Multiple Sources: ACC wants UConn if expands to16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Multiple Sources: ACC wants UConn if expands to16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Hoophound said:
ESPN seems to want UCONN in the ACC. They are keeping that ball in the air. If ESPN wants it, it shall be done. We need to be working ESPN hard. Is the state giving ESPN tax credits? If so, get the governor on the phone to ESPN offering more if they get UCONN into the ACC.​

No. ESPN wants the Big East to dissolve because after this stunt where ESPN helped the ACC raid the Big East for the second time in 8 years, there is about a 90% chance the league signs with Comcast. So ESPN is AT WAR with the Big East, and the cheapest way to get rid of the Big East is to pick away at the league until enough teams leave to create a tipping point of value destruction on the remaining members. The next cheapest way to destroy the Big East is to have the Big 12 pluck a couple of teams away. Expect that effort to begin soon, with ESPN's assistance.

Why can't you both be right?

Assuming you're right and they are trying to weaken the Big East, then ESPN could push for UConn to the ACC to help strengthen their product, no?

I understand you don't want to leave the big east, but you have to admit at this point we are better off long term in the acc, because there are no other options that provide the type of BCS stability we need.

The Big East football schools should be going after the Big 12 schools. "In this game of thrones, you either win, or you die"

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
NBC TV 30 just reported that Uconn is next on the ACC's list. The ACC wants 16 teams. The other team is ND!

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Probably just regurgitating what has already been said. ND and UConn is a real possibility, but not a certainty at this point.

Reaction Score
As usual, local media is about 48 hours late with the news.

Reaction Score
As usual, local media is about 48 hours late with the news.
The local TV sports anchors are horrific and do very little of their own investigating. But they sure can read off a teleprompter.

"...and I'm Kevin Nathan. Go duck yourself UConn"

Reaction Score
The local TV sports anchors are horrific and do very little of their own investigating. But they sure can read off a teleprompter.

"...and I'm Kevin Nathan. Go duck yourself UConn"

You know, you're a dirty pirate hooker. Why don't you go back to your home on whore island.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only legal action I would take at this point is to threaten ESPN with a lawsuit unless they let the Big East out of the exclusive negotiating period. ESPN is using that clause to destroy the Big East, and the Big East can not stand by while that happens. If ESPN gives us the finger, bring an injunction to try and get a judge to invalidate that clause of the contract.

I think Nordy at Pitt has a huge fiduciary violation, but it is not worth the trouble.

At this point can we get Waylon to admit that the first plank on his platform is what is going to be the death of the Big East.

There was no bigger advocate for a Big East/Comcast deal then Waylon. Turns out that even the threat of Comcast forced ESPN to slaughter the league.

Waylon, are you ready to admit that the Big East never had any leverage and calling ESPN's bluff was like shooting themselves in the 'Temple'. Get it.. Temple... ha ha.

Reaction Score
I don't see ND ever going to the ACC. And even if the football schools leave the BE ND will probably stay in the BE and add Xavier and Dusquene and St Joes. This will be a compelling enough conference for them and still keep them in the drivers seat for their football contract. Swofford is just dreaming unrealistic dreams imo.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that the absence of the BE football schools eliminates the guarantee of a BCS bid for them. So they may be forced to find a conference if they want the BCS monies. And who knows if their NBC contract has clauses demanding this requirement. Good grief.

Do you know who the Big East is?

Georgetown, Villanova, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Providence were here back in the Big East back in 2003 but Notre Dame went and talks with the ACC for place to park their other sports. In the 80’s that was true but in the BCS era Syracuse, Connecticut and Pitt are the heart and soul of the Big East. Do you believe the addition of Marquette and DePaul will make it more acceptable for Notre Dame to stay in the Big East?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Do you know who the Big East is?

Georgetown, Villanova, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Providence were here back in the Big East back in 2003 but Notre Dame went and talks with the ACC for place to park their other sports. In the 80’s that was true but in the BCS era Syracuse, Connecticut and Pitt are the heart and soul of the Big East. Do you believe the addition of Marquette and DePaul will make it more acceptable for Notre Dame to stay in the Big East?
I think the departure of Syracuse demonstrates that sentimentality is not at play here.

Reaction Score
At this point can we get Waylon to admit that the first plank on his platform is what is going to be the death of the Big East.

There was no bigger advocate for a Big East/Comcast deal then Waylon. Turns out that even the threat of Comcast forced ESPN to slaughter the league.

Waylon, are you ready to admit that the Big East never had any leverage and calling ESPN's bluff was like shooting themselves in the 'Temple'. Get it.. Temple... ha ha.
I agree that the threat of Comcast, caused ESPN to act/destroy the Big East, but shame on the school presidents for not getting together and committing, and I mean really committing to each other. This is where Marinatto's greatest failure lies. He should have been in all the FB schools ear about the importance of staying together and to expect the ACC to act as a predator and come calling because they in turn feel threatened by the SEC. Instead he is having meetings with Swofford, about making sure "things are done the right way". Would it have worked? Who knows, but the fact that he is having meetings with Swofford and expecting that he was going to be straight up and honest just speaks to his naivete. Swofford probably used those meetings to find out which schools were MOST likely to jump as soon as an offer was extended.

Reaction Score
For those that follow twitter, jay bilas, one of the funniest guys out there on that medium, just tweeted:

ESPN likey UCONN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that the threat of Comcast, caused ESPN to act/destroy the Big East, but shame on the school presidents for not getting together and committing, and I mean really committing to each other. This is where Marinatto's greatest failure lies. He should have been in all the FB schools ear about the importance of staying together and to expect the ACC to act as a predator and come calling because they in turn feel threatened by the SEC. Instead he is having meetings with Swofford, about making sure "things are done the right way". Would it have worked? Who knows, but the fact that he is having meetings with Swofford and expecting that he was going to be straight up and honest just speaks to his naivete. Swofford probably used those meetings to find out which schools were MOST likely to jump as soon as an offer was extended.

Shame on UConn for not being the first one out the door. Any legitimate football school who thought the Big East could work... has an administration that is as weak as the leadership in Providence.

Marinatto being in your ear just makes it more obvious that you want out. Swofford knew that any Big East football school offered entry into the ACC would take it within 48 hours.

Poor Jay Bilas. He doesn't understand that the leagues don't care about basketball. If they did, WE WOULDN'T BE IN THIS POSITION.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

FYI, if the Big East had taken the ESPN deal, it would be just as raided. Why lock in a revenue disparity with the ACC that they could exploit? Does that sound like a sound business strategy?

Unfortunately, Pitt and Syracuse screwed everyone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FYI, if the Big East had taken the ESPN deal, it would be just as raided. Why lock in a revenue disparity with the ACC that they could exploit? Does that sound like a sound business strategy?

I'm pretty sure you spent the last year lecturing us about how much better the Big East's deal was going to be relative to the ACC.

How did Pitt and Syracuse 'f' everyone? You just told us they don't matter - that Navy and Air Force drive big ratings!!!! Didn't they do us a huge favor by replacing themselves with the third most popular program in Colorado?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse didn't f anyone. They are just taking 2003 to it's logical conclusion. Big East has been on borrowed time since.

Reaction Score
I say we get Scully and Mulder on it. It's the Cigarette Smoking Man that is behind all of this.

And bring on the Lone Gunmen, they can use their wiz-bang gadgets and tells us what's going on behind closed doors. (And maybe mind meld BCU into dropping their angst towards us).

Reaction Score
I guess it is easier to blame Pitt and Cuse, than to admit the conference has been destined to fail. Sure it was the greatest BBall conference of all time or pretty close to it, but at the end of the day that mattered very little as two of the BBall stalwarts took their bouncy ball to the ACC, because they offer a more stable football environment.

Reaction Score

$12 million versus $14 million is not a bug deficit, especially when Southern shenanigans can sink your team and cause you to sell fewer tickets. I doubt there is any single UConn fan here who would rather see UConn compete in the ACC than the Big East as it was two weeks ago. I can't imagine we would find such a fan.

The point is, when you get that close in payout, you start looking at other concerns, such as selling tickets. BC's extra money right now is doing it no good on the local revenue side.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is a lot of 20/20 hindsight on this board. If memory serves, the consensus was that Marinatto had almost screwed everyone by taking the lousy deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

+1

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a lot of 20/20 hindsight on this board. If memory serves, the consensus was that Marinatto had almost screwed everyone by taking the lousy deal.

That was you brother. You were the one pounding that drum. I posted time and time again that the Big East could not lose the ESPN brand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That was you brother. You were the one pounding that drum. I posted time and time again that the Big East could not lose the ESPN brand.

You are totally FOS. Now stop stalking me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are totally FOS. Now stop stalking me.

Yeah, look it up Waylon. You couldn't push Comcast hard enough. I could not have stated more times that not being on ESPN would kill the conference because that is where people go looking for sports. But you remember it however you want. Hopefully you remember it better than your posts in this thread about how much better service academies are than Pitt and Syracuse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, look it up Waylon. You couldn't push Comcast hard enough. I could not have stated more times that not being on ESPN would kill the conference because that is where people go looking for sports. But you remember it however you want. Hopefully you remember it better than your posts in this thread about how much better service academies are than Pitt and Syracuse.

Yep. It's my fault this happened. Take an ambien and go to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom