My Car Got Stolen | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My Car Got Stolen

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After a no big deal experience of Henri, I woke up at 4:40am, and noted that my car was not on the street outside my window. One of 12 Priuses reported gone from New Haven homes in the past day, as of my 5:50am call.

I've already completed the CT Stolen Vehicle report at the Police Dept; contacted UI to find out if nearby security cameras are operative & can be reviewed; spoken to my mechanic for used car leads; notified supportive family & friends; and girded myself for a decent hit from the experience. What else should I being doing?

My next call is to the insurance company, and learn what Actual Cash Value minus deductible will yield through my Comprehensive coverage.

Seeking advice on best sources for a reimbursed rental car while I shop for a replacement vehicle, and anything else that would be helpful in navigating this cluftersuck.

#adifferentkindofstormymonday

Reaction Score
ThIeves performing a proper ROI and Risk analysis. Amazing. Thanks for the responses. The lesson here is to buy a gas guzzler with no environmental positives.
Agreed..........
1629916326798.jpeg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your prius was stolen and you are seeking advice on the boneyard. Smart. You don't know anything.

I've gotten laughs, sympathy, a welcoming place place to capture & transcribe the ongoing & unfolding internal monologue around a first-time adventure, some helpful leads & info & perspectives, and some very supportive messages both publicly & privately. All of this has boosted my mood and confidence, and no doubt improved & accelerated my performance & progress along the path through something super sucky & a pain in the ass that will cost me time & money.

I have no doubt that my family and IRL cohort appreciates me having an additional outlet to absorb my 'sharing' of the less fun aspects of it all, whether they know it or not.

Plus, I'm gathering all sorts of information that I'm already willing and happy to share with others who may have to deal with some of this stuff in the future.

You might be right that I know nothing, but I'm currently having trouble seeing how that's the case.

Oh wait, you said I don't know anything. Mebbe so.

Reaction Score
I've gotten laughs, sympathy, a welcoming place place to capture & transcribe the ongoing & unfolding internal monologue around a first-time adventure, some helpful leads & info & perspectives, and some very supportive messages both publicly & privately. All of this has boosted my mood and confidence, and no doubt improved & accelerated my performance & progress along the path through something super sucky & a pain in the ass that will cost me time & money.

I have no doubt that my family and IRL cohort appreciates me having an additional outlet to absorb my 'sharing' of the less fun aspects of it all, whether they know it or not.

Plus, I'm gathering all sorts of information that I'm already willing and happy to share with others who may have to deal with some of this stuff in the future.

You might be right that I know nothing, but I'm currently having trouble seeing how that's the case.

I was trying to be funny. Always great to get input here and I actually read through most of the comments. Sorry your ride got stolen, that does suck. Say it louder.

Reaction Score

I was trying to be funny. Always great to get input here and I actually read through most of the comments. Sorry your ride got stolen, that does suck. Say it louder.
Life is an endless learning curve.

Cmt It Sucks GIF by Party Down South

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After I watched the video, I could add the last couple lines. If somebody here is taking caring of things, then (A) I don't know anything, and (B) "I don't know anything." Thanks.
Thank the liberal "Defund Police" politicians. I am witness to lawlessness everyday like I have never seen before.
First, I think "Post/Handle," and, then, yes, I certainly note degraded standards of behavior, decorum, and discourse. Anger, aggravation, sadness, and frustration are all close at hand; why wouldn't they be?

Reaction Score
My daughter landed her dream job and moved from CT to Louisville . Two weeks later her car was stolen. Welcome to Kentucky.

The police found it during a traffic stop at 4AM , still had the CT plates, 's. The occupants fled, but were later found because they left some mail in the car. x2.

The car was a little beat up, wreaked of cigarette smoke, and there was a stolen hand gun in the glove box.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
it's ur fault that our Little Big Town concert at Bridgeport manana got cancelled. another bug related disaster. where's jimmie piersall when we need him?
After Persall wrote the book "Fear strikes out" the opposing bench jockeys used to yell "The count only went to 3 and 2". How's that for compassion.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, the number 1 theft deterrent is a manual transmission.
When I was a kid and you parked some place where you thought someone might steal your car, you removed the distributor rotor and took it with you. (because a kid would never lose a small piece of plastic and metal on his pocket - lol)

With electronic ignition I guess the next generation had to figure something else out.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

My old, long unplugged GPS was in the car, in a bag of planned giveaway items. I've use Maps or Waze on phone for years.

But thanks for reminding me (somehow) that I have to call E-Z Pass and disable the account.

Insurance company was called, and I await the assigned adjuster, who, @Chin Diesel, arranges for the car rental after 48 hrs of vehicle gone.

@BigErnMcCracken - the young woman who came in to file a report (the 6th Prius, she said) was asked by the Officer stationed behind thick glass if she'd be willing to go to court & testify. She asked some totally naive question, and he said the thieves would probably use the car to commit shootings & robberies, and run people over, and the woman reconsidered things and said she'd go to court. She was apologetic about not knowing that's what the thieves would do. The officer was being like the guy in your picture.

Catalytic converters are the suspected motivator. My mechanic said that cars are getting put on flatbed, being hauled away, and getting dumped after the catalytic converter is taken.
Waze hands down best gps app. Tells u everything. Cops, construction traffic etc. super on point and up to date. Don’t know why anyone would use anything else

Reaction Score
This came a moment ago in an email from my insurance carrier on catalytic converter theft, with some preventative tips. I know it is an after the fact thing. Sorry for your loss.

What is the Catalytic Converter?

The catalytic converter is a device that helps control your vehicle’s emissions, by converting hazardous exhaust to less harmful gasses. It’s part of your exhaust system, and usually located between the engine and your muffler.

Catalytic converters contain precious metals, which thieves can sell to scrap metal recyclers. Are some types of vehicles more susceptible to catalytic converter theft? Hybrid vehicles, trucks and SUVs are popular targets.

Because a hybrid car doesn’t use the gas engine as often, the catalytic converter retains more of its precious metals. Trucks and SUVs can also be targets as it’s easier for thieves to slide underneath the vehicle where the converter is located.

What can I do to help prevent the theft of my catalytic converter?

• If you have a home garage, park your car inside and keep the garage door shut. If you can’t park inside, install motion sensing lights in your driveway. • No home garage? Consider a parking garage or other type of secured parking area.

When garages are not an option, park in locations that are well-lit, highly visible and/or have security cameras, all of which may help dissuade would-be thieves. • If you have a high-riding vehicle (truck, SUV) back into parking spaces near lower profile cars, fences, bushes or other obstacles to make it more difficult to access underneath.

• If you have a car alarm, set it to respond to vibrations.

• Several specialized clamps and shields are now on the market to protect catalytic converters. Talk with a trusted mechanic or dealership to determine if one is right for your vehicle(s)

• Talk to your local body shop about etching your vehicle’s VIN on the catalytic converter. VIN etching can help police identify the owner, aid in a criminal investigation, and alert metal recyclers that the catalytic converter may have been stolen.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
6 or so years back, my 90s f-150 WT (work truck. straight 6, long bed, twin tanks, auto tranny, cruise control, no a/c, nice normal all-seasons, pimped sound system, -purrfect) doesn't start at the local quickie mart. 5-0 stops by, sez 's'up cliffy?' 'truck don't start, had a small engine fire the other day.' he checks out the bay, then says 'u got any wire?' i look behind the seat ('sooo, that's where i put that baggie last summer', as i hit one of those alky checkpoints.) and find some 14-3. he takes that and a screwdriver, does some magic in the bay, and sez 'try now.' starts right up, and i say 'wait, hold up. i'm from Bport, and im friendly with many of the shade tree mechanics around these parts, yet i've never seen that move. what just happened?' professional secret, he tells me, and sez 'don't stop it till ur home.' i like the po-po.

(pro tip: looking around the 'binge watch' thread last week (never heard of most of those shows) i notice a post by huskyhawk, i think, where he says he's watching sumthin called big timber. big timber? never heard of it, but it has 'timber' in the title, so i hunt around to find it.
the man is a mechanical genius, and does things that will amaze and astound air craft carrier, f-22, and indycar, mechanics.
have sum:
Big Timber all Episodes - YouTube
ur welcome.)

Reaction Score
'When I have money to waste, it'll be on a 67 Shelby.
Have to disagree. 65 was the first, the best year and most valuable..........only 562 sold. Great racing history beating Corvettes and dominating their class.
The other 250 or so they built in 65 were sold as 66's and called "carry over" cars and are more valuable then the other 66's.
But 67's are nice, just bigger and more heavy, and none of them are a waste of money to this point in time anyway.
Not sure how much you follow the history, but 67 was the last year they were made by Shelby, as 68's and later were made by Ford with a license to use Shelby's name.

Reaction Score
My daughter landed her dream job and moved from CT to Louisville . Two weeks later her car was stolen. Welcome to Kentucky.

The police found it during a traffic stop at 4AM , still had the CT plates, 's. The occupants fled, but were later found because they left some mail in the car. x2.

The car was a little beat up, wreaked of cigarette smoke, and there was a stolen hand gun in the glove box.
Did the police allow her to keep the gun as compensation for the damages to her car?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I was a kid and you parked some place where you thought someone might steal your car, you removed the distributor rotor and took it with you. (because a kid would never lose a small piece of plastic and metal on his pocket - lol)

With electronic ignition I guess the next generation had to figure something else out.
I put a kill switch in on a foot switch under the mat. It was convenient but, in retrospect, probably not the safest thing to do in world.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have to disagree. 65 was the first, the best year and most valuable..........only 562 sold. Great racing history beating Corvettes and dominating their class.
The other 250 or so they built in 65 were sold as 66's and called "carry over" cars and are more valuable then the other 66's.
But 67's are nice, just bigger and more heavy, and none of them are a waste of money to this point in time anyway.
Not sure how much you follow the history, but 67 was the last year they were made by Shelby, as 68's and later were made by Ford with a license to use Shelby's name.

I'd want a '66 for birth year reasons. Besides, I was brought home from the hospital in a '66 Mustang. Was always bummed my parents didn't have future-vision to mothball it and save it for me.

Honestly, if I get a classic car at some point, I'm driving it. So I don't want anything too rare or valuable. I am very partial to '68 Cougars. But I'd enjoy almost any old muscle car, especially convertible.

My neighbor has one of these and it sits in his garage, only driven briefly on sunny days. I don't see the point.

Reaction Score
New aftermarket cats are $100-$200.

A new OEM or OEM compliant cat is $700+
Who knew
Hybrid vehicles targeted in catalytic converter thefts ...
Hybrid vehicles targeted in catalytic converter thefts - Admiral
The catalytic converter in hybrid vehicles contains a higher concentration of precious metals and are often less corroded because they mostly run on battery power. And these metals are worth a fortune to thieves. Currently, palladium is even more valuable than gold, and platinum is worth around two thirds the value of gold.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This came a moment ago in an email from my insurance carrier on catalytic converter theft, with some preventative tips. I know it is an after the fact thing. Sorry for your loss.

What is the Catalytic Converter?

The catalytic converter is a device that helps control your vehicle’s emissions, by converting hazardous exhaust to less harmful gasses. It’s part of your exhaust system, and usually located between the engine and your muffler.

Catalytic converters contain precious metals, which thieves can sell to scrap metal recyclers. Are some types of vehicles more susceptible to catalytic converter theft? Hybrid vehicles, trucks and SUVs are popular targets.

Because a hybrid car doesn’t use the gas engine as often, the catalytic converter retains more of its precious metals. Trucks and SUVs can also be targets as it’s easier for thieves to slide underneath the vehicle where the converter is located.

What can I do to help prevent the theft of my catalytic converter?

• If you have a home garage, park your car inside and keep the garage door shut. If you can’t park inside, install motion sensing lights in your driveway. • No home garage? Consider a parking garage or other type of secured parking area.

When garages are not an option, park in locations that are well-lit, highly visible and/or have security cameras, all of which may help dissuade would-be thieves. • If you have a high-riding vehicle (truck, SUV) back into parking spaces near lower profile cars, fences, bushes or other obstacles to make it more difficult to access underneath.

• If you have a car alarm, set it to respond to vibrations.

• Several specialized clamps and shields are now on the market to protect catalytic converters. Talk with a trusted mechanic or dealership to determine if one is right for your vehicle(s)

• Talk to your local body shop about etching your vehicle’s VIN on the catalytic converter. VIN etching can help police identify the owner, aid in a criminal investigation, and alert metal recyclers that the catalytic converter may have been stolen.

Every single owner of a 1970s car with a V-8 would be absolutely thrilled if someone came and stole the catalytic converters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom