Murder on Middle Beach | The Boneyard

Murder on Middle Beach

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This four-episode documentary on HBO has been a better watch than expected. Three episodes in with one to go next Sunday.

I remember the story well from when it occurred but had no idea about most of the details explored here.

Very compelling; each week it leaves you with a different impression of who likely committed the murder. I will be interested to see how they end it.

Lotsa screwed up lives involved either way, that's for sure. Sad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This four-episode documentary on HBO has been a better watch than expected. Three episodes in with one to go next Sunday.

I remember the story well from when it occurred but had no idea about most of the details explored here.

Very compelling; each week it leaves you with a different impression of who likely committed the murder. I will be interested to see how they end it.

I'll put that on the list. I'm almost done with The Undoing. Fresh content is pretty valuable right now.

Did you watch I'll Be Gone In The Dark - Official Website for the HBO Series? There was a bit too much of a focus on Michelle McNamara (wife of Patton Oswalt) and in some ways it is a story about her as much as the "Golden State Killer". But it's an intriguing look into the work done by private citizens to solve the longest string of serial rapes and murders in our history.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll put that on the list. I'm almost done with The Undoing. Fresh content is pretty valuable right now.

Did you watch I'll Be Gone In The Dark - Official Website for the HBO Series? There was a bit too much of a focus on Michelle McNamara (wife of Patton Oswalt) and in some ways it is a story about her as much as the "Golden State Killer". But it's an intriguing look into the work done by private citizens to solve the longest string of serial rapes and murders in our history.
I have not watched that. I'm generally not a huge fan of the genre; my wife really loves it though. My attraction to Murder on Middle Beach is due in large part to the local connection we have to it.

I do plan to watch The Undoing though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

whats sad is the police cover-up.

Same as it ever was.

defund those fackers

Curiouser
Reaction Score
whats sad is the police cover-up.

Same as it ever was.

defund those fackers
Police are an interesting part of the story for sure, but I haven't seen anything so far in the nature of a cover-up. Still one more episode to go though.

I would like to see some more explanation of the initial DNA collection that ruled out the ex-husband and what went into the decision to cremate her without preserving more DNA samples.

It sounds like the police remain most suspicious of her sister Conway, who certainly said enough to implicate herself.

I don't buy the daughter being involved at all, but there are a few things that don't add up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would like to see some more explanation of the initial DNA collection that ruled out the ex-husband and what went into the decision to cremate her without preserving more DNA samples.

thats the coverup.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
thats the coverup.
But the ex-husband was in court at the time she was murdered. There is no dispute about that. He has a rock-solid alibi in terms of his whereabouts at that time. It is an open question imo whether he hired a hit man to do it (which Conway actually admits she did attempt to do numerous times), but that wouldn't lead to his DNA being found on her or at the scene.

Reaction Score
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan this is one messy case. I vaguely remember this happening when I was younger. Episode #2 where they detailed the "gifting tables" ponzi scheme was just magically ridiculous! The fact that her sister and cousin can just sit there and CLEARLY know more about what happened then they're saying, and at the same time be like - what we were doing wasn't illegal!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan this is one messy case. I vaguely remember this happening when I was younger. Episode #2 where they detailed the "gifting tables" ponzi scheme was just magically ridiculous! The fact that her sister and cousin can just sit there and CLEARLY know more about what happened then they're saying, and at the same time be like - what we were doing wasn't illegal!
The gifting tables thing is crazy. Even crazier imo that the police essentially admitted that their interest in the clearly illegal scheme was solely in connection with the murder and they wouldn't have bothered investigating it otherwise.

This has been one of very few shows in which our whole family has been interested, again mostly because of the local interest. We had a long talk about the gifting tables over dinner last night. My wife and youngest daughter were saying how strange it was that it was only women, and that they were targeting people for whom $5,000 was a lot of money. I explained how I thought it was criminally brilliant in both respects. Although $5,000 is a lot of money, it's probably doable for most people if they are resourceful in exploring all of their options and they make it a priority. And focusing on just these particular types of women and swearing them all to secrecy was the key to making it work. You get a nosy husband or two asking questions and the scheme never makes it off the ground.

Reaction Score
Finished this last night.. Wow. What a remarkably shady story.

The aunt and the dad are so damn suspicious.

My wife and I went back and forth as to whether the dad hired a hitman or was just an absolute egocentric who was DEFINITELY involved in shady business overseas.. Along with the victim's sister who even mentioned she tried to hire a hitman at one point..

Talk about first world problems, Madison is quite a place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Finished this last night.. Wow. What a remarkably shady story.

The aunt and the dad are so damn suspicious.

My wife and I went back and forth as to whether the dad hired a hitman or was just an absolute egocentric who was DEFINITELY involved in shady business overseas.. Along with the victim's sister who even mentioned she tried to hire a hitman at one point..

Talk about first world problems, Madison is quite a place.
I hope we get some follow up after they review the 1,600+ pages from the police files that were turned over to them in October 2020, after they wrapped the documentary (as a result of the FOI ruling).

The aunt is a wreck and the father is a creep. Both fully capable. I want to know who had their cell phone turned off for that hour.

I was heartened to see how well the daughter Ali turned out. NB: She was the only one smart enough to get away from it all and make a clean break.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think it is time for us to start this one tonight. Hopefully the wife will be up for it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think it is time for us to start this one tonight. Hopefully the wife will be up for it.
I will be curious to see if it holds the attention of people who have no local connection to it.

Reaction Score
I hope we get some follow up after they review the 1,600+ pages from the police files that were turned over to them in October 2020, after they wrapped the documentary (as a result of the FOI ruling).

The aunt is a wreck and the father is a creep. Both fully capable. I want to know who had their cell phone turned off for that hour.

I was heartened to see how well the daughter Ali turned out. NB: She was the only one smart enough to get away from it all and make a clean break.

Yes, totally agree with the follow-up, so curious.

The daughter is still a little suspicious to me. I can't put my finger on it. She's obviously got loads and loads of baggage but it seems like she has been quite a handful her whole life.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes, totally agree with the follow-up, so curious.

The daughter is still a little suspicious to me. I can't put my finger on it. She's obviously got loads and loads of baggage but it seems like she has been quite a handful her whole life.
That narrative comes from the sister, who was such a wreck that she lost custody of her own child.

Think about the life the daughter had. Her father was out their lives since she was a baby and he drained the trust he was required to set up for her support. Her mother was a fall-down drunk who left her and her brother alone while she went out drinking with her friends. When the mother got sober she became part of a pyramid scheme in which she enlisted people she met through AA. Her aunt was even worse than her mother; and her brother was a drug addict.

Then her mother was murdered and she found her.

Sounds like she had a toxic life from the start and, after a lot of therapy, she has actually gotten to a very good place.

Reaction Score
While I do think you're on to something, I think we're both falling for the unreliable narration of this show.

Dad had an agenda, as did the sister.

The sister wanted to point the finger at the daughter for her own selfish or perhaps guilty reasons.

How did she have the means to live overseas for all those years? She just up and bounced, that's a pretty lavish and expensive lifestyle no?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How did she have the means to live overseas for all those years? She just up and bounced, that's a pretty lavish and expensive lifestyle no?
I thought about this the other day. It‘s a good question. I think she was in South America the whole time and settled in Argentina. I‘m guessing the cost of living could be very inexpensive, especially for an attractive young American girl who needs a place to stay. Her therapy would certainly cost some money. We really don’t know much about what she was doing there and how soon she met the man she ended up marrying.

We don’t know what assets the mother had or that Ali had in trust. We know that the father allegedly drained the trust that was intended for her education and that’s what he was in family court for that day. He was later arrested for first degree larceny for stealing that money and I don’t know what became of that charge, but perhaps somehow she was able to get some of it back? Maybe she was the beneficiary of other trusts, or the mother had significant assets that she inherited?

Reaction Score
Can't believe I never heard about the gifting tables or this case, a lot of really weird stuff has happened in CT. over the years and the police in the state have always had a major corruption problem. This case and several others I'm aware of shouldn't have been that difficult to solve.

The family is totally insane and it took me until episode 2 to realize the kid's name is Madison and he lives on the Beach in Madison, on MIddle Beach Road, and his mom and her family have the last name Beach. Confusing as all hell. This show will blow up once people discover it.

Reaction Score
The gifting tables thing is crazy. Even crazier imo that the police essentially admitted that their interest in the clearly illegal scheme was solely in connection with the murder and they wouldn't have bothered investigating it otherwise.

This has been one of very few shows in which our whole family has been interested, again mostly because of the local interest. We had a long talk about the gifting tables over dinner last night. My wife and youngest daughter were saying how strange it was that it was only women, and that they were targeting people for whom $5,000 was a lot of money. I explained how I thought it was criminally brilliant in both respects. Although $5,000 is a lot of money, it's probably doable for most people if they are resourceful in exploring all of their options and they make it a priority. And focusing on just these particular types of women and swearing them all to secrecy was the key to making it work. You get a nosy husband or two asking questions and the scheme never makes it off the ground.
Not strange at all it was all women, seems like half the girls I grew up with are now Karen's involved in Ponzi schemes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not strange at all it was all women, seems like half the girls I grew up with are now Karen's involved in Ponzi schemes.

Did you see the meme today on Twitter?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nope, can you share?

I can't find it now. Tried. It was in my twitter feed yesterday, something about bored suburban women and ponzi schemes.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the whole aunt and sister's explanation of the gifting tables was the complete and total delusional belief that what they were doing was legal.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Still have not started this. But we started another true crime documentary on Netflix, Trial 4. So far it’s good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom