Mt Rushmore of UConn WCBB | The Boneyard

Mt Rushmore of UConn WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
With the announcement of Co-POY for the AAC being the Bobbsey Twins, and the HBO show where Geno mentions DT with Maya and Stewie on, it go me thinking of who would be on the Mount Rushmore of UConn Women's Basketball. The criteria is 4 only!
Here's my crack at it:

Rebecca Lobo- she put us on the map, has continued to be the torchbearer of Geno's aura
Diana Taurasi-nuf ced
Maya Moore-ditto
Breanna Stewart-the most gifted of all these

So, what are your thoughts and feedback?

Reaction Score
it's hard to argue against any of those choices

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
With the announcement of Co-POY for the AAC being the Bobbsey Twins, and the HBO show where Geno mentions DT with Maya and Stewie on, it go me thinking of who would be on the Mount Rushmore of UConn Women's Basketball. The criteria is 4 only!
Here's my crack at it:

Rebecca Lobo- she put us on the map, has continued to be the torchbearer of Geno's aura
Diana Taurasi-nuf ced
Maya Moore-ditto

Yeah we've been around this mountain a few times over the years. The trouble has always been to get consensus on just 4.
Actually I think Breanna's legacy makes that pare-down a little easier.

For the record, here's a picture from circa 2014 that shows the people that typically get wrapped into the conversation. It wasn't the last time the discussion came up but it was at the time folks started adding Stewie in the mix. Tends to be all about the criteria one sets when one tried to get it down to 4.

And oh yeah, that's Stewie they are starting to carve in on the left.

Huskymore_plus_stewie.jpg

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If we can only have 4 - then--------

Geno, CD, Rebecca and D!

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Yeah we've been around this mountain a few times over the years. The trouble has always been to get consensus on just 4.
Actually I think Breanna's legacy makes that pare-down a little easier.

For the record, here's a picture from circa 2014 that shows the people that typically get wrapped into the conversation. It wasn't the last time the discussion came up but it was at the time folks started adding Stewie in the mix. Tends to be all about the criteria one sets when one tried to get it down to 4.

And oh yeah, that's Stewie they are starting to carve in on the left.

View attachment 20292
Wow! Just Wow! How you did that so quick is pretty freakin amazing.

:);)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If we can only have 4 - then-.----.

Geno, CD, Rebecca and D!

I get it with Geno and CD, however just like good ole USA, we had our founding fathers AND then we had our Presidents. I am looking for the Presidents. Geno and CD should get their own Memorials ala Lincoln/Jefferson (go ahead creative BYer's make a montage of CD on Geno's lap or vice versa!).

I am curious as to who else people would say who the 4 are and why.

Apologize to Kibitz here but I prefer to nominate ONLY 4 Badasses, no more!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Actually I think Breanna's legacy makes that par=full]20292[/ATTACH]

Who is that to the immediate right of DT? She appears to be one of my former students.

Reaction Score
The four that Geno mentioned in the HBO episode.....Lobo, DT, Maya and Stewart.

Reaction Score
It’s all about the criteria, as Biff said. If historical significance matters, then Lobo is a lock.

Personally, I’m curious about who the best four players are. I think Taurasi, Moore, and Stewie are givens, so the question is who’s #4. For me, the contenders are Lobo, Tina Charles, Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, and Moriah Jefferson. All of them were NPOY except Jefferson, who would have won it but for Stewie.

The stats for those three bigs (Lobo, Charles, and Wolters) are pretty close, as are the stats for those three point guards (Bird, Rizzotti, and MoJeff). As far as the eye test goes, my impression was that Tina Charles played at the highest level of the six, but only in her senior season. In that year, she was as good as her teammate Maya Moore, which really says it all.

However, this is about all four years, not just one. And in my opinion — which will probably be shouted down by everyone — Moriah Jefferson was the fourth best player in UConn history.

Believe me, I haven’t forgotten how good Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo were. But I think Jefferson was even better. She was the best perimeter defender I’ve ever seen, a blur in transition, a great 3-point shooter, and a penetrator you couldn't stay in front of. And like every great point guard, she knew when to distribute and when to score. True, Bird was an even better 3-point shooter, as well as being perhaps the best player ever at running an offense. But MoJeff was no slouch in her own right at running an offense, and she was the better defender, had a much higher field goal percentage, and changed games by creating transition points for UConn via her speed. I’d give her the nod.

Reaction Score
Who is that to the immediate right of DT? She appears to be one of my former students.
It's Kerry Bascom who grew up and played HS ball 20 miles down the road from me in NH. She not only was a great all around player but may possibly be the toughest young lady ever to play at UConn. I remember Auriemma saying in his Geno Show that with one shot left to win a NC he'd have Bascom take it. Of all the great players he's had, that shows how he values her.

Reaction Score
Here's my crack at it:

Diana Taurasi-nuf ced
Maya Moore-ditto

Yes dead on. If two more I go Bird and PHEES!! Yes phees!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom