Mulkey bests Geno | The Boneyard

Mulkey bests Geno

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That's great! Now all she needs to do is win another 9 championships in the next 16 games and she's right there. All joking aside, I like Mulkey and can only congratulate her for this great achievement.

Reaction Score
Geno started with a way lesser-achieving team than Kim did.

After three seasons at UConn, Auriemma/Dailey had won 43 of 82 games.
After three seasons at Baylor, Mulkey had won 72 of 98 games.s
Kim had a BIG HEAD START!
The difference is 29 games. So, since each of their first three seasons, Kim is 13 games won BEHIND Geno/Chris.

Baylor DID stink up the place in 1999-2000, the year before Kim arrived, going 7-20. But Baylor had winning records in the three preceding seasons.

UConn, on the other hand, had losing records - never winning more than nine games - for the four years prior to Geno's (and Chris's) arrival in 1985-1986. Further, UConn only had ONE winning season ever, 16-14 in 1980-1981, prior to the Geno/Chris era.

Also, Baylor was a prominent feature on the national college sports scene in several sports prior to Kim's first year. And since. That had to help her recruiting efforts, along with the fame she carried from her illustrious playing/coaching career at Louisiana Tech, including one national championship.

UConn, however, wasn't a blip on the national college sports radar screen before Auriemma/Dailey in any sport, both Geno and Chris were national no-names, so they started recruiting from Ground Zero, so to speak.

Neither Baylor nor UConn had ever played in the NCAA Tournament prior to Mulkey's arrival at Baylor or Auriemma's/Dailey's arrival at UConn.

Baylor went 21-9 in Kim's first year and made the NCAA Tournament (first round loss).
UConn had a (the only) losing record at 12-15 in Geno's/Chris's first year and didn't make the NCAA Tournament until their fourth year when UConn went 24-9 in 1988-1989 (first round loss).

I have great respect for Kim Mulkey's coaching and recruiting ability, but the fact that she made it to 600 victories 16 games faster than Geno/Chris is a more a product of the condition of their respective programs at the onset of their tenures than an indication of comparative coaching competence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A big help to be in a state with over 5 times the population of Connecticut. Most building programs start with getting in-state players. For reasons I will not state, I do not like Mulkey, but she is, obviously, a very good coach.

Reaction Score
1. Different WCBB atmosphere.
2. Mulkey, at the beginning of her coaching tenure, had huge name recognition as a player and as a coach from a major WCBB power.
3. She is recruiting in much more fertile WBB territory
4. She has done a great job
5. Lastly, as far as this board is concerned:
a. Very little of her success can be attributed to Coach Auriemma.
b. Baylor, post Griner, has continued to be a major WCBB power.

Congratulations!

Reaction Score
Well, isn't it a good thing that she accomplished this. Seems like she has done a very fine job there. I have always said that she wants Baylor to be the program like UConn that has the most National Championships. Records are made and records are broken.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kim who continues to do a great job in Waco, TX. But you’re not really comparing apples to apples when you compare how Kim and Geno got to 600 wins respectively.

Certainly, the AAC schedule is nothing to crow about, but in all those seasons in the OBE, UConn was facing much tougher competition than Baylor in the Big 12. Even this year, the Big 12 is more like the Big 1 plus the 11 little sisters. The Big 12 is the sole P5 conference with just 1 team in the top 25, same as the AAC.

Ad in the fact that UConn always plays a really tough OOC schedule, while Baylor typically lines up more cupcakes than the school bake sale. Just this season Baylor has statement wins over the likes of: Grambling St, Houston Baptist, Lamar & Morehead St, to name a few.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Kim who continues to do a great job in Waco, TX. But you’re not really comparing apples to apples when you compare how Kim and Geno got to 600 wins respectively.

Certainly, the AAC schedule is nothing to crow about, but in all those seasons in the OBE, UConn was facing much tougher competition than Baylor in the Big 12. Even this year, the Big 12 is more like the Big 1 plus the 11 little sisters. The Big 12 is the sole P5 conference with just 1 team in the top 25, same as the AAC.

Ad in the fact that UConn always plays a really tough OOC schedule, while Baylor typically lines up more cupcakes than the school bake sale. Just this season Baylor has statement wins over the likes of: Grambling St, Houston Baptist, Lamar & Morehead St, to name a few.

Good point. Good coach, but perhaps we should prorate the wins. For example, wins against teams ranked 300+ only count as half a win.

Reaction Score
How many championships did Baylor win with Brittney Griner and Kalani Brown? They won 1 each. That's underachieving. All-time the series is 4-4.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why can’t we just say congratulations and and leave it that no need to make excuses why she was quicker than Geno to 600
I have no problem with congratulating a great coach for achieving a milestone. But when the Baylor SID puts out a press release highlighting names like Rupp, Auriemma & Summitt, it absolutely invites comparisons, whether or not they are actually warranted.

The Baylor SID could have simply issued a congratulatory press release on Kim’s achievement of 600 coaching wins, without the comparison to either current great coaches or legendary coaches from another era, including both MBB & WBB. That would have been classier and far more appropriate.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is "comparing" Kim to Geno, as you just can't. If you had listened to Kim talk about her "600th" win, you would have heard her say that all the credit goes to her coaches that have been with her for a long time, and the players. Whether you like her or not, she is a good coach and milestones like this are good for Women's Basketball!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is "comparing" Kim to Geno, as you just can't. If you had listened to Kim talk about her "600th" win, you would have heard her say that all the credit goes to her coaches that have been with her for a long time, and the players. Whether you like her or not, she is a good coach and milestones like this are good for Women's Basketball!
As I pointed out in my previous post. Baylor University is most definitely comparing Kim to Geno, along with Rupp, Summitt, Williams, Wooden & Smith.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First, we do not need to justify Geno/CD based on this # of wins Ms Mulkey has rightfully achieved. Stop parsing and making excuses for her now owning the record. Let’s congratulate her and be gracious. She is still either 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order (maybe 4th if the PAC12 brethren have anything to say). She has done a great job and looks good for the foreseeable future. She has a tall task ahead to match Geno’s winning percentage and National Titles but that’s the fun of it. Don’t stoop to nitpicking And belittlement, we are better than that. Congrats Kim Mulkey. Keep going and pass MM!:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom