My favorite player, not on my favorite team is... | The Boneyard

My favorite player, not on my favorite team is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Our love of our Huskies is obvious. For all the hardcore WCBB fans- Name your favorite player, not on your favorite team.

My favorite player not on my favorite team is Kelsey Minato. As has been mentioned here before Kelsey had an opportunity to play big time WCBB (UCLA, USC, Oregon) but being from military family chose Army instead.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...minato-best-player-army-black-knights-history

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is in the NCAA record book with a pretty amazing stat - highest FT shooting percentage in a single game - there are 27 players tied at 100% (minimum of 7 made) but the number one spot goes to Mianato because no one has done it on as many attempts - 26! She did it last Feb against Holy Cross, going 26-26.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Without a doubt for me its Minato. I have seen her since HS and when she played club ball for Cal Swish(same club as KLS, different years). Smart and one of the hardest workers out there. Extremely proud she is in our "Army".

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I love C. Williams of USF (please don't hate me bonyarders!)

She's so tough

And she seems to continue to do well against our team...maybe one day lead an upset??

Gosh how dare I say it

Reaction Score
(snip) My favorite player not on my favorite team is Kelsey Minato. As has been mentioned here before Kelsey had an opportunity to play big time WCBB (UCLA, USC, Oregon) but being from military family chose Army instead. (link omitted)

For anyone who has attended and especially graduated from an Academy (like me) or has known someone who has (many, many), the USMA aspect really adds to this young lady's accomplishments. Cudos!

Reaction Score
Okay so absolutely non UConn related just to name a few.....

Jillian Alleyne Oregon
Tyra Buss Indiana
Jonquel Jones GW
Kelsey Minato Army
Megan Podkowa DePaul

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Brianna Banks (and soon to be DJB) Penn State
C. Williams (not sorry) USF
I think Courtney's motto is there's no crying in basketball.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I loved Hrynko from DePaul, mainly because of her hair. It was so amazing. Shallow? Probably.

I actually like Cable a lot too. She's the type of player we would love if she played at UConn. She's super tough and gritty and has turned into a real leader for that team - and I don't find her as annoying as Skylar, Mallory, that other one who also threw herself into every defender (can't remember her name), Bruiser or Loyd. (Now that I think about it, I can't remember why I don't like Loyd. Maybe it's the announcers screaming "Jewelly-Oop" all the time)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the PAC12 players

Jordin Canada-UCLA
Monique Billings-UCLA
Kelsey Plum-Washington
Sophie Bruner-ASU

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Madison Cable of Notre Dame is definitely my favorite non-Husky, for all the reasons that Sara mentioned, plus a couple more:

1. She is from Mount Lebanon PA, one Pittsburgh suburb away from my home town. Since she is attending a Catholic college, I wonder if she attended Seton Lasalle High School, my alma mater.
2. I have two brothers who are alumni of Notre Dame.

She really is as close a basketball clone to Kelly Faris as we are ever likely to see.

Reaction Score
Ruth Hamblin, Gabriella Hanson, & Sydney Wiese of Oregon State
Rachel Banham Minnesota
Haley Smith Colorado
Jordan Adams USC Women of Troy

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Madison Cable of Notre Dame is definitely my favorite non-Husky, for all the reasons that Sara mentioned, plus a couple more:

1. She is from Mount Lebanon PA, one Pittsburgh suburb away from my home town. Since she is attending a Catholic college, I wonder if she attended Seton Lasalle High School, my alma mater.
2. I have two brothers who are alumni of Notre Dame.

She really is as close a basketball clone to Kelly Faris as we are ever likely to see.
Joe I have to dissent (strongly). I dislike Madison Cable because at least once per game she under cuts someone. During the last UCONN game she undercut both Stewie ( Video Below) and Tuck. She did same to Mitchell of OSU and Diamond during the ND Vs Tenn. game.
Very dangerous technique. She is no Kelly Faris.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Karlee McBride. The McBrides are from my hometown of Erie, PA. Karlee's not quite as good as Kayla but she still represents NW PA well. She has started the last 4 games for Indiana and has scored in double figures in 3 of those, including a win over Illinois where she hit the game-winning 3.

A couple that played ND this year that I enjoyed watching: Jessica January (also saw her in person against UConn) and Jamie Weisner

Katie Lou Samuelson - just seems like a nice kid and I like her game. Really wanted her for ND but her poor judgment hasn't soured me on her ;) As a tall, lanky person myself, I naturally root for the tall, lanky people.

Reaction Score
Karlee McBride. The McBrides are from my hometown of Erie, PA. Karlee's not quite as good as Kayla but she still represents NW PA well. She has started the last 4 games for Indiana and has scored in double figures in 3 of those, including a win over Illinois where she hit the game-winning 3.

A couple that played ND this year that I enjoyed watching: Jessica January (also saw her in person against UConn) and Jamie Weisner

Katie Lou Samuelson - just seems like a nice kid and I like her game. Really wanted her for ND but her poor judgment hasn't soured me on her ;) As a tall, lanky person myself, I naturally root for the tall, lanky people.

So, you're a fan of Stewie.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So, you're a fan of Stewie.

She has inflicted too much pain on ND for me to be a fan. I would say my attitude towards her is an equal mix of respect and fear. Maybe when she gets to the Storm. Pretty excited to watch her and Loyd team up.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Being a former post player, I tend to lend towards post players. This is a no brainer for me. Brianna Turner (Notre Dame).
While I'm not a ND fan, I am a BT fan. I still wish she had come to UConn.

I love her skill set. I predicted early during her freshman year that she will be an All-American by the end of her junior year. We'll see if I'm right.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
1. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough/Maryland
2. Jordin Canada/UCLA
3. The Kelsey's (Mitchell & Plum)/Ohio State & Washington

Some guards are great scorers, some are great distributors and some can do both. These four are my favorite because they are relentless scorers capable of taking over games. SWK is my top dog though. I really like Frese as a coach and ever since I really got into WBB I've always favored Maryland as a team. SWK just plays a style of bball I enjoy watching. She has a quiet confidence to her game. She reminds me of the girls in my neighborhood growing up that would always play basketball with the boys and hold their own.

If you'd ask me this question a few years ago I probably would've said Odyssey Sims, Skylar Diggins and Alyssa Thomas (not a guard, but still).

A few post players I like...

1. Adut Bulgak/Florida State
2. Azura Stephens/Duke

I love versatile post players. If Bulgak moved to the 4 and had a dominant center (like Alaina Coates) to play alongside of I'm convinced she could average 20ppg. Stephens has those same intangibles but she can get lost in big games. I don't think she has that killer instinct yet.

Reaction Score
Jessica Shepherd! She is only a freshman, but already may be the best center in the country.

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
I like....

A. Wilson on SCarolina

Courtney Williams USF

T. Mitchell is fun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online