Must must must win. | The Boneyard

Must must must win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No offense, Chaminade is no different than Wagner. Technically, UConn will almost certainly have to win the AAC tournament to earn a bid. So, no, this isn't a must win.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree. It may not be a must win for the NCAA tourney but it's most certainly a must win for the sanity of the Boneyard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For pride, it's kind of a must win. Numbers wise, it doesn't matter. Plus, would be nice to match up with Oregon in the last game in Maui.
Pride alone... think of how much lower-sad this fan base would be if we lose to a D2 school . ..
I guess I look at it differently. I have too much pride to care at this point. The season is toast. The two guys I most want to see play are injured and will not be playing for who knows how long. Probably best to let them heal fully before even considering playing them again. I consider the season scrapped and I would start sitting Brimah and Purvis more in favor of developing the younger players, even if it means risking losing a game like this.

Lord knows what Adams needs, but I tend to think that coddling him and puffing up his chest at making it close during garbage time is not it. Looks to me like he--and we--need a point guard, and he ain't it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have too much pride to care at this point.

:rolleyes:

What a line. Giving up on a season after four games; I wouldn't say that's due to having too much pride. Maybe too much liquor? Too much entitlement? I don't know, but it sure as hell ain't pride.

The start to this season has straight up sucked. But we're only 4 games in, and it is clearly salvageable. Especially if they play the rest of the year like the second half of last night.

Get a win today. Beat a ranked Oregon team to even up at 3-3. Then, we're back in business again. Too much pride...

Reaction Score
Pride alone... think of how much lower-sad this fan base would be if we lose to a D2 school . ..
That shipped has already sailed. We lost by 9 at home to a team that then got blown out by umass-Lowell. A loss today would be comical.

Reaction Score
There is a slight chance they could fix yhe season and be a long shot for last 4 in vs the last 4 out. a D2 loss would be devastating

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This team does have talent, if they can come together, next year will be special but not this year. Let's see what KO can do, this will show everyone what he can do with a young team this year that will point to next year.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
You guys are being completely ridiculous. Should we have won our first 2 games? Yes. Would we have won last night had we played the first half like they did the second? Yes. Maybe I have rose colored glasses on, but if they play like they did in the last few minutes of the game yesterday, day in and day out, this team will be fine. Ollie finally showed some emotion yesterday, which was great to see. Wagner and Northeastern will hurt on Selection Sunday, but there's more than enough time for this team to gel.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that heart from last night carries over, we come out strong and never look back. A blowout win from the get-go in which Jalen doesn't have to play 38 minutes would be huge going into a 5th place game versus Oregon. Oregon is struggling right now but come March that'll be a nice win to look back on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

What a line. Giving up on a season after four games; I wouldn't say that's due to having too much pride. Maybe too much liquor? Too much entitlement? I don't know, but it sure as hell ain't pride.

The start to this season has straight up sucked. But we're only 4 games in, and it is clearly salvageable. Especially if they play the rest of the year like the second half of last night.

Get a win today. Beat a ranked Oregon team to even up at 3-3. Then, we're back in business again. Too much pride...

Thanks Dan
You saved me the time
When I read that I had to go back 4 times and change my glasses twice
Too much pride and giving up

Reaction Score
Really finding it hard to have the same optimism as some of you other posters. We give up 58 second half points yet somehow we fought hard and have a great amount of momentum? We should be holding teams to 58 points for the game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Thanks Dan
You saved me the time
When I read that I had to go back 4 times and change my glasses twice
Too much pride and giving up
Call it what you want. I just cannot imagine a universe in which I think "I'm really proud of what the kids showed against Chaminade."

I'm just being realistic and resetting my expectations for the season based on what I've seen, both in terms of injuries to our best players and the development still needed--and which may not come--in the others.

I always preach that progress is not linear when dealing with teenagers, and I'm simply heeding my own sermon. I'm not giving up on the team but I have zero expectations for the season now except to use it to build for the future.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I agree. It may not be a must win for the NCAA tourney but it's most certainly a must win for the sanity of the Boneyard.

too late for that.

(by too late, I mean 20 minutes after the boneyard was born too late)

Reaction Score
Call it what you want. I just cannot imagine a universe in which I think "I'm really proud of what the kids showed against Chaminade."

I'm just being realistic and resetting my expectations for the season based on what I've seen, both in terms of injuries to our best players and the development still needed--and which may not come--in the others.

I always preach that progress is not linear when dealing with teenagers, and I'm simply heeding my own sermon. I'm not giving up on the team but I have zero expectations for the season now except to use it to build for the future.

You may have zero expectations going forward, but I guarantee you the coaching staff and players have not crossed Goal #1 off the board. Every game matters, or no game matters. There is no resetting expectations for next year or 2 years. You don't get better by lowering expectations. Every game matters or no game matters.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You may have zero expectations going forward, but I guarantee you the coaching staff and players have not crossed Goal #1 off the board. Every game matters, or no game matters. There is no resetting expectations for next year or 2 years. You don't get better by lowering expectations. Every game matters or no game matters.
Yes, I would hope that they all continue to do their jobs.

I'm going to continue to do mine, too, including this afternoon, when I won't be making time to watch us play a Div. II team. I watched us play the preseason games because I was eager to get a look at the team and evaluate our promise for the season. I don't expect today's game to be revelatory. If I wasn't working and had no other conflicts I would watch it, but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.

Reaction Score
The next two games are must wins. Get to 3-3, hit the reset button and hope for some luck.

Reaction Score
Yes, I would hope that they all continue to do their jobs.

I'm going to continue to do mine, too, including this afternoon, when I won't be making time to watch us play a Div. II team. I watched us play the preseason games because I was eager to get a look at the team and evaluate our promise for the season. I don't expect today's game to be revelatory. If I wasn't working and had no other conflicts I would watch it, but I'm not going to go out of my way for it.

Can't say I expect anything more from a true BY doom and gloom post.

In the meantime, your post just proves why we don't deserve to be in a power 5 conference. "1-3, seasons over, I'll watch if I have time".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can't say I expect anything more from a true BY doom and gloom post.

In the meantime, your post just proves why we don't deserve to be in a power 5 conference. "1-3, seasons over, I'll watch if I have time".
You kind of missed the Div. II opponent part. I understand, it doesn't fit your narrative so best to ignore it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Does a win over D2 opponent even count in our record? I thought it didn't. In any event, I paid $126 (before fees) for,my ticket so I will be happily sitting in the Lahaina Civic Center cheering on the Huskies in about 3.5 hours. I wish it were against UNC but with all the joy UConn hoops has given me over the past 25 years I can give them a pass for s hitting the bed over the last 4 games.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I wish it were against UNC but with all the joy UConn hoops has given me over the past 25 years I can give them a pass for s hitting the bed over the last 4 games.
Add a few years and that's exactly where I am.

Well, except you're in Hawaii. Enjoy, ya bastid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom