MVP: DT or BG? | The Boneyard

MVP: DT or BG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG's defense is as good as I have ever seen and she is dominating Syl while defending the pick-and-roll to perfection. And her offense ain't half bad, either.

DT is running the team like the best PG in the world, which she is, and is really clicking on her shot. Everything she is doing looks easy.

This may be the best team in WNBA history. Nothing comes easy on offense while BG is on the floor and the offense is a thing of beauty.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's a toss up. I'll be devil's advocate and vote Griner because most on this board would vote Taurasi. I think Griner's first quarter in G1 is what set the tone for Phoenix in that route. In game 2 she completely shut down Fowles, making her look like a JV player. Her overall numbers will pale compared to Diana, but when you look at how she's impacted the game both defensively (12 blocks in 2 games) and offensively (15.5 ppg, 12-21 FG), I'd give her the nod.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough call. They are both playing great basketball and have all year. The expansion of BG's game is really incredible over the last two years. She had a very hard transition year last year, but WOW. While DT is just DT turned up a notch by having a good coach and a great center to go with a solid team around them.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
BG is also partially responsible for DT's success. Example: Griner passing out of a triple team to Taurasi for an open corner 3.

I give a slight edge to Griner because what she does on defense is so unlike any other player in the league.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
BG is also partially responsible for DT's success. Example: Griner passing out of a triple team to Taurasi for an open corner 3.

I give a slight edge to Griner because what she does on defense is so unlike any other player in the league.
Not near as much as DT has assisted BG because DT has had to help BG learn the pro game and how to be aggressive. Aggression defensively and offensively on every end was never BG's nature. Just like Geno DT will not let others around her cheat their talent. DT's biggest asset this year has been being healthy. It changes everything in the game for her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since DT is partially responsible for BG's success the nod goes to DT.

Well Ice you put your finger on the swing factor for me. Griner has had two coaches for two years and DT has been the most influential IMO. Griner feels a tremendous connection to D and has looked to her constantly for how to grow into the WNBA. D is the unrivaled field general.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Naturally I would be in Dee's corner on this but the series isn't over yet. Should game 3 be clutch and one or the other comes through to get the win, then maybe that player should get it.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Loved Dee's comment last night when Holly Rowe asked her what did BG need to do after she got fouled by Big Syl. Dee said "She needed to get up!". Pure Dee. Also sounded like pure Geno. The apple and the tree...
My vote goes to Dee.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Loved Dee's comment last night when Holly Rowe asked her what did BG need to do after she got fouled by Big Syl. Dee said "She needed to get up!". Pure Dee. Also sounded like pure Geno. The apple and the tree...
My vote goes to Dee.

For anyone who did not see / hear D's "get up" coaching referred to by ChicagoGG - it is memorable and check out her expression - it is about 1:30 into the marquee game video on ESPN w's page right now. http://espn.go.com/womens-basketball/

And it is pure Geno channeling. Tough love.

Her next remark: "She got up. And we got up with her!"

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
For anyone who did not see / hear D's "get up" coaching referred to by ChicagoGG - it is memorable and check out her expression - it is about 1:30 into the marquee game video on ESPN w's page right now. http://espn.go.com/womens-basketball/

Thanks for the link and the extra quotes, Rocky! Pure Dee all the way.

Reaction Score
Diana Taurasi is one of the GREATEST LEADERS in all of sports! She has taken PHX with all its stars and forced them to meet her high standards of what a Championship team should be! She has shown Brittany Griner what "being a pro" means and BG has turned up her game to previously unseen levels.
In comparison, The LA Sparks were the keystone cops of the WNBA, having as much or more talent as any other team but not having a LEADER of DT's level of desire, skill, and knowledge!
Remember in 2004, DT willed that team at UCONN to win it's 3rd NCAA Championship in a row! And it was light years from being the most talented WBB team in the USA that season! She sacrificed her personal stats for what the team needed. Making Maria Conlon shine as a point guard for example!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an aside, if you ask the Mercury players which teammate is most valuable (in their respective opinions), most will say Penny Taylor.

As for this question (the subject of this thread), I would give the slight edge to Diana Taurasi. Part of what motivates Griner to be so good and so dominant is Taurasi's leadership. Diana does not just make other players better with her passing, ballmovement, spacing, etc.; she motivates players to be the absolute best they can be with her on-court and off-court leadership.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Regardless of who wins the MVP award, I am thoroughly enjoying watching these two on the same team. BG is finally developing her skills as I have always envisioned. Last year she looked lost half of the time but it is obvious that she has worked incredibly hard on her game, and I do attribute much of that to DT's guidance. If BG continues to develop like she did this year I am not sure who can beat Phoenix in the next few years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

That's what I am talking about.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As an aside, if you ask the Mercury players which teammate is most valuable (in their respective opinions), most will say Penny Taylor.

As for this question (the subject of this thread), I would give the slight edge to Diana Taurasi. Part of what motivates Griner to be so good and so dominant is Taurasi's leadership. Diana does not just make other players better with her passing, ballmovement, spacing, etc.; she motivates players to be the absolute best they can be with her on-court and off-court leadership.
And this, too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Diana, but BG's time is coming.

Reaction Score
Diana, but BG's time is coming.
Agree, at least based on the first 2 games. BG is still growing up and she still has a lot of runway ahead of her. If she keeps on this curve she will be scary good and dominate the league for many years.

Reaction Score
She's never gotten the credit she's deserved, but Penny Taylor is absolutely one of the best players in WNBA history.

I really hope she makes her way into the Naismith HOF, because she really is that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom