My biggest concern | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My biggest concern

Reaction Score
Historically, when we have had dominant teams, our starters would sit most if not all of the 4th quarter. That was also during years where we had 11 to 12 players available.

This year, and more so in the newer competitive landscape of wbb, dominant wins aren’t as dominant. And recently, we don’t have more than 2 players on the bench. It’s just not possible to get players the added rest.

Yes, ines and Amari could each get 10 minutes in non close games, but that really only spells our starters around 4 minutes.

The injuries really killed the transition vibe our season opened with, has skewed the rotations, and has altered team chemistry. Until we are healthy, it’s a survive and advance mentality this season.

It’s absurd that we’ve been decimated with injury but remain a competitive top 5 team. Very few, if any, programs would be able to do that. Look at Baylor, who just dropped from the polls for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Sometimes, when it’s not always going our way, some perspective on the greatness of this program is illuminating.

Reaction Score
you people worry too much ... enjoy the ride, if all are healthy at the end of the season, we have a really really good team :)
Granted there's a lot of hand-wringing on this board, but we can also be overly optimistic too. "oh last year we had bad luck, Wait till this year. Ooops, this year we're having bad luck too. Wait till the end of the season." The fact remains that Geno has assembled a group of players many of whom are unfortunately prone to injury. It could be their physical constitution, how hard they play, how long they've played, etc. Contrast Paige with Aaliyah. Paige will enter her senior season having played only one and a half seasons. I hate to say it, but it's entirely possible that next year (or the end of this year) may be no different.

The one who really worries me is Caroline. Although they didn't acknowledge the first one, this last concussion may have been her second. Effects of multiple concussions are cumulative. I wouldn't be surprised if her next concussion is her last and she leaves basketball.

I really hope I'm wrong. I'll probably get slammed as a Debbie Downer.

Reaction Score
I welcome comments on what I'm going to write here. I realize that Geno is a great coach with an outstanding record.
What I have never understood, however, is why Geno plays his starters almost the entire game. Not just when the roster is depleted, as we have currently, but regularly for years.
IMO here's why-- as an example-

Continue to give Nika and Aubrey minutes to keep working on their shot. They are super Defenders. Imagine if one or both can become more effective with perimeter scoring (actually Nika shoots pretty well. Give her minutes and keep encouraging she can maybe begin to take a few more. It is inevitable UCONN will need her to score a bit in some games>).

Keep giving Lou minutes to work on her passing and her team defense.

Keep giving Dorka minutes so she can be more ready vs the top flight frontlines of opposing teams. For example, she could use some work in the low post finishing strong around the basket. They can work on these things in a blowout, can't they?

Reaction Score
Perhaps the idea of allowing more time for substitutes has other values besides conditioning and resting starters. It gives another look offensively and defensively. I realize that during a game one sometimes is in another’s position for a few moment’s. I am suggesting swapping positions as their main responsibility to gain versatility and provide a different look to the opponent. Example, Ines at point guard, Muhl SG, Amari at and Griffin the inside bigs, Alliayah and Lou on the wings. Muhl gets to shoot more and create her shot. Alliayah sees game from another view, Aubry uses her strength, hops and shots 8-12 footer. Amari gets game time with Aubrey’s quickness to help on D. Ines time running the show as PG. Lou plays as usual. One example. Take it easy, you give these looks when the team is up by 18+. I’ve been a fan since the pre Geno days. He used to do some kooky things to improve his teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Granted there's a lot of hand-wringing on this board, but we can also be overly optimistic too. "oh last year we had bad luck, Wait till this year. Ooops, this year we're having bad luck too. Wait till the end of the season." The fact remains that Geno has assembled a group of players many of whom are unfortunately prone to injury. It could be their physical constitution, how hard they play, how long they've played, etc. Contrast Paige with Aaliyah. Paige will enter her senior season having played only one and a half seasons. I hate to say it, but it's entirely possible that next year (or the end of this year) may be no different.

The one who really worries me is Caroline. Although they didn't acknowledge the first one, this last concussion may have been her second. Effects of multiple concussions are cumulative. I wouldn't be surprised if her next concussion is her last and she leaves basketball.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I welcome comments on what I'm going to write here. I realize that Geno is a great coach with an outstanding record.
What I have never understood, however, is why Geno plays his starters almost the entire game. Not just when the roster is depleted, as we have currently, but regularly for years. I realize that he reportedly views playing time as a reward for quality of practice. However, that strategy also runs the risk of needless injuries to the starters in a game than would be the case if he would allow the bench players to play the last quarter of the game unless we are in a very close, competitive game. Even so, could the bench players not play at least seven or eight minutes of a game? I realize that a lot of our recent injuries didn't occur during a game, but would it not be a good idea to let the bench play for the last quarter, especially if the game isn't close at all. Last year I seem to recall our being ahead by around 35 points, yet one of the bench payers didn't get into the game until the fourth quarter 1:38 mark. Just letting the bench play the fourth quarter if possible would certainly reduce by 25% the likelihood of a starter getting injured needlessly with a huge lead.
Also, in a non-competitive game, given our long list of injuries, should our players be diving for loose balls? Is the risk worth it in a setting like that? In a playoff game, by all means dive, and always wear protective devices on their knees.
i am drawing from what Coach has said over the years..
He is aspiring to reach a certain level of perfection in every game, irrespective of the score and how far we are ahead. He plays the players who have demonstrated in practice that they can do that. His expectations vary by player. So if a player can meet his expectations (for them), they get a chance to play.
As many have observed, practice is often harder than the games. So, in principle, players should be able to play 40 minutes. The “tiredness” you see is often more mental than physical. An alert mind knows to play within the limits of the body. Diving for a loose ball when it does not matter is unnecessary risk taking.
In summary, I believe you get to play when you are ready. When you do play, it should be with intent, intensity, and intelligence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My biggest concern would probably be a international instability, being a catalyst for a potential conflict of the major powers, followed closely by hair loss.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My biggest concern is getting Azzi Caroline and Patterson some playtime before the Tenn game.

Tony

Sorry...
I'm taking a much more philosophical position than worrying about the next few games...no matter how seemingly vital. I know, I know, you certainly want to be up for UTenn; sorry...might not happen

It's all together possible that Caroline and Azzi will not be ready to go for a while...and when they are cleared, the medical staff will have to figure out some means of protecting them; both Caroline's head and Azzi's knee are vulnerable...A way has to be found that a small bump doesn't turn into additional issues and downtime or worse.

And so what's left (having no idea about Amari) is a snappy, talented group with no reserves to speak of....pretty tough against top ranked teams.

As you can recall from the other afternoon, those other teams are learning how to play against them...be Uber-physical inside and don't give Lou any easy looks...its not rocket science.

A completely healthy and confident Caroline and Azzi and a healthy Amari, turns this collection of walking wounded into a potential final-4 or better assemblage.

Be patient, let the staff do its job...Remember, its March that counts.

Reaction Score

I think many, if not most, have that same concern. It just isn't expressed on the site.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is getting Azzi Caroline and Patterson some playtime before the Tenn game. We have in the past gotten some southern home cookin at Tenn. We are going to need a bench as precautionary. Tenn is a tuff place to play. I remember in the Strother Turner days we lost by a few points and Tenn went to the line somethin like 41-10. Im always concerned playin at Tenn. We need all hands on deck even if its for a few minutes which means we need to get Caroline and Patterson some minutes against Seton Hall and Butler to get ready for Tenn. Those of you who werent around in the ole days may not understand. Those of you who were may understand.

Reaction Score
Based on her recent play, giving Patterson more time to watch and learn may be best.
Tennessee game is only 8 days away. I am not counting on Azzi or Caroline or Ayanna tbh. Are they even practicing? If we lose we lose. My attitude is get thru the next 6 games (SC) and then try to put the team back together for February and March.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern is Lou. She's been getting banged around pretty good. Kara Wolters said as much. She's likely playing a larger role and with more minutes than she ever could have imagined. Everybody has contributed, especially Edwards who has been a beast. I get that. Still, I just have this feeling she's the one player we can least afford to be without. With Azzi on the bench, Lou is enduring that much more pressure from the defense, physically and of course emotionally as well. She seems to be handling it well so far, but I hold my breath every time she hits the floor or grabs a body part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom