Must must must win. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Must must must win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You kind of missed the Div. II opponent part. I understand, it doesn't fit your narrative so best to ignore it.

Seriously dude? My main point was the team we play shouldn't matter, D2, HS - it all goes into the process of maturing a very young team. In the eyes of the players every game has to count or none of them count.

As most fans can relate, I struggle to watch each and every game in support through hard times and the good. I don't pick and choose how much I care about the team based on the outcome of the season. I'm lucky enough that I am able to bring my IPad to work, so I can sneakily watch the game while hoping I don't get caught slacking off. D2 team or not, I can't choose to say I dont care enough to watch.

You can say you'll still support and still watch occasionally. If that makes you feel better about yourself, all good, but I will never understand how any fan can voluntarily choose to not care about any game solely based on the fan base expectations.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seriously dude? My main point was the team we play shouldn't matter, D2, HS - it all goes into the process of maturing a very young team. In the eyes of the players every game has to count or none of them count.

As most fans can relate, I struggle to watch each and every game in support through hard times and the good. I don't pick and choose how much I care about the team based on the outcome of the season. I'm lucky enough that I am able to bring my IPad to work, so I can sneakily watch the game while hoping I don't get caught slacking off. D2 team or not, I can't choose to say I dont care enough to watch.

You can say you'll still support and still watch occasionally. If that makes you feel better about yourself, all good, but I will never understand how any fan can voluntarily choose to not care about any game solely based on the fan base expectations.
Save your lecture for someone else, son. I don't need to flex my fan bona fides on a message board. And I certainly don't need it to feel better about myself. But have at it if it works for you. Perhaps you can get a medal of recognition for it.

Reaction Score
"I don't need to flex my bona fides on a message board" = I guess my point didn't fit your narrative, best to ignore it.

Reaction Score
You guys are being completely ridiculous. Should we have won our first 2 games? Yes. Would we have won last night had we played the first half like they did the second? Yes. Maybe I have rose colored glasses on, but if they play like they did in the last few minutes of the game yesterday, day in and day out, this team will be fine. Ollie finally showed some emotion yesterday, which was great to see. Wagner and Northeastern will hurt on Selection Sunday, but there's more than enough time for this team to gel.
Why do you say we should have won our 1st 2 games? We were outplayed both games and deserved to lose. Less we not forget that the game is 40 minutes long. Who cares what we did the last 10 minutes or so fighting back to respectability? Enough of this moral victory that I heard from Ollie last night. We lost and were never in the game. A win today means absolutely nothing. We are running out of opportunities to play high level teams. Just think we had a chance to play NC tonight, instead we play a D2 team. That's not what UConn basketball is all about.

Reaction Score
You guys are being completely ridiculous. Should we have won our first 2 games? Yes. Would we have won last night had we played the first half like they did the second? Yes. Maybe I have rose colored glasses on, but if they play like they did in the last few minutes of the game yesterday, day in and day out, this team will be fine. Ollie finally showed some emotion yesterday, which was great to see. Wagner and Northeastern will hurt on Selection Sunday, but there's more than enough time for this team to gel.
Why do you say we should have won our 1st 2 games? We were outplayed both games and deserved to lose. Less we not forget that the game is 40 minutes long. Who cares what we did the last 10 minutes or so fighting back to respectability? Enough of this moral victory that I heard from Ollie last night. We lost and were never in the game. A win today means absolutely nothing. We are running out of opportunities to play high level teams. Just think we had a chance to play NC tonight, instead we play a D2 team. That's not what UConn basketball is all about.

Reaction Score

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I guess I look at it differently. I have too much pride to care at this point. The season is toast. The two guys I most want to see play are injured and will not be playing for who knows how long. Probably best to let them heal fully before even considering playing them again. I consider the season scrapped and I would start sitting Brimah and Purvis more in favor of developing the younger players, even if it means risking losing a game like this.

Lord knows what Adams needs, but I tend to think that coddling him and puffing up his chest at making it close during garbage time is not it. Looks to me like he--and we--need a point guard, and he ain't it.
There's no sitting old guys in favor of young guys at this point. With Larrier, Diarra, and Gilbert out its all hands on deck just to get 5 guys on the courr

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score

I'm not sure if you're being intentionally difficult or not, but I'm going to assume that you are. If you've watched UConn basketball for more than 15 minutes, it's more than obvious that we should have won both of those games if for no other reason than the caliber of players we have on our team. Again, I'm what I'm implying is that our level of play was not up to par with our historical play, nor is it indicative of the level of talent we have on our roster now. What I made painfully clear, which you just seem to want to ignore, is that had we played with the level of intensity that we did in the second half of last night's game during the first 3.5 games, we'd be 4-0 right now. You can pout all you want, but the reality is that we've lost 3 games. 2 were to garbage teams, but to think that the season is over right now is absurd. Obviously it's a given that there's not a lot of room for error, but you're out of your mind if you think that the committee won't look at a team loaded with young players who struggled early, and then figured it out as the season went on, and not give them the benefit of the doubt on Selection Sunday.

Reaction Score
doesn't a win get a game against Oregon?

Reaction Score
You kind of missed the Div. II opponent part. I understand, it doesn't fit your narrative so best to ignore it.
I could easily see this being a close game despite them being Div. II.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I could easily see this being a close game despite them being Div. II.
No question. And that's nothing I really want to see.

Bottom line for me is that I would watch the game no matter what if I wasn't working, because that's what I do; and I would skip out of work to watch it if it was UNC, etc. But I don't expect to be able to tell anything from this game now. If we beat them, so what? If it's close, we're still flirting with disaster. If we lose, well, we're where we are.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There's no sitting old guys in favor of young guys at this point. With Larrier, Diarra, and Gilbert out its all hands on deck just to get 5 guys on the courr
Agreed that we need the bodies, but I'm talking about getting Enoch and Durham more time at Amida's expense, and getting Vital more time at Rodney's expense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes, the vastly more talented team was outplayed and lost those games. They were still the vastly more talented team and thus should have won. As for last night....last 10 minutes? I believe it was a 3 point game with about 9 minutes to play. They were in the game. They blew it, with help from the zebras, but they certainly could have won.

UConn will blow out Chaminade and will beat whoever they match up with after that, whether Oregon or Tennessee.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why does it seem that getting in a deep hole and fighting back valiantly ( but never over the hump) is the trademark of KO UConn teams. Cutting a lead and losing and 10 cents will get you what? A cup of coffee.

How many times last year alone did this happen? Maryland? Kansas? a bunch of others.
Why do we only play loose when down plus 15? That is the stone truth of it. Think about it. We blow NO ONE out ever. I mean ever. In many of the games we won we played down to whatever level it took to eek out a win. It didnt matter the opponent or their skill level. Now dont get me wrong, Ill take wins all day, not complaining about the type of wins, just illustrating a point that we are and have been a very mentally "tight" team.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Ok, I've changed my mind. We are blowing out Chaminade today. Take it to the bank.

LOL I cant wait until we lose.

Because I thought last night at the end of the game that we would blow them out too today, which is a sure singn they make at least 13 threes.

Cool thing is, it doesnt matter against a D2 team. Bring on the pain.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
LOL I cant wait until we lose.

Because I thought last night at the end of the game that we would blow them out too today, which is a sure singn they make at least 13 threes.

Cool thing is, it doesnt matter against a D2 team. Bring on the pain.
Easy dude. Next thing you know some grade schooler will be calling you a fair weather fan and blaming our conference situation on you.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Easy dude. Next thing you know some grade schooler will be calling you a fair weather fan and blaming our conference situation on you.

Its definitely my fault. I lost my mojo sweatshirt in Louisville last month

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Its definitely my fault. I lost my mojo sweatshirt in Louisville last month
Sounds like good material for a song. I'll round out the lyrics if you want to throw together some music. I'm thinking of a blues scale in D minor.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We need to stop these threads, it's embarrassing.

We passed the point of "must win" non-AAC tourney games about 2 games back.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sounds like good material for a song. I'll round out the lyrics if you want to throw together some music. I'm thinking of a blues scale in D minor.

Its the saddest of all keys. Good key for this season.

GD China Doll written in D minor FYI

Reaction Score
Look, we are going to watch these games critically anyway but I am going to reserve judgement until dec11 as to whether this is some kind of dead season. If we can't be competitive and win by then we might as well just go all in on the youngsters for experience sake just to see what kind of development can happen. We were 16-18 ranked out of the box with delusions of a tournament run to the final 8 and beyond in many of our minds, and that is a tough dream to let go of, but if we are going to be that bad a team with the seniors in there then why play them much?

Reaction Score

Could not have said it better myself...true fan supports out guys no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom