Much Better From Ollie | The Boneyard

Much Better From Ollie

Reaction Score
No one is more critical of Ollie than me, but this game was much better from Ollie. Better in game, better with lineup and personnel, and what I was looking for in being sincere and honest post-game.

All is not lost people. Jalen, Vital, and Antwoine are legit. Larrier and Rique(off the bench) with Mamadou gives us enough to be competitive going forward and win the games we need to make the tournament.

Good sign that we are learning to win close games again albeit against mid-majors. It builds confidence for the future.

Reaction Score
We still need a point guard. I suspect Jalen is not the answer, and with AG hurt who can we turn to?

Reaction Score
There were moments of pretty good offensive play. Coming out of the half KO made good adjustments on doubling their bigs and locking down Seahorse. The lapses where they revert to no pass, huck up a covered shot need to be significantly mitigated. Diarra stepped up. Anderson showed he could be our lock down defender. Vital played really gutsy again. (He disappeared at the PK80.) Jalen continued to make big plays when most crucial.

Monmouth not terrible, but still a long way to go. Need to get everyone back and healthy.

Reaction Score
I’m not really concerned with our offense, we just need to make shots and/or Jalen play well. Our defense better get much better fast

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
best win of the season, imo, for the majority of the game they played as a team. It was a tough win, albeit against Monmouth, but very happy with the effort and communication. This team played with heart today. Good job boys!

Reaction Score
So for all the Ollie haters ?? Was it great coaching down the stretch or was it JA making great shots ?

Reaction Score
Ollie did well with his timeouts late and the team started the second half playing like a team He still needs to be a more forceful leader so we don't go soft on offense and blow leads chucking up shots on one pass possessions. Someone on the court also needs to demand better offense from his teammates. It would help everything if Larrier would shoot better or stop shooting as much either/or and if JA could learn to hit 2 free throws in a row.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Jalen is the PG, no one can hit shots so he doesn’t get assists, and because of that he has to take over and score.

He’s right, you’re wrong.

Compared to last year’s team, he has many more options, but he’s calling his own number a lot more than he did last year.

His shots are up by half over last year and his assists are half of what they were last year.

Monmouth’s run in the second half was started when Jalen bailed on team basketball and went into audition-mode on a possession. Took a no-hope shot and then committed a foul on the other end - UConn went into an immediate offensive and defensive tailspin.

His points per game look great - but he’s not playing well.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's going to be amusing if we get in the tournament because we win every game we are supposed to either in overtime or right at the end. There is something to be said for winning close games (even against crappy teams), but crappy teams don't play in the NCAA tournament.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No one is more critical of Ollie than me, but this game was much better from Ollie. Better in game, better with lineup and personnel, and what I was looking for in being sincere and honest post-game.

All is not lost people. Jalen, Vital, and Antwoine are legit. Larrier and Rique(off the bench) with Mamadou gives us enough to be competitive going forward and win the games we need to make the tournament.

Good sign that we are learning to win close games again albeit against mid-majors. It builds confidence for the future.

Magic, is this really you?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was pleased with KO tonight, especially with him post game

Ahhh....hmm.

I don’t know.

I agree - he nailed it during the post-game. But he was so slow to recognize that UConn had lost the tread in the second half. If I saw when it happened, he should be able to.

I give him credit for how he handled the front court tonight. I think he’s starting to realize that Diarra, Cobb and Carlton are the way to go - hopefully, he eventually realizes that DO is just a practice body.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie did well with his timeouts late and the team started the second half playing like a team He still needs to be a more forceful leader so we don't go soft on offense and blow leads chucking up shots on one pass possessions. Someone on the court also needs to demand better offense from his teammates. It would help everything if Larrier would shoot better or stop shooting as much either/or and if JA could learn to hit 2 free throws in a row.

They gotta treat Larrier like Rip-lite. Run him off multiple screens to free him for pullup jump shots. That's where he's best utilized.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I give him credit for how he handled the front court tonight. I think he’s starting to realize that Diarra, Cobb and Carlton are the way to go - hopefully, he eventually realizes that DO is just a practice body.

Stuck with DO waaaay too long in the first half. We were up 9 or so when he came in and then just got mugged. He's in the mold of guys we've had the last few years, but his OK defense doesn't in anyway make up for his deficiencies on offense.

The front court D worried me tonight. They always had a guy wide open on the back end for that secondary post pass. Bunnies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stuck with DO waaaay too long in the first half. We were up 9 or so when he came in and then just got mugged. He's in the mold of guys we've had the last few years, but his OK defense doesn't in anyway make up for his deficiencies on offense.

The front court D worried me tonight. They always had a guy wide open on the back end for that secondary post pass. Bunnies.

Bless his soul, DO does nothing a basketball team needs to have done.

Bad defensively, doesn’t rebound in traffic, has no concept of what to do with a basketball when he touches one and commits fouls like he has a quota.

I did like part of the D tonight - I thought the double team with the post and Larrier was very effective at times. That gave Monmouth fits, but as per custom, Monmouth adjusted away from that and started driving more without UConn really adjusting.

Reaction Score
He’s right, you’re wrong.

Compared to last year’s team, he has many more options, but he’s calling his own number a lot more than he did last year.

His shots are up by half over last year and his assists are half of what they were last year.

Monmouth’s run in the second half was started when Jalen bailed on team basketball and went into audition-mode on a possession. Took a no-hope shot and then committed a foul on the other end - UConn went into an immediate offensive and defensive tailspin.

His points per game look great - but he’s not playing well.
Guess it’s simple as that huh

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Well we are definitely better than last year’s team, so that’s something
Last year we lost to Northeastern and a school called Wagner. This year Columbia and a school called Monmouth took us to OT. We won those.

We have averted a crash!

Reaction Score
They gotta treat Larrier like Rip-lite. Run him off multiple screens to free him for pullup jump shots. That's where he's best utilized.

Larrier was off today, 5-14. He missed a couple of bunnies and short jumpers he usually buries. But he has a couple of nice assists and led us in boards. Hope he finds his stroke versus SU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom