Mulkey suspended for 1 postseason game | The Boneyard

Mulkey suspended for 1 postseason game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Weird, I had just been rereading the Lville-Baylor recap on ESPN and musing over how blunt Mulkey's assessment of the officiating had been, even with the huge disparity of fouls called against the Cards.

'Mulkey criticized the game officials, saying she didn't care if she got fined. ....
"I thought the game started out way too physical, way too physical. I thought that all three of them, if they go past this round of officiating, it will be sad for the game." '

Yeah that kind of sour whine usually earns a pretty harsh reaction. Guess it will be a bit sad for the game in the tourney that the Bears start out with next year.

I think the NCAA is really getting her for the strip show, though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm curious where ETT thinks Baylor will be in the rankings - I think they will struggle to be in the top 20. Probably in the top 25 or so by the end of the year, even with Simms. They just lost way too much. They get Iesia Small and Imani Wright coming in, and they should be solid, but won't be instant impact players (not as good as Banks was as a freshman and we saw how she struggled at times)...

I forgot to add that even if they are "only" a top 25 team, they still should easily get past the 1st round even without Mulkey...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'm curious where ETT thinks Baylor will be in the rankings - I think they will struggle to be in the top 20. Probably in the top 25 or so by the end of the year, even with Simms. They just lost way too much. They get Iesia Small and Imani Wright coming in, and they should be solid, but won't be instant impact players (not as good as Banks was as a freshman and we saw how she struggled at times)...

I wouldn't underestimate Simms just yet, however at the end of the day it will be the team chemistry that will make or break their next season. IMO

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wouldn't underestimate Simms just yet, however at the end of the day it will be the team chemistry that will make or break their next season. IMO
You may well be correct, but I keep thinking that they lost 4 starters, 71+% of their scoring, and also lost a bench player who was in their top 4 in scoring (either Pope or Williams depending on which one started). And Griner was the ultimate center in WCBB. Even in the Big 12 I could see them struggling with 4 or 5 teams in their conference not to mention the brain fart type of games they will have.

Don't get me wrong - Simms is terrific. And I'm not familiar with what all their opponents lost to graduation or bring in next year, but WVU, Oklahoma, and Texas could give them problems next season. who knows tho - maybe with Prince and Simms and the rest of the supporting cast they may be better than I think...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Definitely will take a while to work in the new D. Sims should be a good focal point as she can do just about everything on offense, but her 2.7 assist\TO ratio and the team's 1.3 average are going way down without Griner to lob the ball to.

Reaction Score
"Mulkey’s misconduct led the committee to issue her a one-game NCAA postseason championship suspension as well as the withholding of Baylor’s team championship per diem during the regional round of play."

I understand the first part about the postseason championship suspension..... i.e. one game during the NCAA tournament, but what does it mean when it says withholding of Baylor's team championship per diem during the regional round of play?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
They get Iesia Small and Imani Wright coming in, and they should be solid, but won't be instant impact players (not as good as Banks was as a freshman and we saw how she struggled at times)...
Mulkey...[/quote]

Erik, I don't know if this is revisionist history but I thought Banks was pretty awful in her Freshman year.
Astonishing improvement until the injury.

Reaction Score
They get Iesia Small and Imani Wright coming in, and they should be solid, but won't be instant impact players (not as good as Banks was as a freshman and we saw how she struggled at times)...
Mulkey...

Erik, I don't know if this is revisionist history but I thought Banks was pretty awful in her Freshman year.
Astonishing improvement until the injury.[/quote]

I agree with you msf. Banks was an okay player her freshman year. I actually was fearful she would have limited playing time, then she started her sophomore season and was on fire.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I understand the first part about the postseason championship suspension..... i.e. one game during the NCAA tournament, but what does it mean when it says withholding of Baylor's team championship per diem during the regional round of play?

The NCAA pays a lot of teams' expenses during the tournament (or they couldn't participate. Huge costs). NCAA is saying Baylor must bear the cost.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
ONLY took the NCAA 3 months for the comments to meet her punishment.

Obviously you're horrified. Do you know the process? How often folks meet? Ya think they may have had other more important issues on their docket?

After you get over your outrage at the timeline, what do you think about the language and the punishment meted out?

Reaction Score
"The suspension shall apply to the next NCAA postseason opportunity that Mulkey will have as a coach, regardless of what institution she represents."

Could she be leaving Baylor ?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
"The suspension shall apply to the next NCAA postseason opportunity that Mulkey will have as a coach, regardless of what institution she represents."

Could she be leaving Baylor ?

The implication is that they are ensuring that Kim will bear this portion of the punishment, and not Baylor. The intent is for her to review and correct her behaviour.

Reaction Score
I don't carry a brief for Coach Mulkey but, if L'Ville had played as "chippy" against us as they did against Baylor, I think Geno and CD would STILL be fuming.

In addition to rattling the team's composure, they took the coach out too.

Weird, I had just been rereading the Lville-Baylor recap on ESPN and musing over how blunt Mulkey's assessment of the officiating had been, even with the huge disparity of fouls called against the Cards.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't carry a brief for Coach Mulkey but, if L'Ville had played as "chippy" against us as they did against Baylor, I think Geno and CD would STILL be fuming.

In addition to rattling the team's composure, they took the coach out too.

While I appreciate myth making as much as anyone, look at the game again. It was chippy in the first 8 minutes. The refs took over, but Lvlle hit threes and Baylor couldn't counter... and even with that, Baylor almost won.

It wasn't the physicality. It was the threes. And not getting back on defense in the last seconds.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Specifically, Mulkey made disparaging comments about the officials during the postgame press conference following Baylor’s regional semifinal loss to Louisville on March 31 at the Oklahoma City Regional."

Maybe if every coach had the bells to publically criticize the crappy WCBB officiating the NCAA might have to improve it. Instead the NCAA imposes a gag rule on the coaches and nothing changes.

Kudos for Mulkey.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Funny. When BG body-slams Stef to the floor, or clotheslines somebody, it's not "way too physical, way too physical". It comes down to what it usually does - just who's ox is being gored.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
While I appreciate myth making as much as anyone, look at the game again. It was chippy in the first 8 minutes. The refs took over, but Lvlle hit threes and Baylor couldn't counter... and even with that, Baylor almost won.

It wasn't the physicality. It was the threes. And not getting back on defense in the last seconds.
Most certainly the refs took over and removed most of the Cards who could score from the game except Slaughter who the Bears were finally keeping an eye on out at the perimeter, and they called some ridiculous fouls on the Cards too. About the only one left to take the last shot was the creaky-kneed Monique Reid that no Bear thought would drive to the basket. So basically the Bears were handed the game, but they dropped the gift. Even if Griner may possibly have gotten all ball on the Reid shot, both she and Pope got in a lot of body while knocking her down.

So why was there so much squawking for the poor Bears who simply didn't adjust as they should have when teams get chippy and start burying 3s, which is not an uncommon thing to happen in WCBB games? Happens to UConn fairly often. And I'm guessing that if anyone in the posts above can answer for me how refereeing will magically improve if an NC-winning coach goes off on the refs after the games, I'll at least be 1% convinced. In reality, that just has a whole lot of potential for a coach to put a lot of fear and intimidation into the refs for the next game and have them maybe award that coach some game-winning calls at the end of big games. Or maybe that's the old Pat answer.

HGN

Reaction Score
Does anyone know which post season game Mulkey is to sit out ?? First (1st) round game of Big 12 Conference Tournament , 2nd round game of NCAA Tournament ? Which post season is the NCAA referring to?

Reaction Score
The NCAA pays a lot of teams' expenses during the tournament (or they couldn't participate. Huge costs). NCAA is saying Baylor must bear the cost.

Just for that one game? WOW... hotels, travel, etc. Watch them have home games....
By the way... thanks for the answer.....

Reaction Score
Does anyone know which post seasongame Mulkey is to sit out ?? First (1st) round game of Big 12 Conference Tournament , 2nd round game of NCAA Tournament ? Which post season is the NCAA referring to?

I could be mistaken but I would take it to mean the NCAA tournament and not the Big 12. I would also assume it would be a first round game as to send the message but not make it so that the coaching change could be used as an excuse for the team losing. If it was a sweet 16 game and they bench Mulkey and then Baylor lost you would never hear the end of it. The fans, Mulkey, the kids and their family... etc.

It would have to be that first game I would think....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
They had to give her a suspension due to the way she called out the officials. They had to make an example of her. With the crappy officiating in women's college basketball, the NCAA had to make a statement in response to such a high-profile criticism. Let this go, and you may see more coaches speaking out on how bad the refs are throughout the year.

If you think about it, the penalty is almost painless -- anyone in here could coach Baylor to a first-round win in the NCAA's next year.

And on the upside she showed her team, fans and recruits that she has the balls to stand up for what she believes is right -- even knowing that there would be penalties. I think that strengthens bonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom