MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule | The Boneyard

MVSU added to Non-Con Schedule

Reaction Score
Continuing the HBCU buy games. If you're going to play a Q4 game, I guess it might as well do some good off the court.

What games do we have dates for now?
MVSU on 11/14
Empire Classic on 11/19 and 11/20
Kansas on 12/1
Jimmy V Classic on 12/5

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Continuing the HBCU buy games. If you're going to play a Q4 game, I guess it might as well do some good off the court.

MVSU on 11/14
Kansas on 12/1
Yeah, I agree with this. If we're going to play teams in the 250-350 range, I don't mind it being HBCUs rather than the Merrimacks and Sacred Hearts of the world.

I would prefer to see more games in the 100-200 range, better for NET and better preparation for good competition.

Reaction Score
Season ticket holders must be pumped.
Still waiting to hear what big name we have coming to Gampel or the XL for the regular season...will not be pleased if we have none after spending well over $1500 on season tickets this upcoming year.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree with this. If we're going to play teams in the 250-350 range, I don't mind it being HBCUs rather than the Merrimacks and Sacred Hearts of the world.

I would prefer to see more games in the 100-200 range, better for NET and better preparation for good competition.
That's like Mary Todd Lincoln saying "If my husband is going to be assassinated, I don't mind it being at a crowded theatre."

We should not be playing games where you are anticipating a team being rated over 250. Ever. There is just no need. It hurts our computer rankings, it doesn't do the players much good and it's charging fans full price for a game that has very little chance of being a competitive basketball game.

Yes, if we're going to do one of these fine to do it with a HBCU, but I'd rather we donate to the UNCF or something and run the basketball schedule to further the team's ambitions and the fans' interest.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Then don't buy season tickets and just buy the big games. Because UConn has continually scheduled this way, and continually sold enough season tickets for them to not care. It's not changing any time soon.

That's not true - in the past we've had 1, if not 2, power conference opponents on the home schedule. It's a recent change.

Are you an Season ticket holders? And if not, is it because of the schedule?

I was for nearly decade (XL, GP, Rent) when I lived in state. No longer in state so dropped the tickets.

Look if you're happy with MSVU more power to you. Season ticket holders are the lifeblood of the program. I think it's bs to treat your best fans this way, but hey if North Carolina or Maryland eastern shore is the same to you have at it.

Reaction Score
That's like Mary Todd Lincoln saying "If my husband is going to be assassinated, I don't mind it being at a crowded theatre."

We should not be playing games where you are anticipating a team being rated over 250. Ever. There is just no need. It hurts our computer rankings, it doesn't do the players much good and it's charging fans full price for a game that has very little chance of being a competitive basketball game.

Yes, if we're going to do one of these fine to do it with a HBCU, but I'd rather we donate to the UNCF or something and run the basketball schedule to further the team's ambitions and the fans' interest.

You're missing the point. The game is a way for the HBCU players to have an experience that otherwise wouldn't. They get the a chance to compete against the best in a big time environment. Plus, the UConn athletic department will make money on the game.

It's a win-win. Our computer ranking can take the hit.

Reaction Score
Then don't buy season tickets and just buy the big games. Because UConn has continually scheduled this way, and continually sold enough season tickets for them to not care. It's not changing any time soon
Us Season ticket holders are literally only asking for one, ONE, big name OOC opponent at home. It's not like we're demanding we schedule 4-5 of them.

Reaction Score
It’s a really good thing to annually schedule an HBCU school. However…

Play the game at the HBCU home arena with UConn getting a 50% share of profits.

Three benefits to this:
1. Fans of the HBCU school get a BB experience they never get.
2. The game is more competitive Uconn having to play away from home.
3. UConn fans don’t pay for a game they have zero interest in attending.

Reaction Score

MVSU on 11/14
Kansas on 12/1
Jimmy V Classic on 12/5
I think we have Gonzaga on Dec 15th, too.

Reaction Score
That's not true - in the past we've had 1, if not 2, power conference opponents on the home schedule. It's a recent change.

I was for nearly decade (XL, GP, Rent) when I lived in state. No longer in state so dropped the tickets.

Look if you're happy with MSVU more power to you. Season ticket holders are the lifeblood of the program. I think it's bs to treat your best fans this way, but hey if North Carolina or Maryland eastern shore is the same to you have at it.
1 sure, but the last time we had 2 P5 opponents at home was 2013-14 season, before that was 2005. This is not a recent change

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1 sure, but the last time we had 2 P5 opponents at home was 2013-14 season. This is not a recent change

The 1 big name opponent is a big deal though - you can't gloss over it- on top of exorbitant ticket price increases. I looked it up as far as basketball reference had the season game logs:

24 - 0 (home power conf games)
23 - Oklahoma State
22 - 0
21 - 0
20 - Florida
19 - Arizona
18 - Villanova
17 - Auburn
16 - Ohio State and Georgetown
15 - Texas
14 - Florida and Stanford
13 - Washington
12 - Arkansas
11 - Tennessee

Reaction Score
You're missing the point. The game is a way for the HBCU players to have an experience that otherwise wouldn't. They get the a chance to compete against the best in a big time environment. Plus, the UConn athletic department will make money on the game.

It's a win-win. Our computer ranking can take the hit.
OK, but final 2022-23 KenPom rankings have MSVU at 357 out of 363. Ouch!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

An honest preference. Given the international players that have come from nations where UNCF might provide a benefit we can employ in our recruiting efforts with similar future recruits. But if we want to be mercenary then a HBCU game has a much greater potential for furthering our program's ambitions based on the majority of our recruiting targets and what they might consider important.

Reaction Score
I’ll be there. Thinking this is the first Gampel game of the year.

Last year was 11 Nov Boston U. Not only was I in the house for that too .. that was Veterans Day I was on the video board when former service members in the crowd stood up. I had a corona in my hand and took a long sip with all eyes on me lmao was the start of a great year obviously :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Even though it's none of your business, I appreciate your concern for my perceived value.

Unfortunately not everyone is as amazing and incredible a fan as you and people place higher value on games where UConn plays a brand name opponent.

As the preeminent UConn fan in Connecticut perhaps it's difficult for you to rationalize that but if you bear with me for a second, it may surprise you but a UConn Villanova Big East championship game at MSG ticket would sell for a higher price than UConn snd North Florida at XL in November. Keep in mind this is in the eyes of the lowly non super fan though.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I used to say stop raising season ticket prices when we can’t get out of the first round. Oklahoma St was hardly a big name. But now since we won a title that argument doesn’t hold water.

But I’m still pissed and want one good OOC home game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom