Mulkey to LSU | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Mulkey to LSU

Reaction Score
The comment wasn’t about Dawn’s willingness to play to teams. It was the inference that “top teams need to play Dawn- specifically Muffet and Kim”
Now our SC colleague also intimidated all the other top teams play SC which also is not correct. With the spreading of the top talent AND the depth of talent continuing to grow, creating a more stratified top 10-15 group of teams, it will be impossible for all the top teams to play each other. When it was on 4, 5 or 6 teams regularly (think Stanford, UConn, ND, Baylor and SC; or in ‘05-14 era of Substituting Tenn for SC) it was easier for those squads to play.
Now add Oregon, Texas A&M, Texas, Arizona, Oregon State (why does he get a pass on his scheduling?), Maryland and UCLA to name just a few who have all done well in the NCAAT and in conference play, it’s that much more spread out. I would argue it’s easier to schedule good teams as there are so many now. To say any one of those teams HAS to play Dawn is silly.

FACT CHECK:

The comment in question:

Mulkey and Muffett were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn so looks like we got all the bases covered now.

Welcome to the SEC. Congrats LSU. Condolences to Baylor.

I left out all SEC opponents, which would be scheduled by the conference office and not by either coaching staff:

Stanford: 1-5 (1-4) - 2 games were NCAAT games (1-1), the other 4 were scheduled very early in Staley's time at USC [08-09 - Staley's 1st year as HC: a home and away was already scheduled under the Susan Walvius regime, and this was the final game of that series (the 1st was played at Stanford in the 06-07 season), but due to their relationship another H & A was scheduled for 10-11 and 12-13, with a NCAAT SS played in 11-12, and 2 FFs played in 16-17 and 20-21]

Connecticut: 1-9 (1-8) - another series that was begun prior to Staley by the Walvius Regime, the 1st game played in 07-08, then the 2nd played in Staley's first year as HC. But Staley would schedule annually from 14-15 through 20-21, with 1 NCAAT EE game played in 17-18

Oregon: 2-0 (0-0) - both games prior to Staley, but Staley DID have a game scheduled with Oregon to open the 20-21 season, that was cancelled due to covid-19, by all media reports.

Texas: 2-2 (2-0) - Both games under Staley were not games her staff would have scheduled - a SEC-Big12 Challenge game in 16-17, and a NCAAT EE game in 20-21.

Arizona: N/A - We've played 0 games against Arizona - we've played 4 against Arizona St., with 2 of those under Staley.

Oregon State: 2-1 (2-1) - Two NCAAT 2nd RD gms in 13-14 and 20-21 around a 18-19 early-season tournament game - Staley's staff has to schedule those tournaments, so Staley's staff schedules those games.

Maryland: 2-2 (2-1) - All 3 games under Staley were regular-season schedules. As with Oregon, there was preliminarily a game scheduled for the 20-21 season that was cancelled due to covid-19.

UCLA: 2-1* (2-0) - (* 80-81 win by then 10th-ranked Gamecocks was forfeited due to NCAA sanctions for ineligible player, and is officially recorded as a loss for USC) - both wins were due to a H & A series scheduled by Staley in 15-16 & 16-17. This was after USC's A'ja Wilson 2014 class which was ranked #2 nationally, behind UCLA's #1 class.

Others not mentioned:

North Carolina: 8-11 (2-4) - all games under Staley were played on neutral courts, the last two were NCAAT SS games in 13-14 and 14-15. The other games were in a USC-UNC rivalry game held in Myrtle Beach, SC. The first two of those UNC was a top 10 ranked team, top 25 for all but one of them.

Ohio State: 3-2 (2-0) - Scheduled H & A by Staley in 15-16 & 16-17. Ohio State was top 10 ranked for both games.

Duke: 5-2 (4-1) - All 5 games under Staley were regular-season schedules: Duke was top 10 ranked in 14-15, and top 15 in 15-16 and 17-18. The 18-19 game was cancelled (officially "postponed", but never rescheduled) due to weather.

Xavier: 1-2 (1-1) - The two games under Staley was a H & A scheduled in 10-11 and 11-12 with former longtime Atlantic 10 rival while at Temple. The first game Xavier was ranked 5th nationally pre-season, and was ranked 5th on game day.

North Carolina State: 11-20 (3-2) - two H & A series back-to-back from 08-09 through 11-12, then a fill-in date for 20-21 due to cancellations with other opponents. Not sure if future dates have been or will be scheduled. NC State was 8th nationally pre-season, and was ranked 8th on game day.

The teams in question:

Baylor: 1-2 (1-2) - One game played in the SEC/Big12 Challenge in 18-19, one played in the NCAAT SS that same season, and one played in an early season tournament in 19-20.

Notre Dame: 2-3 (0-3) - All 3 games played under Staley and McGraw were on neutral floors: an early-season tournament in 2009-10, a NCAAT FF in 15-16, and an early-season tournament in 17-18.

CONCLUSION:

The statement that the above comment inferred that “top teams need to play Dawn- specifically Muffet and Kim” cannot be objectively derived from the above comment that Mulkey and Muffet "were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn". Giving an appearance - to one's opinion - of not wanting to schedule Dawn is mutually exclusive from NEEDING to schedule Dawn.

Conversely, Mulkey and Muffet could give the appearance of actually WANTING to schedule Dawn very badly, and it STILL would not equate to the apparent NEED of them scheduling Dawn. So BOTH polar opposites of Gamecockfan77's opinion fail to support DefenseBB's response to that opinion.

Further, research shows that Dawn Staley and HAS scheduled against Muffet McGraw and Kim Mulkey, albeit indirectly via early-season invitational tournaments. But not directly via regular-season non-tournament games on their own floors. The knowledge that any of the coaches knew beforehand that the other team was committed to playing in the respective tournaments is unknown.

But that research ALSO shows that of the top programs mentioned by DefenseBB - as well as other teams that meet DefenseBB's criteria - the only teams that have not scheduled games directly with Dawn Staley's South Carolina since her initial season of 2008-09, are Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, and Arizona.

Of these 4, only Arizona has the argument of not belonging, as they've only reached top 10 rank status for 2020-21 alone, was just outside of the top 10 in 2019-20, and has been unranked for several seasons prior to that. Arizona State has been ranked in the top 25 more often over the previous 5-6 seasons than Arizona has.

FINAL VERDICT:

We find the statement from DefenseBB that "the comment wasn’t about Dawn’s willingness to play [to] teams. It was the inference that “top teams need to play Dawn- specifically Muffet and Kim” to be FALSE.

politifact_photos_False_Truth-O-Meter.jpg

First, we make the logical assertion that DefenseBB meant to say "Dawn's willingness to play top teams". Then based on our findings, we conclude that Gamecock77's comment shows no connection between "wanting" to play Dawn, and "needing" to play Dawn, as DefenseBB's comment suggests. Further, Gamecock77 has tried in subsequent posts to explain his statement as NOT making that connection, or inference as DefenseBB argued. Finally, a review of scheduling history of games by Dawn Staley's South Carolina team, supports Gamecock77's position more than it does DefenseBB's position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Louisville faced us in a neutral site matchup. The Naismith game maybe. I count that as scheduled rather than a tournament. Maybe I shouldn't.

I didn't think about Oregon State.

I don't think anyone has to schedule us or is scared to schedule us or that it is our due for anyone to schedule us.

I just like facing all the big names and I'm happy that Mulkey will be on the schedule now. That's it.

We can get down to the insults and bad blood once Mulkey starts coaching games. It can wait.

Reaction Score
There is one thing that might have added to the perfect storm of Events. It looks like she might get a very sweet Louisiana state employee pension. She had 15 years of service at Louisiana Tech. Assuming she puts in 5 more years of service at LSU and she had contributed 7.5% of her salary in all the years she spent as a state employee. The retirement formula would be "2.5% times creditable years of service (inclusive of leave credit) times the average salary for your thirty-six highest successive months". Say her new base salary is $2 million and the rest performance bonuses. That would be a $1 million yearly state pension that she only gets if she works at a Louisiana state position! (info from Louisiana State Employees Retirement System (LASERS) ). Alternatively she could be covered by a plan from TIAA, and the specifics of that plan don't seem to be available.

Now she also worked 21 years at Baylor and she is over 55. It looks like she will also be covered by a retirement pension from Baylor! Assuming the same type of formula, she might be getting $1 million a year from Baylor.

So, go home to Louisiana, work for 5 more years, and then possibly get $2 million a year in retirement from TWO pensions. No wonder she left Baylor!
Whether or not Kim qualifies for the lifetime pension based on the formula you described will depend on whether or not she left her 15 years worth of personal contributions in Lasers (Louisiana State Employee Retirement system) after she departed LaTech. If she did, and fulfills 20 years of service, she will be eligible for a handsome lifetime pension based on her high three years of salary

Baylor is a private school, and offers it’s employees participation in a 403(b)/401(k) program, which is matched at a certain percentage based on the classification of the employee. No pension exists that is similar to the Lasers plan that was in effect when Kim was hired at LaTech.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Whether or not Kim qualifies for the lifetime pension based on the formula you described will depend on whether or not she left her 15 years worth of personal contributions in Lasers (Louisiana State Employee Retirement system) after she departed LaTech. If she did, and fulfills 20 years of service, she will be eligible for a handsome lifetime pension based on her high three years of salary

Baylor is a private school, and offers it’s employees participation in a 403(b)/401(k) program, which is matched at a certain percentage based on the classification of the employee. No pension exists that is similar to the Lasers plan that was in effect when Kim was hired at LaTech.
I love your user name! :)

And welcome :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

First, we make the logical assertion that DefenseBB meant to say "Dawn's willingness to play top teams". Then based on our findings, we conclude that Gamecock77's comment shows no connection between "wanting" to play Dawn, and "needing" to play Dawn, as DefenseBB's comment suggests. Further, Gamecock77 has tried in subsequent posts to explain his statement as NOT making that connection, or inference as DefenseBB argued. Finally, a review of scheduling history of games by Dawn Staley's South Carolina team, supports Gamecock77's position more than it does DefenseBB's position.
Ok, let's actually look at the whole dialogue so you can follow 1+1+1=3
1. Your esteemed Gamecock colleague posted on #203 page 9 "Mulkey and Muffett were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn so looks like we got all the bases covered now."
2. Your esteemed Gamecock colleague then posted #216 page 9 "I just said that they were the only two powers that didn't schedule Dawn in non-conference.

I didn't mean to insinuate they were scared, just apparently uninterested."
Where he incorrectly omitted his word "WANT"

The inference is all Major coaches should "want" to schedule SC and or should be "interested" in scheduling SC.

3. This prompted me to say in #225 "Duly noted, but so what? ND played and plays a pretty good OOC, Kim seems a tad light but has played UConn sporadically over the years.
Is Dawn all of a sudden a squad teams need to aspire to play?"

And I stand by that assertion, there is NO FALSE component. Also note how "pithy of a response mine is vs. your complete and utter rambling of mis-facts and tangential thought. There was no discussion on Dawn wanting to play anyone...

I know now with Cardoso to SC, the collective Gamecock fandom wants the rest of the WCBB universe to "All hail to Dawn" as the mighty Queen that all need to aspire but color me skeptical until she actually wins a few more titles ON THE COURT to EARN that mantra and the logic that all team should want and be interested in scheduling SC.

Reaction Score
Ok, let's actually look at the whole dialogue so you can follow 1+1+1=3
1. Your esteemed Gamecock colleague posted on #203 page 9 "Mulkey and Muffett were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn so looks like we got all the bases covered now."
2. Your esteemed Gamecock colleague then posted #216 page 9 "I just said that they were the only two powers that didn't schedule Dawn in non-conference.

I didn't mean to insinuate they were scared, just apparently uninterested."
Where he incorrectly omitted his word "WANT"

The inference is all Major coaches should "want" to schedule SC and or should be "interested" in scheduling SC.

3. This prompted me to say in #225 "Duly noted, but so what? ND played and plays a pretty good OOC, Kim seems a tad light but has played UConn sporadically over the years.
Is Dawn all of a sudden a squad teams need to aspire to play?"

And I stand by that assertion, there is NO FALSE component. Also note how "pithy of a response mine is vs. your complete and utter rambling of mis-facts and tangential thought. There was no discussion on Dawn wanting to play anyone...

I know now with Cardoso to SC, the collective Gamecock fandom wants the rest of the WCBB universe to "All hail to Dawn" as the mighty Queen that all need to aspire but color me skeptical until she actually wins a few more titles ON THE COURT to EARN that mantra and the logic that all team should want and be interested in scheduling SC.
SMH.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
People have this strange obsession with wanting decisions to boil down to a single factor. Do they ever? Was it solely about money? Was it solely about going back to LA? Of course not.
I think a big part was the Baylor men winning a title. Overnight the WBB program isn't as special. So she moves to a school where she can be a big dog again.

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has been posted already..Has LSU released any names of WHO might be on Kim’s staff?

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has been posted already..Has LSU released any names of WHO might be on Kim’s staff?
She is bringing Johnny Derrick, Jennifer Roberts, Jordin Westbrook, Kaylin Rice and Daphne Mitchell from her staff at Baylor to LSU. Rice is the only assistant at this time, rest is support staff. I'm assuming Messer will join if she doesn't get the Baylor job. Brock probably is staying in Texas so Kim will be looking for an assistant or assistants depending on what happens.

Reaction Score
I think a big part was the Baylor men winning a title. Overnight the WBB program isn't as special. So she moves to a school where she can be a big dog again.
Nah. Bad blood had been brewing for awhile. And it’s not like wcbb will be the star at LSU.

Reaction Score
Just maybe the AD made a big thing about this could have been the first time in school history that BOTH the Men & Women’s BB could have or should have been in the FF...
just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
Nah. Bad blood had been brewing for awhile. And it’s not like wcbb will be the star at LSU.
Even if LSU wins a natty in WBB, they will never be "top dog" at LSU. That said, LSU fans supports winners, there is a large base in Louisiana who actually are passionate about WBB, they will turn out if the program is doing well. The product in recent years Nikki Fargas put on the floor was so bad that donations and attendance dipped pretty badly. After the press conference Monday, they already have over 3,000 season ticket deposits already. LSU averaged barely over a thousand in attendance under Nikki the last few years.

Gymnastics averages over 10,000 fans a meet now given their success in recent years, plus they really are fun to watch.

Overall6617.jpg

Reaction Score
Even if LSU wins a natty in WBB, they will never be "top dog" at LSU. That said, LSU fans supports winners, there is a large base in Louisiana who actually are passionate about WBB, they will turn out if the program is doing well. The product in recent years Nikki Fargas put on the floor was so bad that donations and attendance dipped pretty badly. After the press conference Monday, they already have over 3,000 season ticket deposits already. LSU averaged barely over a thousand in attendance under Nikki the last few years.

Gymnastics averages over 10,000 fans a meet now given their success in recent years, plus they really are fun to watch.

Overall6617.jpg
Well said. LSU is a premier program for sports. If that sport doing good. The support will be there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Fagan says Kim tried to get ESPN to fire her.

Reaction Score
"She might not even be the dark horse. She might just be the No. 1 person in sports that is terrifying."

WHAT?!?!

I'm kinda shocked a sportswriter would say that. There are many coaches, esp CFB ones, who have far far far more power and will/have used it.

She should know way better.

Seems a bit sexist to me.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"She might not even be the dark horse. She might just be the No. 1 person in sports that is terrifying."

WHAT?!?!

I'm kinda shocked a sportswriter would say that. There are many coaches, esp CFB ones, who have far far far more power and will/have used it.

She should know way better.

Seems a bit sexist to me.
Perhaps the perspective is that the ones that you least expect to be _______ are the ones that are the most, and those are the ones that are sometimes overlooked. Women can be just as brutal, terrifying, cruel, etc as men.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the perspective is that the ones that you least expect to be _______ are the ones that are the most, and those are the ones that are sometimes overlooked. Women can be just as brutal, terrifying, cruel, etc as men.
Least expect? It's been clear for years if not decades that Kim is no shrinking violet.
But Kim has little power compared to a zillion other coaches. The notion that she's the person to be most feared is laughable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom