle Beach sucks (unless you're 21-30). There's actually some pretty good food though, happy to offer suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Reaction Score
Used to go to Myrtle on golf trips every year and always rented a condo. We preferred North Myrtle. There are a million condos available and suggest you check on line. Never rented a beach condo but there are plenty for rent.
According to a former MB waitress the summer tourists are mostly families from the South. I think she called them hillbillies. Good luck.

Reaction Score
Wife just mentioned about wanting to going to DC!!!!!

Going out of my mind

Reaction Score
@B1GEast Drew's comments are spot on. Myrtle Beach, especially the downtown area with crappy multi-story hotels, rundown motels, etc, is favored by a good number of trashy people of various hues. Unless your children are truly driving the bus and absolutly must go to the Carolinas to keep up with their perceptions, consider some of the places Drew mentioned, Beaufort, nicer quality NC Outer Banks beach towns, etc. Other than a quick drive by in Myrtle Beach, ideally not the literal firearms type, hard to fathom why most quality CT residents would have any desire to visit Myrtle Beach. Good luck placating your children!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
North Myrtle is fine and the Marriott timeshare and hotel there are good. There are things to do for kids outside the downtown where we haven’t bothered to go except the above mentioned drive by. Beaufort is very nice but not particularly for a kiddie trip and far from Myrtle, close to Hilton Head. You can find all kinds of good food all around there and pig out at buffets if you want, most featuring sea food. The area called Murrell’s Inlet just south of Myrtle with walkways in the marsh area and a lot of restaurants along the walk is pretty nice. Golf courses everywhere.

Reaction Score
Beaufort is very nice but not particularly for a kiddie trip and far from Myrtle, close to Hilton Head. You can find all kinds of good food all around there and pig out at buffets if you want, most featuring sea food. The area called Murrell’s Inlet just south of Myrtle with walkways in the marsh area and a lot of restaurants along the walk is pretty nice. Golf courses everywhere.
Exactly, Beaufort has has plenty to keep people of all ages entertained and far away from the dump that is Myrtle Beach and most of its' trashy riff raff visitors. Yes, some areas removed from downtown Myrtle Beach are OK. Not Myrtle Beach itself and fewer troublemakers, but no known drive bys, etc., so OK. Miniature golf perhaps, but most children won't golf. @Drew is the guy for @B1GEast to further validate alternatives to the so-so Myrtle Beach area.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Exactly, Beaufort has has plenty to keep people of all ages entertained and far away from the dump that is Myrtle Beach and most of its' trashy riff raff visitors. Yes, some areas removed from downtown Myrtle Beach are OK. Not Myrtle Beach itself and fewer troublemakers, but no known drive bys, etc., so OK. Miniature golf perhaps, but most children won't golf. @Drew is the guy for @B1GEast to further validate alternatives to the so-so Myrtle Beach area.

Are you guys talking about Beaufort SC? My parents have lived in the area since the mid 90's. I wouldn't take kids there. The only nearby beach is Hunting Island, which is quite a drive. And it's a state park beach not exactly ideal for kids.

If you are making the run all the way to the southern part of South Carolina, just go to Hilton Head. Very kid friendly, insane amount of beach-front and lots to do. On the west side the water is calm and there are lots of water sports. You can make day trips to Beaufort or to Savannah quite easily. Tagging @B1GEast

Alternatively, further north, there is beach town just south of Charleston called Folly Beach. Uniquely Folly

And another in Edisto that my parents used to boat to. 15 Best Things to Do in Edisto Island - 2018 (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Reaction Score
Are you guys talking about Beaufort SC? My parents have lived in the area since the mid 90's. I wouldn't take kids there. The only nearby beach is Hunting Island, which is quite a drive. And it's a state park beach not exactly ideal for kids.

If you are making the run all the way to the southern part of South Carolina, just go to Hilton Head. Very kid friendly, insane amount of beach-front and lots to do. On the west side the water is calm and there are lots of water sports. You can make day trips to Beaufort or to Savannah quite easily. Tagging @B1GEast

Alternatively, further north, there is beach town just south of Charleston called Folly Beach. Uniquely Folly

And another in Edisto that my parents used to boat to. 15 Best Things to Do in Edisto Island - 2018 (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Thank you all, very good stuff to keep in mind. We'll be hitting DC and I've been there several times and already have accommodations.

Boneyarders are knowledgeable!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom