My count was 23 BYU kids were missionaries | The Boneyard

My count was 23 BYU kids were missionaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kids? Sorry ... I think that euphemism is wrong.

This is an advantage for the BYU program and they have used it well. They are, through their history. mature and composed. Lots of things benefit from having 1/4 of your squad having been through those two years of growth. And, probably a good portion of the Freshman are scheduled to go on missions. And, they use Community Colleges in Utah and California quite a bit which matches the maturity of the Team. They are never a "young" Team ... as we are.

Reaction Score
They aren't worried about having to come up with 'cost of attendance" money since they don't need it. By the time they are seniors, most BYU players are eligible for Social Security.

On a serious note, you are correct. They, and actually lots of west coast teams, use the Community College system very effectively as a feeder, which is something we don't do in the east any where near as much. Sometimes that can break down when you have players who don't mesh in a given season, but over all it is seems to work for them and others.

Reaction Score

This is an advantage for the BYU program and they have used it well. They are, through their history. mature and composed. Lots of things benefit from having 1/4 of your squad having been through those two years of growth. And, probably a good portion of the Freshman are scheduled to go on missions. And, they use Community Colleges in Utah and California quite a bit which matches the maturity of the Team. They are never a "young" Team ... as we are.
C'mon you can do better than that. How does serving a mission for 2 years make you a better football player? They aren't out there working out or practicing. They may be more spiritually mature than the other teams they play but definitely no physical advantage

Reaction Score
This isn't that hard. Maybe you have no kids in that age range.

There is a big difference between playing an 18 year old or 19 year old RFR and 22/23 years old. We are the former because of coaching transitions and requirements; you are the latter. I read a P5 Program that played 13 True Freshman last year regularly. That is a comparative advantage ... MOSTLY (in my head) ... on play on the Line. Mature. And focus. That gets better in those years. When I think of skill players, you may be right; there may be regression from the explosion of athleticism if you really didn't work out etc.

yadayada ... spiritual. But, the real issue is simply a few years beyond High School is important.

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I've always said that a 5th year senior is virtually always better than a true freshman and it works for every position, but particularly linemen and quarterbacks. It is about physical development as well as mental development.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but we hear this excuse from every team we play, especially the ones who have no/little history playing BYU, and it is RIDICULOUS. First of all, every team has this option. Why don't you go tell Diaco to take his prized recruiting classes and send them off to the peace corps in the Philippines (before they ever play a down of D-1 football mind you) where they cannot workout effectively and have to eat foods that their bodies aren't used to and have to focus on everything BUT football and see what his reaction is. He will tell you that you are crazy and he would NEVER choose that option. In fact, a lot of coaches around the country that recruit Mormons ultimately refuse to give them scholarships if they have plans to go on a mission. Secondly, we don't send these guys on missions so they can simply age like a fine cheese or wine and then come back as "grown men" and be better at football. Most return missionaries have a hard time getting back to what they were physically before their missions; in fact, occasionally we will have one come back and decide that he just can't or doesn't want to play football anymore. I would admit that there are some physical and mental benefits to being 2 years older, but I would argue that for each advantage there are 3 disadvantages but nobody from the other side of this argument never acknowledges or talks about those.

Either way, good luck on Friday. Can't wait for the season to get started.

Reaction Score
People have been saying this for years. We still have lots of returned missionaries. I don't think it is an advantage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
23 BYU kids favored the missionary position. Interesting.

Reaction Score

As BYU fans we are used to people finding excuses for when we win. Besides, I think Taysom Hill (our qb) is only 24 or 25.

One of our favorite phrases is, "Just win baby!"

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but we hear this excuse from every team we play, especially the ones who have no/little history playing BYU, and it is RIDICULOUS. First of all, every team has this option. Why don't you go tell Diaco to take his prized recruiting classes and send them off to the peace corps in the Philippines (before they ever play a down of D-1 football mind you) where they cannot workout effectively and have to eat foods that their bodies aren't used to and have to focus on everything BUT football and see what his reaction is. He will tell you that you are crazy and he would NEVER choose that option. In fact, a lot of coaches around the country that recruit Mormons ultimately refuse to give them scholarships if they have plans to go on a mission. Secondly, we don't send these guys on missions so they can simply age like a fine cheese or wine and then come back as "grown men" and be better at football. Most return missionaries have a hard time getting back to what they were physically before their missions; in fact, occasionally we will have one come back and decide that he just can't or doesn't want to play football anymore. I would admit that there are some physical and mental benefits to being 2 years older, but I would argue that for each advantage there are 3 disadvantages but nobody from the other side of this argument never acknowledges or talks about those.

Either way, good luck on Friday. Can't wait for the season to get started.

it's not an excuse ... it's right there in your Program in black and white. You have older guys.

Nobody here is getting too phased by this. We will put the ball on the 35 and kick it off.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
C'mon you can do better than that. How does serving a mission for 2 years make you a better football player? They aren't out there working out or practicing. They may be more spiritually mature than the other teams they play but definitely no physical advantage

You're a dingbat if you don't think being two years older than the norm isn't a physical advantage.

Reaction Score
You're a dingbat if you don't think being two years older than the norm isn't a physical advantage.

No way! Even though our players are on average two years older when they are at BYU they all have to abide BYU these Honor Code. This makes it harder because our standards are so high.

Reaction Score
There may be two misunderstandings here:

1 - The OP is trying to compliment BYU, not hint the program cheats by using fat mormon missionaries.
2 - bringing up age to BYU fans can sometimes strike a chord because historically it seems it's only brought up to discredit 'good' BYU teams.

Reaction Score

^^^^^^

"This is an advantage for the BYU program and they have used it well..."

Maybe excuse is the wrong word, how about complaint, gripe, beef, grievance, explanation for why BYU is better than ____ team. Do any of those sit better with you? Bottom line is it is old and tired. For every advantage that BYU may get from having "old men" on their team there are several disadvantages.

Reaction Score

Two years of physical and and mental maturity make a huge difference.

Reaction Score
being older can be a benefit but you also have to consider what the individual player did during those 2 years. If he is working out and learning plays its a big advantage but the players who go on missions usually come back in far worse shape than a freshman just out of high school. Some of them jump right back in and its not like they were gone and then its an advantage having those 2 years maturity but those are the very small minority. This "advantage" is available to all NCAA athletes, and not just Mormon missionaries. If a coach feels its a big advantage they can recruit players who want to serve in the peace corp or some other service organization. What usually happens though is a coach recruits an LDS kid who plans on serving a mission and instead of rubbing his hands together in glee to have such a great advantage he talks the kid out of going for 2 years. We've seen this with a bunch of recruits who want a mission but go to P5 school.

Reaction Score
It's not cheating. But to claim it's not a distinct advantage is a tad much. I also don't buy the argument that any teams can do it. Not really. Good luck finding kids who are willing to take off 2 years of college to go serve in the Peace Corps. It's rare. I'm amazed that BYU finds a quarter of their roster who's willing to go on these LDS missions.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
being older can be a benefit but you also have to consider what the individual player did during those 2 years....

All that is palaver - it's physically beneficial to be 23 years old and playing against 21 year olds.

It's not an arguable point.

Reaction Score
All that is palaver - it's physically beneficial to be 23 years old and playing against 21 year olds.

It's not an arguable point.
Fishy have you ever played a sport cometitively and the taken 2 years away and never touch the ball or do anything to keep you in some sort of physical condition? I have and you can think that logicallyts a big advantage but until you've experienced it all you are doing is speculating. A friend of mine who went on his mission at 280 (oline) came back at 190 and never played again. It was a huge advantage for him I'll tell you.

Reaction Score
Its an advantage in some instances and not in others. Overall I'd say it's a net advantage though. More than physically (because taking two years off and not working out is not good for anyones chances to compete) I think the advantage is mental. People that go on missions seem some . I know I did living in a 3rd world country for two years. You deal with stuff people your age just don't have to deal with on a regular basis. You come back pretty mentally tough.

On the other hand, there have been countless kids that come back and have totally lost their fire for the game. Again, seeing how the other half lives, so to speak, just kind of changes you. Football seems to matter a little less or something. Not sure.

I do think it is a net advantage for BYU though. The advantage is mitigated by the fact that you have to find kids that won't drink or have premarital sex or grow a beard, etc., and that sort of levels the playing field a little. A lot of kids won't even consider BYU (and I don't blame them; we are a different bunch.) There are a few non D1 talent kids taking up roster spots.

Reaction Score
I didn't intend to hit a nerve.

But ... look ... if you don't think 24 year old junior Taymon Hill is physically more developed and mature than a kid that was playing high school 3 falls ago, then I don't know what to do but laugh.

At UConn, we have enough excuses. Our State produces less Rivals 4/5 stars ... blah blah blah. I don't think we really want to get into your honor code. I think the original point is absolutely true: you have older guys and that generally is an advantage.

Reaction Score
By the way, that number of 23 is WAY low. In 2013 there were around 75 guys on the team that had served missions. Right now there are about 50 players in the program that are CURRENTLY serving missions in around 30 different countries.

I was D2 athlete - track and football. I served a mission to northern Chile in '93-'94. When I got back my knees and back were in pretty bad shape, and in my rush to try and get back in shape for competing again I could never get back to where I was. I didn't end up playing anymore in college after that.

There are advantages, and if you can come through the mission without any major physical issues you've got a chance. Mentally, emotionally, it's a great help in being able to work hard, focus, set goals, work as a team, etc. But it does take time to come back and remember how to crush skulls and to catch a football running full speed. Some guys never get it back at all, some get it back really well, and some excel.

Linemen, TE are those that historically have benefited the most. LB to some extent as well. QB, WR, DB...those guys seem to have a much harder time for some reason.

Looking forward to a great game on Friday! Wish I could be there in person - but I'll be watching the game at the BYUtv studios instead.

Reaction Score
I didn't intend to hit a nerve.

But ... look ... if you don't think 24 year old junior Taymon Hill is physically more developed and mature than a kid that was playing high school 3 falls ago, then I don't know what to do but laugh.

At UConn, we have enough excuses. Our State produces less Rivals 4/5 stars ... blah blah blah. I don't think we really want to get into your honor code. I think the original point is absolutely true: you have older guys and that generally is an advantage.

I see your point, but I still think you're overstating it. For as many good returned missionaries, there are twice as many, if not more who lost their physical edge.

Reaction Score
I see your point, but I still think you're overstating it. For as many good returned missionaries, there are twice as many, if not more who lost their physical edge.

And those that lose their edge don't get into the 2 deep.

Reaction Score

And those that lose their edge don't get into the 2 deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom