Must win?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Must win??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
St. Johns was a must win for our expectations of a top 4-5 seed. This is closer to a doom scenario. I'm concerned about the team not being able to recover if they lose this one. Falling into complete disarray.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
St. Johns was a must win for our expectations of a top 4-5. This is closer to a doom scenario. I'm concerned about the team not being able to recover if they lose this one. Falling into complete disarray.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm usually the optimist type, but this feels like a breaking point. On paper we should win this game by 15 points. The way we've been playing, it wouldn't surprise me anymore to lose by double digits. This team just feels like they are mentally broken right now. Which is weird, because the losses to X, PC, and Marquette were all relatively close games and there's really no shame in losing to them

Reaction Score
@aburks41 I will definitely be paying close attention to body language, demeanor and PT in comparison to earlier. I am curious if there is a mental thing going on. I'm actually quite convinced of it and trust Hurleys previous statements.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I seriously ask all of you is this a must win? I know it’s somewhat early still but for this team it’s not. Especially mentally, it’s getting late and they really need a win, a solid game for 40 minutes against a pretty good team but one they should beat.

For me it YES, need to have it.
YES. 1000%YES

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
This is sobering: The site linked below allows you to play with conference game outcomes to see how the BET seeding would play out. The default result for future matchups is determined by Sagarin rating. As of now, according to who is favored by Sagarin, UConn would win every remaining game except @ Creighton. Even if that happened, and all the other Sagarin-predicted results played out, UConn would be seeded 5th in the BET.

Edit: Interestingly, I did a "worst-case scenario" in which UConn loses all of their remaining "losable" games (according to me), resulting in a 10-10 conference record. This also results in a 5-seed.
Funny. I did the exact same thing last night. But guess what. Just change the outcome of the Creighton game and we're the one seed .

Run the table fellas.

Reaction Score
Last Sunday was a must win.

Tonight is a matter of sink or swim.

We need to win and win convincingly. Get team chemistry back. It’s amazing how attitudes change and teams unite when ya start winning again.

Reaction Score
Winning the Big East title is the furthest though from my mind right now. We need a win to stop the bleeding and to get the swag back.
Agree, it was a fun two months of raising the ceiling of expectations, we all gradually dismissed all preseason predictions and adjusted postseason chances higher and higher. I'd guess some of us tempered those expectations with reality of guard play is critical and is what wins in the NCAA's - but when we were #2 that seemed to only mean UConn was a championship contender vs a favorite.

So now we are back to preseason projections & expectations IF the team can steady the ship and get back on winning track. A win tonight levels the ship and puts us on course for original projections with window of upside to retain #15 ranking & get a very good NCAA seed. A loss and UConn is borderline out of top-25, the preseason expectations become best case rather than expected case scenario and it is most likely UConn isn't returning to the level of play we saw early this season.

I don't like the noise of possible team dissension. The high of #2 rose all boats and if you are a #2 team everyone on the squad gets a lift and becomes nationally recognized, the team & players benefit from winning. Now it seems the player profiles could stay high but the team is left behind and players look to get their numbers first. Strength of this team was sharing the ball and collective effort on defense, please let us see that tonight and right the ship!

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is not a pushover.....won @Rutgers, they blew out St. Johns by 22 and they played X & Prov to closer loses than UConn did. Hall has won 4 of 5 while we have lost 4 of 5....game is a tossup with slight edge to Hall at home imo.

We are certainly capable of handily beating Hall but we'll see tonight if the ship has been righted or still taking on water.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Start # 20

1674059292411.png

Reaction Score
This very thing was the subject of my haiku. I didn’t post it because Hurley won’t be there and he figures prominently in it.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm usually the optimist type, but this feels like a breaking point. On paper we should win this game by 15 points. The way we've been playing, it wouldn't surprise me anymore to lose by double digits. This team just feels like they are mentally broken right now. Which is weird, because the losses to X, PC, and Marquette were all relatively close games and there's really no shame in losing to them
Well there kinda is if not shame then severe disappointment if you see yourself as a true Final Four contender. You really have to beat the teams in your league who are fine but not final four contenders. Or at least 1 of them. Losing all 3 sends a message that you are something of a paper Tiger.

Reaction Score
I couldn’t agree more, they lost what ever they had from a month ago and they need to find their way quickly or a once super promising season could be lost.
Also could see this kind of recent output showing up again in the first round of the Ncaa tournament. Definitely a must win.

Reaction Score
This is sobering: The site linked below allows you to play with conference game outcomes to see how the BET seeding would play out. The default result for future matchups is determined by Sagarin rating. As of now, according to who is favored by Sagarin, UConn would win every remaining game except @ Creighton. Even if that happened, and all the other Sagarin-predicted results played out, UConn would be seeded 5th in the BET.

Edit: Interestingly, I did a "worst-case scenario" in which UConn loses all of their remaining "losable" games (according to me), resulting in a 10-10 conference record. This also results in a 5-seed.
this is predicting a 4 way tie for 1st place lol with us a game back at 15-5.

Reaction Score
this is predicting a 4 way tie for 1st place lol with us a game back at 15-5.
My point is that many of us were penciling in a 1- or 2-seed in the BET a couple weeks ago. Now we can win out and still not get a 1-seed.

Reaction Score
My point is that many of us were penciling in a 1- or 2-seed in the BET a couple weeks ago. Now we can win out and still not get a 1-seed.
We could, it's a good point. I think it's really unlikely that Creighton and Marquette finish with only 4 losses. But who knows.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No. The only must wins are in the tournaments and against rivals. Calling any random game a “must win” defeats the point of the term.

Reaction Score
It’s more of a must win mentally than in actuality, but for the mental health of the boneyard it is clearly a must win.
This hits the nail perfectly. It’s about us, not them.

Reaction Score
We could, it's a good point. I think it's really unlikely that Creighton and Marquette finish with only 4 losses. But who knows.
UConn winning out seems far more unlikely.

Reaction Score
I seriously ask all of you is this a must win? I know it’s somewhat early still but for this team it’s not. Especially mentally, it’s getting late and they really need a win, a solid game for 40 minutes against a pretty good team but one they should beat.

For me it YES, need to have it.
Yep , but Big has multiple meanings.
So was St Johns
That loss knocked us out of a regular season championship possibility.
We would have been favorites in every remaining game but one.
A loss here and we’re second tier
This season becomes among our. worst tank jobs in my memory..
2011 until Kemba took over would have been similar Maul Champs to 9th place in the Big East . .
You can define “big “ in many ways.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If UConn doesn't win and heads into the Xavier game on that kind of slide things could be very ugly
Winning today doesn't solve a lot of issues but it stops the bleeding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom