MSST Little Rick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

MSST Little Rick

Reaction Score
There is legitimate 3 point shooting, and Howard was a huge get that cannot be underestimated.

People were definitely underestimating both in the preseason.

But they need to do better on free throws and turnovers. They are prone to get a bit sloppy at times. There is also a depth issue at PG with a big drop off from Holmes to Taylor.

ATO seven games in
Holmes 34:6
Danberry 28:9
Taylor 27:18

Reaction Score
I'll reserve judgment on this team until I see them play their December schedule. I've learned a few things from watching them play these games though. There is legitimate 3 point shooting, and Howard was a huge get that cannot be underestimated. But they need to do better on free throws and turnovers. They are prone to get a bit sloppy at times. There is also a depth issue at PG with a big drop off from Holmes to Taylor.
MSUFAN, I agree the opposition was less than stellar but the MSU playing quality was stellar. This team has the capability to be great. what I have not seen is the ability to produce when thing get tough because so far no game has really challenged them. Responding under pressure will determine if this team is great and hopefully we get that question answered soon.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'll reserve judgment on this team until I see them play their December schedule. I've learned a few things from watching them play these games though. There is legitimate 3 point shooting, and Howard was a huge get that cannot be underestimated. But they need to do better on free throws and turnovers. They are prone to get a bit sloppy at times. There is also a depth issue at PG with a big drop off from Holmes to Taylor.

3pt shooting will be something I'll keep my eyes on throughout the year. Against mediocre mid majors, players typically get wide open looks and don't feel the stress/pressure to hit shots that they do in big games. Tennessee a couple of years ago looked like a great 3pt team playing chippies and then turned out to be dreadful from deep. So far it looks very promising for Mississippi State with AEH/Bibby both proving to be capable shooters, but how they perform against better defenses and in bigger moments will be telling.

I do think Holmes is one of the most underrated PGs in the nation...I'm guessing her A/TO ration doesn't drop much as the competition improves. She's filled in perfectly for Morgan William with her defense, smart play and pass first nature. I also wont be surprised if Danberry gets the PG minutes over Taylor in big games.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score

Sloppy is simply due to the way we play. Vic trained everyone to play fast, tight, smothering, aggressive defense. We sprint and run all over the floor, and try not to give up an inch. Don't expect that to change... you can even see it in Bre'Amber Scott... she's a product of what Vic has groomed.

You truly think there's a big dropoff from Holmes to Taylor? Taylor is averaging more points with less minutes. Jazz looks more experienced no doubt, and she's adjusted to the game already where Taylor hasn't yet. And I've seen her make a few less bad plays, but I don't think there's a huge dropoff.

Reaction Score
The reason why I say there is a big drop off from Holmes to Taylor is because Taylor turns the ball over too much. Her ATO ratio is pretty bad. Scoring points isn't really her primary purpose. Her purpose is not to turn the ball over and to run the team. She's basically a freshman that is on a steep learning curve. We've had the luxury of having two starting PGs for the past 2 years, but that ain't so this year. I think Vic is going to have to run Danberry at the point like someone else suggested if Holmes has to come out. He actually did have Danberry playing PG last night when Holmes got 3 fouls in the first half. But yes, I do agree that the style we play causes more turnovers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sloppy is simply due to the way we play. Vic trained everyone to play fast, tight, smothering, aggressive defense. We sprint and run all over the floor, and try not to give up an inch. Don't expect that to change... you can even see it in Bre'Amber Scott... she's a product of what Vic has groomed.

You truly think there's a big dropoff from Holmes to Taylor? Taylor is averaging more points with less minutes. Jazz looks more experienced no doubt, and she's adjusted to the game already where Taylor hasn't yet. And I've seen her make a few less bad plays, but I don't think there's a huge dropoff.
I do. Holmes knows the other players spots and she looks for them when they get to their spot. She makes the other players better, Taylor does not have that court vision yet. Both players are playing hard but it is obvious, at least to me, the team is better when Jazz is the point guard. We really do not have any other player with Jazz’s basketball IQ, she is critical to MSST success.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I do. Holmes knows the other players spots and she looks for them when they get to their spot. She makes the other players better, Taylor does not have that court vision yet. Both players are playing hard but it is obvious, at least to me, the team is better when Jazz is the point guard. We really do not have any other player with Jazz’s basketball IQ, she is critical to MSST success.

Holmes was a major reason why Mississippi State was so good last year. There was zero dropoff from William to her.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'd say there's a difference between William and Holmes. William has offense. She scored 41 against Baylor after all.

I don't think so much that there's a dropoff between Myah and Jazz as they make different plays. I've seen Taylor make plays where I would say... "that's Taylor and no one else." She seems to attack at the right moment in the lane... when players are positioned in a certain way...,, and her sense of that is I think what allows her to have some really easy drives. It's also to do with the fact that she holds the ball far longer than any player we have, allowing more time for plays to develop. And is also why she has the most turnovers. You can't not hold the ball that long, and make so many dribbles without some turnovers. Holmes simply doesn't hold the ball as long. No doubt Holmes seems comfortable with things that Taylor isn't yet, she seems smoother running the court with the ball and she has an elbow jumper that Taylor isn't accustomed to yet. Taylor can sometimes get a 3-ball up though. Again, they're different, I'm just not ready to call this "a dropoff" like some State fans are quick to declare already.

Vic probably isn't gonna use Taylor against major competition anyways. She's not experienced enough, just like Bibby wasn't last year. I agree that the best solution now is probably to use Danberry at point guard when Holmes is out early, and have Espinoza-Hunter play shooting guard against certain teams that play equally as tough and hard as us. But for the majority of opponents (even soft playing teams like Kentucky), I don't think having Taylor out there is anything to be worried about.

Reaction Score
Who cares about non conference games. MSU plays Texas and Oregon and that's more than enough when you consider we play in the freakin SEC. UConn had better schedule tough non conference games with the conference they play in for goodness sakes...lol Besides, this is a sport where at the end of the season 64 teams get thrown in a winner take all tournament....it's not like college football where only 4 teams get to play in the final tournament...lol

Reaction Score
Who cares about non conference games. MSU plays Texas and Oregon and that's more than enough when you consider we play in the freakin SEC. UConn had better schedule tough non conference games with the conference they play in for goodness sakes...lol Besides, this is a sport where at the end of the season 64 teams get thrown in a winner take all tournament....it's not like college football where only 4 teams get to play in the final tournament...lol

Come on, the SEC is not exactly Murderer's Row. Plenty of weak sisters in that league.

Reaction Score
I

Compared to whom? The AAC? :)

Never suggested the AAC was stronger than the SEC. But I think the ACC and PAC 12 are. And it gets a little tiresome to hear over and over SEC teams justify ridiculously soft OOC schedules because they get all the competition they need in the SEC. How many national championships for SEC teams in the last 10 years?

Reaction Score
Never suggested the AAC was stronger than the SEC. But I think the ACC and PAC 12 are. And it gets a little tiresome to hear over and over SEC teams justify ridiculously soft OOC schedules because they get all the competition they need in the SEC. How many national championships for SEC teams in the last 10 years?

4 In the last 11 years...hw many does the PAC 12 And Big 12 have?

Tenn - 2
A&M -1
SC -1

Reaction Score

You get better by playing better teams! If you schedule cupcakes, it WILL come back and bite you in March! Just ask Kim Mulkey.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You get better by playing better teams! If you schedule cupcakes, it WILL come back and bite you in March! Just ask Kim Mulkey.
Or Frese.

Reaction Score

Tenn - 2
A&M -1
SC -1

Correction. Two

2018 ND
2017 SC
2016 UConn
2015 UConn
2014 UConn
2013 UConn
2012 Baylor
2011 A&M
2010 UConn
2009 UConn

And the reference to the Pac 12 was concerning this year. And I never mentioned the Big 12 (but they have the same number of titles in the past ten years as the SEC).

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Certainly won't see me defending the SEC this year. Looks pretty pedestrian with few exceptions.

I'm not one who gets into schedule bashing. Whatever works for a coach. Sure not going to argue with the results from MSU's scheduling the past two years. Seems he likes to take it easy and play with lineups for 5 or 6 games and then setup some tougher games and road challenges in December before league play.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Tenn - 2
A&M -1
SC -1
I agree that recent history favors the SEC. But I think your math is off. I think the SEC has two, and the Big 12 has two , in the last 11 years. A&M was still in the Big 12 when they won in 2011. And Tennessee's win in 2007 is out of the time span. But your point is still valid. Guess we all will see how well everyone does this year in March. Go huskies! :)

Reaction Score
Correction. Two

2018 ND
2017 SC
2016 UConn
2015 UConn
2014 UConn
2013 UConn
2012 Baylor
2011 A&M
2010 UConn
2009 UConn

And the reference to the Pac 12 was concerning this year. And I never mentioned the Big 12 (but they have the same number of titles in the past ten years as the SEC).

Correction to me. One. A&M in Big 12 in 2011 (which I noted in my later comment but didn't go back to correct my initial comment. My mistake. Apologies).

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Correction to me. One. A&M in Big 12 in 2011 (which I noted in my later comment but didn't go back to correct my initial comment. My mistake. Apologies).

I noticed it, but after all your effort wasn't about to be jerk and correct you.:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom