my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

my vote for Maya as best player in UConn history (so far)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Taurasi was able to do something that Moore or Stewart couldn't. She made the players on the 03 & 04 teams better players! The proof is the 2 NCs that they won! Neither of the other 2 did that!

And made her teammates on the '01 team ... worse?

Stewie elevated herself and her team her freshman year, which is something DT didn't do. That team absolutely needed her to carry them and she did it.

Reaction Score
Are we talking peak or career? For peak, it's Tina. For career, it's Rebecca.

I would argue that it's Tina for both. But one can easily argue the opposite case. Their careers are really remarkably similar.

Reaction Score
And made her teammates on the '01 team ... worse?

Stewie elevated herself and her team her freshman year, which is something DT didn't do. That team absolutely needed her to carry them and she did it.
That don't even make sense. She was a freshman who joined a team that had all there starters back. Stewie elevated her own play that's it. Your way off base if you think any Freshman is going to elevate AAs that are that been on the team for a few years. This is one thing Stewie didn't do in her career that Taurasi.

Reaction Score
I believe both Stewart and Maya did. When Stewart goes inside you had to collapse on her. Maya's jump shot opened up the lane for Monty's and Tiffany's abilities to drive, Tina's ability to score inside. And both were better defenders. To further that, Stewart's ability of help defense made someone like MoJeff a better defender.
Bottom line is if Stewart or Moore played in Taurasis place in 03 & 04. UConn does not win either NC. Maya already proved she didn't make players better in 2011. She played a great game but noone else did. Maya and Stewie only one because they had other AAs on the team in NCs years. Anybody saying anything different is downplaying Diana's achievement.

Wally East

Reaction Score
That don't even make sense. She was a freshman who joined a team that had all there starters back.

And you're talking about DT or Stewie here? Because it's true in both cases.

DT joined a team that had won the NC the year before.

Stewie joined a team that hadn't won the NC the year before.

DT didn't help her team win the title in '01. She carried her team to a 29-point swing in the wrong direction.

Stewie elevated her team to a title.

As for the idea that Stewie only elevated her own play, well, that's laughable. She allowed everyone else on the floor to play defense a lot more aggressively because she was such a good shot blocker and her teammates could count on her for that.

Reaction Score
They did it, just not as well as DT did it. Afterall, DT is/was a guard and more of a facilitator than the other two, which lends itself to helping others become better players (IMHO).

Not to open a can of worms here, but one could argue the level of competition as well.
IMO you nailed it when you said Taurasi and a guard because the majority of time that's who does it. Now people are talking about who she played. All UConns NCs were won by double figures except 4 were by double figures. Mayas team blewout a weak Louisville team by 23. Then beat a team by 5 pts after beating them by double figures 2 years in a row. Stanford was tough but still not in Cts. league. Stewies team won 4 NCs by a total of 92 points an average of 23 pts a game. Was this because of crappy competition or in those 6 years the Huskies were loaded with AAs. I say loaded with AAs is why!

Reaction Score
And you're talking about DT or Stewie here? Because it's true in both cases.

DT joined a team that had won the NC the year before.

Stewie joined a team that hadn't won the NC the year before.

DT didn't help her team win the title in '01. She carried her team to a 29-point swing in the wrong direction.

Stewie elevated her team to a title.

As for the idea that Stewie only elevated her own play, well, that's laughable. She allowed everyone else on the floor to play defense a lot more aggressively because she was such a good shot blocker and her teammates could count on her for that.
Think what you want Stewie game got better. Her teammates were already doing there thing without her. Did you watch Stewie play in Jan and Feb her Freshman year. I saw her play 7 minutes against Baylor and UConn played them close without her. I never said Taurasi made her teammates better her freshman year. Did I. Stewie didn't make her teammates better either Stewie made Mojeff the DPOY! I don't think so!

Have you ever played any type of organized basketball in your life?

Wally East

Reaction Score
Think what you want Stewie game got better. Her teammates were already doing there thing without her. Did you watch Stewie play in Jan and Feb her Freshman year. I saw her play 7 minutes against Baylor and UConn played them close without her. I never said Taurasi made her teammates better her freshman year. Did I. Stewie didn't make her teammates better either Stewie made Mojeff the DPOY! I don't think so!

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here.

Are you saying that DT made her teammates better just her junior and senior years?

Are you really saying that Stewie didn't make her teammates better?

Are you also saying that Stewie didn't allow Mo to be more aggressive because she was a good shot blocker?

Are you saying that DT didn't play an absolute dog of a game in the FF as a freshman?

Are you saying that UConn would've won the NC in '13 w/o Stewie?

Are you saying that UConn would've won the NC in '13 with freshman DT?

Hmm.

Reaction Score
I won't opine as to whether Diana, Maya or Stewie is UConn's GOAT. But I will offer this observation. Of all of our players, indeed, of all WCBB players, Maya stands alone in this respect; she is almost otherworldly. She came to UConn almost fully formed; no early struggles, no midseason slumps, an AA from day 1. And while a wonderful teammate, she carried herself differently. Tina captures some of this in her SI article. Mature, composed, focused; as if she was designed to be the best player in the game and she knew it.

In contrast, Diana is fully, sometimes embarrassingly, human; and she had her well-documented lapse in the Final Four her freshman year. And Stewie had her slump during her freshman year, barely playing against Baylor, and having to fight through it to emerge at the end of the season.

But not Maya. It's as if she was built in a lab or came from an alien planet, like Superman, and graced us with her excellence. And we are better for it. She is truly one of a kind.

Reaction Score
Buzzy, how many gold medals does Maya have?
It's been mentioned in the past on how many championships she's been a part of on the Boneyard but because I'm old and diminished, I'm not absolutely sure ... I believe she's got three Olympic medals but I'm not sure but she's also won multiple WNBA championships and of course, her two national championships with the Huskies .... there quite possibly are others .... I'm just saying that if there's any difference between her and DT, it's somewhat negligible and you do know that some of these gold medals and other championships have something to do with the rest of the team since there's four other players that contribute, right?????

Reaction Score
I won't opine as to whether Diana, Maya or Stewie is UConn's GOAT. But I will offer this observation. Of all of our players, indeed, of all WCBB players, Maya stands alone in this respect; she is almost otherworldly. She came to UConn almost fully formed; no early struggles, no midseason slumps, an AA from day 1. And while a wonderful teammate, she carried herself differently. Tina captures some of this in her SI article. Mature, composed, focused; as if she was designed to be the best player in the game and she knew it.

In contrast, Diana is fully, sometimes embarrassingly, human; and she had her well-documented lapse in the Final Four her freshman year. And Stewie had her slump during her freshman year, barely playing against Baylor, and having to beat through it to emerge at the end of the season.

But not Maya. It's as if she was built in a lab or came from an alien planet, like Superman, and graced us with her excellence. And we are better for it. She is truly one of a kind.
I wish I could give you 1000 likes because you encapsulate Maya so much better than I ever could .... there was Maya playing at A/A level from the first game of her UConn career .... there was never a time where she didn't play at a superior level or played out of control .... she always played within herself and was never flamboyant or seemed to play over the top .... she's always played with supreme grace and class and with an eloquence like no other Huskie ... absolutely no showboating or in your face and no awkwardness or clumsy .... the epitome of class and dignity and without diminishing any of the other elite players compared to her, in my mind she stands alone ...

Reaction Score
I wish I could give you 1000 likes because you encapsulate Maya so much better than I ever could .... there was Maya playing at A/A level from the first game of her UConn career .... there was never a time where she didn't play at a superior level or played out of control .... she always played within herself and was never flamboyant or seemed to play over the top .... she's always played with supreme grace and class and with an eloquence like no other Huskie ... absolutely no showboating or in your face and no awkwardness or clumsy .... the epitome of class and dignity and without diminishing any of the other elite players compared to her, in my mind she stands alone ...

I think you did a pretty good job capturing Maya.:)

Reaction Score
Bottom line is if Stewart or Moore played in Taurasis place in 03 & 04. UConn does not win either NC. Maya already proved she didn't make players better in 2011. She played a great game but noone else did. Maya and Stewie only one because they had other AAs on the team in NCs years. Anybody saying anything different is downplaying Diana's achievement.
If you think the quality of the teams that Diana and the Huskies played against in 2002 and 2003 were anywhere near as talented as the teams that Maya and Stewie played against in their respective years, then you are sadly mistaken ..... the Tennessee Vols were a really good team but nowhere near the quality of the teams that Stewie and Maya played in their respective times .... the talent level of their opponents wasn't even close and Maria Conlon who was solid but not very athletic was a key reason in both seasons as to why the Huskies won ... I know that if it hadn't been for Willnett Crockett (not Diana), they never would have beaten Texas and gotten to the championship game ... you make it sound like Ashley Battle, Willnett, Jessice Moore, Ann Strother and Barbara Turner were nothing and that's so far from the truth .... I think Geno would laugh in your face if you tried to tell them that they weren't essential to that championship in 2002-2003 .... obviously Diana was a big part, as well but to diminish these ladies and to also not bring up the quality of their opposition, is disingenuous ...

Reaction Score
Stewie came in and said I'm here to win 4 She did. DT and Maya didn't I was in St Louis for the 2nd half collapse in 2001

Reaction Score
IMO you nailed it when you said Taurasi and a guard because the majority of time that's who does it. Now people are talking about who she played. All UConns NCs were won by double figures except 4 were by double figures. Mayas team blewout a weak Louisville team by 23. Then beat a team by 5 pts after beating them by double figures 2 years in a row. Stanford was tough but still not in Cts. league. Stewies team won 4 NCs by a total of 92 points an average of 23 pts a game. Was this because of crappy competition or in those 6 years the Huskies were loaded with AAs. I say loaded with AAs is why!
Geno must have decided not to recruit at a high level because he had Diana and no one else did and why bother, right??? I don't think Geno's recruiting was every anything but superb and there was an awful lot of talent on the Huskies in Diana's junior and senior year .... the fact is UConn had some really good talent on those two teams and their lineup was really nicely balanced though she was the only All-American .... Ann Strother and Maria Conlon and Ashley Battle and Willnett Crockett and Morgan Valley all were solid defenders and even without Dee would have made the Huskies a really tough out but obviously her presence made a difference ... You do remember that playing Texas, in the semi-finals, Willnett Crockett carried the Huskies to that victory, NOT DIANA .... Can you remember off the top of your head, who played on that Tennessee team that UConn beat??? It wasn't composed of a lot of super stars that ended up in the WNBA, was it????? There were a lot of good teams that season but assuredly there wasn't any really special teams that were dominant .... I don't want to diminish Diana or her contributions to those two championships but to use that to elevate her to the degree that you and others do is almost silly .... Maya, from day one played at a level that no other Huskie has played at, their entire career ..... Diana's semi final game against Notre Dame in her freshman year, was one of the worst performances by any player in Geno's years coaching the Huskies .... she has obviously redeemed herself many times over but in a critical game, when she was counted on, she threw nothing but brick after brick after brick .... that is a fact

Reaction Score

Well as the poster jazz and I have mentioned a few times there has to be a consideration takes on quality of opponent along with how teams were built. IMO the teams UCONN went through in 02-03 and 03-04 weren't as good as what Maya and Stewart had to go through between ND and Stanford.

Secondly- ofc Maya and Stewart would struggle winning with DT's teams -- but that's because the DT team wouldn't have another quality offensive starting guard and DT;s team had the combo 3 power forwards/ centers in which you have 2 good players like Turner and Moore. So exhange these 2 along with adding a Crocket type for guards of comparable value - - yes I think they can win too. Turner and Moore went on to play in the WNBA. They weren't bums.

Third- I do have DT slightly ahead of Maya but I can understand the counterpoint to be made for Maya - in that unlike 02-03 and 03-04- Maya's 10-11 team didn't have backup players in the post (S. Walker left during the season). So once Dolson got into foul trouble - only played 24 minutes in game 4 - but in games 2 and 3 she played 34 and 40- UCONN was susceptible to losing because they didn't have a backup. They got wiped out on the glass.

The only reason why UCONN didn't have Dolson play more in game 1 vs ND was due to Walker still being on the team.

Reaction Score
It's been mentioned in the past on how many championships she's been a part of on the Boneyard but because I'm old and diminished, I'm not absolutely sure ... I believe she's got three Olympic medals but I'm not sure but she's also won multiple WNBA championships and of course, her two national championships with the Huskies .... there quite possibly are others .... I'm just saying that if there's any difference between her and DT, it's somewhat negligible and you do know that some of these gold medals and other championships have something to do with the rest of the team since there's four other players that contribute, right?????
Maya won 2 gold medals. DT (hopefully) will be going for #5. I don't see anyone ever getting 6. So that might be a record that could be tied, but never broken. (Yes, Sue will also be going for #5)

Reaction Score
Maya won 2 gold medals. DT (hopefully) will be going for #5. I don't see anyone ever getting 6. So that might be a record that could be tied, but never broken. (Yes, Sue will also be going for #5)

I take this thread for college.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its hard to say who the best is when you compare different eras in UConn WBB. Diana in her last 3 years wasnt surrounded by players like some of the other top players. She was her freshman season but after that she led the team and took over when she had too. No other player had that. So to compare stats and awards imo is tuff because the 95 team is much different from the Stewie MoJeff Tuck team and the Maya Tina Renee team. If I were to start a team Diana would be my first pick . Diana had the ability to make everyone around her better and take over a game when UConn needed her to step up. She did the impossible in the most cructial moments. No other player did that. Paige is the first player Ive seen that can make everybody around her better and Paige has the skills ability and brains to blossom into the next Diana.

Reaction Score
Stewie won 4 National Championships and was Most Outstanding Player of all 4 Final Fours. You simply can't top that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Stewie didn’t make players better, then why do people lump Morgan Tuck in with the other greats? Kelly Schumacher was the better player. She proved that with her success in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie won 4 National Championships and was Most Outstanding Player of all 4 Final Fours. You simply can't top that.
Have you met "Paige '5 for 5' Bueckers"? ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom