MUST READ :This article quoting AD Dave Benedict answers a lot of questions | The Boneyard

MUST READ :This article quoting AD Dave Benedict answers a lot of questions

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
has there been any statement as to what Patterson’s injury is
I guess you didn’t read the article. And before anyone gets on their soapbox, no, we aren’t entitled to information. Let the kids have some breathing room

The UConn injuries have ranged in nature from debilitating, such those sustained by Bueckers and Brady, to more minor, such as Ducharme’s neck stiffness or Juhász’s broken thumb. There has been one puzzling moment after another, from Amari DeBerry getting stuck in the Buffalo area due to blizzards to associate head coach Chris Dailey fainting before a game.

None of it is comical. Players have paid significant tolls, both physical and emotional. The injuries have been destructive in how they have snowballed. Healthy and available players are not unaffected, having to carry a greater game-day load while managing hopes, expectations, friendships and the fragile nature of an entire situation.

The program has become increasingly protective of players, choosing not to disclose certain injuries. Everyone involved is worn out by the discussion, the prevailing themes of which began during last season’s injury-plague run to a 14th consecutive Final Four.

Reaction Score
yes I saw that, was just wondering if there was any statement. Possibly from this point forward there will not be any indications as to the nature of any injuries. I‘m a Patterson fan and am hoping that its not serious

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No statement and I don’t expect there will be one

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"Juhász spoke Saturday afternoon at halftime of the UConn men’s game against Creighton at Gampel Pavilion. Most of the women’s team was in attendance, with time initially allotted for practice and preparation having become time to recalibrate."

Glad the team was given some time off to just be students and cheer on the men's team. I cannot imaging bearing the weight of all these challenges, all the questions, etc. Considering the expectations each year, the players deserve the downtime, both physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
Yes the players are amateurs and are entitled to privacy. But the basketball program itself ,because it sells tickets to attend games, is a comercial venture. The general public is entitled to some information so they can make a decision as to whether to but a ticket or not.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes the players are amateurs and are entitled to privacy. But the basketball program itself ,because it sells tickets to attend games, is a comercial venture. The general public is entitled to some information so they can make a decision as to whether to but a ticket or not.
That’s what the article is, general information. The program will resume when the players and Geno are good to go.

I’d be surprised if UConn didn’t refund money for any postponed game, if desired. Reach out to the UConn ticket office

Reaction Score
Don’t buy a ticket for the Depaul game. hope this helped

Reaction Score
Very good article, thanks for sharing Nan. Hoping, as we all are I'm sure, that come next game we have a full compliment of players back. Whether that be the 11th or the 15th, whichever timeframe is best for the players health.

Even with missing Paige and Ice for the season, we have a tremendously talented and committed squad, whom given the opportunity can IMO win it all. Every returning player has shown improvement, some greatly so and Lou's addition is a godsend not to mention what our freshman have shown us thus far.

It has to be tough for this group, knowing their own tremendous potential ceiling, to have to fight through one after the next unexpected challenge. They must feel like Job or Sisyphus, but as with them they always keep fighting and believing.

Hoping this short break allows them to turn the corner on these unending adversities and allows them the opportunity to play out the season at full strength. I have endless respect for their resolve in their commitment to each other and their goals, coupled with my belief that they, if given the opportunity can be the last team standing.

This is truly a special group of young women and regardless of who cuts down the nets in April, to me they will be champions. This group is the epitome of what UCONN women's basketball looks like. Absolutely feel privileged and fortunate to be their fan.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Excellent article by our AD.

I sincerely hope people get the message about injuries. While we all would like to know the extent of any injury, the university is under no obligation to release any information about the student athletes and/ or the coaching staff. And to those with these "conspiracy theories" - enough.

I hope the team gets a chance to rest and reset themselves. If the St. John's game is postponed, so be it.

Reaction Score
People often like to say college sports is a business. It can be a useful exaggeration. But at its core, this is just students enrolled at a non-profit educational institution. Yes, lots of people make a living indirectly off the kids’ play, and there are excesses we could all point to. But none of that is the doing of the kids, nor does it eclipse their absolute right to privacy in any way.

Reaction Score
Aah, I just posted this on the Injuries/Illnesses thread. I"ll delete that and post it here. The most salient part(s) to me were:

“'The thing that is sometimes unfortunate and disappointing is, you have people who are beginning to try to point the finger,” athletic director David Benedict said in his office Saturday morning. “There's no reason why this is happening. There’s nothing that we can pinpoint, like, 'Oh, if we stopped practicing we'd probably be healthier.'
. . .
'There are some, I'm picking up, who are trying to blame our strength and conditioning coach or our athletic trainer,' Benedict said of sports performance director Andrea Huddy, who began her second stint with the program in May 2021, and athletic trainer Janelle Francisco, a longtime member of the UConn athletic staff who has worked with women's basketball since 2016.

'The two most recent injuries — Ayanna got hit in the head and Aaliyah ran into a chair,' Benedict continued. 'That has nothing to do with them. Azzi Fudd got rolled up by Aaliyah in the Notre Dame game. None of that has anything to do with those things. And if you go back and actually identify each of the injuries — Dorka falling down and breaking her wrist last year, that has nothing to do with it. A broken finger, those things happen.'"

Benedict went on to talk about the dispiriting effect bad-mouthing (my word) the program has had on the student-athletes. A good half of the article felt like a response to the Boneyard's recent speculation.

Reaction Score
People often like to say college sports is a business. It can be a useful exaggeration. But at its core, this is just students enrolled at a non-profit educational institution. Yes, lots of people make a living indirectly off the kids’ play, and there are excesses we could all point to. But none of that is the doing of the kids, nor does it eclipse their absolute right to privacy in any way.
The two highest paid employees of the state, are our two basketball coaches. The are "directly" making money of the play of their players.
They make that money because of the revenue generated by their respective sports. To say that this is "kids" playing is simply misleading.
I really appreciated reading the article, and hearing Benedict's take. Thanks, HuskyNan.

However, Bone Dog, the reality is that many athletes are now making some healthy share of a living off NIL opportunities, the basketball coaches are paid very high salaries (as is Benedict!), fans have to pay money to see the teams play on whatever media they choose (or can afford) and/or to go to games if feasible.

It is a business, a big-time business, and the players are very much part of that, especially the better ones who are using their time at UConn or wherever else to prep for pro careers.

I understand it is my choice whether or not to be a Huskies fan... I can't imagine not being one. And I'm not advocating for more transparent reveal of players' injury status. I just think it's naive to believe UConn women's basketball is simply about a bunch of kids playing a sport at a non-profit educational institution.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Aah, I just posted this on the Injuries/Illnesses thread. I"ll delete that and post it here. The most salient part(s) to me were:

“'The thing that is sometimes unfortunate and disappointing is, you have people who are beginning to try to point the finger,” athletic director David Benedict said in his office Saturday morning. “There's no reason why this is happening. There’s nothing that we can pinpoint, like, 'Oh, if we stopped practicing we'd probably be healthier.'
. . .
'There are some, I'm picking up, who are trying to blame our strength and conditioning coach or our athletic trainer,' Benedict said of sports performance director Andrea Huddy, who began her second stint with the program in May 2021, and athletic trainer Janelle Francisco, a longtime member of the UConn athletic staff who has worked with women's basketball since 2016.

'The two most recent injuries — Ayanna got hit in the head and Aaliyah ran into a chair,' Benedict continued. 'That has nothing to do with them. Azzi Fudd got rolled up by Aaliyah in the Notre Dame game. None of that has anything to do with those things. And if you go back and actually identify each of the injuries — Dorka falling down and breaking her wrist last year, that has nothing to do with it. A broken finger, those things happen.'"

Benedict went on to talk about the dispiriting effect bad-mouthing (my word) the program has had on the student-athletes. A good half of the article felt like a response to the Boneyard's recent speculation.
Yes, the players are tired and dinged up and playing with an ever-changing short roster. I was frankly disgusted when people wrote off the two most recent road wins, one by 35 points mind you. That has to wear on the program, too, the weight of expectations..

Reaction Score
Define "some". IMO...the public is entitled to know....if there is a game and to a lesser degree who might not play ( and that's a stretch as far as being 'entitled') and if there is a game. Airlines are a commercial venture and they don't tell you if the pilot is out or why. They sell tickets and you get the pilot they have available OR they cancel the flight. No commercial venture has to go into "detail" regarding why some personnel component isn't available. And to be honest, I don't even want a lot of detail.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I really appreciated reading the article, and hearing Benedict's take. Thanks, HuskyNan.

However, Bone Dog, the reality is that many athletes are now making some healthy share of a living off NIL opportunities, the basketball coaches are paid very high salaries (as is Benedict!), fans have to pay money to see the teams play on whatever media they choose (or can afford) and/or to go to games if feasible.

It is a business, a big-time business, and the players are very much part of that, especially the better ones who are using their time at UConn or wherever else to prep for pro careers.

I understand it is my choice whether or not to be a Huskies fan... I can't imagine not being one. And I'm not advocating for more transparent reveal of players' injury status. I just think it's naive to believe UConn women's basketball is simply about a bunch of kids playing a sport at a non-profit educational institution.
The players, coaches, trainers (they’ve been taking a beating in social media), and support staff are human beings. It’s gotten to the point where the physical and mental well-being of the human beings is more important than games, public perception, or the demands of the fans.

I’ve never talked to Dave Benedict but I bet he would take negative press and whatever hand slap the league or NCAA might hand out rather than risk the health of ANY athlete associated with UConn. He is, simply, that kind of guy and I’m glad he’s at UConn.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
The players are entitled to privacy. We agree.

The basketball program is a money losing venture, a non-profit.
Is it commercial because it sells tickets, the revenue used to partially offset expenses? How about your favorite religious institution that passes the basket? Is it commercial?

Girl Scouts used to-and maybe still do-sell cookies. Does that make them a commercial venture?

The general public is entitled to choose to buy a ticket, a cable subscription, etc. or not, based on their personal whims and available information. The team chooses to announce, on whatever schedule it finds reasonable, who will or will not participate, including coaching staff and players.

Suppose I, a fully sentient being (my spouse would dispute that) in my eighth decade of fumbling around on this fine little planet, were to buy a ticket today for a game scheduled for next week.
I would do so based on current knowledge of player availability.
Suppose I show up, take my seat, log into the omniscient Boneyard, only to learn that two or three starters had tripped on their Nike/Puma/Converse/Adidas/Keds sponsored shoelaces and would not be playing?

To what, ethically, morally, commercially might I be entitled?

Reaction Score
Define "some". IMO...the public is entitled to know....if there is a game and to a lesser degree who might not play ( and that's a stretch as far as being 'entitled') if there is a game. Airlines are a commercial venture and they don't tell you if the pilot is out or why. They sell tickets and you get the pilot they have available OR they cancel the flight. No commercial venture has to go into "detail" regarding why some personnel component isn't available. And to be honest, I don't even want a lot of detail.
I don't think the public is ever entitled to know. You can buy tickets to a Broadway show, get there, and find that the star you so desperately wanted to see has an understudy for that performance. You don't get to know why and you don't get your money back.

FERPA (and its cousin, HIPAA) protects university student-athletes' information. No one has a "right" to know anything about their lives, health, etc. as associated with their school.

Last edited:

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
This is a must read article.

By the way, the Boneyard is part of the social media Benedict has learned to ignore

A great article, and I hope all of the Uconn fans will read it, and stop looking for someone to blame.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is not a thread about defining commercial ventures.

Fans do not have a right to private information. Period. Future posts going down this rabbit hole will be deleted

Reaction Score
I don't think the public is ever entitled to know. You can buy tickets to a Broadway show, get there, and find that the star you so desperately wanted to see has an understudy. for that performance You don't get to know why and you don't get your money back.

FERPA (and its cousin, HIPAA) protects university student-athletes' information. No one has a "right" to know anything about their lives, health, etc. as associated with their school.
I do think a consumer is entitled to know about cancellations. Anything else outside of information that would jeopardize the health and safety of the consumer doesn't meet a "need to know".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom