Mt Rushmore of UConn WCBB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mt Rushmore of UConn WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
New mountain.

Bascom, Bird, Charles and ?
That was an awesome post that just made me burst out laughing on my commuter train from NYC! Thanks for that! Though the two guys next me are wondering what the heck I am doing on my iPad...

Reaction Score
It’s all about the criteria, as Biff said. If historical significance matters, then Lobo is a lock.

Personally, I’m curious about who the best four players are. I think Taurasi, Moore, and Stewie are givens, so the question is who’s #4. For me, the contenders are Lobo, Tina Charles, Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, and Moriah Jefferson. All of them were NPOY except Jefferson, who would have won it but for Stewie.

The stats for those three bigs (Lobo, Charles, and Wolters) are pretty close, as are the stats for those three point guards (Bird, Rizzotti, and MoJeff). As far as the eye test goes, my impression was that Tina Charles played at the highest level of the six, but only in her senior season. In that year, she was as good as her teammate Maya Moore, which really says it all.

However, this is about all four years, not just one. And in my opinion — which will probably be shouted down by everyone — Moriah Jefferson was the fourth best player in UConn history.

Believe me, I haven’t forgotten how good Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo were. But I think Jefferson was even better. She was the best perimeter defender I’ve ever seen, a blur in transition, a great 3-point shooter, and a penetrator you couldn't stay in front of. And like every great point guard, she knew when to distribute and when to score. True, Bird was an even better 3-point shooter, as well as being perhaps the best player ever at running an offense. But MoJeff was no slouch in her own right at running an offense, and she was the better defender, had a much higher field goal percentage, and changed games by creating transition points for UConn via her speed. I’d give her the nod.
It’s all about the criteria, as Biff said. If historical significance matters, then Lobo is a lock.

Personally, I’m curious about who the best four players are. I think Taurasi, Moore, and Stewie are givens, so the question is who’s #4. For me, the contenders are Lobo, Tina Charles, Sue Bird, Jen Rizzotti, Kara Wolters, and Moriah Jefferson. All of them were NPOY except Jefferson, who would have won it but for Stewie.

The stats for those three bigs (Lobo, Charles, and Wolters) are pretty close, as are the stats for those three point guards (Bird, Rizzotti, and MoJeff). As far as the eye test goes, my impression was that Tina Charles played at the highest level of the six, but only in her senior season. In that year, she was as good as her teammate Maya Moore, which really says it all.

However, this is about all four years, not just one. And in my opinion — which will probably be shouted down by everyone — Moriah Jefferson was the fourth best player in UConn history.

Believe me, I haven’t forgotten how good Sue Bird and Rebecca Lobo were. But I think Jefferson was even better. She was the best perimeter defender I’ve ever seen, a blur in transition, a great 3-point shooter, and a penetrator you couldn't stay in front of. And like every great point guard, she knew when to distribute and when to score. True, Bird was an even better 3-point shooter, as well as being perhaps the best player ever at running an offense. But MoJeff was no slouch in her own right at running an offense, and she was the better defender, had a much higher field goal percentage, and changed games by creating transition points for UConn via her speed. I’d give her the nod.
Good point, but Nykesha Sales should also be included.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Difficult to chose from all the above mentioned. Made me think who those players would pick from their less hearlded teammates? My picks - Jamelle Elliot, Shea Ralph, Ann Strother, Kelly Faris...

Reaction Score
The UCONN women are bigger than Mt Rushmore.
Find a bigger mountain.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the announcement of Co-POY for the AAC being the Bobbsey Twins, and the HBO show where Geno mentions DT with Maya and Stewie on, it go me thinking of who would be on the Mount Rushmore of UConn Women's Basketball. The criteria is 4 only!
Here's my crack at it:

Rebecca Lobo- she put us on the map, has continued to be the torchbearer of Geno's aura
Diana Taurasi-nuf ced
Maya Moore-ditto
Breanna Stewart-the most gifted of all these

So, what are your thoughts and feedback?

DefenseBB, This is a debate we've had here in the yard before. In fact, I remember starting a debate on this very same topic. One thing I know, there are not four former players that everyone will agree on. For the reason (fact) you can only have 4, is the reason there can never be a consensus.

Everybody has their favorite, and they want that favorite on the mount. Already others here have suggested that you need a bigger mountain. There are just too many MEGA STARS in the history of this program to whittle it down to four. Personally, I could live with the same 4 you've chosen, for the same reasons. :)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mount Rushmore is too small to contain our programs greatest stars. I submit we map out greatest players to the planets in our solar system. Just a thought

Mercury (Mo Jefferson Fastest Player = Fastest Planet in terms of revolution)

Venus ( our Diva Swin Cash or our precious Nykesha Sales)

Earth - Moon (Diana Taurasi - Sue Bird worked so well together)

Mars (Maya Moore for the goddess of war)

The Big's get the giant planets

Jupiter (Rebecca Lobo)
Saturn (Stewie because of her rings :D)
Uranus (Tina Charles)
Neptune ( Kara Walters)

Pluto (Ice in veins as defined by Geno Kerry Bascom)

Would be nice to photoshop our players onto the planets

Oh yeah, The sun is Geno and I guess holding the pants up on our solar system is CD as the Asteroid Belt

Sorry. Just something to do before the game

Reaction Score
Mount Rushmore is too small to contain our programs greatest stars. I submit we map out greatest players to the planets in our solar system. Just a thought

Mercury (Mo Jefferson Fastest Player = Fastest Planet in terms of revolution)

Venus ( our Diva Swin Cash or our precious Nykesha Sales)

Earth - Moon (Diana Taurasi - Sue Bird worked so well together)

Mars (Maya Moore for the goddess of war)

The Big's get the giant planets

Jupiter (Rebecca Lobo)
Saturn (Stewie because of her rings :D)
Uranus (Tina Charles)
Neptune ( Kara Walters)

Pluto (Ice in veins as defined by Geno Kerry Bascom)

Would be nice to photoshop our players onto the planets

Oh yeah, The sun is Geno and I guess holding the pants up on our solar system is CD as the Asteroid Belt

Sorry. Just something to do before the game
Bravissimo!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I get it with Geno and CD, however just like good ole USA, we had our founding fathers AND then we had our Presidents. I am looking for the Presidents. Geno and CD should get their own Memorials ala Lincoln/Jefferson (go ahead creative BYer's make a montage of CD on Geno's lap or vice versa!)./QUOTE]

Please tell me that you know that Washington and Jefferson are two of the four presidents on Mt. Rushmore. Please :)

1st four:
Lobo, D, Maya, Stewie.

Next four:
Mo, Rizzotti, Sue, Tina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Bravissimo!
Oh. poop. Forgot Jen Rizatti. The original BadAss. Head bang

1) Maybe give her the saturn moon Titan (love the name titan)
2) Share mars with Maya (not very good:()
3) Perhaps Halley's Comet. A fiery messenger in the heavens delivering on cue :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It's about a body of work over four years, with greater emphasis on the NCAA tournament. Stewie had a sub par freshman year until the tournament. Neither Stewie nor
DT3 were FOY, even in their own conference. Diana shot 1 for 15 in her first Final Four game. Only Maya was a transcendant talent right out of high school. Everyone else was a project to some extent.

Reaction Score
Sue Bird played in 8 games her freshman year, averaging 5 points on 31% shooting. Is she out too?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo- she put us on the map, has continued to be the torchbearer of Geno's aura
Diana Taurasi-nuf ced
Maya Moore-ditto
Breanna Stewart-the most gifted of all these

So, what are your thoughts and feedback?
That's the four, next question.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

These are good thoughts but I'm firmly in the 'gonna need a bigger mountain" camp; I'm going to throw in Swin Cash, Svetlana, and Rene Montgomery just because I think they all deserve a mention.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I get it with Geno and CD, however just like good ole USA, we had our founding fathers AND then we had our Presidents. I am looking for the Presidents. Geno and CD should get their own Memorials ala Lincoln/Jefferson (go ahead creative BYer's make a montage of CD on Geno's lap or vice versa!).

Please tell me that you know that Washington and Jefferson are two of the four presidents on Mt. Rushmore. Please :)

1st four:
Lobo, D, Maya, Stewie.

Next four:
Mo, Rizzotti, Sue, Tina.

Reaction Score
Ain't UConn WCBB discussions just a lesson in futility? Where else could you throw maybe 20 names out over a 32 year program that at least a little case could be made to chisel a Mt. Rushmore and win most arguements. I know some will not sign on to a few but we throw names out and think abut their contributions. Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Wolters, brosimova, Bird, Tarausi, Cash, Sales, Moore, Charles, Montgomery, KML, Dolson, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Williams, Collier, Samuelsn. Maybe five mountains of distinction are in order? Just asking

Reaction Score

1st four:
Lobo, D, Maya, Stewie.

Next four:
Mo, Rizzotti, Sue, Tina.
I could get behind this, and Lobo's status is a lock if we're talking about overall significance rather than just quality of play.

In terms of quality of play, the best choice might be to leave a spot open on the first mountain for a player who hasn't arrived yet (Megan Walker?), while having a bigger second mountain to accommodate the seven players who all really deserve to be there.

Mountain #1: D, Maya, Stewie
Mountain #2: Lobo, Charles, Bird, MoJeff, Sales, Rizzotti, Wolters
Mountain #3: Bascom, KML, Tuck, Cash, Abrosimova, Montgomery, and whoever else I should have included (Shea Ralph? etc.)

Wally East

Reaction Score
I would swap Bascom for Riz. A program's Final Four is huge.

Oh, no doubt. She was an amazing player. I'd have no problem with that switch.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
How about another approach, categorizing the four spots?
Founder (nominees: Lobo, Rizzoti, Shumacher, Ralph, etc...)
Best Leader (nominees: DT, Sue Bird, ?)
Best Athlete (nominees: Maya, Briana, ?)
Hardest Worker (nominees: Kelly Farris, MoJo, Shea Ralph, ?)

still hard to figure out how to work in Nykesha Sales, and Svet and Swin, and Morgan, etc..... all deserving...

Reaction Score
ummmmm, its WOMENS basketball, we should get TWO mountains....wink

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom