My sleeper (Uconn player) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My sleeper (Uconn player)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know Batouly Camara is injured but may play next week.
How do people think her?
As a freshman at KY, BatCam eventually worked her way into the starting lineup where she was a physical, solid defender and rebounder with a nice shooting touch from 15 ft and in. Her best game was at SC against Wilson & Coates. If BatCam can just do that at UConn, she will earn minutes off the bench, particularly when facing physical front court players like SC, TX, etc.

Hopefully she'll get healthy soon and be able to work her way back into the rotation.

Reaction Score
FYI: We have TWO McDonald's All-Americans (freshman) on our team. One National POY (freshman) on our team.
The other McD's AA will be competing for Dangerfields's backup spot with the other sleeper - AEH.

I don't think Batouly or Irwin should be sleepers. They both more or less are known quantities-they can play/will play well. I am interested in Bent, AEH and Coombs.

Kia and Dangerfield are the starters. Kia is moderately quick, with very good size for a guard. Dangerfield suffers defensively because of her height.
So, will Geno look for a good sized guard to back up Dangerfield.

Coombs is the shortest out of herself, Bent and AEH. AEH is Gabby sized with seemingly good defense (e.g. exhibition game) with an outside shot and good moves. Coombs is the shortest but has a very high BB-IQ. I see her as the next true point guard (like Dangerfield) and AEH as a dual PG/SG like Kia.

Geno has said Coombs is a lot like Kia -so what do I know :) ?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your analysis, but in watching Coombs during HS all-star games, where every other player is chucking up shots and not playing defense, Coombs played tough defense and showed exceptional ability to pass the ball. Both qualities will endear her to Geno and perhaps, if she progresses well, allow her to pass Molly on the depth chart to be the 1st guard off the bench.
If you read my other posts on Molly you will find we are very closely in agreement on Molly. My question, for me or any one, is who will back up Danger? I've made my case on nearly all frosh, and in other areas about Molly--Touly has the experience as a wing, move her into guard if she can handle the job?? Loads of talent but Div 1 experience end after the first 6 plus Touly, add Irwin and Molly ---if push came to shove and Geno had to reach deep where does he go to?? Interesting, for me, who does what? \
You are not the only one to sing the praises of Coombs apparently she is pretty good. I'll look in the next exhibit to see when Geno brings her in, to me that show a level of his appreciation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your analysis, but in watching Coombs during HS all-star games, where every other player is chucking up shots and not playing defense, Coombs played tough defense and showed exceptional ability to pass the ball. Both qualities will endear her to Geno and perhaps, if she progresses well, allow her to pass Molly on the depth chart to be the 1st guard off the bench.
I saw Mikayla in person at the Jordan Brand game. I thought she was disciplined, smooth, and skilled. She looked college-ready to me. Geno says she’s being too tentative. Look for that to change.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
FYI: We have TWO McDonald's All-Americans (freshman) on our team. One National POY (freshman) on our team.
The other McD's AA will be competing for Dangerfields's backup spot with the other sleeper - AEH.

I don't think Batouly or Irwin should be sleepers. They both more or less are known quantities-they can play/will play well. I am interested in Bent, AEH and Coombs.

Kia and Dangerfield are the starters. Kia is moderately quick, with very good size for a guard. Dangerfield suffers defensively because of her height.

Coombs is the shortest out of herself, Bent and AEH. AEH is Gabby sized with seemingly good defense (e.g. exhibition game) with an outside shot and good moves. Coombs is the shortest but has a very high BB-IQ. I see her as the next true point guard (like Dangerfield) and AEH as a dual PG/SG like Kia.

I want to see Mikayla stand next to Molly. I suspect there is little to no height difference. Andi is definitely taller than both.

Reaction Score
I’m predicting the LG (Lexi Gordon) will be the sleeper surprise for Uconn this season. I really liked what I saw in her limited minutes. As her confidence progresses, she will become a great sub. 7-9 off the bench. Yes Geno will go that deep this season. He can!

I agree 100%. I've said this many times! She's is certainly going to be a key for us in the near future. I do agree by years end she's going to be a very pleasant surprise to a lot of people.

Reaction Score
Kyla is my sleeper. She's a blue-collar-Kelly-Faris-esque grittster who's not afraid to shoot and who never lets the moment get too big.

I see you, Kyla.

This is also a smart post. Kyla is actually very good! I kinda feel bad she's here. I feel like if she was at a normal program she would get more minutes and realize her full potential quicker. The girl is smart, tough, can mix it up and hit a three!! The girl just needs minutes. It's all there.

Reaction Score
I want to see Mikayla stand next to Molly. I suspect there is little to no height difference. Andi is definitely taller than both.
I think the issue of height : unless height difference is exceptional then it depends on ability; see Gabby (in the dictionary for that explanation)

Reaction Score
If not Molly who then? No one knows the Geno system other than the 7 and Molly. The kids one may be ready but not experienced, that isn't a good back up. Titletown, no disrespect, but truly if no Molly who backs up Danger?? No backup? Rotate Kia, KLS --then who subs for them??
No disrespect directed at Molly, who appears to be one of the harder workers, but until her offense gets in gear she is unlikely to get minutes. Needs to not hesitate and take and make open shots. Overall, appears to have the skills but for some reason is mechanical on both offense and defense.

Reaction Score

Coombs=good defense=minutes

Reaction Score
No disrespect directed at Molly, who appears to be one of the harder workers, but until her offense gets in gear she is unlikely to get minutes. Needs to not hesitate and take and make open shots. Overall, appears to have the skills but for some reason is mechanical on both offense and defense.
You Oldude and others like Coomb. Molly is "mechanical", I believe because she is trying hard to give Geno exactly what he has described---and because she thinks with each step "what does Coach want " (she has too much respect to call him Geno). If she could channel DT's mentality--she'd say : "to He-- with coach I'll show him how I do it" she could be a top Uconn player. Molly is just to darn NICE. In HS she was smooth, fluid, scored and played D. She is working too hard to please. Maybe all of that is why I like this young woman so much.

Reaction Score
You Oldude and others like Coomb. Molly is "mechanical", I believe because she is trying hard to give Geno exactly what he has described---and because she thinks with each step "what does Coach want " (she has too much respect to call him Geno). If she could channel DT's mentality--she'd say : "to He-- with coach I'll show him how I do it" she could be a top Uconn player. Molly is just to darn NICE. In HS she was smooth, fluid, scored and played D. She is working too hard to please. Maybe all of that is why I like this young woman so much.

Ha ha. I nominate this as most outrageous post of the year. Laughable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom