My sleeper (Uconn player) | The Boneyard

My sleeper (Uconn player)

Reaction Score
I’m predicting the LG (Lexi Gordon) will be the sleeper surprise for Uconn this season. I really liked what I saw in her limited minutes. As her confidence progresses, she will become a great sub. 7-9 off the bench. Yes Geno will go that deep this season. He can!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After MW, who will almost certainly get PT this season, the best opportunity for another freshman to earn PT would be at guard, as UConn is extremely deep in the front court. With that in mind, I think Coombs has the best chance to be a contributor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
After MW, who will almost certainly get PT this season, the best opportunity for another freshman to earn PT would be at guard, as UConn is extremely deep in the front court. With that in mind, I think Coombs has the best chance to be a contributor.
I agree—more opportunity at guard. After Kia and Crystal, what does Geno do? Is the next option, moving Lou to SG, playing Molly, playing Meg at SG, or playing Mikayla at either slot?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m predicting the LG (Lexi Gordon) will be the sleeper surprise for Uconn this season. I really liked what I saw in her limited minutes. As her confidence progresses, she will become a great sub. 7-9 off the bench. Yes Geno will go that deep this season. He can!
With UCONN returning 3 AAs and 4 starters I just don't see any players beyond the 5 starters and 2 non-starters making an impact this season for UCONN. Consider that in garbage time UCONN could have a McDonalds AA players on the floor. the time to make an impact for Lexi and others to make an impact will come if they are patient. The last time UCONN had a McDonalds AA playing in garbage time she was not patient and lasted less than a semester.

Reaction Score
Have to agree.
But I think Molly will be the backup guard for Crystal.

Reaction Score
My pick is Megan. She is just great.

I too love Megan--but she is no sleeper--. Notice the minutes and when Geno put her in the game--her star shines brightly in Geno's practice court, me thinks. The real sleeper is Molly--if she wakes up and plays hard and shoots when she has the shot. I like this kid but she frustrates me. Geno wants a kid to get into a game and make a difference--she won't make a difference just passing on parameter. The report on her in HS was she would drive to the basket and score--a few of those could give her brownie points with Geno. Irwin mixes it up and takes the shot, even feeds from Molly. Ekmark she isn't but the end results may be he same.

Reaction Score
With UCONN returning 3 AAs and 4 starters I just don't see any players beyond the 5 starters and 2 non-starters making an impact this season for UCONN. Consider that in garbage time UCONN could have a McDonalds AA players on the floor. the time to make an impact for Lexi and others to make an impact will come if they are patient. The last time UCONN had a McDonalds AA playing in garbage time she was not patient and lasted less than a semester.
Geno will go deeper than 7 but not in critical games--Uconn will have a load of games where after the starter (7) have played 20 minutes it may become almost foolish and a danger to their well being to waste talent on some teams. So the sophs and Frosh may have nice minutes, enough to keep an AA moderately happy. Minutes for anyone in any game is not in my bailey wick, fortunately for the starting 7. But it is fun hypothesizing. Trying to remember the AA that left before semesters end---the one that went to Kentuck wasn't about PT--Ekmark no AA--Johnson, Englen no AA's, ---give me a month or two, it will come.

Reaction Score
I would be very surprised to see Bent get much more than mop up minutes this year.
If not Molly who then? No one knows the Geno system other than the 7 and Molly. The kids one may be ready but not experienced, that isn't a good back up. Titletown, no disrespect, but truly if no Molly who backs up Danger?? No backup? Rotate Kia, KLS --then who subs for them??

Reaction Score
Geno will go deeper than 7 but not in critical games--Uconn will have a load of games where after the starter (7) have played 20 minutes it may become almost foolish and a danger to their well being to waste talent on some teams. So the sophs and Frosh may have nice minutes, enough to keep an AA moderately happy. Minutes for anyone in any game is not in my bailey wick, fortunately for the starting 7. But it is fun hypothesizing. Trying to remember the AA that left before semesters end---the one that went to Kentuck wasn't about PT--Ekmark no AA--Johnson, Englen no AA's, ---give me a month or two, it will come.
I see the main 8 getting major playing time, starting 5, Z, Batcam and megaton.

Reaction Score
If not Molly who then? No one knows the Geno system other than the 7 and Molly. The kids one may be ready but not experienced, that isn't a good back up. Titletown, no disrespect, but truly if no Molly who backs up Danger?? No backup? Rotate Kia, KLS --then who subs for them??

They would just move Nurse to the point and Samuelson to the 2. There is NO question that Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, and Stevens is a much better lineup than Bent, Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, and Williams. Don't get so hung up on positions. Geno tends to put his 5 best players on the court regardless of position.

Reaction Score

I think you will be shocked how few minutes there will be to go around to bench players. Over the past 10 seasons UConn starters have averaged right around 30 minutes per game. That leaves us with 50 minutes/game up for grabs. Stevens will see about the same 30 minutes/game as starters do. That leaves us ONLY 20 minutes/game to be spread around the entire rest of the team.

Samarie Walker is who transferred to Kentucky.

Reaction Score
My choice for sleeper is Batouly Camara! Everyone is looking at Azura Stevens as the transfer/elite and IMO Batouly will be a force off the bench with important rebounds and 10 to 15 points from inside 12'! She's a bruiser type and will make space for teammates to go inside!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Although she didn’t necessarily show it in the game on Wednesday, I do believe that Coombs has the ability to become the 1st guard off the bench ahead of Molly.

Reaction Score
Geew1992, can't agree more. AED was incredibly aggressive on defense. Bodes well for her future at UConn. We know you get to play sooner if you're playing tough defense.

Reaction Score
I think you will be shocked how few minutes there will be to go around to bench players. Over the past 10 seasons UConn starters have averaged right around 30 minutes per game. That leaves us with 50 minutes/game up for grabs. Stevens will see about the same 30 minutes/game as starters do. That leaves us ONLY 20 minutes/game to be spread around the entire rest of the team.

Samarie Walker is who transferred to Kentucky.
I know the minutes, doing the math 7 players 20 minutes 140 leaving 60 for the bench in clean up games less in quality games---if the 7 starters get 30 minutes some are still playing as the crowd leaves. Last year Geno had to play the Core 5 no real subs. Geno with this much real talent on the bench will not play most of his starters 30 minutes. To me it is asking for injuries with the starters to waste PT in clean up time on them. \
I knew Walker was the transfer, but thanks for the reminder. I didn't want to mention Walker transferred--some may think it's Megan. Samarie did not transfer for lack of PT--she had a special friend at Kentuck--and played most games before leaving. What AA left first semester for lack of PT?????
I agree to have different opinions ---since these are opinions and Geno and Christine are the only ones whose opinions count. Thanks for the positive reply.

Reaction Score
They would just move Nurse to the point and Samuelson to the 2. There is NO question that Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, and Stevens is a much better lineup than Bent, Nurse, Samuelson, Collier, and Williams. Don't get so hung up on positions. Geno tends to put his 5 best players on the court regardless of position.
Since I'm not coaching and watched Geno for nearly 30 years --I agree your first line up is better than your second--but no one is offering Molly as a starter, and Uconn kids play a few mix and match positions as games progress--no hang up here. No confusion. Like all on the BY opinions/speculations--even if a BY-er had a direct phone to Geno --he'd do as he pleased and have special words for the advice.

Reaction Score
Although she didn’t necessarily show it in the game on Wednesday, I do believe that Coombs has the ability to become the 1st guard off the bench ahead of Molly.
There are 3 things about Molly over SOME frosh: Knows Geno's defensive methods, Div one Experience (AAC is Div 1), know how run the team If you add to that works hard, could score if her confidence level moves up. As a HS player she was touted to be a moderate to high scorer and with a high BB IQ. All of that Geno liked and probably likes everything except lack of confidence in scoring. I can't see a Frosh to have any of that until mid season--if this year. Do you? If Coombs has the ability, now, to be a backup or first after 6/7 top players--she has to be an exceptional talent== haven't heard that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are 3 things about Molly over SOME frosh: Knows Geno's defensive methods, Div one Experience (AAC is Div 1), know how run the team If you add to that works hard, could score if her confidence level moves up. As a HS player she was touted to be a moderate to high scorer and with a high BB IQ. All of that Geno liked and probably likes everything except lack of confidence in scoring. I can't see a Frosh to have any of that until mid season--if this year. Do you? If Coombs has the ability, now, to be a backup or first after 6/7 top players--she has to be an exceptional talent== haven't heard that.
I don't disagree with your analysis, but in watching Coombs during HS all-star games, where every other player is chucking up shots and not playing defense, Coombs played tough defense and showed exceptional ability to pass the ball. Both qualities will endear her to Geno and perhaps, if she progresses well, allow her to pass Molly on the depth chart to be the 1st guard off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom