My take on the Boneyard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My take on the Boneyard

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This is nice to read. Any chance one has been reconsidering their mantra?

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle ...​

Many and most of us like living in the north, It is also a lifestyle. One, those from the south may not understand. No attack personally just a comment. And one in the south has a love for a team in the north that much better. ;)
If you feel I don't know the northern lifestyle, I did live in Connecticut for 43 years and because of an employment opportunity relocated. I've been a fan of UConn basketball on the men's side since Wes and Toby. I found I prefer the southern lifestyle. Sometimes it's annoying when I need to checkout of a store quickly and the clerk and customer in front of me are having a detailed discussion of the weather but I have learned that is just the way it is. I do have sympathy for my Connecticut friends who have never left home and don't understand that there are other ways to live. BTW I have no mantra, just something I thought was funny on a tee shirt.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you feel I don't know the northern lifestyle, I did live in Connecticut for 43 years and because of an employment opportunity relocated. I've been a fan of UConn basketball on the men's side since Wes and Toby. I found I prefer the southern lifestyle. Sometimes it's annoying when I need to checkout of a store quickly and the clerk and customer in front of me are having a detailed discussion of the weather but I have learned that is just the way it is. I do have sympathy for my Connecticut friends who have never left home and don't understand that there are other ways to live. BTW I have no mantra, just something I thought was funny on a tee shirt.
Friend of mine moved from New Jersey to South Carolina. They went down periodically to look for houses and then one occasion with buying necessities at a Piggly Wiggly. As they were checking out the clerk said you can save a dollar on the sign if you have a Piggly Wiggly card. My friend explained that they were just down in the area looking for houses so they hadn’t gotten one yet. The clerk said “oh, then you’re definitely gonna need one“ and stopped what she was doing to walk over to customer service to get one for him. My buddy of course was mortified since there was a long line and turn to them person behind him to apologize. She smiled and was like “oh, it’s fine you’re going to need a Piggly Wiggly card.”

I’m pretty confident that would not happen in North Jersey.

Reaction Score
I had a co worker who moved to Florida. He was looking for a job down there. He thought he had good qualifications and interviewed well but never got a second interview. I suggested he needed to incorporate some "small talk" with the interviewer in the process so he didn't come across as "too northern."

He said it worked.

I consider myself a bit of a 'tweener in regards to where I fit on the spectrum. Being from Maryland, I am technically a southerner, but growing up in the western part of the state in the Appalachians I don't really fit into the southern or northern sensibilities that most people would think of. The area I grew up in sort of melded "northern" being adjacent to Pennsylvania, "southern" from West Virginia (or "Western Virginia" as some still refer to it) and "mid western" as we weren't that far from Ohio.

Makes it challenging for people to figure out where I'm from. ;)

Reaction Score
I must say this board is fantastic. That being said I do miss some of the vitriol from the Lady Vols fans of the past. What ever happened to "Shan" and some of the other devout LV fans who were regulars on the Boneyard?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Best board and the MAIN reasons for this is because the Boneyard has the poster's that are WCBB knowledgeable and the BEST Moderator's on Earth.
As I read these posts, a thought came to me. There are so many of us that have become "junkies" of the Boneyard. We have to have our daily fix. I know I'm hooked. This is the place to come 12 months a year for all of the reasons that have been so capably articulated by our boneyard brethren and friends.

We all have a common bond in that we ALL are avid fans of women's college basketball. It doesn't make any difference what team you root for or support. You're a fan, you're one of us. I've ALWAYS enjoyed reading the thoughts and concerns of non-UConn fans. Especially fans whose teams are on our schedule. I chucked at jennoCT's post: "I read other boards and not only are they not civil to visitors, they are not civil to each other." :confused: I must admit that I do not read other boards because I'm not a fan of their team.

I'm a UConn fan. I only care what MY team is doing, and the challenges THEY are having. Why would I want to read about the "in-fighting" they are engaged in? That's not fun, entertaining or informative. I'm not childing those that do read other boards. Just saying that I have no interest in doing so. When the occasional "troll" shows up, I know how to react to him/her. I either ignore them, or put them on my "ignore" list, and move on. Trolls don't enlighten or entertain me. Be gone!!

I come here when I want news about UConn. When I want news about other programs, or WCBB in general, I go to the GENERAL Board. Whoever came up with the idea to create a separate board for NON-UConn visitors and their posts and comments was genius. You can go there and post all the comments you want to about YOUR school without fear or reprisal, knowing that it's going to be read by hundreds if not thousands of readers. I liken the Boneyard to your neighborhood watering hole. You're welcome there, and you usually leave feeling better (and more informed) than you did when you went in. :)

Seldom do we (Boneyarders) ALL agree on anything, except wanting to win this year's (any year) national championship. That's the one thing we are ALL in agreement on ALL the time!! I've have my opinion changed on several occasions because a poster(s) had information or witnessed something that I did not. Opinions are based on perception and experience. A backyard swimming pool is alluring and inviting to people that can swim. It looks different to people that cannot swim, especially if they almost drowned once. :confused:

We don't have to sing the virtues about the Boneyard. It speaks for itself!!. ;)

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As I read these posts, a thought came to me. There are so many of us that have become "junkies" of the Boneyard. We have to have our daily fix. I know I'm hooked. This is the place to come 12 months a year for all of the reasons that have been so capably articulated by our boneyard brethren and friends.

We all have a common bond in that we ALL are avid fans of women's college basketball. It doesn't make any difference what team you root for or support. You're a fan, you're one of us. I've ALWAYS enjoyed reading the thoughts and concerns of non-UConn fans. Especially fans whose teams are on our schedule. I chucked at jennoCT's post: "I read other boards and not only are they not civil to visitors, they are not civil to each other." :confused: I must admit that I do not read other boards because I'm not a fan of their team.

I'm a UConn fan. I only care what MY team is doing, and the challenges THEY are having. Why would I want to read about the "in-fighting" they are engaged in? That's not fun, entertaining or informative. I'm not childing those that do read other boards. Just saying that I have no interest in doing so. When the occasional "troll" shows up, I know how to react to him/her. I either ignore them, or put them on my "ignore" list, and move on. Trolls don't enlighten or entertain me. Be gone!!

I come here when I want news about UConn. When I want news about other programs, or WCBB in general, I go to the GENERAL Board. Whoever came up with the idea to create a separate board for NON-UConn visitors and their posts and comments was genius. You can go there and post all the comments you want to about YOUR school without fear or reprisal, knowing that it's going to be read by hundreds if not thousands of readers. I liken the Boneyard to your neighborhood watering hole. You're welcome there, and you usually leave feeling better (and more informed) than you did when you went in. :)

Seldom do we (Boneyarders) ALL agree on anything, except wanting to win this year's (any year) national championship. That's the one thing we are ALL in agreement on ALL the time!! I've have my opinion changed on several occasions because a poster(s) had information or witnessed something that I did not. Opinions are based on perception and experience. A backyard swimming pool is alluring and inviting to people that can swim. It looks different to people that cannot swim, especially if they almost drowned once. :confused:

We don't have to sing the virtues about the Boneyard. It speaks for itself!!. ;)
"When the occasional "troll" shows up, I know how to react to him/her. I either ignore them, or put them on my "ignore" list, and move on. Trolls don't enlighten or entertain me. Be gone!!"

Carnac you have that luxury to be able to ignore, but I in good concise can't do it because they might want to participate in the Prognosticator's Predictions and I would not know it because I happened to have put them on ignore and forgot to "unignore" them. So I just don't read their posts unless it's on the PP page.

Reaction Score
I read on some other boards and post on a few. This board is like no other because of the basketball knowledge of the average poster and the high acumen of several volume posters. Also the willingness to dialogue on differing points of view. I admit to taking positions and making opinions from a 'senior' memory. Almost every time someone will offer a correction devoid of any type of personal attack or attempted defamation of my character. On other boards, it seems, that some posters delight in denigrating individuals. Thanks to the moderators and the gentle ladies and gentle men who make this board a delight for me to read and share.
I agree with you, there is no message board that compares to the BY. You guys are great!

Reaction Score
The board is in a sense a reflection of the style of play.
It must be about 15 years ago that I realized that the the team played the game of my youth.
That of the Celtics of the mid-50's and the Knicks of the early 60's
It was a wondrous period in men's BB.
And Geno has largely recreated it.
How could it not encourage knowledgeable, yet civil discourse.
I think you are correct about the board reflecting our type of play. However, I think you are referring to the Knicks of the late 60s early 70s. Geno has often said that when he watched the Clyde/Willis/ Bradley/ Dave D. teams he realized that was how basketball should be played and he has tried to recreate it. At our best, we bear a strong resemblance to the unselfish, crisp passing that was the hallmark of those teams and I think this year you will see a similar accuracy in shooting. My own take on this board is that it has the most knowledgeable basketball fans anywhere but there is an overriding desire here to "get it right", whether it is factual, theoretical or strategic. There are a myriad of opinions here but the truth is that they are invariably very good ones.

Reaction Score
One aspect of the BONEYARD is even with people we disagree with there's a caring, friends first attitude. Through the years I've met some of you but the last 2-3 years my health has forced me to give up my season tickets.
Over the last 8 years my health has gone off the deep end. with my heart attack and open-heart surgery etc, there was such an out poring of good will from it seemed every member of the BY! The well wishes make this difficult period in my life a little more livable!
Also the concerned question about a board member who hasn't posted in a long while is heart-warming!
Thanks again to everyone!
Boy I can't wait for this season to begin!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I've always appreciated the "civility" here that is allowed to go unchecked on many other boards.
Shutup. Nobody gives a rat's rear about your opinion. We don't need stupid comments like this from idiots who don't know what they're talking about. :D

Reaction Score
And it's Hoops fans like you that help make it so. I have some bad news for you. You may cheer for Miss. St. but, at least in my opinion, You're a Boneyarder too. ;)
I consider that a real compliment. BY fans are the cream of the crop and I am so grateful to be included with that group, you guys are friends and I just hope MSST can get it together this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom