My top 7 after 2 Dec games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My top 7 after 2 Dec games

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
When is there going to be a regular season game between Mississippi State and UConn? We are getting to the point where that really needs to happen.

Reaction Score
Massey has MSST as number two and ND three, followed by Baylor, Louisville and Oregon. UConn’s SOS is now second to ND.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If yesterday's game had a closer final score I would vote ND to be #2. That is not the case. ND lost their composure on their home court. They were outplayed the entire game. Muffet got out coached. With their bigger front line, ND got out rebounded.

As with many ranked teams this time of year, we haven't seen a lot of these ranked teams play another ranked team. Makes it very difficult.

Watched the MSST/ Texas game and the Baylor/ SC game. Very difficult to gauge these teams - MSST & Baylor that is. Texas lost their top scorer and certainly is not even close to a Top 10 team. SC is going to have a difficult season without a dominant big. Haven't seen Oregon or Louisville or Maryland.

My gut says ND drops to #5. Above them will be Oregon, Baylor, MSST.

And added note. During last night's Baylor/ SC game, Debbie Antonelli, who has a vote as to rankings, said she has to rethink her vote on ND. That tells me ND isn't going to be #2.

Reaction Score
IMO, the only change that will be made, UConn #1 and ND #2. As far as the other 5 teams, I do not see any changes in their order from last week, since they all won their games this past week. Frankly ND is still ND...the returning NC team with all veterans.

1. UConn
2. ND
3. Oregon
4. Baylor
5. Louisville
6. Miss St
7. Maryland
8. Oregon St
9. Tenn
10. Stanford
11. Texas

Dropping Oregon to #6 from #3 when all they are doing is winning, does not make sense.

Reaction Score
My only thing about ND is that you are suppose to be the 2nd best team and you lost at home by nearly 20 points. I think the only team who's ranking is locked is UConn. ND, Miss State, Oregon, BU, and Louisville all need to play a few more games. ND might have had just a bad game but next top 10 game will prove if it was just a one off game or not.

Miss State - Will really know more once they play Oregon. Since SEC is super weak I don't see anyone really giving them any issues unless Tennessee show's up, but Vic can coach circles around Holly.
Oregon - Need to see them play Miss State and get into conference play.
Louisville - Need to play few more ranked opponents.
BU - Beaten two ranked opponents, seem to be finding their stride just need to prove consistency with it. If they beat Stanford and at least play UConn close that should say a lot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If they beat my #3 team, obviously I'll rank them 3 or 4 spots higher. They barely got by Syracuse .... the only decent opponent they played was neck-and-neck with them the whole game. Is there anything we have to go by right now that they're a top 2 or 3 team?

So let me see if I understand. Oregon can't be as high as Maryland, Louisville or Baylor because:
  • They failed to beat UConn two years ago and failed to beat Notre Dame or Mississippi State last year. (But wait, I don't think Maryland or Baylor has beaten any of those teams in the past 2 years either. And in fact, didn't Oregon upset a highly-ranked Maryland team 2 years ago before losing to UConn? You're gonna dock them for their losses 2 years ago but not credit them for their wins?)
  • They barely beat Syracuse. (But wait, didn't Louisville just barely beat Arizona State?)
Dare I suggest you're cherry-picking your evidence to confirm your preexisting opinions and biases.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
So let me see if I understand. Oregon can't be as high as Maryland, Louisville or Baylor because:
  • They failed to beat UConn two years ago and failed to beat Notre Dame or Mississippi State last year. (But wait, I don't think Maryland or Baylor has beaten any of those teams in the past 2 years either. And in fact, didn't Oregon upset a highly-ranked Maryland team 2 years ago before losing to UConn? You're gonna dock them for their losses 2 years ago but not credit them for their wins?)
  • They barely beat Syracuse. (But wait, didn't Louisville just barely beat Arizona State?)
Dare I suggest you're cherry-picking your evidence to confirm your preexisting opinions and biases.

Ok, so they have one good win in the last 3 years. All I'm saying is there's not enough to rank them as #2 or #3. You act like I think Maryland and Baylor have done a lot in the last few years. I'm not saying they have... in fact Maryland was upset by Oregon two years ago and Baylor by Oregon State one year ago. And the reason I put Baylor #4 is because of that crushing of South Carolina which is more impressive than anything Oregon has done. The reason I put Louisville at #5 is because they were a final four team last year... and didn't just "luck in" to that, they were legitimately one of the 4 best teams in the country. And the reason I have Maryland at #6 is similarly because they destroyed South Carolina. They all had one thing more impressive than anything Oregon has. I hope I made myself understood. You're the one who's cherrypicking.

Reaction Score
I mean according to RPI thus far Oregon is ranked is ahead of Baylor, Louisville, and Miss State.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ok, so they have one good win in the last 3 years. All I'm saying is there's not enough to rank them as #2 or #3.

That's literally not what you said:

7. Oregon - Again, don't buy them. They've lost every game they played against UConn, Notre Dame, and Mississippi State in the last 2 years. They play West Coast ball and undoubtedly can handle the Pac-12, but they'll need to beat Mississippi State first before I can put them any higher.​
Not "before I can rank them #2 or #3."

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I mean according to RPI thus far Oregon is ranked is ahead of Baylor, Louisville, and Miss State.

I don't know how that's calculated but looking at their schedule and wins so far, I'm not sure how they can end up with an RPI higher than Baylor or Mississippi State. They don't have any impressive wins yet. That's all I'm saying.

7. Oregon - Again, don't buy them. They've lost every game they played against UConn, Notre Dame, and Mississippi State in the last 2 years. They play West Coast ball and undoubtedly can handle the Pac-12, but they'll need to beat Mississippi State first before I can put them any higher.​

Talk about cherry-picking. And yes, they stay #7 until Dec 18 vs Mississippi State. In between that... they have Michigan State and South Dakota St. No one is gonna move them up and down based on the results of those games. Whether they go above #7 or go below after Dec 18 I dunno, but obviously my belief is that Mississippi State will win.

Reaction Score
It's a long season. There's plenty of time to improve.

SC really needs some outside shooting. A team that's strong neither in the paint nor from outside isn't left with many options.

Well, not being particularly tough is three strikes and you are out.

South Carolina has been getting progressively softer each season and the progression needs to go the other way if you want to make up for lost talent.

Said it before, but let me see Harris, Cooper, Perry, Grissett and Jennings healthy and playing hard and see what that looks like.

I'm no longer worried about advancing in the tournament or championships. Just want to get above .500 in the league and into the dance and go from there.

Reaction Score
I don't know how that's calculated but looking at their schedule and wins so far, I'm not sure how they can end up with an RPI higher than Baylor or Mississippi State. They don't have any impressive wins yet. That's all I'm saying.

Talk about cherry-picking. And yes, they stay #7 until Dec 18 vs Mississippi State. In between that... they have Michigan State and South Dakota St. No one is gonna move them up and down based on the results of those games. Whether they go above #7 or go below after Dec 18 I dunno, but obviously my belief is that Mississippi State will win.

It's based on home-away-neutral, plus how each team is ranked overall. So what it means is overall the teams they have played have been much higher ranked than the teams Miss State and the others have played. They can all be "weak" teams, but based on this Miss State's teams were a lot weaker than Oregon.

Top 7 Teams RPI Rankings

1. ND - 1
2. UConn - 3
3. Oregon - 6
4. Baylor - 15
5. Louisville - 13
6. Miss State - 38
7. Maryland - 52

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
It's based on home-away-neutral, plus how each team is ranked overall. So what it means is overall the teams they have played have been much higher ranked than the teams Miss State and the others have played. They can all be "weak" teams, but based on this Miss State's teams were a lot weaker than Oregon.

Top 7 Teams RPI Rankings

1. ND - 1
2. UConn - 3
3. Oregon - 6
4. Baylor - 15
5. Louisville - 13
6. Miss State - 38
7. Maryland - 52

Ok well..... let's just wait till Dec 18 because in my eyes, they shouldn't get any credit for beating Long Beach State and Alaska Fairbanks just because they were a little bit better than anyone Mississippi State played besides Texas. That #6 RPI is not credible to me... their RPI shouldn't be 32 spots higher than Mississippi State's, because pretty sure MSU would crush all those teams they've played.

Again, let's wait till Dec 18 and then we can brag about who's right... k? If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I normally hate doing these rankings things anyways. But this one weekend, I thought it was interesting enough to see where we're at so far.

Reaction Score
Ok well..... let's just wait till Dec 18 because in my eyes, they shouldn't get any credit for beating Long Beach State and Alaska Fairbanks just because they were a little bit better than anyone Mississippi State played besides Texas. That #6 RPI is not credible to me... their RPI shouldn't be 32 spots higher than Mississippi State's, because pretty sure MSU would crush all those teams they've played.

Again, let's wait till Dec 18 and then we can brag about who's right... k? If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. I normally hate doing these rankings things anyways. But this one weekend, I thought it was interesting enough to see where we're at so far.

Nobody is saying Miss State isn't a top 3 or 4. However, facts are facts. They may be playing teams in the 200 rankings while Miss State's were in the 300's. It ranks it based on your schedule. Truly nobody is impressed with certain wins especially if they are not a top 25 team.

You are saying Oregon shouldn't get any credit for beating teams better than Miss State, but yet want Miss State to get more credit because they beat 1 ranked team? You kinda contradict yourself a little bit. If Oregon's rank avg among opponents is higher than Miss State's then wouldn't they deserve to be higher?

Let us get through the Oregon and Miss State game and we can really find out.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Nobody is saying Miss State isn't a top 3 or 4. However, facts are facts. They may be playing teams in the 200 rankings while Miss State's were in the 300's. It ranks it based on your schedule. Truly nobody is impressed with certain wins especially if they are not a top 25 team.

You are saying Oregon shouldn't get any credit for beating teams better than Miss State, but yet want Miss State to get more credit because they beat 1 ranked team? You kinda contradict yourself a little bit. If Oregon's rank avg among opponents is higher than Miss State's then wouldn't they deserve to be higher?

Ok, I get the RPI system already, thanks. And I am not offended at where you see Mississippi State in the scheme of things.

And yes. One win vs Texas (which was a trouncing) deserves more credit than beating teams ranked in the 200s, if that's all they beat. 200s, 300s..... I'm sorry, but that's not making that much of a difference to me. That's like saying a #200 recruit will be better than a #300 recruit. And again like I said, this is based on last year too. I think the only reason Mississippi State is ranked #6 right now is because we lost 4 starters. Not sure if most people will agree that the only reason Oregon is ranked 3 spots higher is because they're beating teams in the 200s while we're beating teams in the 300s. That's just silly to me. But hey... to each his own there, bud. I doubt most people care about Oregon beating Long Beach State or Utah State just like no one should rightfully care that we beat Jackson State and Arkansas Little Rock.

Yes please.

Reaction Score

I think this guy is right about Oregon. Last year they looked great but couldn’t get by ND. ND handled them. L’ville beat ND twice last year and had an easy time with Oregon in the regular season. I buy into there is something missing with Oregon. I was amazed what a lousy coaching job Kelly Graves did in that L’ville game. His team stunk and looked uninterested and they stunk verse A&M the previous game though they won. They pick it up in the PAC 12. They should have taken ND but Graves outcoached by MM

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I think this guy is right about Oregon. Last year they looked great but couldn’t get by ND. ND handled them. L’ville beat ND twice last year and had an easy time with Oregon in the regular season. I buy into there is something missing with Oregon. I was amazed what a lousy coaching job Kely Graves did in that L’ville game. His team stunk and they stunk verse A&M the previous game though they won. They pick it up in PAC 12 . They should have taken ND but Graves outcoached by MM

Thank you. Didn't every expert predict Oregon to beat Notre Dame last year? Suuuuuree..... that... totally... happened. Just like the experts are probably thinking they'll beat Mississippi State this year because we lost 4 starters and they get most players back. Like I said, they can win the Pac-12, but as we've seen when they face the ACC or SEC..... looked bogged down against Louisville and played to them instead of the other way around, they should beat A&M easily this year but didn't do so very convincingly last year.... and Syracuse played them down to the wire.

I don't have anything against them personally, but they're far from Notre Dame, UConn, and Mississippi State. Maybe better than Maryland and Oregon State but that's up for debate too.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
We're going find out a lot about where Oregon and MSU stand soon enough. I expect a battle with McCowan hopefully being the difference maker.

Interested to see SI against State's quick and athletic guards.

State also has a challenging home game against Marquette coming up. Should be a win, but definitely one that can't be overlooked.

Reaction Score
We're going find out a lot about where Oregon and MSU stand soon enough. I expect a battle with McCowan hopefully being the difference maker.

Interested to see SI against State's quick and athletic guards.

That will be a good matchup!! SI vs the pesky guards of Miss State

Reaction Score
When is there going to be a regular season game between Mississippi State and UConn? We are getting to the point where that really needs to happen.
JoePgh, I totally agree. UCONN plays top teams OOC. It is time for MSST to play enhance our OOC and no better team to upgrade to than UCONN. That game would sell out and attract big tv audience and that is what WBB needs. Hope Geno and Vic can make it happen.

Reaction Score
That will be a good matchup!! SI vs the pesky guards of Miss State
Oregon better be in shape because MSST will Be ball hawking 40 minutes and more if it goes into OT. Maybe I am drinking my own kool aid but I really believe MSST wins bigger than we did against Texas,

Reaction Score
JoePgh, I totally agree. UCONN plays top teams OOC. It is time for MSST to play enhance our OOC and no better team to upgrade to than UCONN. That game would sell out and attract big tv audience and that is what WBB needs. Hope Geno and Vic can make it happen.

I would love to see that because I want to know if that win against UConn can be replicated. I would also like to see State play Baylor again.

Reaction Score
Oregon better be in shape because MSST will Be ball hawking 40 minutes and more if it goes into OT. Maybe I am drinking my own kool aid but I really believe MSST wins bigger than we did against Texas,

Oregon's problem is they don't play defense very well. State basically scored at will last year. They gave up wide open, uncontested shots and never fixed it. McCowan and Vivians had 30 something points each.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think this guy is right about Oregon. Last year they looked great but couldn’t get by ND. ND handled them. L’ville beat ND twice last year and had an easy time with Oregon in the regular season. I buy into there is something missing with Oregon. I was amazed what a lousy coaching job Kelly Graves did in that L’ville game. His team stunk and looked uninterested and they stunk verse A&M the previous game though they won. They pick it up in the PAC 12. They should have taken ND but Graves outcoached by MM

If beating a ranked team by 15 on their home court is your definition of "stinking," you're a tough crowd.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom