MS State thoughts for 2021-22 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

MS State thoughts for 2021-22

Reaction Score
Yeah.... can't see how anyone can reason our roster is better than last year. By any significant difference.

NMP is really up against an SEC that's getting stronger by the day. Reminds me when the SEC west became stacked in the early 00s in football, and Jackie Sherrill became obsolete and forced into retirement.
Hayes can be a big time scorer, that’s really the only difference to me.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Hayes can be a big time scorer, that’s really the only difference to me.

No doubt, but I don't think she negates the exit of 6 players. The others that came in will barely impact anything.

Reaction Score
6 players left. Cooks, Morris and Wiggins combined to contribute 10.7 ppg and 6.6 rpg per game, so primarily we are talking about MSU needing to replace Hayes, Matharu and Mingo-Young. The incoming Hayes sisters alone are a pretty good match for those three, then you have Jerkaila Jordan and Ashley Jones also coming in as transfers and they should be solid contributors. Plus there are the 4 players in the signing class. And while you say an additional player may transfer, keep in mind that one or two additional players may sign. The bottom line is that as things stand at the moment, MSU has upgraded their roster, not gotten weaker. It feels like you just hadn't posted anything negative about MSU in a while so you were grasping for straws with your post about the roster getting worse.

Honestly, you haven't lost much worth worrying about yet. The bigger question is how well the players who are left play.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Dawn is recruiting so well that it will be difficult to beat South Carolina going forward. I can see Mulkey becoming the main competition for Dawn though. It will probably be more interesting than anything State does.

I never thought State would compete for titles once Vic left. It was a good run that gave the fans a lot of enjoyment, but I don't see anyone else besides Vic being able to do that in Starkville. I guess that's why I don't get upset about any of it. Maybe I'll be surprised one day, but we are not a destination job for an established, successful P5 coach. Our options are a first time head coach or the head coach of a smaller program. So you have to hope you can get lucky with one of those options.

Reaction Score
Honestly, you haven't lost much worth worrying about yet. The bigger question is how well the players who are left play.
M Hayes and A Matharu were pretty big losses but neither were irreplaceable. A Hayes was a plus from A Matharu and is a much better defensive player.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

Nobody we gained that will make much difference either. Anastasia being the only one. Don't think that's enough tho when we basically have one frontcourt player left, if she even stays.

Reaction Score
Nobody we gained that will make much difference either. Anastasia being the only one. Don't think that's enough tho when we basically have one frontcourt player left, if she even stays.

Not sure how many SEC teams have a better four than Taylor, Hayes, Jackson and Carter.

They have to actually play well together and the jury is out on that, but I don't think Miss State has really lost anything of particular relevance.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many SEC teams have a better four than Taylor, Hayes, Jackson and Carter.

They have to actually play well together and the jury is out on that, but I don't think Miss State has really lost anything of particular relevance.
If Rickea and Carter really wants to be there. Then we'll see a huge improvement. If not. It'll be the same body language and results from last year

Reaction Score
If Rickea and Carter really wants to be there. Then we'll see a huge improvement. If not. It'll be the same body language and results from last year

Rickea Jackson has to be a star for it to go well for Miss State next year. To me, that's the whole question.

I'm not in a position to say what exactly the problem was for her other than to say taking more threes didn't go well last year. Whether that's because she didn't have a great offseason or that's not in her true skill set, I'm not sure.

Taylor and Carter seemed to do fine offensively under Nikki.

I'm not sure if all the Hayes sisters are not more of a headache than help, but there is certainly more scoring there than Miss State had in the losses. I don't think Mutharu, Wiggins, and Mingo-Young are particularly worth worrying about. Add the Tulane transfer to Hayes and the guard group is probably better.

Morris is just a bench big and Cooks arguably isn't much more than that though she is a starting caliber player if not at all a star.

Madison Hayes hadn't done much yet, but to me is easily the only major long term transfer casualty.

I feel like there is pressure on Miss State to improve, but they aren't necessarily in a worse place than they already were.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Soooo... any of the MSST faithful have insight on the Wes Brooks situation?

Reaction Score
Soooo... any of the MSST faithful have insight on the Wes Brooks situation?
854c2728dae197050bba0f9167c20d4b.gif

Just kidding

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ouch! Wes Brooks to Ohio State?! How many days or weeks was he on the job at Mississippi State?

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
A couple of decent teams at best (South Dakota St/Oklahoma/Michigan), but once again a pretty boring schedule.

Reaction Score
A couple of decent teams at best (South Dakota St/Oklahoma/Michigan), but once again a pretty boring schedule.

Michigan should be better than "decent at best" given how they played at the end of last season and who they return.

South Dakota State, Dayton, UT Martin, Troy, and Jackson State all won their conference or conference tournaments last season, and Bethune Cookman has won their conference or conference tournament the past few years.

UT Martin and Troy likely take major steps back without Perry and Dye, though Dayton should be solid.

Anyone know if Ameshya Williams is returning to Jackson State?

Reaction Score
Anyone know if Ameshya Williams is returning to Jackson State?
Maybe, they don't have their 21-22 roster listed. She will only be 25 years old her next birthday. So 7 or 8 years removed from high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom