My Personal Thoughts | The Boneyard

My Personal Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not overly impressed at all. Free throws missed, Turnovers, Rebounding,open shots and inside scoring. There was some positives, Napier scoring and passing. Lambs amazing dunk and excellent shooting. Roscoes defense on their scorer. Tyler Olanders outlet pass to Lambs three. But there was times where I was screaming at the tv like, where is our rebounding? Why is this guy wide open? It sucked that Drummond got into foul trouble and later in the game got hit in his nose and left. He should be okay. AO made me so mad in the game with his soft inside game. I wish he could just go up strong and make a basket. Of course he had a deep jumper which was nice but inside, nothing at all. Pretty embarrassing. But on a positive note, I loved what i seen from Lamb and Napier.

Reaction Score
I was content with tonight's game. I'll be upset if they're playing like that in January.

Reaction Score
1st game...SN and JL were solid...agreed it was sloppy...but...1st game :)

Reaction Score
Too much reaching on D and not being disciplined and staying home. Also, too many instances where JL, RS, & DD were standing on the perimeter with their hands by their sides while Columbia guards were shooting uncontested 3's. No reason why they shouldn't have at least got a hand up with their wingspans to challenge the shots. Lastly, Olander was the only big to play well, AO really hasn't looked good at all yet thru 3 games. Not sure what happens with him in the post but everything up to the actual shot attempt is good, but then he short arms and halfway shoots. Love Shabazz & Lamb in the backcourt together, great chemistry and hopefully Boat can add to that once he becomes eligible.

Reaction Score
aceboon, totally agree about Oriakhi, he does everything right up until the shot, he shortarms it and even when he gets good position half the time he when he goes up he gets off balance and just flings it up at the rim. We definitely got a little lazy at times but I'm not worried at all, our talent is off the charts. Olander's improvement is dramatic, same with Shabazz and Lamb.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This game is a disaster if Drummond got hurt again.

Reaction Score
aceboon, totally agree about Oriakhi, he does everything right up until the shot, he shortarms it and even when he gets good position half the time he when he goes up he gets off balance and just flings it up at the rim. We definitely got a little lazy at times but I'm not worried at all, our talent is off the charts. Olander's improvement is dramatic, same with Shabazz and Lamb.
Being a little lazy is unacceptable, but whatever. Olander def looked better with that weak side block. I also liked that we ran an out of bounce play for DD. Although he missed the shot, it looked good and hopefully in the future he knocks it down.

Reaction Score
Too much reaching on D and not being disciplined and staying home. Also, too many instances where JL, RS, & DD were standing on the perimeter with their hands by their sides while Columbia guards were shooting uncontested 3's. No reason why they shouldn't have at least got a hand up with their wingspans to challenge the shots. Lastly, Olander was the only big to play well, AO really hasn't looked good at all yet thru 3 games. Not sure what happens with him in the post but everything up to the actual shot attempt is good, but then he short arms and halfway shoots. Love Shabazz & Lamb in the backcourt together, great chemistry and hopefully Boat can add to that once he becomes eligible.

Agree with everything you say. But is anyone really concerned about any of it? We know these guys will play brilliant D when they have to and we know we can count on AO when we need to. To me, this season is all about the half court offense. That will probably be an open question for quite awhile, but I don't think the rest is anything to worry about.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TO was the best big tonight. Great job on both ends. Andre was handcuffed by the fouls, many of which seemed awfully ticky-tack. Once he settles down hE will be fine on offense & his defensive presence was noticeable for the limited time he was in there.
JLamb was awesome at the two...not so much as the PG...we definitely need RB back. SN was very solid and his offensive confidence was very reassuring.
AO struggled on offense and still displayed Roerto Duran hands.
Good overall game by the young Huskies IMHO...Columbia actually played very solid as a team on defense and our team offense still needs a lot of work. Can't believe that they will hit so many contested, fadeaway and 25 foot 3 pointers the rest of the way, but maybe they are that good

Reaction Score
No not concerned, just my observations of tonight's game. I know when they have to play a game against a team that is on their level physically they know they can't be as lax or gamble the way they did tonight.

Agree with everything you say. But is anyone really concerned about any of it? We know these guys will play brilliant D when they have to and we know we can count on AO when we need to. To me, this season is all about the half court offense. That will probably be an open question for quite awhile, but I don't think the rest is anything to worry about.

Reaction Score
Not concerned at all, there is alwaus going to be a few defensive lapses when you are playing a team you are much better than. I'm never concerned about this team buckling down on D in big games.

Reaction Score
Good point. I guess my concern is really with AO. Man up and stop playing like a softy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good analysis. I felt that TO and SN were tired over the last six minutes of the game when UConn went up by 17. After that Columbia outplayed UConn.

Allan, DD and AD were mostly ineffective this game. RB can't come quick enough. SN needs more rest. He lacks the stamina of KW. Outside of TO the bigs were ineffective.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
AO is just too slow making a move. By the time he gets into his move, there are three guys around him and he wont dump it out. If he can start hurting teams when the collapse like that by dumping to an open roscoe or lamb, he'll get more room to operate. That and he just has to be faster about it. If you're going up, go up before the help arrives.

Reaction Score
It's game one and we could use Boatright. This is a very young team that will take time to learn how to do this without Kemba and that's why I'm happy our schedule is not killer early.

Reaction Score
Not overly impressed at all. Free throws missed, Turnovers, Rebounding,open shots and inside scoring. There was some positives, Napier scoring and passing. Lambs amazing dunk and excellent shooting. Roscoes defense on their scorer. Tyler Olanders outlet pass to Lambs three. But there was times where I was screaming at the tv like, where is our rebounding? Why is this guy wide open? It sucked that Drummond got into foul trouble and later in the game got hit in his nose and left. He should be okay. AO made me so mad in the game with his soft inside game. I wish he could just go up strong and make a basket. Of course he had a deep jumper which was nice but inside, nothing at all. Pretty embarrassing. But on a positive note, I loved what i seen from Lamb and Napier.

Get used to being wrong. Unless this is a mojo post- you must have been watching our 10th game of the season and not the first. It was fine- dook won by a point- these games mean little as long as you win and the young pups learn along the way. This is young team.

You will be "loving" our front court when AO and AD are crushing Quse and pitt (scum)- like peanuts on pad thai.

DOOMED!

Reaction Score
Good point. I guess my concern is really with AO. Man up and stop playing like a softy.

It seems like the luster of a national championship allowed us to overlook the fact that, for most of last season, AO gave us fits with his lack of toughness inside. It's not obvious that those habits are going to disappear.

Reaction Score

Boo-hoo, wah wah, etc.

Not Embarrassed,

JK - I think we're fine. Gonna be such an exciting team to watch.

Reaction Score
Boo-hoo, wah wah, etc.

Not Embarrassed,

JK - I think we're fine. Gonna be such an exciting team to watch.

This team is as good as it gets, by the way. 2012 Uconn is a (fatally doomed) Championship caliber team. This team is gonna steamroll.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It seems like the luster of a national championship allowed us to overlook the fact that, for most of last season, AO gave us fits with his lack of toughness inside. It's not obvious that those habits are going to disappear.
He was inconsistent with toughness on the inside. There were games in which he was a monster. I think his problem is a lack of confidence. If he picks up a quick foul or misses his first couple of shots, he tends to over think things. He ends up being mechanical with his shots and tentative going to the basket - things people mention in this thread.

Reaction Score
He seems to be more comfortable when games get physical and you can freely throw your body around (Michigan State, Texas - even Butler). When a smaller team schemes against him, and runs double-teams at him, or plays behind him and forces him to shoot contested 10-footers, he sometimes gets out of kilter - and he puts up some ugly shots when he's out of kilter and trying to force it. That 10-15 foot jumper is key for him as an alternate weapon when it's hard for him to just bull his way to the basket against smaller players who aren't as physical.

Reaction Score
Took a lot more positives than negatives from this game. JL is the go to guy and a NPOY candidate. SN will be more than a solid PG. TO will bust the Syracuse zone :)

We know AO and RS can bring it, so not worried. DD showed enough in preseason and today let JL and SN do the scoring. The only question mark is AD (plenty of time for him to mature - remember Lamb last year?) and back-up PG (should be sorted when RB is back)

Reaction Score
we all know AO can be inconsistent, but this is the same guy who tore down 22 boards at Texas and anchored us inside during our march run. he'll be more than fine.

Reaction Score
I felt that there were a few times where we were about to blow the game open. However, younger teams tend not to appreciate how important a 'go for the jugular' mentaility is. On the other hand, I never felt that we were in danger of losing, or even of getting caught. Credit Columbia for playing a very scrappy game, and for keeping their poise when a blowout was close.

The only concern I have is with Alex, because we need him to be a leader on this team, and it's hard to lead when you're in a funk, whether it's because you have little confidence in your game, or because you don't like the PT you're getting. Andre will be much better once he realizes the amount of focus and energy it takes to be successful at this level.

Missing Boatright was also huge, because it forced Bazz and Jeremy to be more passive than we'd like them to be, especially on defense. That gave Columbia some open 3's that kept them in the game. It looked like Allen discovered how much faster the game is at a D1 college level, but he hung in there well once he got his feet under him.

I'm still very confident that, now that they know what they're up against, this team will leap forward. I'm very content with letting Bazz and Jeremy lead this team until we get everyone back, and until the freshmen catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom