My top 7 after 2 Dec games | The Boneyard

My top 7 after 2 Dec games

Reaction Score
For what it worth, he is my take on top seven as of today:
1. UCONN - obvious choice
2. MSST - throughly dominated undefeated Texas as an away team
3. Baylor - destroyed SC as an away team
4. Louisville - still undefeated, appear to be one trick pony but that pony is Asia Durrr
5. ND - dominated at home by UCONN
6. Oregon - undefeated but unimpressive so far
7. Maryland - undefeated but victory over SC less impressive because SC appears weak this season

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well... I'm going to move Oregon up to #2 until December 18th that will be Mississippi St Chance to show me something. UCONN, Oregon, ND, Mississippi State, Baylor, Maryland, Louisville.

Reaction Score
Baylor has been an interesting squad this season. Have had close games with Arizona State and South Dakota State, but then they go out and look really impressive against South Carolina. Is South Carolina that bad?

Anyways...
1) UConn
2) Baylor
3) Notre Dame
4) Oregon
5) Mississippi State
6) Maryland
7) Oregon State

I like Mississippi State over Oregon, but not doing it until they play.

Tough for me to put Baylor that high, but I just love the Brown-Cox duo and Smith too. I wasn’t all that impressed with the Shepard-Turner duo, and Chloe Jackson play terrific against Cooper and Harris.

Also had a tough time putting Maryland and Oregon State ahead of Louisville.

Some big matchups that could change this:
Baylor vs. UConn
Baylor vs. Stanford
Mississippi State vs. Oregon
Louisville vs. Kentucky

Rankings this week will be interesting.

Every team has proven beatable.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Can't see how people could put Notre Dame at #5, despite the loss. Can't see how people can put Oregon above Mississippi State. I think Oregon is still not elite yet.... I think still they'll lose to UConn, Notre Dame, Mississippi State..... those teams which are a higher level, imo. Though they can certainly score and shoot on an average night.

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Mississippi State

^those 3 teams are at this point have a whole tier to themselves.

4. Baylor - To begin the year, they were one of my safest picks going in. Still obviously one of the best teams in the nation, but their best win vs South Carolina doesn't look too impressive anymore given SC is a 5 or 6 seed at best right now. They struggled vs Arizona St. but did win because they have a frontcourt and a ton of depth. Can trust Mulkey to get them playing much better in March once their touted freshman starts to distinguish themselves a little.

5. Louisville - They were no worse than the #4 best team in the nation at the end of last year, maybe even better. They beat Notre Dame twice, and came within an inch of Mississippi State. They haven't played anyone yet this year, and their only good win is Arizona State again, but only by 2 points. Still, Asia Durr is playing like a woman possessed and that 2 point win vs ASU might not mean anything anymore by March.

6. Maryland - They're looking pretty good right now, and they've added to their lineup from last year. Don't know how they'll look once they face UConn or Notre Dame but so far I'd say they're drastically improved from last year.

7. Oregon - Again, don't buy them. They've lost every game they played against UConn, Notre Dame, and Mississippi State in the last 2 years. They play West Coast ball and undoubtedly can handle the Pac-12, but they'll need to beat Mississippi State first before I can put them any higher.

8. Oregon State - Again, not sure how good they are yet, but they have one blemish so far, and that was vs Notre Dame, where they were in it the whole way until the final minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Miss State beat a Texas team with it's two best players on the bench. The rest of the teams they have played have not been impressing at all. So I still don't know if they have proved top 3 by beating a Texas team that fading day by day.

What it did show is that they are good yes. However, what happens when they face a team with elite guards and post play?

I am not here saying Baylor is a top 2 or 3 by any means. What today showed was a few things.

1. UConn is the best currently.
2. Miss State is still a top top 6 at least even with almost a new starting line up.
3. Baylor's offense is starting to flow with Jackson at the point.
4. ND has some kinks to workout
5. Texas desperately needs Holmes other with they may hang out in the bottom half of top 25.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
7. Oregon - Again, don't buy them. They've lost every game they played against UConn, Notre Dame, and Mississippi State in the last 2 or 3 years. They play West Coast ball and undoubtedly can handle the Pac-12, but they'll need to beat Mississippi State first before I can put them any higher.

8. Oregon State - Again, not sure how good they are yet, but they have one blemish so far, and that was vs Notre Dame, where they were in it the whole way until the final minutes.

I see that people are getting an early start at dissing the Pac-12 and using the phrase "West Coast ball" as a slur.

So let me see if I get this straight: Your #7 team has to beat the #3 team before you can even entertain the notion that they might be as high as #6.

Makes perfect sense.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I see that people are getting an early start at dissing the Pac-12 and using the phrase "West Coast ball" as a slur.

So let me see if I get this straight: Your #7 team has to beat the #3 team before you can even entertain the notion that they might be as high as #6.

Makes perfect sense.

If they beat my #3 team, obviously I'll rank them 3 or 4 spots higher. They barely got by Syracuse .... the only decent opponent they played was neck-and-neck with them the whole game. Is there anything we have to go by right now that they're a top 2 or 3 team?

And Texas is undermanned definitely, but they still had a lot of talent. You can see it in the game that those players were all high recruits. Texas is a team that have 5 stars riding the bench so they were still dangerous even with injured players. Sure they don't have a lot of experience, but no way you can simply say "they were injured therefore not as good." Maybe not as much depth because of the injuries and the transfers. And Mississippi State beat them in 3 quarters in which the 4th quarter was essentially garbage time. The final scoring margin should've been about 24-25 points.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the Frank Irwin Center today to watch the TX-MSST game. I was impressed with MSST, but very unimpressed with TX. I'm not sure they will even finish 2nd in the Big12 as predicted. Right now it's hard to say who's who really. Need a few more good match ups to really know.

I left the TX game and met up with several friends at a sports bar. We watched the UConn-ND game and that was a lot of fun. The TX game was literally boring to be frank. We hung around and waited for the BU_SC game as well. By the time we left that place didn't have anything left to eat or drink.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Baylor has been an interesting squad this season. Have had close games with Arizona State and South Dakota State, but then they go out and look really impressive against South Carolina. Is South Carolina that bad?

Anyways...
1) UConn
2) Baylor
3) Notre Dame
4) Oregon
5) Mississippi State
6) Maryland
7) Oregon State

I like Mississippi State over Oregon, but not doing it until they play.

Tough for me to put Baylor that high, but I just love the Brown-Cox duo and Smith too. I wasn’t all that impressed with the Shepard-Turner duo, and Chloe Jackson play terrific against Cooper and Harris.

Also had a tough time putting Maryland and Oregon State ahead of Louisville.

Some big matchups that could change this:
Baylor vs. UConn
Baylor vs. Stanford
Mississippi State vs. Oregon
Louisville vs. Kentucky

Rankings this week will be interesting.

Every team has proven beatable.

We’re average. I’ve accepted it. No longer up for debate.

Dawn has a gargantuan task on hand. We’ll see. I’ve tempered my expectations for this season.

Nice win by the Huskies today though. Williams is no doubt the next great UConn Husky. What a game for the frosh.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Miss State beat a Texas team with it's two best players on the bench. The rest of the teams they have played have not been impressing at all. So I still don't know if they have proved top 3 by beating a Texas team that fading day by day.

What it did show is that they are good yes. However, what happens when they face a team with elite guards and post play?

I am not here saying Baylor is a top 2 or 3 by any means. What today showed was a few things.

1. UConn is the best currently.
2. Miss State is still a top top 6 at least even with almost a new starting line up.
3. Baylor's offense is starting to flow with Jackson at the point.
4. ND has some kinks to workout
5. Texas desperately needs Holmes other with they may hang out in the bottom half of top 25.

You can undervalue our Texas win if you want, but I still think they were our equals in many facets of the game. Not rebounding, not frontcourt... or at least they're missing Holmes. not depth, not experience, but they could run with us and match our intensity. Sug Sutton could have a game the next time.... she was as impressive as Jazzmun Holmes was.

Did you see the game?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can undervalue our Texas win if you want, but I still think they were our equals in many facets of the game. Not rebounding, not frontcourt... or at least they're missing Holmes. not depth, not experience, but they could run with us and match our intensity. And they weren't that much of a dropoff in athleticism.

Okay if they matched you. Imagine what they might have looked like with Higgs and Holmes in the game? I am not knocking the win. I just think you are over valuing it. You finally played a decent team this season and now you are top 3 and tier above everyone else. It proved you are elite yes, but top 3 I need a little more convincing.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We’re average. I’ve accepted it. No longer up for debate.

Dawn has a gargantuan task on hand. We’ll see. I’ve tempered my expectations for this season.

Nice win by the Huskies today though. Williams is no doubt the next great UConn Husky. What a game for the frosh.
It's a long season. There's plenty of time to improve.

SC really needs some outside shooting. A team that's strong neither in the paint nor from outside isn't left with many options.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
You can undervalue our Texas win if you want, but I still think they were our equals in many facets of the game. Not rebounding, not frontcourt... or at least they're missing Holmes. not depth, not experience, but they could run with us and match our intensity. Sug Sutton could have a game the next time.... she was as impressive as Holmes was.

Did you see the game?

Aston is worth -10 pts.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Okay if they matched you. Imagine what they might have looked like with Higgs and Holmes in the game? I am not knocking the win. I just think you are over valuing it. You finally played a decent team this season and now you are top 3 and tier above everyone else. It proved you are elite yes, but top 3 I need a little more convincing.

No, I'm basing this on carryover from last year....(as well as a few games this year). Obviously nothing has made me think it isn't still UConn, Notre Dame, Mississippi State, and Louisville at the top. I think everybody makes these kind of rankings based on last year anyways...we don't really have enough to base everything on, but I did what the OP asked, so..

Reaction Score
You can undervalue our Texas win if you want, but I still think they were our equals in many facets of the game. Not rebounding, not frontcourt... or at least they're missing Holmes. not depth, not experience, but they could run with us and match our intensity. Sug Sutton could have a game the next time.... she was as impressive as Jazzmun Holmes was.

Did you see the game?

Simple, I did watch the game. It was clear to me Texas was not in our class. We did not play our “A” game and easily won, the game was never in doubt. Two players that normally contribute big had bad game, AEH and Jessica Carter, and Wiggins, Taylor, Scott were non contributor. Despite subpar performances from key players our starters, Tee, Howard, Danberry, Holmes, and Bibby were clearly superior. When you get beat at home by double digits you are no match for that team. Same thing happened with ND, they were no match fo UCONN and in my mind are not a top 3 team today.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oregon scores an unimpressive 110 pts tonight with Ionescu tallying an unimpressive 17 assists (but no triple double).

I really don't care if they score 200. I'm not impressed by anything anybody does against Long Beach State.

1543818554946.png

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Simple, I did watch the game. It was clear to me Texas was not in our class. We did not play our “A” game and easily won, the game was never in doubt. Two players that normally contribute big had bad game, AEH and Jessica Carter, and Wiggins, Taylor, Scott were non contributor. Despite subpar performances from key players our starters, Tee, Howard, Danberry, Holmes, and Bibby were clearly superior. When you get beat at home by double digits you are no match for that team. Same thing happened with ND, they were no match fo UCONN and in my mind are not a top 3 team today.

I was asking to DallasBUFan. I think they were in our class, they just had aspects to their game that was lacking. They don't have a key scorer. They have injuries. Their rebounding is minimal without Holmes. They're very thin in the frontcourt. Their overall shooting percentage is 6% lower. They're not used to running and hustling that much.... which we made them do and contributed to a huge turnover margin in our favor. Sug Sutton has athleticism though, and she shot fadeaways on Danberry and Howard. I'd say they are in our class physically and have more letter stars than us, but they have too many lacking aspects to make it competitive. What it really tells me is that Mississippi State is just a more complete team, not necessarily that Texas weren't in our class.

Myah, Bre, and AEH barely had any playing time. AEH's non-contribution was because Vic doesn't trust her defense. Vic will play her more vs Oregon because if our defense isn't working well enough against them, he'll ask AEH to shoot to get some points on the board.

ND was definitely a match for UConn. It was not a blowout by UConn. It was a 6 point game going into the 4th quarter, yet the game was already over between MsState/Texas going into the 4th.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it worth, he is my take on top seven as of today:
1. UCONN - obvious choice
2. MSST - throughly dominated undefeated Texas as an away team
3. Baylor - destroyed SC as an away team
4. Louisville - still undefeated, appear to be one trick pony but that pony is Asia Durrr
5. ND - dominated at home by UCONN
6. Oregon - undefeated but unimpressive so far
7. Maryland - undefeated but victory over SC less impressive because SC appears weak this season
Asia Durr was in the game in 4th quarter at the 7:30 mark with a 50 point lead . Diop was lost for the season. The one trick pony gets hurt with a 50 point lead and the seasons gone. Why risk it. Let her sit the whole quarter.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
after Sunday, Dec 2...

UConn's the best team in the country. I thought they were, they proved they are.

ND's #2 until somebody other than UConn proves otherwise.

Baylor, Oregon, Louisville & Mississippi State remain at a likely elite, but need more evidence level for me.

There are a few other teams that may prove better than we think, but for now those are my Top 6.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Myah, Bre, and AEH barely had any playing time. AEH's non-contribution was because Vic doesn't trust her defense. Vic will play her more vs Oregon because if our defense isn't working well enough against them, he'll ask AEH to shoot to get some points on the board.

What I noticed about AEH in the game for the brief time she was in it ( right before half time) was that she camped out on the 3 pt line in the corner while the other 4 players did a lot of weave motion. I guess by design?? :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom