My “Shake it up” proposals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My “Shake it up” proposals

Reaction Score
Still think the best (only) way to solve the dribble penetration is to have Samson/Sanogo and Clingan/Karaban be the defensive rotation. One of Samson and Clingan have to be on the court at the same time if our guards are going to continue getting beat. We need Samson to come back, like now.

Reaction Score
All for going super big if we use a 2-3. That just seems like a more dramatic shift in philosophy than not being so aggressive and overplaying on the perimeter, which I think diarra and Clingan would help most with.
I’d do 3-2, with AJ at the top of the key, DC and Adama low. Let DC go for every block and Adama for every rebound.

Reaction Score
Problem statement(s):

Lack of dribble penetration offensively and on ball defense are the primary issues.

Three point shooting is suffering as a result of lack of dribble penetration. Teams are overplaying on the third level.

Lack of on ball defensive exposes a weakness of Adama on that end, he’s not a rim protector.

Solutions:

Move Diarra to the starting lineup, his handle and defense address both primary issues.

Move Newton to the 2, Hawkins to the 3, AJ to the 4. This gets us smaller at every position which should help us close the quickness gap at both ends. Yes, this demotes AK. But I’m okay sending more shooting to later in the rotation because…

Start Donavan. The rim protection will help cure ills defensively and offensively even if teams pack it down low there’s still enough offensive weapons on the perimeter in Hawk, Newt (assuming moving him off ball helps fix him) and AJ.

Adama now plays his first 5 minutes with AK and JC + lineup dependent decisions. He’s playing against tired or bench bigs which can help get him going earlier. He’ll have spacing.

From there it’s game feel on which lineup is having more success.

Conclusion:

Defense improves in first 5 which is helpful in hostile environments.

Quickness improves which helps on both ends on what is currently being exploited.

Challenges:

“Benching” the pre-season POY is probably unpopular.
I like most of it except moving Diarra the the 1. IMO from what we have seen he has zero skills at completing a drive for a score. I like the other parts of your proposal.

Reaction Score
Problem statement(s):

Lack of dribble penetration offensively and on ball defense are the primary issues.

Three point shooting is suffering as a result of lack of dribble penetration. Teams are overplaying on the third level.

Lack of on ball defensive exposes a weakness of Adama on that end, he’s not a rim protector.

Solutions:

Move Diarra to the starting lineup, his handle and defense address both primary issues.

Move Newton to the 2, Hawkins to the 3, AJ to the 4. This gets us smaller at every position which should help us close the quickness gap at both ends. Yes, this demotes AK. But I’m okay sending more shooting to later in the rotation because…

Start Donavan. The rim protection will help cure ills defensively and offensively even if teams pack it down low there’s still enough offensive weapons on the perimeter in Hawk, Newt (assuming moving him off ball helps fix him) and AJ.

Adama now plays his first 5 minutes with AK and JC + lineup dependent decisions. He’s playing against tired or bench bigs which can help get him going earlier. He’ll have spacing.

From there it’s game feel on which lineup is having more success.

Conclusion:

Defense improves in first 5 which is helpful in hostile environments.

Quickness improves which helps on both ends on what is currently being exploited.

Challenges:

“Benching” the pre-season POY is probably unpopular.
Here is dilemma.

You start Diarra, move Newton to 2. That takes Karaban out who is a good offensive player.

Jackson isn’t a good shooter and can’t score. SoC you have 2 non-scorers out there. And then Newton and Hawkins with the center.

Not enough offense.

Reaction Score
Still think the best (only) way to solve the dribble penetration is to have Samson/Sanogo and Clingan/Karaban be the defensive rotation. One of Samson and Clingan have to be on the court at the same time if our guards are going to continue getting beat. We need Samson to come back, like now.
I actually agree here. I love the Clingan Karaban paring offensively and defensively.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think a little more bench time for Karaban might be in order.

Defensively, he’s not very good yet and he taking more shots than Sanogo fairly often.

Neither one of those things is desirable - those 30+ minute games are a little expensive.

Reaction Score
I think a little more bench time for Karaban might be in order.

Defensively, he’s not very good yet and he taking more shots than Sanogo fairly often.

Neither one of those things is desirable - those 30+ minute games are a little expensive.
I do think the number of minutes could negatively affect him over time, and certain players (Hopkins, Kaluma) are tough for him defensively. I certainly don’t mind the number of shots he is taking, though. He’s shooting 37% from 3, 66% from 2, and 82% on free throws. He’s taking 17% of shots when he’s on the floor, compared to 31% for Sanogo and 28% for Hawkins.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I like the idea of starting HD and Samson. We need help defensively more than anything. Bring the AK/DC combo off the bench together. Newton needs to come off the bench until he gets his act together.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of starting HD and Samson. We need help defensively more than anything. Bring the AK/DC combo off the bench together. Newton needs to come off the bench until he gets his act together.
Our D has been terrible but so has our offense. I thought we we were supposed to have shotmakers this year but our shooting splits in BE play are worse than last year.

Reaction Score
Our best passers are Karaban, Calcaterra, Clingan, Ajax and probably Hawkins. I'd like to see them on the court together for more than 1 game to see if they can work together. Sub Sanogo for either Clingan or Karaban. Our guard situation is a mess after that but bring in Newton first. I just think good passers playing together help each other exponentially. Give it a shot and throw some zone against certain teams.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don’t know what to do but I really think we need a shake up in the backcourt. Can’t guard anyone and the beautiful ball movement we had in Portland is gone.

Reaction Score
That should have happened against St. John’s.
I think this is it.

Offensively it almost doesn't matter what changes we make unless one of Newton/Diarra becomes the BE caliber PG we need them to be and we hit some open shots. Until then, going big or staying with our lineup isn't going to matter at all. We can't get to the rim at all, can't create our own shots and Danny's sets have been completely figured out. It's a personnel issue.

On defense I think there's some hope. Switch to zone sometimes to prevent the lay up lines, and hope that it triggers your fast break a bit. DC is a good enough rebounder to cover up that flaw in the zone, and we have a bunch of length.

Reaction Score
Im gonna go with a crazy proposal

Back to the starting lineup we used to open the PK

Newton - Alleyne - Hawkins - Karaban - Sanogo

I believe Alleyne playing with the starters may unlock him a bit. Next to Diarra he has to force shots and it just doesnt work.

Then you have Clingan - Andre - Joey - Diarra off the bench. That is all energy and chaos. Loved the feel of Andre off the bench and it just feels like it injects change to the starters and the bench

Alleyne has done nothing and I mean NOTHING to warrant starting. I get trying something new, but if I was his teammate and I saw him starting I'd be pissed.

Reaction Score
Starting with AJax on the bench isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard. It will at least keep him from picking up 2 fouls in the first 2 minutes. Also gives him the chance to see how tight the refs are calling things. Then bring him in with Joey C and Clingan and keep rolling
AJ would make the ultimate team sacrifice. Not sure it will happen though.

Makes me wonder, has there ever been a noteworthy Captain of a team 'demoted' to the bench (any sport)?

Reaction Score
Alleyne has done nothing and I mean NOTHING to warrant starting. I get trying something new, but if I was his teammate and I saw him starting I'd be pissed.
Couldn't agree more. He has done nothing to deserve minutes, let alone starting. Playing him more will only serve to decrease our ball movement and increase our stupid overly aggressive perimeter defense

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Samson was practicing on 3rd team, wight Hurleys kid at donor practices preseason. Dont look for him to be a BigEast defensive rotation stalwart.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Samson started game 1 before he got hurt. I'd expect him to be part of the rotation

He will get some minutes. Especially now while we are flailing like turtle on its back, but not as many as you think.

Oh and by the way:

wedding-crashers-make-me-a-bicycle-clown.gif

Reaction Score
You gonna challenge me to HS hoops level now? I love when you do that, Al Bundy.
What's your issue with me? It was a rebuddle to what someone else said about not playing organized basketball why are you getting involved?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom