My thoughts on last Nite | The Boneyard

My thoughts on last Nite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta tell ya this UConn team is for real. They out hustled, played better defense, were more poised, were much quicker, did the unexpected and caught Baylor off guard, and played better defense defense defense. Baylor got caught standing around way to much. Not enough movement did not execute plays and very little dribble drive and kick it out. The Baylor guards did most of the scoring one on one. The Baylor Bigs very little movement, couldnt get open enough, brought the ball down so UConn defenders could take it away and were depended on to much. Uconns defense stalled Baylors Bigs like they were standing in quick sand. Big Question what happened to Nina Davis? Not alot of playtime and not alot of points.

On UConn, absolutely tailor made Geno execution on both sides of the ball. Balanced scoring and defense. UConn played very hard, and ran their plays with fast ball movement and unselfishness. They were very very well coached. With that said they are still very young and there will be highs and lows but with all the balance they should be fine. I was very impressed. I sat with Cferraro and Danny UConn was right in front of us. Spoke with Dennis (an old friend) and Bria Hartley for a minute theyre doing fine.

UConns execution was masterful. Not daunted by the Baylors height they took the ball to the hoop when it was available and it was available quite a bit. Gabby CD Collier are very quick with all the moves. They got around Baylor players easily. CD seemed to take control of the PG position with experienced leadership. She controlled the offense while she was in and made some absolutely amazin plays.

Yesterday many fans had their doubts about this UConn team because expectations were question marks. Today many UConn fans are thinking another NC. Next is LSU on Sunday and it will be a dog fight. This group in the first 2 games fought for everything they wanted and never gave up and never let up. They are a true meaning of a team. They have alot of talent and have the qualities that Geno likes thats why theyre at UConn. I cant wait for Sunday.

Reaction Score
I believe I heard Geno say in the presser that he thinks his team is capable of having the best offense in the nation--though it only plays that way in spurts. He also goes back and forth on this team--on some days he doesn't think it's very good, and on others he berates himself for putting a ceiling on the team. I think the real secret of this team is that the kids haven't believed the critics (including us Boneyarders) who have agonized over their lack of height and experience. I think they feel that they've finally got out of the shadow of the "big 3" and can put their own stamp on UConn history. Nothing's a sure bet at this point, except that this team has incredible heart and will leave everything out on the court.

Reaction Score
>On UConn, absolutely tailor made Geno execution on both sides of the ball.<

Not too sure about that... offense does not look like it flows very well, even Geno talked about how they are not running their offense at half time, and even for most of the 3rd qtr it's the same thing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The offense will come. Last night showed its part way there. And that was a lot better than the FSU game.

As with most team sports, the defense will gell faster than the offense. So no suprised so far. Just remember Bria's statement "We don't practice until we get it right. We practice until we can't get it wrong." We will get there. The goal is March and we have taken two very big steps towards March.

Reaction Score
"I don't want to say she's as good as any point guard that we have ever had. That is saying too much too soon. But I think any other freshman in the country right now -- she is as good a guard as there is in the country coming in."

Geno Auriemma on freshman Crystal Dangerfield

Reaction Score
My thoughts about the game were personal: I felt extremely grateful for all of the wonderful years I've had following UConn WBB. It isn't the wins, it's the character of the winning. No one instills in his players greater drive for excellence than Geno. The life lessons here exceed any other. The Huskies willed a win, and they got it. That's perfection (or as close as we get).

Reaction Score
I worry about the things that happen to a team like this over the course of a season. By "like this," I mean a team that has plenty of offensive potential, but that on occasion sputters and stalls as players get out of their rhythm and start doing dumb stuff. We have not seen a UConn team with the potential to do this for a number of years, but I'm sure most can remember times when it happened in the past. The challenge for the coaching staff is twofold: In practice, to get everyone on the same page all the time and in the games, to quickly recognize when things are getting crazy and make adjustments that get the team back on course. Geno and company are probably better at these things then anyone else, but there will be times this season when it's not pretty out on the floor. Let's just hope those times don't happen when UConn is playing one of the really tough teams.

Reaction Score
Gotta tell ya this UConn team is for real. They out hustled, played better defense, were more poised, were much quicker, did the unexpected and caught Baylor off guard, and played better defense defense defense. Baylor got caught standing around way to much. Not enough movement did not execute plays and very little dribble drive and kick it out. The Baylor guards did most of the scoring one on one. The Baylor Bigs very little movement, couldnt get open enough, brought the ball down so UConn defenders could take it away and were depended on to much. Uconns defense stalled Baylors Bigs like they were standing in quick sand. Big Question what happened to Nina Davis? Not alot of playtime and not alot of points.

On UConn, absolutely tailor made Geno execution on both sides of the ball. Balanced scoring and defense. UConn played very hard, and ran their plays with fast ball movement and unselfishness. They were very very well coached. With that said they are still very young and there will be highs and lows but with all the balance they should be fine. I was very impressed. I sat with Cferraro and Danny UConn was right in front of us. Spoke with Dennis (an old friend) and Bria Hartley for a minute theyre doing fine.

UConns execution was masterful. Not daunted by the Baylors height they took the ball to the hoop when it was available and it was available quite a bit. Gabby CD Collier are very quick with all the moves. They got around Baylor players easily. CD seemed to take control of the PG position with experienced leadership. She controlled the offense while she was in and made some absolutely amazin plays.

Yesterday many fans had their doubts about this UConn team because expectations were question marks. Today many UConn fans are thinking another NC. Next is LSU on Sunday and it will be a dog fight. This group in the first 2 games fought for everything they wanted and never gave up and never let up. They are a true meaning of a team. They have alot of talent and have the qualities that Geno likes thats why theyre at UConn. I cant wait for Sunday.

Masterful game plan ---masterful execution on the bigs by Collier and Gabby.
I've been beating Crystals drums all year--no longer have --you've seen a tip of her ice berg. Geno says she's way ahead of Moriah at this point (freshman 2nd game) in their careers--she a freshman, she'll screwup--but her upside??? Wow! Same with Collier, Gabby, KLS, Butler, ---I wouldn't change the starting line up--Crystal off the bench works great right now.
Poor Gabby--when she got her second foul--she looked her world ended. What a kid!!

Reaction Score
I believe I heard Geno say in the presser that he thinks his team is capable of having the best offense in the nation--though it only plays that way in spurts. He also goes back and forth on this team--on some days he doesn't think it's very good, and on others he berates himself for putting a ceiling on the team. I think the real secret of this team is that the kids haven't believed the critics (including us Boneyarders) who have agonized over their lack of height and experience. I think they feel that they've finally got out of the shadow of the "big 3" and can put their own stamp on UConn history. Nothing's a sure bet at this point, except that this team has incredible heart and will leave everything out on the court.

Please Bag--some Boneyarders!! Geno is high and he is low on this team--for motivational purposes--he is really high on these guys. He never cheered a frosh as he did Crystal. Collier and Gabby get high praise--his tweeking of KLS is high praise .
When you lose a trio like Uconn lost--a coach must have anxiety for the next group, and believe it or not --Geno is human!! I think Geno loves coming to work 99 out of 100 days with this group. yep it will be up and down, and losses are possible--but they were possible with the Golden 3.
I haven't been much of a Gabby enthuse--her size just can't make up for 8 inches against a 6/7--or so i thought--she didn't out jump Brown--she out hustled her.
But Colliers block of a 6/7 was impressive--Brown shall learn to keep the ball high--Butler does that well. (thank Christine for that)

Reaction Score

Bags---I seek out your posting--always intelligent and insightful-- you are among abt a dozen on the By that know the game--and what it takes to make a team run.
And you do not pick nits.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Watch the game again. Baylor's bigs don't really jump. Very little elevation on shots and rebounds. Consequently, we were able to stay even in boards for most of the game by reading the shots, getting good position and wanting the boards. Baylor's bigs did not impress me as very athletic. Watch Pheesa and notice she is quick to the ball, understands were a shot is going after it hits the rims and is in position to block out and grab the ball.

Gabby sat at the 5:19 mark of the first quarter. She can't keep doing this. But look at her second half! She played great even thugh she didn't have one board the entire game. She held her own against taller players.

Reaction Score
So, what's the baseline for this team compared to other contenders?
It's that UConn is at least competitive with the others.

So, what's the upside potential for this team compared to other contenders?
  1. It is, in fact, what will improve UConn the most: that the super sophs will continue to improve, that Crystal will work herself in as a steady, productive point, and that Natalie will continue her upward trajectory of giving quality time against bigs.
  2. That UConn has the best coaching staff to assure those improvements and to game plan most effectively.
Therefore, the upside potential compared to other contenders must be considered favorable.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Watching the game in person last nite and watching it today taped on TV there is no comparison. In person UConn was terrific. They ran their plays and they looked like a well oiled machine running their plays. I have to agree with some other posters UConn got a lead and then made some mistakes which you have to understand they will because they are young an still facing inexperience but running and executing their plays created excitement and that excitement carried them. I also picked up on running plays covers up alot of their weaknesses and inexperience, because they are doing something and not thinking about anything else but doing and executing what their doing so there really isnt any hesitation or thinking about what if. If they make a mistake then they go back and run another play and theyre not thinking about the last play their only thought is what theyre suppose to be running/execution.

All this talk about Bigs. Well I think we can all see now what the difference was. UConn kept moving the ball, very little dribbling and they hustled. Hey they out rebounded Baylor with all their height. Great accomplishment Great Game.

Again their is alot of talent on this team that will be developed over the season and the next few seasons. We are a defensive nitemare with all our balance. Hey not to get ahead of myself but next season Stevens 6'6 Jr, Camara 6'2 Soph, and next years class lead by number 1 Megan Walker. Ouch to our opponents.

Reaction Score
The offense will come. Last night showed its part way there. And that was a lot better than the FSU game.

As with most team sports, the defense will gell faster than the offense. So no suprised so far. Just remember Bria's statement "We don't practice until we get it right. We practice until we can't get it wrong." We will get there. The goal is March and we have taken two very big steps towards March.
Did you see Bria behind the bench last nite? She looked MAH-VEL-OUS!

Reaction Score
Watch the game again. Baylor's bigs don't really jump. Very little elevation on shots and rebounds. Consequently, we were able to stay even in boards for most of the game by reading the shots, getting good position and wanting the boards. Baylor's bigs did not impress me as very athletic. Watch Pheesa and notice she is quick to the ball, understands were a shot is going after it hits the rims and is in position to block out and grab the ball.

Gabby sat at the 5:19 mark of the first quarter. She can't keep doing this. But look at her second half! She played great even thugh she didn't have one board the entire game. She held her own against taller players.

I don't think Baylor knows how to coach big players well enough to take advantage of their height. The 6' 7" girl would dribble as soon as she got the ball down low allowing UCONN to double team her. She should just go right up and over her defender or learn how to take a quick hook shot.

Nina Davis might as well have not played. Maybe she was sick or something.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Did you see Bria behind the bench last nite? She looked MAH-VEL-OUS!
It was appropriate that Big Shot Bria was there. Crystal may not have the same alliteration as Breezy, but she is Big Shot Crystal.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
These gutty, hard fought, close games are exciting to watch, and preferable to the 30 point blow-outs to me. I am one spoiled fan, that's for sure.

At my age
upload_2016-11-18_13-34-48.png
Over
upload_2016-11-18_13-35-44.png
Any day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics