Multiple Sources: ACC wants UConn if expands to16 | The Boneyard

Multiple Sources: ACC wants UConn if expands to16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"But the source said the league wouldn't ever rule out current Big East member Rutgers, either. The Scarlet Knights may not have a natural home if the ACC decides not to expand beyond 14. Multiple sources said the ACC would want Notre Dame and then Connecticut first if it were to expand beyond 14. The Fighting Irish have maintained that they want their independence in football and at this juncture they don't ha
e to join a conference."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...commissioner-dan-beebe-job-status-source-says

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN and the ACC trying to destroy the Big East without actually adding any teams. They can go F themselves.

Reaction Score
I would literally piss my pants laughing if I ever read 'Sources from The Boneyard claim...'

Reaction Score
ESPN seems to want UCONN in the ACC. They are keeping that ball in the air. If ESPN wants it, it shall be done. We need to be working ESPN hard. Is the state giving ESPN tax credits? If so, get the governor on the phone to ESPN offering more if they get UCONN into the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN seems to want UCONN in the ACC. They are keeping that ball in the air. If ESPN wants it, it shall be done. We need to be working ESPN hard. Is the state giving ESPN tax credits? If so, get the governor on the phone to ESPN offering more if they get UCONN into the ACC.

No. ESPN wants the Big East to dissolve because after this stunt where ESPN helped the ACC raid the Big East for the second time in 8 years, there is about a 90% chance the league signs with Comcast. So ESPN is AT WAR with the Big East, and the cheapest way to get rid of the Big East is to pick away at the league until enough teams leave to create a tipping point of value destruction on the remaining members. The next cheapest way to destroy the Big East is to have the Big 12 pluck a couple of teams away. Expect that effort to begin soon, with ESPN's assistance.

Reaction Score
No. ESPN wants the Big East to dissolve because after this stunt where ESPN helped the ACC raid the Big East for the second time in 8 years, there is about a 90% chance the league signs with Comcast. So ESPN is AT WAR with the Big East, and the cheapest way to get rid of the Big East is to pick away at the league until enough teams leave to create a tipping point of value destruction on the remaining members. The next cheapest way to destroy the Big East is to have the Big 12 pluck a couple of teams away. Expect that effort to begin soon, with ESPN's assistance.

Fair enough. I think ESPN keeps UCONN to the ACC bubbling but I'm not sure why. Assuming you are right, do you think if the B12 drafts Ville and WVU that ESPN will let UCONN sink into the abyss or try to get the ACC to take us? UCONN provides lots of good tv.

Reaction Score

ACC did not need to expand. They expanded to take the kneecaps out of the BE. ESPN probably told them to do it so BE can't get a big TV deal. ESPN has total control over college football. I will be fine if CT senators get involved to find out what really happened behind the scenes regarding ESPN/ACC's plan for the BE.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's been said that if someone can think it then it is possible. ESPN would certainly win if the BE is weakened. They either get the conference for less than they originally were willing to offer or they make it unimportant if they don't get it. So they have a vested interest in the scenario you suggest. But if evidence ever surfaces that they were active in the process, the BE members not named Pitt and Cuse will walk away with a lot of money. I think the only thing they are doing is saying that if significant changes are made in the ACC and B12 conference they will renegotiate the contract. In fact more than likely that was written into the existing contracts. And if the ACC or B12 approached ESPN, and asked if adding team X or Y would constitute significant change ESPN would keep the answer as vague as possible so as to never be involved in a lawsuit.

Reaction Score
ESPN wants better content and more of it. Not sure how watering down the BE achieves that, other than possibly attracting ND football to ACC

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's been said that if someone can think it then it is possible. ESPN would certainly win if the BE is weakened. They either get the conference for less than they originally were willing to offer or they make it unimportant if they don't get it. So they have a vested interest in the scenario you suggest. But if evidence ever surfaces that they were active in the process, the BE members not named Pitt and Cuse will walk away with a lot of money. I think the only thing they are doing is saying that if significant changes are made in the ACC and B12 conference they will renegotiate the contract. In fact more than likely that was written into the existing contracts. And if the ACC or B12 approached ESPN, and asked if adding team X or Y would constitute significant change ESPN would keep the answer as vague as possible so as to never be involved in a lawsuit.

The only legal action I would take at this point is to threaten ESPN with a lawsuit unless they let the Big East out of the exclusive negotiating period. ESPN is using that clause to destroy the Big East, and the Big East can not stand by while that happens. If ESPN gives us the finger, bring an injunction to try and get a judge to invalidate that clause of the contract.

I think Nordy at Pitt has a huge fiduciary violation, but it is not worth the trouble.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
ESPN wants better content and more of it. Not sure how watering down the BE achieves that, other than possibly attracting ND football to ACC

Because ESPN wasn't going to get the Big East content....NBC/Comcast was. So if they kill off the Big East, they kill off the competition (NBC).

Reaction Score
If UCONN is the 16th then why cant UCONN be the 15th.? I dont get the logic

Reaction Score
If UCONN is the 16th then why cant UCONN be the 15th.? I dont get the logic
UConn is 16 if a ND or UT is 15. Could still be UConn and RU as 15/16, but now the ACC waits to see what transpires everywehre else. They are hedging their bet that the B1G and/or B12 will never offer UConn.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I say we get Scully and Mulder on it. It's the Cigarette Smoking Man that is behind all of this.
LOL. That guy was always one step ahead of the Marlboro man for candidate for lung cancer. I hope he got hazard pay for his role.

Ghz

Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone is surprised. The ACC has been living of fear of the SEC for some time now. Swofford wants to protect the ACC by landing a big whale of a program. That would be Texas or ND. He seems to be doing everything in his power to get ND.

1. kill off BE football so ND can't go there.
  2. Preemptively grab turf away from the B1G so you geographically appeal to ND.
  3. Create instability and panic to hasten the formation of four 16 team super conferences that could break away from the NCAA.
  4. Make ND pick a conference to get into post-NCAA football.
Rumors say ND prefers the ACC over the B1G right now, but the PAC, SEC, and B1G don't seem in any rush to get to 16, and there is no imminent threat of football schools leaving the NCAA. So the ACC will leave room for ND and wait it out. Maybe the SEC will go poach FSU or Clemson and we won't have to wait on ND for an invite.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone is surprised. The ACC has been living of fear of the SEC for some time now. Swofford wants to protect the ACC by landing a big whale of a program. That would be Texas or ND. He seems to be doing everything in his power to get ND.

1. kill off BE football so ND can't go there.
  2. Preemptively grab turf away from the B1G so you geographically appeal to ND.
  3. Create instability and panic to hasten the formation of four 16 team super conferences that could break away from the NCAA.
  4. Make ND pick a conference to get into post-NCAA football.
Rumors say ND prefers the ACC over the B1G right now, but the PAC, SEC, and B1G don't seem in any rush to get to 16, and there is no imminent threat of football schools leaving the NCAA. So the ACC will leave room for ND and wait it out. Maybe the SEC will go poach FSU or Clemson and we won't have to wait on ND for an invite.

I don't see ND ever going to the ACC. And even if the football schools leave the BE ND will probably stay in the BE and add Xavier and Dusquene and St Joes. This will be a compelling enough conference for them and still keep them in the drivers seat for their football contract. Swofford is just dreaming unrealistic dreams imo.

EDIT: I keep forgetting that the absence of the BE football schools eliminates the guarantee of a BCS bid for them. So they may be forced to find a conference if they want the BCS monies. And who knows if their NBC contract has clauses demanding this requirement. Good grief.

Reaction Score
Dream scenario:
Step one - cut a hole in the box by having the B1G step in and side swipe the whole thing by grabbing us, Rutgers, Kansas, and ND.
Step two - stick your junk in the box by the B12 grabbing WVU, UL, TCU, USF, UC while keeping OU & UT so all BE FB schools land safely, and
Step three - open up the box by having the SEC step in to grab FSU and VT from the ACC.

Reaction Score
Dream scenario:
Step one - cut a hole in the box by having the B1G step in and side swipe the whole thing by grabbing us, Rutgers, Kansas, and ND.
Step two - stick your junk in the box by the B12 grabbing WVU, UL, TCU, USF, UC while keeping OU & UT so all BE FB schools land safely, and
Step three - open up the box by having the SEC step in to grab FSU and VT from the ACC.
Wrong.

Step 1: everything you said.
Step 2: ?
Step 3: profit.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Dream scenario:
Dream four: Jim Boheim retires and Jamie Dixon leaves Pitt for Texas Tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom