MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's ok. You can take the L nobody will think less of you and we'll all credit you as being the number 2 husky fan (behind waquoit) for being pumped for Stonehill.
LOL at you telling someone to take the L.

pj

Reaction Score
Not missing the point. Apparently not as woke as you on this. It's not UConn's job to further the college experience of young men from other colleges.

I'm in agreement that other things equal, I'd prefer playing Connecticut or New England - New York colleges than a Mississippi college, and I'd prefer playing a stronger team than a weaker team.

But, we don't know the other aspects that may be driving this. Maybe MVSU is a cheaper buy game than other schools and UConn is scrounging for money. Maybe the HBCU games are an aid to recruiting. Who knows what is driving this.

Regardless, they are giving us a championship team and basketball that is a joy to watch. They've earned the right to schedule as they please.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the school makes from MTE's, Jimmy V classic and OOC games like the Gonzaga series? Do we actually make more money than we would just doing a H/H or is it more about getting more eye balls on our brand?
Both. Big money makers and good exposure. Great for the fans who watch from home, not so much for season ticket holders…

Reaction Score
Both. Big money makers and good exposure. Great for the fans who watch from home, not so much for season ticket holders…
But like, what is the difference in money for a regular home game, and the Jimmy V classic. Thats what I want to know. Just curious is all, all of these contracts must be public via a FOIA, id assume someone has asked for them at some point.

Reaction Score
I had UNC at XL circled on my season ticket calendar in 2005 and we were in a better conference then than we are now.
John

How dare you, Sir. Are you actually saying the Big East of 2005 was superior to the current version? Did you miss that we now have Butler?

Reaction Score
John

How dare you, Sir. Are you actually saying the Big East of 2005 was superior to the current version? Did you miss that we now have Butler?
I like the current conference because it's a northeastern basketball conference
New_Big_East_Locations.png

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
But like, what is the difference in money for a regular home game, and the Jimmy V classic. Thats what I want to know. Just curious is all, all of these contracts must be public via a FOIA, id assume someone has asked for them at some point.
I would like to see the numbers specific to UConn, and I’m sure it could be obtained by a FOIA request,

But as a reference, back in 2016 the Champions Classic and CBS Sports Classic was paying its participants $300K each, per year, for appearing in the event. Plus an allotment of tickets to sell to their fans. That was 7 years ago…

Bringing in a P5 opponent usually comes with a home and home where smaller sums (maybe $50K) are exchanged by the schools when they host the other to cover travel / secure the game. Obviously, we get ticket revenue from the home game. But not the away game.

Doing a 2 neutral site game series with Gonzaga means we get paid a ton of money for both the “away” game in Seattle as well as the return game at MSG.

I know you asked about the Jimmy V, but the same logic applies… Both teams profit from neutral site games, which is why they are becoming the popular option for the “made for TV” non-conference games.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I would like to see the numbers specific to UConn, and I’m sure it could be obtained by a FOIA request,

But as a reference, back in 2016 the Champions Classic and CBS Sports Classic was paying its participants $300K each, per year, for appearing in the event. Plus an allotment of tickets to sell to their fans. That was 7 years ago…

Bringing in a P5 opponent usually comes with a home and home where smaller sums (maybe $50K) are exchanged by the schools when they host the other to cover travel / secure the game. Obviously, we get ticket revenue from the home game. But not the away game.

Doing a 2 neutral site game series with Gonzaga means we get paid a ton of money for both the “away” game in Seattle as well as the return game at MSG.

Both teams profit from neutral site games, which is why they are becoming the popular option for the “made for TV” non-conference games.
Yeah that’s fine and all good, but don’t raise season ticket prices and give us Mississippi Valley St and Long Island University.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
we
Yeah that’s fine and all good, but don’t raise season ticket prices and give us Mississippi Valley St and Long Island University.
I agree with you 100%. They should be able to balance a neutral site schedule without giving us only bottom feeders on the OOC home slate.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I won't argue with that for a second but please explain how turning down an opportunity (if it materializes) to increase revenues up to eight fold factors into the demand to not raise ticket prices.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I won't argue with that for a second but please explain how turning down an opportunity (if it materializes) to increase revenues up to eight fold factors into the demand to not raise ticket prices.
Don’t turn down the opportunity that’s simple. But when you have to choose between scheduling MVSU and a home/home with Cal, Arizona, Texas, etc. don’t choose MVSU.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Don’t turn down the opportunity that’s simple. But when you have to choose between scheduling MVSU and a home/home with Cal, Arizona, Texas, etc. don’t choose MVSU.
1 P5 program per year should be the goal. And it’s okay to have some a cupcakes before the MTE over Thanksgiving. But I wish they would also add 1 or 2 true mid majors to the home schedule in December instead of just booking 300+ NET teams.

Give me Temple, Saint Louis, Richmond, UMass, Harvard, Yale, Vermont, Boston College, Belmont, Drake, UNI, Charleston, FAU, etc.

Reaction Score
1 P5 program per year should be the goal. And it’s okay to have some a cupcakes before the MTE over Thanksgiving. But I wish they would also add 1 or 2 true mid majors to the home schedule in December instead of just booking 300+ NET teams.

Give me Temple, Saint Louis, Richmond, UMass, Harvard, Yale, Vermont, Boston College, Belmont, Drake, UNI, Charleston, FAU, etc.
A+

Reaction Score
ESPN shows we are playing Northern Arizona as our season opener on 11/6.

1692230025153.png

Reaction Score
ESPN shows we are playing Northern Arizona as our season opener on 11/6.

View attachment 90726
Yup. NAU released their schedule yesterday and UConn was on it. In this thread.

caw

Reaction Score
So six unknown games still?

NAU - home
MVSU - home
Kansas - @ Kansas
UNC - Jimmy V Classic
Indiana - Empire Classic
Texas/UL - Empire Classic
Gonzaga - Seattle

Reaction Score
So six unknown games still?