Mychal Johnson (Notre Dame) tears ACL | The Boneyard

Mychal Johnson (Notre Dame) tears ACL

Reaction Score
No Turner and now no Johnson.... Looks like ND might not be a favorite to win the ACC this year...

Reaction Score
This is so very, very bad. I am so sorry for her and for the Irish. I can't imagine how down she must feel right now. All the work put into getting ready for a season and then a random movement ends it. A year (or more) of rehab and sitting on the bench watching her teammates. I know that "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger," but (and here I am departing from Nietzsche's text a bit) this sucks.

Reaction Score
Too bad about the injury, but I always get confused by ND press releases that quote Coach McGraw, because it always says her full title: "Karen & Kevin Keyes Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw."

Reaction Score
Plus Westbeld isn't going to start practicing until November.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Too bad about the injury, but I always get confused by ND press releases that quote Coach McGraw, because it always says her full title: "Karen & Kevin Keyes Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw."

Karen & Kevin donated a lot of money to be part of McGraw's title. Karen and Kevin Keyes endowed the Notre Dame head women’s basketball coaching position. I have an uncle who donated a lot of money to his alma mater to have a building erected with his name on it. When they unveiled it, he told them for the millions he donated the letters needed to be bigger to be seen across the campus. They made the letters bigger. Get used to seeing McGraw's full title. Money talks. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
doesn't talk, it swears... ("It's Alright Ma [I'm Only Bleeding]")

dead right about the donor thing. Names get stuck on positions as well as buildings.
Also Stanford. Not only is Tara endowed, but I think her Associate Head Coach is as well. Likewise, I believe the head coach of Yale has the long title.

Endowments are wonderful things. The fan club at RU gives an endowed scholarship, although it is far from fully funded.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can't even... Head bang

Makes my heart hurt every time I read about an injury like that. Just horrible, and so sad for Mychal. Prayers and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery...

Reaction Score
Karen & Kevin donated a lot of money to be part of McGraw's title. Karen and Kevin Keyes endowed the Notre Dame head women’s basketball coaching position. I have an uncle who donated a lot of money to his alma mater to have a building erected with his name on it. When they unveiled it, he told them for the millions he donated the letters needed to be bigger to be seen across the campus. They made the letters bigger. Get used to seeing McGraw's full title. Money talks. :)
Yeah, but it's one thing to give money so your name's on a building. It's another thing altogether to give money so your name is on someone else's name. That, IMHO, is just plain weird.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I can see it now....... The Chef Boyardee UConn Head Coach Geno Auriemma.......:(

images

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Also Stanford. Not only is Tara endowed, but I think her Associate Head Coach is as well. Likewise, I believe the head coach of Yale has the long title.
Endowments are wonderful things. The fan club at RU gives an endowed scholarship, although it is far from fully funded.
One of my daughters former teammates made a recruiting visit to Syracuse she decided to sign because Carmelo Anthony was actually there working out in the practice facility for which he had donated money and bears his name.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This is so very, very bad. I am so sorry for her and for the Irish. I can't imagine how down she must feel right now. All the work put into getting ready for a season and then a random movement ends it. A year (or more) of rehab and sitting on the bench watching her teammates. I know that "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger," but (and here I am departing from Nietzsche's text a bit) this sucks.

On top of that, as I noted in another thread, she was just cleared a couple of weeks ago to return after having shoulder surgery in April. Now another surgery and another lengthy rehab. So brutal for her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
On top of that, as I noted in another thread, she was just cleared a couple of weeks ago to return after having shoulder surgery in April. Now another surgery and another lengthy rehab. So brutal for her.
Sad and brutal. Man it just tears my heart up to see these young players go down with serious injuries.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it's one thing to give money so your name's on a building. It's another thing altogether to give money so your name is on someone else's name. That, IMHO, is just plain weird.

Endowed positions have been around in universities for centuries. Now that having winning coaches is more visible/valuable for getting more donors to pony up with donations than having a Nobel-prize professor on the staff, it's not surprising that coaches have endowed positions too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doubly tough injury, this being her senior year. Given her past injuries and limited PT, I have to wonder whether Johnson’s playing days have come to an end.

Reaction Score
I cringe every time one of these young ladies suffers a devastating injury like this. Sorry for the Notre Dame team, but more so for their parents. Mom and dad must be beside themselves.

Hoping for full recovery and health in later life.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I can see it now....... The Chef Boyardee UConn Head Coach Geno Auriemma.......:(

You better hope Geno never sees your post. "Chef Boyardee" indeed!

Knock! Knock! "Buona sera, I'ma Luca Brasi."

By any chance do you own horses?

Reaction Score
Moving away from spaghetti for a moment and back to physiology, it appears the standard wisdom is that players are doing more athletic things and the game is faster and more demanding, and there's really not much we can do to stop all these torn-up knees. Is that the case, really?

Thoughts, anyone?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Moving away from spaghetti for a moment and back to physiology, it appears the standard wisdom is that players are doing more athletic things and the game is faster and more demanding, and there's really not much we can do to stop all these torn-up knees. Is that the case, really?

Thoughts, anyone?
For a number of reasons, physiological and otherwise, young women are 50% more likely to suffer ACL injuries then young men. Studies have found that various forms of balance training, strength training and stability training can minimize the incidence of such injuries, but there is no full-proof way of preventing such injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom