Multi-year Extension for Ollie | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Multi-year Extension for Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
^are u out of your mind? signing any b10 school right now to a game is waving a white flag that will go down in history on this baord. .

I would rather not sacrifice a long-term deal for KO to get him on the cheap. If he had a 2-3 year lowball contract you know opposing coaches would say "he won't be at UConn in 2 years" to recruits. And nothing's preventing Warde from replacing PP after next year and bringing in "his" guy. Again, I would have prefered if we canned PP and promoted Brown, but if the deal is we get a new FB coach now in return for lowballing KO and destabilizing the MBB program, that's not a trade I would make.

what do u mean? the risk of signing him low for a year or 2 then going with a big deal? he singed him to a 1 year deal lol? i was only 7 months of becuase of when it started. it was basically a 1 year tryout. i'm lost. give him that deal for 2 years or 19 months what ever and tell him prove himself blah bla. fix fball and now this winter if u think u have seen enough then extend the deal 5 years or 4 on top of the 2 and give him the big $ then for those years. thats only kills recruiting for the same term he did now at worst and its a even longer deal and so on. warde went about it wrong and while ppl here are to nice with there money and things they love(like uconn sports) i won't be becuase its not responsible to be as a diehard fan.

Reaction Score
^are u out of your mind? signing any b10 school right now to a game is waving a white flag that will go down in history on this baord. .

SU and BC signed a longterm home and home deal. A few months later SU was in the ACC.

caw

Reaction Score
I just proved you wrong. Donovan's one year is similar to Ollie's 13? Donovan's 7 years as assistant and small program HC are similar to KOs 2 years where he wasn't even the lead assistant?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Curious but how many long time (10+ or 5+ years) NBA players even try to be head coaches in college? Usually they don't go into coaching and if they do, they go into NBA coaching. Sometimes they have limited experience before becoming a head coach sometimes they have a lot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Curious but how many long time (10+ or 5+ years) NBA players even try to be head coaches in college? Usually they don't go into coaching and if they do, they go into NBA coaching. Sometimes they have limited experience before becoming a head coach sometimes they have a lot.

HuskyHawk still doesn't want to address my examples of Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, or KC Jones either. It's not even a point that's worth discussing, so I'll stop now...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk still doesn't want to address my examples of Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, or KC Jones either. It's not even a point that's worth discussing, so I'll stop now...

Those are great examples of pro coaches. Look I am not saying it isn't possible. Hell, I sure hope KO becomes a HOF coach. The entire point is that people criticize WM for not giving KO a contract right away, even though he has no HC experience and little experience as an assistant (and not even the top assistant, unfortunately). So those detractors say "but he played 13 years in the league!". Well the point I'm making is that that means jack squat. It isn't a background that has shown to produce good college coaches in the past. It isn't a substitute for past coaching experience at lower levels of competition. Not even close. So I have no problem with WM wanting to see him actually run a team and a program for a couple months, since he's never done either of them in his life.

Kevin Ollie is a unique guy. He's special in a lot of ways. He's been given a great opportunity that wouldn't be given to somebody else. It's obvious that that's the case, since a fomer player in Hobbs, with more experience, was passed over. I'm thrilled to have Kevin as the coach and think he is exactly the right kind of leader for UConn at this moment. His calmer demeanor and less abrasive personality are a change from JC that was probably needed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
SU and BC signed a longterm home and home deal. A few months later SU was in the ACC.

things wern't dire back then like they are right now. a handful of teams have moved sionce then. that was the begining of the enxt round. would u be happy if we signed a deal with pitt right now? that would stink the acc is adding any time soon, do u want your fanbase to be thinking that?

Reaction Score
nelson, i have been saying this all along. above all other things u could have signed ko to a 2 or 3 years deal right away for cheap with a quick little buyout to cover your tail. after year 2 if everything is good then give him his payday. that $ saved asap could have bought the coaches out week 8 of the season or later and u could have gotten brown or a new staff depending on what u wanted to do. that was my stance all along and i still hold that it makes a lot more sense then the bull **** we have gone thru here the past 2 months. if p is fired next week i'll be happy for the school and my rooting interests just like yesterday with ko, but i'll be even mader if thats possible. that would show it was all about the $ when i just laid out another path to take if $ was a issue. and while the wait then all the coaches that are good were scooped up by other schools. doesn't matter tho as warde said p is coming abck and gdl to call plays but don tell fans that bs. but i still think no nvision led the uconn spending extra money for what they got as result. they have ko longterm for a certain price. he was never going anywhere, could have given him short term and fixed fball for about the same price. brutal vision.

A 2 year deal with a low buyout would have done nothing to improve the situation. Recruits and opposing coaches would have seen right through it.

And I'll also submit that the time lag had little to no effect on the value of his long term deal.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
His calmer demeanor and less abrasive personality are a change from JC that was probably needed.

This is something that I think we all can agree on...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A 2 year deal with a low buyout would have done nothing to improve the situation. Recruits and opposing coaches would have seen right through it.

And I'll also submit that the time lag had little to no effect on the value of his long term deal.

HFD and I have been right about this from the start. KO would have signed a 3 or even 5 year deal with a low buyout in September for a lot less than $1.4MM/year. I can guarantee that KO's agent let Manuel know that there are about 5 dead man walking coaches at major programs, and some of those programs had already reached out to KO's agent to gauge interest.

• If Ollie flopped, boosters, Calhoun and the ex-players would have blamed Warde for not giving him a chance.
  • Now that Ollie succeeded, it makes Warde look weak because he bet against Ollie and lost.
  • Ollie ended up costing more than he would have otherwise.
  • UConn lost several recruits.
  • Manuel was telling the world Ollie wasn't the long term answer at HC just as UConn was being evaluated for a life or death invitation to the ACC. In other words, Manuel was telling the ACC he was fine with Pasqualoni at HC for football and we had no HC for basketball at all. How was the ACC supposed to interpret those decisions?

There was no reason for Manuel to play it like this, other than the fact he is an amateur, and let a pissing match with Calhoun cloud his business judgment.

Reaction Score
No, you weren't right. And even if you were, what does it matter? Go invent a time machine because that is the only way being right matters. For the rest of the universe having to obey causality, being right in the past is meaningless other than trying to stroke your fragile ego in some sort of internet pissing match. So here is some advice, let go of worrying about being right, shut the duck up and move the duck on already. Right or wrong, you guys are making this board a crappier place because of the garbage you contribute. It is negative, ugly, obnoxious, redundant and tiring. There is a silver lining even for those who thought Ollie should have gotten a long term contract from the start but you are too blinded by your egos to see it. And let's not forget that some peopl actually dare to disagree with you. Some of them may actually be smarter and wiser than you. Uh oh, I just poked at those fragile egos again.....

Reaction Score
Those are great examples of pro coaches. Look I am not saying it isn't possible. Hell, I sure hope KO becomes a HOF coach. The entire point is that people criticize WM for not giving KO a contract right away, even though he has no HC experience and little experience as an assistant (and not even the top assistant, unfortunately). So those detractors say "but he played 13 years in the league!". Well the point I'm making is that that means jack squat. It isn't a background that has shown to produce good college coaches in the past. It isn't a substitute for past coaching experience at lower levels of competition. Not even close. So I have no problem with WM wanting to see him actually run a team and a program for a couple months, since he's never done either of them in his life.

Kevin Ollie is a unique guy. He's special in a lot of ways. He's been given a great opportunity that wouldn't be given to somebody else. It's obvious that that's the case, since a fomer player in Hobbs, with more experience, was passed over. I'm thrilled to have Kevin as the coach and think he is exactly the right kind of leader for UConn at this moment. His calmer demeanor and less abrasive personality are a change from JC that was probably needed.

I think as long as we note the "new recruit and player" as the reason the change in demeanor "may" be needed I could agree........I guess those who disliked the harshness of his ways at times also disliked the 3 NC's which these ways brought to all of us........

But again as along as we note this I can agree to an extent. But he will need to clamp down in his own way and I think he does and will...........

Reaction Score
HFD and I have been right about this from the start. KO would have signed a 3 or even 5 year deal with a low buyout in September for a lot less than $1.4MM/year. I can guarantee that KO's agent let Manuel know that there are about 5 dead man walking coaches at major programs, and some of those programs had already reached out to KO's agent to gauge interest.

• If Ollie flopped, boosters, Calhoun and the ex-players would have blamed Warde for not giving him a chance.
  • Now that Ollie succeeded, it makes Warde look weak because he bet against Ollie and lost.
  • Ollie ended up costing more than he would have otherwise.
  • UConn lost several recruits.
  • Manuel was telling the world Ollie wasn't the long term answer at HC just as UConn was being evaluated for a life or death invitation to the ACC. In other words, Manuel was telling the ACC he was fine with Pasqualoni at HC for football and we had no HC for basketball at all. How was the ACC supposed to interpret those decisions?
There was no reason for Manuel to play it like this, other than the fact he is an amateur, and let a pissing match with Calhoun cloud his business judgment.

Then we should just disband the men's basketball program. Actually, the whole athletics program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think as long as we note the "new recruit and player" as the reason the change in demeanor "may" be needed I could agree........I guess those who disliked the harshness of his ways at times also disliked the 3 NC's which these ways brought to all of us........

But again as along as we note this I can agree to an extent. But he will need to clamp down in his own way and I think he does and will...........

I never had any issues with Calhoun. But I think it is safe to say that some others, in the media, the NCAA etc. are not fond of him. UConn needs to polish it's image and Ollie is so squeaky clean that he doesn't provide a target for anyone.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lol, ko in time is going to shock some of u. hes a nice guy and a bit better media wise then jc, but come game time or practice when were all business on the court ko is nasty and a real tough guy. he leaves it all out there like jc he just does it a bit different. don't think he only speaks slow and nice like u saw pre contract to the media. in the huddle he is the real deal. i think some of u think hes in the huddle having tea with shabazz discussing the white house or something jesus.

Reaction Score
Why is it a bad thing if KO gets what he deserves? UConn is a top program and should pay their coaches accordingly.

I also don't see the criticism of waiting for the grades to roll through. It's not about whether or not KO cares about academics. It's obvious he does. But I'm sure they were observing how his influence as head coach played in the development of these young men not only as athletes but as students and citizens. I have a feeling we'll be pleasantly surprised with the APR numbers that come through here in the years. Given our current issues with APR numbers, I think it was completely appropriate to wait and see how the kids did.

It's clear KO was the guy all along. It works out for everyone. KO gets his big contract, UConn gets insurance of his worth as a coach and academic influence. And UConn's basketball team is better for it.

Herbst already took care of all APR issues with a simple stroke of her pen. Let's not delude ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom