Much love to Nika | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Much love to Nika

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It depends. If it is a " high ankle " sprain, she is out 4-6 weeks.

And she will be greatly missed. She was looking more and more comfortable each game. A defensive terror.

Injuries can end any great team's season fast. In UCONN's case, we have tremendous depth to help us along. Anna getting her feet back would be a big help, and Geno is starting to like what he is seeing from Mir in practice.

But we can hope. I did see Nika smile and she had a brief exchange with Paige which I imagine was something like this; " You gonna be okay?" Positive nod, in response, from Nika. We'll know more tomorrow.

Yeah, she had a really pained look on her face coming out of the locker room. But a couple of minutes later, they showed her talking to Shea, and they were both smiling.

I suspect it's easy to mistake a scowl on Nika's face for a pained look. I'm sure the pained look was really something like, "C'mon, lemme in on crutches, I'm sure I can pick her pocket a couple more times."

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They wont need Nika until the Sweet 16 game at the earliest. It appears she might be ready by then. If Geno even hinted that she might try to play for tomorrow, that means it's not too bad of a sprain.

I've seem much more gruesome ankle twists from stepping on other's feet. Yes, there was a clear twist, but not a worse case scenario.
Years ago I broke my ankle landing on someone’s foot in a pick up game. One of the players was a Yale med student who looked at my ankle and said he didn’t think it was broken. Walked on it for a day before going to the emergency room where X rays showed the break. He’s now a prof at a well known university med school. On the rare occasions over the years when we see each other, we joke about his conclusion and I tell him I’m glad he didn’t go in to orthopedics.

Reaction Score
Having been through it a few times myself, when you sprain an ankle as badly as Nika did, it hurts like hell and your first reaction is fear, thinking you’ve broken it. Once you get the swelling down, it can start to feel better pretty quickly.

I don’t know that we’ll see her tomorrow or the next day, but it would not surprise me if she’s back in a few days.

Low ankle sprain and you may see her in a few days. High ankle sprain and it's likely at least a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Get well Nika. You are a terrific player. All the sportscasters pronounce Nika's last name, Muhl, as "Mule." Am I wrong in thinking the correct pronunciation is "Mool?"
I'm sure it's not all sportscasters, I bet if you take a poll on the Boneyard you'll get about 10+ ways of says "Mull" :rolleyes:

Jim

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
There should be a lot of videos of Nika around, are there not any of her saying her own name or correcting someone of the pronunciation?

Reaction Score
Yesterday she was just spectacular. When can you last remember such a defensive performance by a PG? She was so intense and focused it was palpable. Is this the same young woman who had tears streaming down her face on the bench? Talk about Geno pushing the right button. The transformation has been almost occult. Everyone says imagine Paige, imagine Liah in 4 years. I say imagine Nika. You are watching the early stages of the development of a great point guard.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
How do you make a u with two dots over it like that? SNY does it too.
On a windows PC keyboard, Press and hold the 'alt' key and type 0252 on the numeric keypad (make sure 'Number Lock' is active)

Like this: ü ... Mühl :)

Character Shortcut
ä hold down ALT, then type 0228
ö hold down ALT, then type 0246
ü hold down ALT, then type 0252
Ä hold down ALT, then type 0196
Ö hold down ALT, then type 0214
Ü hold down ALT, then type 0220
ß hold down ALT, then type 0223

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yesterday she was just spectacular. When can you last remember such a defensive performance by a PG?
Do the name Moriah Jefferson ring a bell? (Sorry Flip!) In 2016 Moriah was named the American WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year and consensus first team All-American for the second straight season. Also in 2016 Moriah earned earn the Nancy Lieberman Award, nation's top point guard. She one of only four players in the award's history to claim the honor twice."

Reaction Score
Google how to do it for your device. Common in German.
The two other languages I speak (badly) are German and Turkish. Umlauts are present in both. We often butcher names from other languages. Virtually no one pronounces my name correctly, even immediately after I introduce myself. Or spell it correctly. Biggest problem was the great pitcher Bobby Shantz who gave up spelling his name Schantz or correcting pronunciation—it does not rhyme with chance.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Do the name Moriah Jefferson ring a bell? (Sorry Flip!) In 2016 Moriah was named the American WBCA NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the Year and consensus first team All-American for the second straight season. Also in 2016 Moriah earned earn the Nancy Lieberman Award, nation's top point guard. She one of only four players in the award's history to claim the honor twice."
If Nika can emulate Mo Jeff throughout her time at UConn we will all be happy. And I think Flip borrowed that line from Amos and Andy. Go Huskies and well wishes to our Nika.

Reaction Score
Let's all take a step back and STOP BEING "Desktop Doctor Wannabees" (let the professionals determine the extent of her injuries)

1615130448467.png

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Mule.

It’s really Mühl, which accounts for the long U, but no one seems to respect the umlaut.
Muehl is how it should be pronounced. The umlaut is a phonetic stretching of the vowel denoting that the pronunciation assumes an "e" to be the next letter. We have a favorite German Winery, "Wëgmüler", which is spelled out in English as Weegmueller... Just add the extra "e" after the character with the umlaut.. Muehl

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nika is an ever-present Badass who has learned how not to foul and refined her 3-point shot. She and Aaliyah bring the attitude we have lacked since Gabby and Kia.

Best wishes to Nika! The Boneyard loves you!! :)
Glad you made that point. I've felt along that Nika brings to the table (or has the potential to bring to the table) what Kia Nurse brought to the table, both offensively and defensively.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
?
This
According to this announcers and others have been pronouncing Anna's name wrong. The accent is on the second syllable. Good to know. Thank you Nan.

Reaction Score
It's an educated guess from someone who has had several ankle sprains over my lifetime. You don't turn over an ankle at 45 degrees and come back quickly.
Yeah that one looked really bad. It may be better to be a break than a torn ligament. If it's neither, then I think it will be at least 2 weeks. I've had them before as well and they hurt like hell and hamper your lateral movement, not so much straight ahead but cutting is almost impossible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom