My thoughts on today's game | The Boneyard

My thoughts on today's game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, ugly as it may have been, that's still a win on a neutral court (though it wasn't really neutral - great turnout by UConn fans) against a BCS opponent. Wake Forest is young and inexperienced, but they have some talented pieces, most notably McKie, Miller-McIintyre, and Harris. Those kids are no slouches and can legitimately play on the court with anyone from what I saw. UConn fans should be generally pleased with the growth of the club from the first exhibition (which was extremely ugly) to now. It bodes will that they've progressed so noticeably for Kevin Ollie. Not only that, but they were able to battle through some adversity tonight and fend off an upset from a hungry team that could smell a big victory. As we know, it's a lot easier to play as the hunter than the hunted. This is one of those games where you wipe your brow and take the victory without complaining.

As always, there were some positive and negatives from tonights game. Today's game did, however, confirm my suspicion that UConn is not a legitimate top 25 team at this moment. Sure, they have some talented pieces, but their are some glaring weaknesses that will be exposed sooner rather than later with this group. I would say UConn is a top 30-35 team as of right now, which is much better than what fans expected coming into the season. Tonight you saw some mistakes you expect to see from young teams early in the season, and then some other mistakes that absolutely cannot happen. For starters, Ryan Boatright almost got killed a couple times on hard screens around the half-court area. At this level, you cannot allow your starting point guard to run full throttle into a player significantly bigger than him like that. You're taught from fifth grade on to call out screens and talk on defense so this type of thing doesn't happen. UConn is lucky Boatright was not hurt. Secondly, I've counted at least five instances this season where Uconn's big men will flat out get beat for a rebound off a missed free throw. I realize they are undersized, but giving up offensive rebounds on foul shots simply is not something that can happen. The other mistakes are more understandable. Wake Forest shot 7 of 16 on threes tonight, due in part to UConn not crisply rotating and getting around screens defensively. Give some credit to Wake Forest, as they ran some nice offensive sets. Still, guys like Deandre and Calhoun will have to put on some weight or somehow manage to slither through those screens because Wake Forest got too many open looks tonight.

And as many of us suspected, Ollie is limited in his options off the bench up front in the case that a couple players get into foul trouble (I still loathe the two foul rule, btw, but that's another story for another day). We saw that tonight when Nolan and were forced to chip in four minutes a piece at the expense of Daniels and Olander who were on the bench. Not surprisngly, Wake Forest went on a run during that time, which once again confirmed my hunch that those two are not ready to play competitive division one minutes at a high level right now. Hopefully from now on Ollie sticks to a three man frontcourt rotation of Daniels, Wolf, and Olander.

Of course, there were many positives as well. People will rightfully point to UConn's rebounding struggles as a sign of concern, but UConn has created 47 turnovers (+16) in their three games, which more than makes up for any rebounding difficulties. I laid out the blue print for this UConn team during the pre-season: exceptional play from the guards, improved ball movement, takeaways defensively, and the best two players on the floor come crunch time in Napier and Boatright. Thus far, despite the flaws most young teams exhibit early in the season, they have followed that format to a tee, and that's why they're 3-0. UConn's offense isn't exactly the Nash-era Phoenix Sun right now, but Ollie seems to really have something with the high post screens and curls he continually runs.

It certainly helps any offense, though, to have two guys who can consistently beat their man off the dribble, which UConn has in Napier and Boatright. If it's not obvious by now, UConn needs Shabazz Napier to be aggressive to play high caliber basketball. When he's knocking down shots, finding open teammates, pressuring the ball, and attacking the rim, this team is much more formidable. Unsurprisngly, the turning point in the game occured when Shabazz woke up and decided to play.

I don't want to rain on the Wolf parade, because he played excellently tonight, but I do believe this team is much weaker defensively when he is on the court (although it remains to be seen whether his offense can compensate for it), as he seems to be a bit slow guarding the pick and roll. He'll learn, though, and tonight cannot be considered anything but extremely encouraging. I'm not going to go overboard, but he showed a fair amount of skill offensively, to the point that I don't think his performance tonight is a flash in the pan. Obviously the best thing he's got going for him is his height, but he can catch the ball and he has soft hands around the rim. Keep it up, Enosh.

Other player notes:

Omar Calhoun - Can't say I love what I've seen from him this season. He hasn't shot the ball great, his handle is a little shaky at times, and he's basically been a non-factor out there. Granted, he played decently against Vermont, and he's three games into his college career. His future is still bright.

Tyler Olander - Obviously, we need more than 2 points and 1 rebound from him. He played soft tonight, and that can't happen. I really like what he brings to the table, and think he can be an intrical part of the offense in terms of hitting cutters, knocking down open jumpers, and even hitting a hook shot in the post once in a while. We just need more consistency.

RJ Evans - I've been nothing short of thrilled with his play. The kid defends, he's ruthless in the paint, he doesn't play outside himself, and he's a great teammate. I can't say enough good things about RJ Evans from what I've seen. I almost feel guilty that he's playing here instead of helping somebody else who is tournament eligible.

Deandre Daniels - Deandre's a funny guy. He gets me really excited with some of the moves he makes offensively (4 for 4 in the first half tonight if I'm remembering correctly) and then he'll anger me with a Roscoe Smith-esque drive to the lane where he barrels over two people and tosses the ball into the stands. Overall, I'm pleased. He's already a lot better than he was last season, and his jumper looks to be coming into its own. The one thing I'll say is that he needs to do better than two rebounds in 30 minutes.

Niels Giffey - I'm not sure who I've been more impressed with, Giffey or Evans. Neither are incredible talents, needless to say, but they are excellent role players who bring things to the table and take nothing off. Giffey is one of the best one on one defenders on the team from what I can tell, and he is quietly skilled offensively. My one beef with him is that he's not aggressive enough sometimes.

I can already say this team is more fun to watch than the group from last year. There are seven or eight really nice pieces on this team who 99% of the country would love to have in their rotation. They are well-coached, they play hard, and they play for one another. My viewing experience watching this team this year is an A+ easily.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Excellent post. I agree with virtually all of it. (I did chuckle, though, when you said you had laid out the blue print -- as if anybody had laid out some other sort of plan.)

This was a good win. I expected to win it, but I have to say I underestimated Wake's three best players. They're actually really good.

caw

Reaction Score
Only thing I slightly disagree with is Calhoun and Nolan. I think Nolan may be able to contribute and Tolksdorf put in some solid minutes at the center position.

Calhoun is rushing things/shots but I don't think his handle has been that shaky and he's been pretty good defensively.

Reaction Score
If the players had kicked it to Tolksdorf who was all alone in the corner a few times, I think he would have knocked down some 3s.

Good post, but I thought Wolf was a lot better on D than you gave him credit for. I actually saw him alter some shots. WF missed a lot of shots from up close that we saw go in against both VT and MSU.

SJ

Reaction Score
I can already say this team is more fun to watch than the group from last year. There are seven or eight really nice pieces on this team who 99% of the country would love to have in their rotation. They are well-coached, they play hard, and they play for one another. My viewing experience watching this team this year is an A+ easily.

Amen and amen.

Reaction Score
The one thing I like is KO's patience with this team, and willingness to give minutes to Wolf, Nolan, Tolksdorf. Not comparing him to a HOF coach, but he seems to be just what the doctor ordered in a season with no tournament. Love how the team supports each other on the court. They play more like the UConn women's team does than most other high level d1 men's teams. (Great teamwork, minimal showboating, diving for loose balls, etc...) That being said, there are obvious parts of this team that need talent upgrades, but for what we have, it should be a fun and productive season once BE play rolls around.

Reaction Score
First off, ugly as it may have been, that's still a win on a neutral court (though it wasn't really neutral - great turnout by UConn fans) against a BCS opponent. Wake Forest is young and inexperienced, but they have some talented pieces, most notably McKie, Miller-McIintyre, and Harris. Those kids are no slouches and can legitimately play on the court with anyone from what I saw. UConn fans should be generally pleased with the growth of the club from the first exhibition (which was extremely ugly) to now. It bodes will that they've progressed so noticeably for Kevin Ollie. Not only that, but they were able to battle through some adversity tonight and fend off an upset from a hungry team that could smell a big victory. As we know, it's a lot easier to play as the hunter than the hunted. This is one of those games where you wipe your brow and take the victory without complaining.

As always, there were some positive and negatives from tonights game. Today's game did, however, confirm my suspicion that UConn is not a legitimate top 25 team at this moment. Sure, they have some talented pieces, but their are some glaring weaknesses that will be exposed sooner rather than later with this group. I would say UConn is a top 30-35 team as of right now, which is much better than what fans expected coming into the season. Tonight you saw some mistakes you expect to see from young teams early in the season, and then some other mistakes that absolutely cannot happen. For starters, Ryan Boatright almost got killed a couple times on hard screens around the half-court area. At this level, you cannot allow your starting point guard to run full throttle into a player significantly bigger than him like that. You're taught from fifth grade on to call out screens and talk on defense so this type of thing doesn't happen. UConn is lucky Boatright was not hurt. Secondly, I've counted at least five instances this season where Uconn's big men will flat out get beat for a rebound off a missed free throw. I realize they are undersized, but giving up offensive rebounds on foul shots simply is not something that can happen. The other mistakes are more understandable. Wake Forest shot 7 of 16 on threes tonight, due in part to UConn not crisply rotating and getting around screens defensively. Give some credit to Wake Forest, as they ran some nice offensive sets. Still, guys like Deandre and Calhoun will have to put on some weight or somehow manage to slither through those screens because Wake Forest got too many open looks tonight.

And as many of us suspected, Ollie is limited in his options off the bench up front in the case that a couple players get into foul trouble (I still loathe the two foul rule, btw, but that's another story for another day). We saw that tonight when Nolan and were forced to chip in four minutes a piece at the expense of Daniels and Olander who were on the bench. Not surprisngly, Wake Forest went on a run during that time, which once again confirmed my hunch that those two are not ready to play competitive division one minutes at a high level right now. Hopefully from now on Ollie sticks to a three man frontcourt rotation of Daniels, Wolf, and Olander.

Of course, there were many positives as well. People will rightfully point to UConn's rebounding struggles as a sign of concern, but UConn has created 47 turnovers (+16) in their three games, which more than makes up for any rebounding difficulties. I laid out the blue print for this UConn team during the pre-season: exceptional play from the guards, improved ball movement, takeaways defensively, and the best two players on the floor come crunch time in Napier and Boatright. Thus far, despite the flaws most young teams exhibit early in the season, they have followed that format to a tee, and that's why they're 3-0. UConn's offense isn't exactly the Nash-era Phoenix Sun right now, but Ollie seems to really have something with the high post screens and curls he continually runs.

It certainly helps any offense, though, to have two guys who can consistently beat their man off the dribble, which UConn has in Napier and Boatright. If it's not obvious by now, UConn needs Shabazz Napier to be aggressive to play high caliber basketball. When he's knocking down shots, finding open teammates, pressuring the ball, and attacking the rim, this team is much more formidable. Unsurprisngly, the turning point in the game occured when Shabazz woke up and decided to play.

I don't want to rain on the Wolf parade, because he played excellently tonight, but I do believe this team is much weaker defensively when he is on the court (although it remains to be seen whether his offense can compensate for it), as he seems to be a bit slow guarding the pick and roll. He'll learn, though, and tonight cannot be considered anything but extremely encouraging. I'm not going to go overboard, but he showed a fair amount of skill offensively, to the point that I don't think his performance tonight is a flash in the pan. Obviously the best thing he's got going for him is his height, but he can catch the ball and he has soft hands around the rim. Keep it up, Enosh.

Other player notes:

Omar Calhoun - Can't say I love what I've seen from him this season. He hasn't shot the ball great, his handle is a little shaky at times, and he's basically been a non-factor out there. Granted, he played decently against Vermont, and he's three games into his college career. His future is still bright.

Tyler Olander - Obviously, we need more than 2 points and 1 rebound from him. He played soft tonight, and that can't happen. I really like what he brings to the table, and think he can be an intrical part of the offense in terms of hitting cutters, knocking down open jumpers, and even hitting a hook shot in the post once in a while. We just need more consistency.

RJ Evans - I've been nothing short of thrilled with his play. The kid defends, he's ruthless in the paint, he doesn't play outside himself, and he's a great teammate. I can't say enough good things about RJ Evans from what I've seen. I almost feel guilty that he's playing here instead of helping somebody else who is tournament eligible.

Deandre Daniels - Deandre's a funny guy. He gets me really excited with some of the moves he makes offensively (4 for 4 in the first half tonight if I'm remembering correctly) and then he'll anger me with a Roscoe Smith-esque drive to the lane where he barrels over two people and tosses the ball into the stands. Overall, I'm pleased. He's already a lot better than he was last season, and his jumper looks to be coming into its own. The one thing I'll say is that he needs to do better than two rebounds in 30 minutes.

Niels Giffey - I'm not sure who I've been more impressed with, Giffey or Evans. Neither are incredible talents, needless to say, but they are excellent role players who bring things to the table and take nothing off. Giffey is one of the best one on one defenders on the team from what I can tell, and he is quietly skilled offensively. My one beef with him is that he's not aggressive enough sometimes.

I just wish you gave a little more detail.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Ugly game but a hard-fought victory. 11 assists to 25 made baskets could be better but you could tell there were times when UConn couldn't run their stuff (Shabazz 25ft hoist). Waiting for Calhoun to have his big break and Shabazz to be more consistent.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Very good ball pressure by our guards all game. Wake has three very solid guards who had tight handles despite being bigger than the good guys.

Wolf was out of position on a few pick and rolls but did recover well and played solid defense in other situations. He really looks like he belongs on offense and clearly seems the most improved so far. If he continues to improve he could be a force. His improvement reminds me a bit if Jeff Withey at Kansas ( although Withey has more impact on defense).

Evans has been great! People keep saying he has no perimeter shot, but his shot selection is amazing...always takes shots that he can consistently make. His handle for a bigger guy is very solid.

Calhoun and Napier for the first 30 minutes really forced it from outside. Shots taken out of rhythm and rushed, leading to a putrid 3 pt %...more patience from those two and even a 30% from three and this game would have been a blowout.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Evans has been great! People keep saying he has no perimeter shot, but his shot selection is amazing...always takes shots that he can consistently make. His handle for a bigger guy is very solid.
Bigger guy? Evans is only 6'3

Reaction Score
To me this team is a preview of 2013-2014. They have a full season to learn Ollie's system and each other. They will not be perfect, they will often play frustrating and lose quite a few games. There's a lot of new parts players and coaches (including roles).

No offense to the OP, since the regular season is all they have, and the fact the every player is still wearing a UConn jersey for a 'one season' Coach, I will exempt this team from criticism outside of frustration and the emotional 'game thread' complaining. Its a bizarre, surreal season and I am just impressed that these loyal kids were willing to stick to the UConn uniforms in spite of the mess around them, and inherited from former players. That alone eliminates any criticisms I have and allows me to enjoy each game this team plays. I just am too proud of this group of guys and I feel like a father who's sons can do no wrong. Especially when they try hard.

I may complain, be frustrated, but I won't criticize (at least for one year).

Reaction Score
Nice analysis champs99.........agree totally on the guards and having the faith in them completing the task if in a closing situation........all real good points except I disagree on Nolan and Tolksdorf. Not only can they give us 3-8 minutes when called upon they will need to........

Also Wolf, he is as good if not better than any big man we've had in a couple of years on hedging and getting back, but he did hang to long on a couple last night and was burned on one. He almost still recovered and made the block and his size and length will occasionally make up for the slower recoveries.......but he also had to over guard a couple of guys due to our defenders getting picked. He seems to have a nice idea on defense and while a little slow, smarter than what we've had of late. Tyler was in his own little world last night and he needs to have a consistent mental approach, not trying to be a star. Tried to set up a WF guy for the block when he should have held his ground and either taken a charge or just played solid defense. This blocking shots needs to stop with him now!! But he'll be fine.....We need to win a battle on the boards though, DD needs to get more than 2 I don't care how weak he is he's too long not to be able to flip balls to himself if working........Calhoun needs to just relax and let the game come to him, he couldn't wait to shoot that first jumper did not take his time and fired away....early on made a hoop then stole the inbounds and had a wide open Husky on the other side for a lay up if he threw a bounce pass but elected to take it at the WF defender - bad decision but he's learning, also needs to rebound the ball when in there.........Giffey has been really solid, that sudden back down his defender move for the little jump hook is sweet, 2 games in a row.........

All in all I thought WF played as well as they could and that happens making shots and attacking the boards a little more than our guys, and yet our guys dug deep and won a tough one. Should they have beaten them by more? Maybe but they will learn many lessons as the year goes on and this is yet another. Better to learn from a "W" than a loss!!!

Reaction Score
I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I really don't think yesterdays game was that close. We controlled the game for the most part. We missed like half-a-dozen chip shots and it was such an off day for our 3 pt. shooting. Had we landed just 1 or 2 more we might have won this game by 15-20 pts.

Like the previous poster alluded to, I see this season as a preseason for next year. What I really want to see is DD becoming a reliable swingman (still too inconsistent), Wolf or Nolan providing a strong defensive presence and us running nice half court sets (the previous few years we've been pretty bad at it - even in the championship year). If that happens, we'll be a top 10 team next year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nice analysis. I agree with others who thought EW's defense was far better than what you saw. I also believe he got cheated in the box scores because he had at least four steals. I think this game was an eye opener for the coaches.

I think the travel caught up with this team. RB and SN looked winded for much of the game. I expect that from SN because he's still not that far removed from surgery, but Ryan had his moments as well. I expect a sharper game from the team on Sunday.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Nice analysis. I agree with others who thought EW's defense was far better than what you saw. I also believe he got cheated in the box scores because he had at least four steals. I think this game was an eye opener for the coaches.

I think the travel caught up with this team. RB and SN looked winded for much of the game. I expect that from SN because he's still not that far removed from surgery, but Ryan had his moments as well. I expect a sharper game from the team on Sunday.

Agree on the travel part. I wonder if it impacted Shabazz more because of his having less time to get in condition. It was strange to see him so kind of "out of it" during the first 3/4's of the game. Hopefully the day off will help them to get some rest, relax, and be able to come back strong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Agree on the travel part. I wonder if it impacted Shabazz more because of his having less time to get in condition. It was strange to see him so kind of "out of it" during the first 3/4's of the game. Hopefully the day off will help them to get some rest, relax, and be able to come back strong.
He didn't take time off on defense. It was on the offensive end you could see his lack of movement. Personally I thought he paced himself really well considering all the travel and coming off of surgery. I wasn't expecting him to be in game shape for at least another month.

Reaction Score
Good comments from everybody. I'll admit that I didn't follow Wolf's defense too closely, it just appeared that he had a little trouble defending the pick and roll. With that said, any struggles to defend the pick and roll is a collective effort, and everybody needs to improve in that regard. Pick and roll defense is probably the hardest thing for a center to pick up (especially one as big as Wolf), so it shouldn't be a surprise if he struggles in that area early on.

By the way, I tend to agree with the poster who mentioned UConn probably should have won by 15-20. I tend to think the 3-18 from three is more of an anomaly considering we have some good shooters on this team. Even if they make 6 of 18, that's a 15 point win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom