My Car Got Stolen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Car Got Stolen

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After a no big deal experience of Henri, I woke up at 4:40am, and noted that my car was not on the street outside my window. One of 12 Priuses reported gone from New Haven homes in the past day, as of my 5:50am call.

I've already completed the CT Stolen Vehicle report at the Police Dept; contacted UI to find out if nearby security cameras are operative & can be reviewed; spoken to my mechanic for used car leads; notified supportive family & friends; and girded myself for a decent hit from the experience. What else should I being doing?

My next call is to the insurance company, and learn what Actual Cash Value minus deductible will yield through my Comprehensive coverage.

Seeking advice on best sources for a reimbursed rental car while I shop for a replacement vehicle, and anything else that would be helpful in navigating this cluftersuck.

#adifferentkindofstormymonday

Reaction Score
A brand new catalytic converter costs between $100 and $200. It struck me that there's no way it could be worth it to steal a car to harvest a component that is worth less than $100 to the thief. Then I googled Prius batteries, as @mussels suggested. A refurbished Prius battery goes for $1500 to $2000. Now you're talking!
New aftermarket cats are $100-$200.

A new OEM or OEM compliant cat is $700+

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
A brand new catalytic converter costs between $100 and $200. It struck me that there's no way it could be worth it to steal a car to harvest a component that is worth less than $100 to the thief. Then I googled Prius batteries, as @mussels suggested. A refurbished Prius battery goes for $1500 to $2000. Now you're talking!
On a second generation Prius, I believe there's actually two converters. Each on has a few grams of platinum, palladium or rhodium. I suspect the value of converters lies in that. Probably a decent secondary market that gets them in bulk from enterprising 'entrepreneurs' and scrubs out the precious metals. Just a guess. I agree that battery is likely the prime target the catalytic converter is just low hanging fruit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After a no big deal experience of Henri, I woke up at 4:40am, and noted that my car was not on the street outside my window. One of 12 Priuses reported gone from New Haven homes in the past day, as of my 5:50am call.

I've already completed the CT Stolen Vehicle report at the Police Dept; contacted UI to find out if nearby security cameras are operative & can be reviewed; spoken to my mechanic for used car leads; notified supportive family & friends; and girded myself for a decent hit from the experience. What else should I being doing?

My next call is to the insurance company, and learn what Actual Cash Value minus deductible will yield through my Comprehensive coverage.

Seeking advice on best sources for a reimbursed rental car while I shop for a replacement vehicle, and anything else that would be helpful in navigating this cluftersuck.

Contact the insurance company about the rental. They may not reimburse for certain car rental agencies, or it may be a limited amount.

Sorry to hear about this. Property crime is no small thing. Creates real hardships for people, insured or not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Once I had a long-term rental from some schlock house the insurance company insisted on. First day I get cut off and found out the horn didn't work. I called the place and they suggested I take it to K-Mart and they would pay me back. "How about a different car?" "We're all out."

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Contact the insurance company about the rental. They may not reimburse for certain car rental agencies, or it may be a limited amount.

Sorry to hear about this. Property crime is no small thing. Creates real hardships for people, insured or not.
SAFECO set me up with a rental through preferred vendor Enterprise that'll get me a Honda CRV (or similar) under the daily limit. Chevy Equinox was more than I need, and I'm used to the CRV via a friend & relative.

Because I let go of Collision coverage due to the car's age, I'm told that I need to get the CDW, which is $19.99 daily and cannot be paid by insurer.

QUERY: What are pros & cons and exposure if I look into one of my credit cards possibly picking up this coverage? Deductible, or something else? It's been so long since this was a relevant consideration, I could use some help from someone more experienced. I pick up my car tomorrow. TIA.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
SAFECO set me up with a rental through preferred vendor Enterprise that'll get me a Honda CRV (or similar) under the daily limit. Chevy Equinox was more than I need, and I'm used to the CRV via a friend & relative.

Because I let go of Collision coverage due to the car's age, I'm told that I need to get the CDW, which is $19.99 daily and cannot be paid by insurer.

QUERY: What are pros & cons and exposure if I look into one of my credit cards possibly picking up this coverage? Deductible, or something else? It's been so long since this was a relevant consideration, I could use some help from someone more experienced. I pick up my car tomorrow. TIA.

Most of them cover it. My wife put the rear quarter of a Mercedes 320E into a garage pillar in France two years ago. Didn't cost us a penny. Believe me I was worried given the car. Pro tip: even if they give you the bigger car free, when in European cities, stick with the smaller one. Double check yours, and don't hit anything.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Most of them cover it. My wife put the rear quarter of a Mercedes 320E into a garage pillar in France two years ago. Didn't cost us a penny. Believe me I was worried given the car. Pro tip: even if they give you the bigger car free, when in European cities, stick with the smaller one. Double check yours, and don't hit anything.
I'll do research on what is omitted by the CC's protection today.

Right now, I'm reminded of 2000, when I traveled to San Francisco for a conference that gathered folks from all across the US, because my employing Internet Consultancy was a roll-up that had C-suite executives from each of the companies that were widely dispersed and oh so Ill-fit together: NYC, SF, Irvine, Houston, Schaumburg, and even Hingham on Boston's South Shore. The latter was in deference to the ex-investment banker CEO who liked to sail and had even once issued a memo calling for the company to re-brand its consolidation under the corporate name "Raildown Gumbo." From that tidbit, who here would be surprised to learn that this mishmash of cultures, competencies, and geography - not long after the SF gathering - missed out on its 3rd round funding and in painful fashion joined many others in falling 'victim' to the dot.com bubble's burst? The last pieces got absorbed into another Omnicom property, maybe Agency, certainly not Razorfish. But all that's another story.

Anyway, I rented a bicycle when I got to San Francisco, and got talked into taking the optional insurance coverage. On Sunday, I was part of an insane party bus to Napa that began early in the morning with Bloody Marys and Screwdrivers and various shots, as we traveled to a vineyard that 'somehow' was not our rather nearby client for whom we'd built an award-winning web site. That was probably my, "When did you know this company would fail?" moment. But again, not the story here.

I awakened on Monday before sunrise, in order ride my bike and catch the sunrise from the middle of the Golden Gate Bridge: timed it perfectly.

I had to scramble to get back to Embarcadero for the big kick-off breakfast meeting, and as I rode with purpose on an asphalt path through Chrissy Field, I heard a time-stopping, "No-o-o-o," whereupon I felt a thud, and experienced myself flying forward long enough to wonder how badly things were going to end AND make some guesses that a dropped shoulder tuck-and-roll might be my best option to avoid catastrophic injury. I landed hard, but on the packed sand rather than the asphalt.

I stayed very still, as a crowd immediately rushed toward and gathered around me to find out if I was OK. First to reach me, and lick my face, was "Plumber," the 195 pound bull mastiff who I had broad-sided, thus launching my flight.

The dog had been so excited by the early morning visit to the coast that he broke free from his owners prematurely. My first slow movements let me know I wasn't paralyzed.

Soon, Lat & Suzy loaded Plumber & my bike into the pickup's bed, and I squeezed into the cab with the two apologetic others. We calculated that I had just about enough time to return the bike and get me - showered & appropriately business casual - to breakfast before the welcome remarks & presentations.

On the day I'd rented the bike, I was self-critical about falling for the upsell on the insurance. That morning, I loved the look of the guy when I offered him the quite-bowed & mangled front wheel and the rest of the beat up bicycle. As his sales pitch had promised, I could just give back the bike and walk away.

I was too achy to get another one, and, in fact, as I sat in the meeting trying to assess if I was actually injured, my phone rang with a call that informed me that my partner's breast biopsy was positive, and I was on a flight back to NYC by the end of the day.

The "just walk away" promise of the CDW sales pitch still resonates.

(And this is some of what I did when I settled into just staying at home on Tuesday until getting a rental car on Wednesday.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two months ago my neighbor surprised some thieves under my 2002 F-150 sawing the exhaust pipe to steal the Cat Converters. It was parked on the street in front of my front yard. He gets up at 4 am every day and heard the saw cutting noise. They got one Cat and were in the process of sawing one of the pipes to the other one. They bolted as fast as possible before he could get a good view of the license plate on their F-150. The sheriff deputies came within minutes, and advised that there had been a rash of Cat thievery in the general area (SE Denver), with the Prius and F-150s being the main targets.

While talking to the deputies, I concluded that there is nothing to be done aside from just reporting the theft to both the police and the insurance company. Unfortunately, no personal action (retaliatory violence) is allowed; nor would firing a pistol shot into the air be tolerated (one would be charged with unlawful discharge of a weapon). So, one just needs to suck it up and pay the $500 or $1,000 deductible, and hope they do not come back around again a 2nd or 3rd time.

Sadly, these types of crimes will just continue or escalate as long as there is a failure to properly arrest, prosecute and imprison the thieves.

Reaction Score
20210824_145810.jpg

@Hans Sprungfeld you might want to check here. Could not resist, I was on State St. today for work related issues and was stuck in traffic. Low and Behold this sign is right in front of me.

Reaction Score
Reminds me if when my sister had her 70 ish ford maverick stolen from our driveway one night,early seventies.Next day my father and I drove around bpt looking for it.Lo and behold we came up behind it at a stop sign.he bumps them from behind they took off we gave chase.They stop and get out,my dad gets out with a crowbar and runs after them, I hate to think what would have happened to them if he caught one.I wound up driving the car home I think I was 14 at the time.haha fun times!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I feel terrible for Hans, but this has been the most educational thread in yard history for me. Thank you to everyone. Go Huskies!!!
Well then, I'll close out the day with a bit more:

The sweet young woman from CapOne asked three times for "1-3 minutes" to put me on hold while she researched my questions about the CDW provisions, before finally transferring me to a well-informed and helpful pro at a specialized number for "Card Benefit Services." I'd been patient in the face of insufficient knowledge, because I knew the first woman was learning each tme she looked things up, and that the work she was doing would benefit her, her company, and other cardholders moving forward.

I learned that the Credit Card CDW is more featured than Enterprise's, and that while it can only be used for a maximum of 15 consecutive days, it can be successively renewed on a new contract. That means that I don't have to take a day off or use a different credit card if I get into something like steady use for a month.

I also learned that EZ-Pass would instantly turn off my Credit Card, so it won't auto replenish if the tag does get used, and if there is any use during the remaining balance of $21, it will get credited to me if I send them a copy of my police report. There has been no use yet. I suppose the dream scenario would be a foolish minor use that takes them over state lines and into Federal crime status, gives some kind of incriminating locational clue, and exhausts its benefit after a few trips for which I'm not responsible.

I realized that two sentimentally favored baseball caps from the dot.com bust I referred to in my earlier bicycle damage story were both in the car and are now presumed forever gone. I'll never forget the stupid auto attendant greeting, "Thank you for calling Red Sky, formerly Nuforia. If you know your party's extension . . . "

Reaction Score
The sweet young woman from CapOne asked three times for "1-3 minutes" to put me on hold while she researched my questions about the CDW provisions, before finally transferring me to a well-informed and helpful pro at a specialized number for "Card Benefit Services." I'd been patient in the face of insufficient knowledge, because I knew the first woman was learning each tme she looked things up, and that the work she was doing would benefit her, her company, and other cardholders moving forward.

This is some zen ___ that I could not manage. Kudos to you.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You mean my 67 Chevy C-20 that gets 11mpg...
sweet. standard shift on the column?
10381561-1967-chevrolet-c20-std-c.jpg

even i, of limited auto repair skills, can sort of fix one of these, except for any welding required on the bed, or anywhere else. lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I work in Insurance from a claims side. PM if wanting more detail.
Most comprehensive coverage have some kind of replacement cost reimbursement specifically for theft. Therefor, you don’t have to have rental to use this feature. Companies aren’t legally allowed to mandate where you rent from, but large companies frequently have discounted rates with specific “preferred vendors”. Usually, these vendors will extend rates to policyholders even beyond the time period insurance covers if necessary. May save you in the long run. Lastly, there are usually other benefits from a liability standpoint that is with these preferred vendors.
Lots of non specific information, but hope it helps. Again, pm if wanting to discuss in more detail. Sorry for your situation here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My only auto theft story (aside from jury duty) came from attending a play at the Wang Theater in Boston, with my then girlfriend or fiancé (now wife) and her parents. I drove separately, living out of the city. After the play, went to my car, saw the door was ajar. Assumed I had closed it on the seatbelt or something. Got in, drove to the Mass Pike and headed west to Shrewsbury. It overheated near the Framingham/Natick exit. Very surprising since a friend and I drove this car from San Jose to Boston at 101-102 MPH through the Nevada and Utah desert, with no issues. Called AAA. Popped the hood and saw loose screwdrivers. Opened the glove compartment and found an old wood and brass lockback knife. It dawned on me that I had interrupted a theft (why they wanted a 1996 Contour SE with a manual I do not know). I still have the knife, never filed a police report. Got the car going again, but it never again ran the same as before and I traded it in on a 2001 Volvo S60 (my first ever new car).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom