OT: - My summer vacation | The Boneyard

OT: My summer vacation

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Some of you guys might remember my asking about visiting Normandy. I just got back from my London-Normandy-Paris trip and thought I'd share a couple thoughts.

1. Americans are NOT the most obnoxious tourists abroad and it's not even close. Yes, we may be a little louder than the Parisians like but we are, by and large, pretty respectful of others. I heard a lot of Americans attempting to speak French and the French were most kind about it, in my experience. The folks in Normandy still love and appreciate Americans, British, and Canadians even after 80 years.
2. We thought it might be a quiet period abroad after the Olympics and high tourist season but, boy, were we wrong. It was packed everywhere.
3. As much as Americans love European clothes and culture, the Europeans love American clothes and culture. I got a chuckle out of the wild popularity of The Golden Bachelorette in England.
4. The bread in France is awesome. No sticky, gummy stuff Wonder Bread for the French and the bakeries are fabulous.

So, a couple pictures.

Parliament and Big Ben from the London Eye (the Ferris wheel on the Thames)

View attachment 103795

View attachment 103797

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Tower of London, which is not a tower as we might think of one today but a prison only a few stories high.

IMG_2228.jpg

The Tower Bridge, which is next to the Tower of London.

IMG_2233.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Normandy. I was horrified to see souvenir stores selling "D-Day" t-shirts like it was some kind of rock concert. Fortunately, they were the exception and not the rule as most of the area near the beaches is somber and respectful. For the first picture of Omaha Beach, I stood near the water and took the picture toward the hills our troops needed to scale. Note how broad the beach is and how difficult it must have been to storm across such an open area.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A delightful cafe in Normandy. People don't sit scrolling on their phones, they have a glass of wine or other beverage and converse with their companion and the other people around them. A warm and welcoming environment and oh so relaxing.

IMG_2349.jpg

Paris - the Mona Lisa at the Louvre.

IMG_2126.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
More Louvre which is, in my humble opinion, a work of art all by itself. The building takes up and entire city block and is three stories high. Every time you turn around there's a famous painting or piece of sculpture. It's hard not to be awed by the magnificence of the Louvre.

IMG_2418.jpg
IMG_2421.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Palace of Versailles. It's undoubtably beautiful but they let waaaay too many people in at the same time. The palace is a series of small rooms and you end up shuffling along like a chain gang through hot, stuffy rooms. We couldn't wait to get out of the palace, to be honest. The grounds around the palace are exquisite. People that have difficulty walking would not find a visit to Versailles enjoyable, though.

One of many small rooms with paintings. A lot, if not most, of the smaller rooms are just like this but in varying colors.

IMG_2485.jpg

The Hall of Mirrors, which is quite beautiful, but way too crowded to enjoy.

IMG_2501.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Anywho, I got home just in time for Hurricane Helene. The west coast and so called Big Bend area of Florida were hit hard but Orlando got next to nothing with just some stiff breezes and off and on rain. A typical Florida tropical downpour, quite common here, has more rain than Helene gave central Florida.

Only a month and a bit until basketball season. I can't wait.

Where did you guys go this summer?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also just got back from London and Paris. Did Normandy a few years ago. Added Provence on this trip. Your observations are spot on -- especially about the bread! Simple bread and butter in France is delish!
ScottPhoneBen.jpg
Louvre2.jpg

Reaction Score
Hope to go to Scotland next year, probably won’t include England but nothing is decided yet. Route so far is to arrive in Glasgow and go clockwise with last stop & departure from Edinburgh. Have about 3 weeks and current plan is for 7 stops of 3 nights each (Glasgow, Tobermory, Callander, Ballater, St. Andrews, Melrose, and Edinburgh). Can always take a day from one stop and add it elsewhere for longer stay there. Also need to decide between spring or fall- the days are longer in spring, but the weather may be better in the fall. Not going to Skye, already this is a good sampling of Scotland, and Mull is supposed to be delightful. History, castles and gardens, coastal villages, nice walks, whisky, golf- can’t wait!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom