OT: - My summer vacation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: My summer vacation

Reaction Score
Thanks for the pictures Nan, the wife (who is German) and I went in 78. She was very emotional when we went to the American cemetery. Unfortunately all of the photos that we took were lost in one of our moves back to the states along with some Hummel's and my silver pocket watch.
Took the kids and grandkids to the World Trade Center. Inside the museum there were tourists from all over. Everyone was emotional. And respectful? As crowded as it was you could hear a pin drop.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
More Normandy. There are American, British, and Canadian flags flying on homes there, some new for this year’s memorial but most have been there for ages. Individual soldiers are remembered. This from Arromanches-les-Bains, where remnants of the Mulberries are still visible

IMG_2267.jpeg

It was suitably gloomy and grey near the beaches although the rest of Normandy had beautiful weather

IMG_2258.jpeg

Reaction Score
Hi Nan! Thank you for the pictures and the comments. It looks like a lovely vacation!

The only exciting place I went this summer was a wedding in Scotland in May. Made a vacation trip out of it with my partner.

This is me with the brides (I’m in the middle) at Stirling Castle:

IMG_9076.jpeg

And here’s one of the many scenic photos I took while we stayed in Edinburgh:

IMG_9205.jpeg

We also had a long layover in Dublin on the trip to Edinburgh so we did a small day trip through there. I saw the Bram Stoker house and the Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (author of Carmilla) house. Both writers of some of the most famous vampire works. No wonder these two were friends; they only lived a block apart!

Reaction Score
Looks like it was a great trip, Nan. Our travels this year were limited to our yearly trip to the Outer Banks. We have been going there each summer with two other families for 25+ years at this point. The excitement this trip was watching a waterspout form just off the beach about 75 yards from our beach house.

Last year we did a two week trip to Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia - Herzegovina, including Mostar where you can still see evidence of the wars from the 1990's when Yugoslavia broke apart. Beautiful area that is still experiencing the effects of those wars of independence. The travel budget is being replenished in anticipation of our next trip, if we can ever decide where to go. So many choices...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lovely pictures Nan, bringing up lots of memories!
I lived in London in one of the wharf conversions at the end of tower bridge across from the Tower, and traveled around Europe quite a bit - so easy to cross the channel for a weekend!

What I love most about European cities is just walking around - there is so much history around each corner and so many little things to discover that never make it into guidebooks, but are unique and wonderful.

Reaction Score
Looks like it was a great trip, Nan. Our travels this year were limited to our yearly trip to the Outer Banks. We have been going there each summer with two other families for 25+ years at this point. The excitement this trip was watching a waterspout form just off the beach about 75 yards from our beach house.

Last year we did a two week trip to Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia - Herzegovina, including Mostar where you can still see evidence of the wars from the 1990's when Yugoslavia broke apart. Beautiful area that is still experiencing the effects of those wars of independence. The travel budget is being replenished in anticipation of our next trip, if we can ever decide where to go. So many choices...

I envy you that trip to the old Yugoslavia, Ozimoto.

I was in Italy partway through an eight-week backpacking trip in the fall of '91, awaiting the ferry from Bari across the Adriatic... my heart was set on seeing the iconic city of Dubrovnik, then heading down to experience Greece.

However, the civil war broke out the very day I was in Bari, and borders were shut off and ferry service was cancelled. I never got there but, seeing things from a positive standpoint, at least I wasn't trapped in Croatia as violence escalated.

By the way, I'm thoroughly enjoying all of everyone's posts. My days of travel are likely over, but it's fun to vicariously share in all you folks are doing... thanks for starting this thread, Nan!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Been a long time since I was in Europe. That stroke 13 years ago really impaired my walking and Europe is all about walking. Been limiting myself to national parks in the West. Even the Grand Canyon is oriented to drive and look, which is my forte' now.

Reaction Score
West coast this year. San Francisco up through Oregon, plus Rainier and Mt. Hood. Oregon coast is unforgettable.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Reaction Score
Anywho, I got home just in time for Hurricane Helene. The west coast and so called Big Bend area of Florida were hit hard but Orlando got next to nothing with just some stiff breezes and off and on rain. A typical Florida tropical downpour, quite common here, has more rain than Helene gave central Florida.

Only a month and a bit until basketball season. I can't wait.

Where did you guys go this summer?
Nan, so happy you got to experience a vacation of a lifetime, Just the trip to Omaha Beach, with all of it's historical memories, would have been worthwhile but with all the rest just so happy you have some memories of events that truly changed the world.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just got back from Paris and Normandy. Now, I know why the crowds were so huge--the entire Boneyard was there! :D

This was my third trip to Paris, but first time to Normandy. We stayed in Bayeux, where we saw the 900-year old tapestry, cathedral, and battle museum. Our D-Day trip included Omaha Beach, Point du Hoc, and the American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer. The beaches were eerily calm, unlike June 6, 1944. We also went to the amazing Mont Saint Michel. The last day, we toured Honfleur (Scandinavian name that seems French) in the rain, where the Seine flows into the English Channel.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The Palace of Versailles. It's undoubtably beautiful but they let waaaay too many people in at the same time. The palace is a series of small rooms and you end up shuffling along like a chain gang through hot, stuffy rooms. We couldn't wait to get out of the palace, to be honest. The grounds around the palace are exquisite. People that have difficulty walking would not find a visit to Versailles enjoyable, though.

One of many small rooms with paintings. A lot, if not most, of the smaller rooms are just like this but in varying colors.

View attachment 103826

The Hall of Mirrors, which is quite beautiful, but way too crowded to enjoy.

View attachment 103828
Nan, I have to ask, is that you in the green shirt and jeans?

Reaction Score
Totally different vacation for me - explored the world's largest cave, Hang Son Doong, in central Vietnam. Truly the most amazing place I have ever seen, don't think my knees will ever recover! Descent into the cave:

Attachments

• descent.JPG
    descent.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • SonDoong descent.jpg
    SonDoong descent.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reaction Score
More Son Doong photos: swimming and posing in the "James Bond Hole"

Attachments

• swimming.JPG
    swimming.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • JamesBondHole.jpg
    JamesBondHole.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 3
Reaction Score
Son Doong - a feature known as the "Wedding Cake" and exiting via the "Great Wall of Vietnam"

Attachments

• wedding cake.jpeg
    wedding cake.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 4
  • great wa;;.jpg
    great wa;;.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 4

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
If you like history, you have to love Europe. I visited there 3 summers in a row in the 1960's.

Too old to travel now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom