Mulkey Post-game | The Boneyard

Mulkey Post-game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Just watched Kim's post game comments and thought she was composed and gracious. Admitted they had a chance if they'd only made the chippies they missed. I guess being suspended for the first game of this years tournament had the effect the NCAA wanted.

Reaction Score
Just watched Kim's post game comments and thought she was composed and gracious. Admitted they had a chance if they'd only made the chippies they missed. I guess being suspended for the first game of this years tournament had the effect the NCAA wanted.

I am a UC fan forever but I have to say the refs did affect the outcome of that game.I lost count of how many times a foul was called but it was everty time someone breathed.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

yeah, I guess "whistle-blower" laws don't apply to comments about the folks blowin' da whistles ...:rolleyes:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm sure they refs impacted the game -- that's why, when that Irish player went to the bench early, Notre Dame fell apart.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
When I saw the status of UCONN/TAMU game, and UC was 2-2 from the line, hubby and I just laughed after seeing ND 29-31 or something ridiculous.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
When I saw the status of UCONN/TAMU game, and UC was 2-2 from the line, hubby and I just laughed after seeing ND 29-31 or something ridiculous.
Actually, 30-33.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they refs impacted the game -- that's why, when that Irish player went to the bench early, Notre Dame fell apart.

The refs surely impacted the game -- key players for both players on the bench, tons of fouls in a game that didnt seem to be overly physical, and a probable record number of charge calls.

Whether they impacted the final outcome is a different story. But they definitely impacted the game and that's unfortunate when a trip to the final 4 is on the line.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The refs surely impacted the game -- key players for both players on the bench, tons of fouls in a game that didnt seem to be overly physical, and a probable record number of charge calls.

Whether they impacted the final outcome is a different story. But they definitely impacted the game and that's unfortunate when a trip to the final 4 is on the line.

I agree. The momentum of the game certainly changed with the 2 calls on Sims and the Mulkey technical. The charge call on Sims occurred with about 14 mins left and ND up by 5. Baylor was making a run and had ND back on its heels. ND scored on the ensuing possession and then came the push-off call on Sims that led to Mulkey's technical. The lead grew to 9 and although Baylor then cut it to 7, that's as close at they could get.

Baylor wasn't playing well enough to sustain its momentum and beat Notre Dame, but those couple of minutes were tough to watch.

Reaction Score

If a Uconn game is called like this they could be in trouble. I would say the style of play of these teams, especially ND does lend to many fouls as they are very aggressive to the hole. Even after McBride had 2 fouls she kept on charging to the hoop. If they meet Uconn they know they will need to get them in foul trouble. The refs at the Uconn game let the game and flow play on making it nicer to watch. I remember a A&M player running into Steph and it was a play on. The ND game refs would have called it. Lets see what refs get to do the final 4.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I hope they won't have such important games with home court advantage anymore. That's just not fair. Neutral courts for the Sweet 17 and Elite 8 are crucial.

Reaction Score

The second foul call on McBride when she was trying to post up was a joke. The first foul was her own fault cause she was out of control and tried to force things.

They need to let these girls have 6 fouls a game if they're going to call fouls like that. They have to keep the key players in the game to keep them watchable.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think teams need to take some responsibility for how officiating goes in any game, and I think the Uconn/A&M game while being very physical according to the players, was also being played by both teams straight up - not trying to involve the officiating by jumping into players offensively. Both Baylor and ND play very differently in general looking for contact on almost every offensive set, and accentuating any contact they get or even that they anticipate getting but never happens. :rolleyes: When teams play that way, it is hard to blame refs from calling fouls even though it makes for ugly viewing. the best officials do identify what is real and what is not, but ...
That said ... in a situation where you have only 4 show case games in two days it is a little disturbing to think that you could not find 12 officials better than three working in South Bend. And I thought the officials in Lincoln were with the exception of a few 'what the duck' moments were actually really good. And I think the four teams there helped the officials out by playing straight with them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The officiating has had me longing for Bonita.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The second foul call on McBride when she was trying to post up was a joke. The first foul was her own fault cause she was out of control and tried to force things.

They need to let these girls have 6 fouls a game if they're going to call fouls like that. They have to keep the key players in the game to keep them watchable.

great idea 6 fouls

I think ESPN is going to talk to the NCAA about all the calls, and how it is adding to the time of the game......... schedules are getting screwed up. The "freedom of movement" rules are destroying the game.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure that Mackenzie and her boyfriend are happy that the whole world knows about the ample athletic genes of their future children :)

That was indeed a strange moment.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I didnt like the way the game was called. Way to many fouls. How many times will you play ND with McBride and Achonwa on the bench in foul trouble? Baylor had the game handed to them. Guard Lloyd and play their game. They didnt. It looked to me like Baylor panicked. To fast, out of control at times and silly fouls. How bout no fast break defense. Lloyd goes off and the game is over. Where was the poised point guard? Where was the leadership? Why is KM acting like a fan screaming and yelling at every play instead of calming her team down and getting them to play under control. Baylor IMO blew it. They had a great chance with ND in foul trouble and lost the lead. The only option Lloyd went off. Come on are you kidding me. They couldnt stop her and only her.
Now we wait to hear about Achonwa. Great player. Shes come along way. Im hoping its contagious with Canadian kids and Kia Nurse. If she cant play Lville should have a chance.

Reaction Score
I am a UC fan forever but I have to say the refs did affect the outcome of that game.I lost count of how many times a foul was called but it was everty time someone breathed.

Sad to say, but I agree. The entire game I was saying to myself, "please don't let me see anyone of these 3 idiots officiating the UCONN game in the FF." It is impossible to call a game perfectly, but that was just awful officiating. Both coaches made mild comments. Heck even the commentators did as well. ESPN was poking fun of the bad calls.

Does anyone know if officials get penalized by the NCAA for bad calls/games?

Reaction Score
Terrible game for the refs..... they really changed the trajectory of the game..... but Baylor, I mean Man Oh Man.... the count at how many layups they missed.... i think it was 20-25.... an incredible number.....

Reaction Score
Sad to say, but I agree. The entire game I was saying to myself, "please don't let me see anyone of these 3 idiots officiating the UCONN game in the FF." It is impossible to call a game perfectly, but that was just awful officiating. Both coaches made mild comments. Heck even the commentators did as well. ESPN was poking fun of the bad calls.

Does anyone know if officials get penalized by the NCAA for bad calls/games?

I would assume all refs are evaluated based on performance.
But if the refs aren't competent, who's to say that the refs bosses are?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The parts I watched early - Davis just had a nightmare. And Baylor has a better shooting percentage from fifteen feet out than they did on lay-ups which they shot at about 5% for the first ten minutes.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This game was decided by Baylor missing shots....pure and simple. You cannot miss that many layups and expect to beat a great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom