My appreciation to you guys | The Boneyard

My appreciation to you guys

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It sure sucks losing - so disappointing, but we are so incredibly lucky to be UCONN fans and to be on this amazing ride with the amazing coach, staff, this team, and all our past teams. Go UCONN!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I stayed away from the board during the game and was apprehensive about peeking in when the game was over.

But for the most part, posters handled the loss with maturity and graciousness. There were a few exceptions, but happily only that: exceptions. Most Boneyarders rose to the occasion and reflected the same class and composure that Geno has exhibited since that final buzzer, and which has been the hallmark of UConn women's basketball.

I only joined the board in February of last year, and so this was my first loss to experience as a BY'er. Happier than ever to call this my online WBB home.

Reaction Score
Se
Thanks for not melting down the board. With the exception of a few drive-by trolls (adios to them) people were pretty restrained. Kudos to all!

Send us some gold stars Nan.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly Nan losing isn't the worst thing that can happen to a team. The last OT loss this team incurred was actually the best thing for it. It isn't a bad thing for us fans either. As Geno has said many times over the course of the year winning had become this enormous wave, but even the biggest wave ultimately crashes on the shore. I think some of us fans had perhaps forgotten that fact, that nothing is forever. Some of us had perhaps become a bit expectant and spoiled. UConn is model for excellence. We should always be magnanimous and gracious. I mean 11 championships for cryin' out loud. As for me I'm going to watch every minute of the championship game, and I'm going to cheer like mad for Dawn and that group of fans to win their first championship. But if Schaefer wins with that fine group of young ladies, heck, I ain't mad at them.

Reaction Score
I think if UConn had lost last year in the Final Four, there would have been seismic waves because of the players we had and the experience they all had. This team started the year with so little expectations (for a typical UConn team) and when they won and won and continued winning, we all felt blessed. It was obvious that the team was off, from the beginning and after a shocking run by Mississippi State, the Huskies showed a lot of fortitude and got themselves back in the game but they never clicked on all 8 cylinders and still had a chance to win the game with 12 seconds left in overtime. They won games early that no one would have ever thought they'd win so we were always playing with house money and we finally got busted. I was out at a club so I didn't hear the commentary but it seemed that Geno and the team handled the loss with an amazing amount of class and that speaks well for everyone connected with this team.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks for not melting down the board. With the exception of a few drive-by trolls (adios to them) people were pretty restrained. Kudos to all!

First off, let me once again commend you as others have done on your latest avatar :)

Second, this whole year was a bit surreal and I think it was pretty easy to see that this group's performance throughout the year went well beyond any "stretch goals" that most people - and including Geno - could have imagined for them in October. As a result, it was to me clearly a glass-half-full situation overall, even with the difficult and Uber-dramatic loss at the end. In which they fought back like warriors, by the way.

Had we lost last year with Stewie, Morgan and Mo I would have reacted differently because last year's squad was truly Great with a capital G. This year's squad was very very good but it can still be said they overachieved. Losses must be put in context. It could reasonably be said that these guys have more to be proud of than last year's NC winners. They improved that much and gave that much of themselves. Just amazing really.

So so proud of what they did this year.

Oh, and Geno is wrong when he says the streak is not theirs. Or at least, he misleads. They did their part. The 36 games Geno talked about as theirs, well, those games are tacked on to the end and they own a nice chunk of the 111. The streak as finalized (immortalized?) is jointly owned by many. These guys didn't ask for the extra noise and pressure of the streak all season long but by God, they stood up to it. For all they did, this will always be a memorable group.

Reaction Score
Most regulars knew the thin line the team was treading even with early NCAA (and in season) blowouts. We saw the times they struggled too. We knew it would take just a game with a little of this and some of that and ... well it happened. This part of the season is one and done. Most other teams are also done. Only one team finishes with a win. UConn has had more than its share of these.

It was a funnn season. Mostly, the team was excellent...often even better. People here understand how hard they worked and how close they came and how much they wanted to win. It just took a bounce here, a whistle there, a rebound, a FT. That's basketball at a competitive level. Next time.

(After the analysis...) how can we be anything but be proud of them all, thank them for all they did, and look forward to the future. Neither UConn nor these girls are done yet...no whining here. Life continues...

Oh, and again, hats off to the Bulldogs every one.

Reaction Score

No reason for a meltdown. MSU played a smart, effective game, and seemed to rattle a young, mostly inexperienced in HUGE games, team. This year's UConn team exceeded all expectations, and went much farther than most, including Geno, thought they could. Final Four: not bad for a "rebuilding" year!

Reaction Score
First off, let me once again commend you as others have done on your latest avatar :)

Second, this whole year was a bit surreal and I think it was pretty easy to see that this group's performance throughout the year went well beyond any "stretch goals" that most people - and including Geno - could have imagined for them in October. As a result, it was to me clearly a glass-half-full situation overall, even with the difficult and Uber-dramatic loss at the end. In which they fought back like warriors, by the way.

Had we lost last year with Stewie, Morgan and Mo I would have reacted differently because last year's squad was truly Great with a capital G. This year's squad was very very good but it can still be said they overachieved. Losses must be put in context. It could reasonably be said that these guys have more to be proud of than last year's NC winners. They improved that much and gave that much of themselves. Just amazing really.

So so proud of what they did this year.

Oh, and Geno is wrong when he says the streak is not theirs. Or at least, he misleads. They did their part. The 36 games Geno talked about as theirs, well, those games are tacked on to the end and they own a nice chunk of the 111. The streak as finalized (immortalized?) is jointly owned by many. These guys didn't ask for the extra noise and pressure of the streak all season long but by God, they stood up to it. For all they did, this will always be a memorable group.

Triple like!

Reaction Score
Thanks Nan for keeping us reigned in..lol. I was a lurker for a long time but have been posting more lately.

I wasn't that upset by the loss. I knew they over achieved this season. I'm more sad for them than I am for the fanbase. As I said in another post, I'd like to see this loss ignite in them a killer instinct reminiscent of the 2002 team. If that happens look out!

Reaction Score
"Tonight it caught up to us."

That was Coach Geno talking about his team, which he said played "over their years" for the entire season. We all thought going in that UConn would lose several games, might be lucky to make it to the Final Four. Even Coach Geno expressed continuous surprise. The undefeated season and the easy victory in the Elite Eight over Oregon, which itself had knocked off three major threats to UConn, lulled us into believing that they were invincible.

Mississippi State brought us back to earth. These ladies played over their heads (in Gabby's case, over everyone else's heads!) all season. They were wonderful, and played their hearts out. But sometimes that's just not enough.

But it was a heckuva ride!!! Thanks for the memories!!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

You may have posted this message too soon, Nan. "...The Short Layoff..." thread is beginning to take on the aroma of three day old rotting fish. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I was almost afraid to come to the Boneyard after the game , i thought there was to be a ton of negativity , i'm glad i was wrong , Thanks Boneyarders!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom