MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule

Reaction Score
The 1 big name opponent is a big deal though - you can't gloss over it- on top of exorbitant ticket price increases. I looked it up as far as basketball reference had the season game logs:

24 - 0 (home power conf games)
23 - Oklahoma State
22 - 0
21 - 0
20 - Florida
19 - Arizona
18 - Villanova
17 - Auburn
16 - Ohio State and Georgetown
15 - Texas
14 - Florida and Stanford
13 - Washington
12 - Arkansas
11 - Tennessee
And what I'm seeing there is not an issue. Counting the 2021 Covid season is disingenuous at best. So 2 of the last 13 seasons with fans had no big OOC home games, just reiterates how I felt before that the constant whining from fans looks dumb

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And what I'm seeing there is not an issue. Counting the 2021 Covid season is disingenuous at best. So 2 of the last 13 seasons with fans had no big OOC home games, just reiterates how I felt before that the constant whining from fans looks dumb

It may not be an issue to you but it obviously is to other people.

You said UConn has continually scheduled this way - that was wrong - it's only been recently. When 3 of the last 4 seasons we've had no power conference opponents (or 2 of the last 3 if you throw COVID out), when in the 10 seasons previous to that we had at minimum 1 power conference opponent each season, with 2 seasons having 2 power conference opponents.

So for you to then say well it's only been 2 of the last 13 years is actually kind of nonsense because it ignores it's a recent trend, which was my entire point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately not everyone is as amazing and incredible a fan as you and people place higher value on games where UConn plays a brand name opponent.
Maybe not everyone but plenty of others are like me. Season ticket sales are through the roof even with a big price increase.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Maybe not everyone but plenty of others are like me. Season ticket sales are through the roof even with a big price increase.

Price gouge your most loyal fans and in turn give them lesser value for their support. Sound strategy.

People just are asking for 1 decent ooc opponent and/or to not schedule the absolute worst teams in all of division 1 basketball.

Hurley, the staff and AD Dave have pretty much earned the right to do whatever they want, but on this matter I think if they altered the approach ever so slightly and it would make a big difference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I’m still pissed and want one good OOC home game.
I want better games, too. I just laugh at how some folks are so quick to rag on stuff that really doesn't concern them.

Reaction Score
It may not be an issue to you but it obviously is to other people.

You said UConn has continually scheduled this way - that was wrong - it's only been recently. When 3 of the last 4 seasons we've had no power conference opponents (or 2 of the last 3 if you throw COVID out), when in the 10 seasons previous to that we had at minimum 1 power conference opponent each season, with 2 seasons having 2 power conference opponents.

So for you to then say well it's only been 2 of the last 13 years is actually kind of nonsense because it ignores it's a recent trend, which was my entire point.
No, UConn has continually scheduled this way, and the chart you posted shows that. I just wholeheartedly disagree with this idea there's a trend of not scheduling big OOC home games when we literally had one last season. When you're using a ridiculously small sample of 2 or 3 years it's easy to spin it to fit any narrative you want

Reaction Score
I get why UConn schedules the way it does (low majors at home and power teams neutral) for NET, but the 2019-2020 season was the only time UConn has gotten a major H/H (with Florida) under Hurley. Tickets are expensive. I don’t think it would be unreasonable to get us one high level home OOC a year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Price gouge your most loyal fans and in turn give them lesser value for their support. Sound strategy.
Calling the UConn AD "price gougers" for trying to reduce the deficit tells me you've lost the plot.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
My guess is because the schedule hasn’t been released, Hurley is trying to get a home and home vs a P5. Getting home and home series is so tough now though because every coach would rather play a neutral site game.

Miami or Arkansas would be fun…

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No, UConn has continually scheduled this way, and the chart you posted shows that. I just wholeheartedly disagree with this idea there's a trend of not scheduling big OOC home games when we literally had one last season. When you're using a ridiculously small sample of 2 or 3 years it's easy to spin it to fit any narrative you want

It's ok. You can take the L nobody will think less of you and we'll all credit you as being the number 2 husky fan (behind waquoit) for being pumped for Stonehill.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Oklahoma State was part of a conference deal. UConn shouldn’t get credit for that, it’s not like they went out and decided to do that game as a series.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My guess is because the schedule hasn’t been released, Hurley is trying to get a home and home vs a P5. Getting home and home series is so tough now though because every coach would rather play a neutral site game.

Miami or Arkansas would be fun…

I’d love that but given how strong the schedule is, I’d be shocked. It’s a loaded schedule- unfortunately, none of the big games are in CT.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what the school makes from MTE's, Jimmy V classic and OOC games like the Gonzaga series? Do we actually make more money than we would just doing a H/H or is it more about getting more eye balls on our brand?

Reaction Score
From my point, the way scheduling has been done I don't even need a P5 team at this point. Give me Hofstra or Fordham over LIU and I'll be happy. Harvard over BU. Just bump it up a little bit -- but P5 home game obviously would be really nice as well.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Season ticket holders go to watch UConn.
I've been told they go to watch Providence and our other BE conference members.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I've been told they go to watch Providence and our other BE conference members.

Thats correct too. More than UCF, BYU, Texas Tech, TCU..... and jesus we couldn't get away from Cincinnati fast enough. There is not one team in B12 other than Kansas that UConn fans will get more excited for at home than Villanova, Creighton, Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown (actually let's stop there for a second, remember the Georgetown game last year, the JoeyC special? with the bottom dwelling team coming in who hadnt won a BigEast game in oh, what, like eleventy years?) Gampel was lit. You want to sit here with a straight face and tell me in the Big12 in the same hypothetical that an 0-30 league UCF team will come in here and elicit the same reaction? You're jumping the shark now with this crap.

Reaction Score
Thats correct too. More than UCF, BYU, Texas Tech, TCU..... and we couldn't get away from Cincinnati fast enough. There is not one team in B12 other than Kansas that UConn fans will get more excited for at home than Villanova, Creighton, Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown (actually let's stop there for a second, remember the Georgetown game last year, the JoeyC special? with the bottom dwelling team coming in who hadnt won a BigEast game in oh, what, like eleventy years?) Gampel was lit. You want to sit here with a straight face and tell me in the Big12 in the same hypothetical that an 0-30 league UCF team will come in here and elicit the same reaction? You're jumping the shark now with this crap.
Villanova and Providence are the only 2 for me. I'll be more excited for all the B12 teams over the rest. Maybe I'll feel differently about St John's after this year with Pitino and a good team, everyone else is irrelevant. When they're good it's a fun game, when they suck it's not. So from that standpoint they're no different from any of the B12 teams we'd play for me

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thats correct too. More than UCF, BYU, Texas Tech, TCU..... and we couldn't get away from Cincinnati fast enough. There is not one team in B12 other than Kansas that UConn fans will get more excited for at home than Villanova, Creighton, Providence, St Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown (actually let's stop there for a second, remember the Georgetown game last year, the JoeyC special? with the bottom dwelling team coming in who hadnt won a BigEast game in oh, what, like eleventy years?) Gampel was lit. You want to sit here with a straight face and tell me in the Big12 in the same hypothetical that an 0-30 league UCF team will come in here and elicit the same reaction? You're jumping the shark now with this crap.
Actually it is you who is jumping the shark.

Do you really believe that the Joey C special (as you called it) was special because it was against Georgetown? It was special because at that point we were unbeaten, had looked like the best team in the country up until tipoff of that game (which was a bit beyond our expectations going into the season) and spent the first half soiling the bed against a subpar opponent.

If that same thing had happened post Phil Knight invitational & BE-B12 challenge against Buffalo or BU the crowd would have reacted exactly as they did against Georgetown.

Reaction Score
The 1 big name opponent is a big deal though - you can't gloss over it- on top of exorbitant ticket price increases. I looked it up as far as basketball reference had the season game logs:

24 - 0 (home power conf games)
23 - Oklahoma State
22 - 0
21 - 0
20 - Florida
19 - Arizona
18 - Villanova
17 - Auburn
16 - Ohio State and Georgetown
15 - Texas
14 - Florida and Stanford
13 - Washington
12 - Arkansas
11 - Tennessee
You need to remember the crappy conference we were in from 2013 - 2020. This forced us to upgrade our non league schedule.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You need to remember the crappy conference we were in from 2013 - 2020. This forced us to upgrade our non league schedule.

We've always had at least 1 power conference opponent though regardless of the pre ACC raid BE, 16 team BE, AAC, etc. I went back through the schedules all the way to 1999 and between 1999 and 2020 we didn't play a power conference team at home in only 1 season (2003). Then from 2021-2024 we've played/scheduled to play one such game. Hopefully this satisfies @navery12 sample size requirements.

2010 - Texas
2009 - Michigan
2008 - Georgia Tech
2007 - Ole Miss and Indiana
2006 - LSU
2005 - Indiana and North Carolina (wow)
2004 - Oklahoma
2003 - None
2002 - Vanderbilt, Oklahoma and North Carolina
2001 - Arizona
2000 - Texas
1999 - Michigan State

Reaction Score
We've always had at least 1 power conference opponent though regardless of the pre ACC raid BE, 16 team BE, AAC, etc. I went back through the schedules all the way to 1999 and between 1999 and 2020 we didn't play a power conference team at home in only 1 season (2003). Then from 2021-2024 we've played/scheduled to play one such game. Hopefully this satisfies @navery12 sample size requirements.

2010 - Texas
2009 - Michigan
2008 - Georgia Tech
2007 - Ole Miss and Indiana
2006 - LSU
2005 - Indiana and North Carolina (wow)
2004 - Oklahoma
2003 - None
2002 - Vanderbilt, Oklahoma and North Carolina
2001 - Arizona
2000 - Texas
1999 - Michigan State
We're agreeing, all I'm saying is I don't think 1 big OOC game last year and none this year is a sign of some huge change in trend. We've always scheduled 1 big OOC game per year, and should continue to do so. If we go 4 or 5 years in a row, that's a shame. If we don't have 1 this year and are back to it next year then I think everyone's whining looks dumb

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We're agreeing, all I'm saying is I don't think 1 big OOC game last year and none this year is a sign of some huge change in trend. We've always scheduled 1 big OOC game per year, and should continue to do so. If we go 4 or 5 years in a row, that's a shame. If we don't have 1 this year and are back to it next year then I think everyone's whining looks dumb

Fair - and to be clear - I'm no longer a season ticket holder (and actually the msg games are super convenient to me) but the season ticket holders that go to the games and support the program are the most important fans. Not that my whining does anything but feels like they are getting a raw deal.

Reaction Score
I had UNC at XL circled on my season ticket calendar in 2005 and we were in a better conference then than we are now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom