Mychal Johnson (Notre Dame) tears ACL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mychal Johnson (Notre Dame) tears ACL

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hate to see any athlete injured. Hopefully she can recover and come back strong.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Even though I am not a huge Notre Dame fan, I do not like to hear that any player was injured during practice, games, etc. Praying Mychal, Westbeld and Turner have a speedy recovery. Also, praying there are no more injuries on any team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Too bad about the injury, but I always get confused by ND press releases that quote Coach McGraw, because it always says her full title: "Karen & Kevin Keyes Notre Dame women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw."

Don't know how I missed this thread.
A little more background: Karen Keyes maiden name is Karen Robinson and arrived on campus the first year Muffet McGraw did and was a scoring point guard for MM. In fact, she is still in the top 10 in scoring. Her husband -- Kevin Keyes -- played tennis at ND and many of his sisters went to nearby St. Mary's. I believe Karen Keyes is still the head coach at Ridgewood, N.J., High School, just a 15 minute drive from where I live.

Here's an article in the Chicago Tribune with some more background on the endowment.
The former player behind the $5 million Notre Dame basketball gift

Reaction Score
Don't know how I missed this thread.
A little more background: Karen Keyes maiden name is Karen Robinson and arrived on campus the first year Muffet McGraw did and was a scoring point guard for MM. In fact, she is still in the top 10 in scoring. Her husband -- Kevin Keyes -- played tennis at ND and many of his sisters went to nearby St. Mary's. I believe Karen Keyes is still the head coach at Ridgewood, N.J., High School, just a 15 minute drive from where I live.

Here's an article in the Chicago Tribune with some more background on the endowment.
The former player behind the $5 million Notre Dame basketball gift

so that's about five years worth of salary, then what.......:eek:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
so that's about five years worth of salary, then what..:eek:

Hope Kevin Keyes' firm, Annaly Capital Management, a real estate investment trust, continues to do well. Very well. ;)

Having just hit the "post" button, I realize that after 4 or 5 more years, MM might be considering hanging it up.
If she comes back -- and the resources are still there -- I imagine the endowment will come back because Karen Keyes is so enamored with Coach MM.

But it will interesting to see if those feelings translate over to a new coach if MM decides to step aside. Both Keyes are ND grads so maybe. On the other hand, is this based on more of a Keyes/Robinson - McGraw relationship?

In either case, it's very helpful to the athletic department in that it's put against MM's salary. If MM does leave and the successor is a bit more junior, perhaps the amount can last longer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
For a number of reasons, physiological and otherwise, young women are 50% more likely to suffer ACL injuries then young men. Studies have found that various forms of balance training, strength training and stability training can minimize the incidence of such injuries, but there is no full-proof way of preventing such injuries.
There are non-physiological reasons for females' higher vulnerability to ACL injuries?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are non-physiological reasons for females' higher vulnerability to ACL injuries?
Not really, unless you consider cultural bias towards boys in sports vs girls, where boys generally start in sports at younger ages and develop muscle strength sooner, but that bias is rapidly diminishing

Reaction Score
"what doesn't kill us makes us stronger," but (and here I am departing from Nietzsche's text a bit) this sucks.

It's obvious Nietzsche never played basketball.

Reaction Score
Geno said he was willing to forego his salary this year which he said was $400,000 which seems just a bit on the low side.

Reaction Score
Hope Kevin Keyes' firm, Annaly Capital Management, a real estate investment trust, continues to do well. Very well. ;)

Having just hit the "post" button, I realize that after 4 or 5 more years, MM might be considering hanging it up.
If she comes back -- and the resources are still there -- I imagine the endowment will come back because Karen Keyes is so enamored with Coach MM.

But it will interesting to see if those feelings translate over to a new coach if MM decides to step aside. Both Keyes are ND grads so maybe. On the other hand, is this based on more of a Keyes/Robinson - McGraw relationship?

In either case, it's very helpful to the athletic department in that it's put against MM's salary. If MM does leave and the successor is a bit more junior, perhaps the amount can last longer. :rolleyes:

I said that half kiddingly..........I would assume they actually invested the five million and then use the interest income to pay a portion of her salary every year but I could be wrong on that

Reaction Score
1. Hoping Mychal is fully recovered next season.
2. I no longer have objections to Jessica Shepard playing for ND this season.
In compliance with Boneyard's policy on unfair criticism of college players, I will not try to correlate the number of KFC's in South Bend with Shepard's workouts.
3. More posts in BY on this dreary topic than on Mcgraw's bench. Not a cause (talking about Johnson. Not the KFC's) for elation.

Reaction Score
1. Hoping Mychal is fully recovered next season.
2. I no longer have objections to Jessica Shepard playing for ND this season.
In compliance with Boneyard's policy on unfair criticism of college players, I will not try to correlate the number of KFC's in South Bend with Shepard's workouts.
3. More posts in BY on this dreary topic than on Mcgraw's bench. Not a cause (talking about Johnson. Not the KFC's) for elation.

I'm not aware of any college WBB sites that have as active a readership as the Boneyard...........the large number of participants from other schools attests to the popularity of this forum

Reaction Score
It is really really sad. Achonwa, Turner, Johnson to name just a few at ND. Of course, Achonwa injury was a few years ago.

Reaction Score
For a number of reasons, physiological and otherwise, young women are 50% more likely to suffer ACL injuries then young men.

If only they were only 50% more likely to suffer ACL injuries. Most recent studies have found the rate of female ACL injuries to be 3x to 5x higher than that of males, i.e. 200-400% higher.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If only they were only 50% more likely to suffer ACL injuries. Most recent studies have found the rate of female ACL injuries to be 3x to 5x higher than that of males, i.e. 200-400% higher.
Yes, there are a number of different studies. I was quoting one that indicated 50%.

Reaction Score
Yes, there are a number of different studies. I was quoting one that indicated 50%.

I've seen a lot of ACL studies and never seen even one that shows only a 50% difference. In fact I've never seen one that only showed a 100% difference. I'd love to read it and see why the huge difference. Can you provide a link.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of ACL studies and never seen even one that shows only a 50% difference. In fact I've never seen one that only showed a 100% difference. I'd love to read it and see why the huge difference. Can you provide a link.
The study I quoted was from the Women’s Sports Foundation. However, after looking at the article again, evidently I misquoted the statistic. It appears that the 50% number was simply the percent of knee injuries to all injuries.

Subsequently, I read several more studies that indicate the ratio of knee injuries between female athletes and male athletes is anywhere from 2 to 10 times higher.

Thanks for the correction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom