Multi-talented Ines | The Boneyard

Multi-talented Ines

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The pressure on her must be tremendous. Consider a kid probably headed for a JUCO team and suddenly she's the staring point guard on a D1 contender.

It looks like the talent is there, she just needs to get a bit more game time under her belt. I suspect that the coaching staff is pleasantly surprised with how she has stepped up.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
We've referred to Inês as the "Portuguese guard" and repeatedly misspelled her name with a ‘z’ instead of ‘s’. Now finally we're giving her the respect she deserved the minute she signed on to play for UConn. Some of us even take the time to put the proper circumflex over the second vowel in her name (thanks @Sifaka and others for the help on that). “Baptism by fire” is not so bad if you can take the heat, and Inês sure can. Keep going Inês! You rock!

Reaction Score
Just goes to show it’s an ill wind that doesn’t blow someone some good
What could have been worse than a season killing ACL for Paige?
But, if that hadn’t occurred, no reason to go looking for help and no reason to bring Ines to UCONN
Can’t predict the future based on a small sample of play, but 4 years is a long time for a player to develop her skills. Especially if she’s not easily intimidated and doesn’t shrink from an unexpected challenge.
Maybe we’ve stumbled across a diamond in the rough.
Definitely worth the scholarship and the time and effort to show her how it’s done the Husky way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The pressure on her must be tremendous. Consider a kid probably headed for a JUCO team and suddenly she's the staring point guard on a D1 contender.

It looks like the talent is there, she just needs to get a bit more game time under her belt. I suspect that the coaching staff is pleasantly surprised with how she has stepped up.
Nobody is a star their first time out in anything. Ines will be fine. Just like Ayanna will be. She just needs a little time to settle in. The more she plays, the faster she settles in. Remember....... the first time she set foot on campus, EVERYTHING and EVERYONE was new to her. She committed to Geno WITHOUT ever visiting the campus. That's taking a huge leap of faith!!! ;)

Reaction Score
I like her quickness and I think that over time she can be a decent PG for us even if Nika goes down. She penetrates well and will have fewer turnovers with experience. I would bet she has a decent outside shot also. Defensively, she has quickness but she doesn't have the intensity level yet, but it was improved from the prior game and at least for the most part it was ok defense. She has the potential to improve. I hope she gets 5 minutes a game or so at least even in competitive games, spelling Nika.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
When I was a kid
piano GIF
I could play Chopsticks :rolleyes:

Reactions: KCD
Reaction Score
I agree. I think we've found a diamond in the rough. Let her spell Nika for some PT in each game, especially the Big East games. She will grow with time and experience. She has the heart!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Even if she continues to play very well, it's going to be tough for her to get minutes next year behind Paige, Nika, and KK Arnold. I wonder how that will work, unless of course injuries solve the problem before Geno has a chance to do so.

Reaction Score
Even if she continues to play very well, it's going to be tough for her to get minutes next year behind Paige, Nika, and KK Arnold. I wonder how that will work, unless of course injuries solve the problem before Geno has a chance to do so.
Paige and Nika are out of here after next season and Fudd the year after that, so we'll need guards. By her junior year she could be playing lots of minutes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good question Joe. Remember, she was brought in at the last minute for “insurance.” Insurance that is paying off right now. My understanding is she was to be a backup player, not a primary player (starter). So it could be that she will remain in that role getting minutes when and where she can.

We don’t know what Geno sold her or what she bought during her recruitment. Don’t forget about Azzi. That’s four guards in front of her. I expect the Ines Bettencourt we’ll see this time next year won’t resemble the one we see now. She’ll know the system and will have cleaned up the turn overs.

Reaction Score
I am really enjoying the interjection of the bench into real time playing. Ines is an enjoyment to watch. I am also looking forward to seeing the young lady from Egypt when she joins the team. These foreign country players are a very good add to the UConn Team and I hope that this continues into the future.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Paige and Nika are out of here after next season and Fudd the year after that, so we'll need guards. By her junior year she could be playing lots of minutes.
True, but with next years team second string time will begin with the 4th quarter. Ines will gain valuable time then, and become increasingly valuable.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I like her quickness and I think that over time she can be a decent PG for us even if Nika goes down. She penetrates well and will have fewer turnovers with experience. I would bet she has a decent outside shot also. Defensively, she has quickness but she doesn't have the intensity level yet, but it was improved from the prior game and at least for the most part it was ok defense. She has the potential to improve. I hope she gets 5 minutes a game or so at least even in competitive games, spelling Nika.
Obviously has a skill set. She'll benefit from continued weight training. She'll see a lot of iso post-ups until she gets a little stronger. She showed us all something in that MD game, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom